Who has better 2D games? Saturn or PS1?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts

While 3D is an entirely different dinosaur, the Saturn and PS1 have many 2D games. Some exclusive, and some shared between them. But out of the two, which system do you prefer for 2D games?

But remember, quality not quantity. THe Saturn has more focus on 2D games, and has more of them. However, number aren't everything. What system do you think has the best quality 2D games in your opinion?

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

Well the Sega Saturn has lots of the PS1 2D games and some more (like Astal) that are awesome, so i go for Sega Saturn.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#3 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I gotta go with the Saturn on this one, the fighitng games are what decided it for me.

Another48hours

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Another48hours
Member since 2012 • 1970 Posts
How so?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darkman2007
How so?Another48hours
you mean in regards to fighting games? simply because the arcade ports are almost always better on the Saturn , many of these ports are games like XvsSF and SFA3, which are better on the Saturn. youve also got the Neo Geo ports, which from what Ive played, are also better on the Saturn.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Saturn, for sure. Most of the 2D games on PS1 were also on Saturn, and done better on the Saturn. And then it has a lot of 2D games that exclusive to the Saturn to boot (and many of them are fantastic). Guardian Heroes and Darius Gaiden are two of the best 2D games of that generation, and exclusive to the Saturn.

Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

yeah the saturn wasnt even released to be an essentially 3d machine. thats why it tanked. believe it or not it was twice as 3d as originally planned. sega did some emergency 3d updating when they found out about the PS.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkman2007

Saturn, for sure. Most of the 2D games on PS1 were also on Saturn, and done better on the Saturn. And then it has a lot of 2D games that exclusive to the Saturn to boot (and many of them are fantastic). Guardian Heroes and Darius Gaiden are two of the best 2D games of that generation, and exclusive to the Saturn.

Emerald_Warrior
Darius Gaiden did make it to the PS1 if I remember correctly, though from what I hear its not a particularly good port.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Darkman2007

Darius Gaiden did make it to the PS1 if I remember correctly, though from what I hear its not a particularly good port.

Not that I've ever heard of. Far as I know, PS1 got G-Darius while Saturn got Darius Gaiden.

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

An example not as well known as some of the other pretty 2D Saturn games, an Adventure from Enix Corp.

Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari screens and info

http://hg101.kontek.net/nanatsukaze/nanatsukaze.htm

the game in motion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFTQtmwy9dE

Princess Crown, Magic Knight Rayearth, Astal, Guardian Heroes, Cotton Boomerang, Dungeons and Dragons Collection: Shadow Over Mystara, Psychic Killer Taromaru, etc.

This isn't quantity over quality, its a bunch of games that I suspect would have had their animations cut, scaling removed, sprites reduced, etc. if they had appeared on the PSX.

Also it's not just fighters like Marvel Superhoes vs. Street Fighter that had its animations cut for the PS1 version, games like Silhouette Mirage suffered a similar fate.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Not that I've ever heard of. Far as I know, PS1 got G-Darius while Saturn got Darius Gaiden.

Im pretty sure it was on the PS1 too , but it came out years later, and maybe only in Japan
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

I'm not sure, Saturn has more quantity for 2D games but PS1 has Symphony of the Night(which I know is on the Saturn but only in japanese which doesn't work for me, okay for fighting games like X-Men vs Street Fighter, etc) and Strider 2.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

Satun, since it was originally designed to be a 2-d system. It's 2-D fighting games ran much smoother and looked better than the Playstations. The Saturn had Marvel Super Heroes. Marvel vs. Street Fighter and X-Men vs. Street Fighter, which were all good. Playstation bad none of those games. Also, the Saturn had Radint Silvergun, so it wins. Playstation did have Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, though.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007

I'm not sure, Saturn has more quantity for 2D games but PS1 has Symphony of the Night(which I know is on the Saturn but only in japanese which doesn't work for me, okay for fighting games like X-Men vs Street Fighter, etc) and Strider 2.

Eikichi-Onizuka
strictly speaking, SOTN is not a 2D game in any way, in fact, the polygon use is not even hidden all that well. the gameplay is obviously 2D though, so it counts in that way.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]

Darkman2007
strictly speaking, SOTN is not a 2D game in any way, in fact, the polygon use is not even hidden all that well. the gameplay is obviously 2D though, so it counts in that way.

Yes OP didn't specify so I went from a gameplay view.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

Doesn't really matter either way, because SOTN is on Saturn.

Mario2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Mario2007
Member since 2005 • 2520 Posts
Where's Banjo? Page 2 and he hasn't shown up...
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"] strictly speaking, SOTN is not a 2D game in any way, in fact, the polygon use is not even hidden all that well. the gameplay is obviously 2D though, so it counts in that way.Emerald_Warrior

Doesn't really matter either way, because SOTN is on Saturn.

not as good though , the Saturn version has various problems, chief among them is the rampant (although not game breaking) slowdown.
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#21 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

I gotta go with the Saturn on this one, the fighitng games are what decided it for me.

Darkman2007

Surprise, surprise, why am I not dumbfounded at my guess you would come in and say saturn...

Are fighting games the only genre? I will admit the saturn may have it beat on that but the PS1 hate better 2D in many other genres. Saturn also might have Shoot em ups but the roll of victory stops there.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

Surprise, surprise, why am I not dumbfounded at my guess you would come in and say saturn...

Are fighting games the only genre? I will admit the saturn may have it beat on that but the PS1 hate better 2D in many other genres. Saturn also might have Shoot em ups but the roll of victory stops there.

not sure if its the only genre, but given the fact fighting is one of my favourite genre, its enough to tilt this argument for me personally.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#23 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
Yes but this is overall not you personally. This is the same issue you had in your arguments against the N64.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Darkman2007
Yes but this is overall not you personally. This is the same issue you had in your arguments against the N64.Banjo_Kongfooie
think whatever you want, whatever makes you happy.