Which PSX JRPG should I play?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6085a0bd46474
deactivated-6085a0bd46474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6085a0bd46474
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

I've gotten into playing PSX games recently. For some reason this console has slipped off my radar all my life, and it's a real shame, as I just found out about it's incredible jrpg library. I'm playing through metal gear solid right now. But I'm looking for a jrpg to play after.

I'm looking for something mature with a good plot and gameplay.

I went on a lot of forrums and read about it but im tied between a few of them.

FF IX
Suikoden II
Grandia
Xenogears
Legend of Dragoon (a lot of people seem to praise it, although the ratings are not too high...)
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story

From the PSX library i think all i played was FF VII and chrono trigger. (on ps3, and DS)

I know many will tell me all those titles are must play. But I have to start somewhere. Which one should I choose first?

Thanks

Avatar image for The_Last_Paladi
The_Last_Paladi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 The_Last_Paladi
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

If you're looking for mature, then it probably gets no better than Xenogears. This is my personal favorite rpg for the PSX, but I'll admit it isn't for everyone. Story-wise, it is great, though disc 2 you can tell that the game designers had to rush the game a little. Still If you like complex stories that make you think, I would definitely pick that game up.

kljohns2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 kljohns2
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

If you're looking for mature, then it probably gets no better than Xenogears. This is my personal favorite rpg for the PSX, but I'll admit it isn't for everyone. Story-wise, it is great, though disc 2 you can tell that the game designers had to rush the game a little. Still If you like complex stories that make you think, I would definitely pick that game up.

The_Last_Paladi

kabloe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 kabloe
Member since 2004 • 346 Posts

If you planned to play an FF game after Metal Gears I suggest FF 8 (for it's love story) cause the 9 is really, and by far, one of the worst FF ever! But you could added it after the 8 and you should realy check into Final Fantasy Tactics for it's great Story and by the same producer Vagrant Story is really good also

mcmopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mcmopo
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

My top games is...

1: Xenogears

2: Final Fantasy 9

3: Suikoden V

Avatar image for GrenudoSatanico
GrenudoSatanico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GrenudoSatanico
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I really recommend Legend of Dragoon, the combat system is a breath of fresh air and the story is immersive at 4 discs, watch gameplay videos on youtube just watch out for spoilers
TedCandyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TedCandyman
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Suikoden 1 and 2 are way good. I'd play 1 first, as it's much cheaper than 2, and also because you might be lost as to who some of the people are in 2. They're both pretty easy as far as gameplay goes which is actually kind of nice, considering you get 108 characters. Suikoden is all about its' story. Suikoden 2 is pretty expensive but I think it's worth every penny.

Xenogears may very well be my favorite game ever made. It's got everything. I've seen someone describe it as the best book they've ever read, the best movie they've ever seen, and the best game they've ever played.

A couple other favorites:

Wild Arms 1 & 2 - Solid games.
Vagrant Story - Kind of difficult actually. If you liked Final Fantasy 12, you can kinda see where they refined some of the ideas from this game.
Saga Frontier - This one might be hit or miss. I like it though.

I hear a lot of good things about Chrono Cross but unfortunately I haven't played that one. I'm gonna get it though.

macintosh336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 macintosh336
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

I've gotten into playing PSX games recently. For some reason this console has slipped off my radar all my life, and it's a real shame, as I just found out about it's incredible jrpg library. I'm playing through metal gear solid right now. But I'm looking for a jrpg to play after.

FF IX
Suikoden II
Grandia
Xenogears
Legend of Dragoon (a lot of people seem to praise it, although the ratings are not too high...)
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story

From the PSX library i think all i played was FF VII and chrono trigger. (on ps3, and DS)

I know many will tell me all those titles are must play. But I have to start somewhere. Which one should I choose first?

Thanks

Keaze_
I personally loved chrono cross. Has one of the best OST's you'll hear and great graphics for a psx game. You might not find it to be anything special at first but its one of those games that gets better as you get further into it. I havent played any of those other games but have heard plenty of great things about FFIX, Xenogears,Suikoden, and dragoon
gwebb77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gwebb77
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

If you are downloading the PS1 classic there are some pretty good ones for cheap,

FF7, FF9, Arc the Lad 2 and 3, Breath of Fire 4, the FF5, FF6 and Chrono Trigger rereleases, if you like tactics games imo Front Mission 3 is probably one of the best ever and definitly the best on PSX, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, Suikoden, Wild Arms 1 and 2, Xenogears

Personally I would stay away from Chrono Cross and FF8, I remember playing them back when they came out and they were good but recently I downloaded both and couldn't even get through them

If you are getting discs or roms somewhere there is a ton of other good ones too, Suikoden 2, Saga Frontier 1 and 2, Vandal Hearts, Lunar, Breath of Fire 3 and 5, and definitly a hundred more I forget,

In my mind the PSX was the best era for RPG's followed by SNES

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Suikoden II first, then FF IX, Legend of the Dragoon, Chrono Cross

Avatar image for kingWithNoCrown
kingWithNoCrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kingWithNoCrown
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
my favorite from the list are legend of dragoon and vagrant story. they are all great games though...
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Keaze_

Persona 2 is what you want then,though it will have to be Eternal Punishment since the PSX version of Innocent Sin(the best part of the P2 duology) never got a western release,there´s a revised version available since last year for the PSP,but toned down from the original,sadly.

Innocent sin has a pretty good fan translation though,so if you´re interested look for that,that´s what most people do to play IS in english.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
What the hell? Where is Legend of Mana on that list?
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
I agree with arach,Persona 2 is amazing.
farbrorbla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 farbrorbla
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
You simply have to play Xenogears, it has one of the most negaging stories i have ever experienced. Other good RPG's i enjoyed o the console are Koudelka and Jade Cocoon, both games might look dated today but still offer some good fun gameplay
Avatar image for WastelandArcher
WastelandArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WastelandArcher
Member since 2012 • 78 Posts
I'll throw in my hat with everyone who insists you play Xenogears, its a great game. Shame the second disc was rushed, unfortunately. After that I'd recommend Valkyrie Profile and Chrono Cross. I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet, but Star Ocean The Second Story is a FANTASTIC GAME and deserves a million playthroughs. 1 - Xenogears 2 - Star Ocean: The Second Story 3 - Valkyrie Profile 4 - Chrono Cross
Avatar image for deactivated-6085a0bd46474
deactivated-6085a0bd46474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6085a0bd46474
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

Following everyone's replies, I played Xenogears through and through. I finished it last week. Wow. I have to say I enjoyed the second disc just as much as the first one. It was an appreciated change of pace. All in all, great game. Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm not sure which one to play next though. Right now I'm playing Farcry 3 and have Dishonored on the backburner. After that, I'll check back this forum and take a pick. I'm leaning towards FF9, or maybe Chrono Cross. Not sure yet. Thanks again for the suggestions! Don't hesitate to pitch in some more, this thread is very helpful!

FinalsoulX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 FinalsoulX
Member since 2006 • 25351 Posts
Arc the lad Collection is a pretty fun RPG too
KamikazeDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 136

User Lists: 1

#19 KamikazeDonut
Member since 2008 • 3016 Posts

FF IX
Suikoden II
Grandia
Xenogears
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story

Thanks

Keaze_
I recommend Xenogears, Chrono Cross, or Vagrant story. However, Vagrant Story is pretty short.
zarathustrax7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 zarathustrax7
Member since 2012 • 82 Posts

Dude, play Vagrant Story. You won´t regret it. Like someone said is very short, but the "short" it´s just consequence of how hard the game is. 

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

If you want something more mature, then I would recommend:

• Alundra
  • Chrono Cross
  • Final Fantasy VIII