Which PS4 component image is the GPU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

I was on the Wired website and they showed an up close image of the PS4 motherboard in which they specified that the larger component was the CPU obviously. Well if that's the case and we know the surrounding components are the memory than where's the GPU?

#2 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The Gpu and the cpu are on the same die so that larger component was both the Gpu and the cpu.

X1 is the same architecture.

#3 Edited by ShepardCommandr (3214 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

The Gpu and the cpu are on the same die so that larger component was both the Gpu and the cpu.

X1 is the same architecture.

#4 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

Wow that's what I had been told in the past but I just couldn't believe that it would be that small. I guess that increases speed with less distance between the two. No wonder the PS4 heat sink looks so big from he images. With those combined that has got to be a lot of heat together.

#5 Posted by kitty (114974 posts) -

Not that much heat if you got good/decent cooling.

#6 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

I hope so. That heat sink in the PS4 looks pretty heavy duty but I'm not very impressed with the size of the fan. But I have to admit that the designers of the PS4 are genius for sure. The Xbox One in comparison is lousy as far as design on the inside. A lot of open space but I like the look of the fan that Microsoft used.