Which Metroid game...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 qubert27
Member since 2007 • 645 Posts
Is Zero Suit Samus is
qubert27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 qubert27
Member since 2007 • 645 Posts

Is Zero Suit Samus isqubert27

ICorrection... Is Zero Suit Samus in? Sorry...

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

Please edit your post next time-- this isn't GameFAQs.

Zero Suit is so named because you have to play as Samus without her suit in a section of Metroid: Zero Mission.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
There is also an appearance of Zero Suit Samus in [spoiler] Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. This happens when you complete the game with a completion rating of a certain amount [/spoiler] . I am sure there are probably more cases as well.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MAILER_DAEMON
There is also an appearance of Zero Suit Samus in [spoiler] Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. This happens when you complete the game with a completion rating of a certain amount [/spoiler] . I am sure there are probably more cases as well.Articuno76
Yeah, you also see her wearing that at the beginning of MP3: Corruption (opening cutscene =/= spoiler). Zero Mission is the only game where you play as her without the Power Suit, though.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Yeah, you also see her wearing that at the beginning of MP3: Corruption (opening cutscene =/= spoiler). Zero Mission is the only game where you play as her without the Power Suit, though.MAILER_DAEMON

And the original Metroid with the right password.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Yeah, you also see her wearing that at the beginning of MP3: Corruption (opening cutscene =/= spoiler). Zero Mission is the only game where you play as her without the Power Suit, though.foxhound_fox

And the original Metroid with the right password.

Good point. I didn't really consider that because she still controls the same... it's more of an easter egg. In Zero Mission, that's where Samus loses her defense, weapons (aside from the Emergency Pistol, which is one of her Brawl weapons), and other abilities. Not to mention the outfit is blue.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Good point. I didn't really consider that because she still controls the same... it's more of an easter egg. In Zero Mission, that's where Samus loses her defense, weapons (aside from the Emergency Pistol, which is one of her Brawl weapons), and other abilities. Not to mention the outfit is blue.MAILER_DAEMON

I really hope the next Metroid game isn't a shooter but more of a Mass Effect-esque RPG/action-adventure game. They have a game universe teeming with great stuff, they just haven't taken full advantage of it yet.

I really liked the Zero Suit part in Zero Mission because it actually made me feel vulnerable as Samus, which at every other occasion you feel like a one-woman armada.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

I really hope the next Metroid game isn't a shooter but more of a Mass Effect-esque RPG/action-adventure game. They have a game universe teeming with great stuff, they just haven't taken full advantage of it yet.

I really liked the Zero Suit part in Zero Mission because it actually made me feel vulnerable as Samus, which at every other occasion you feel like a one-woman armada.foxhound_fox

Oh wow, I absolutely hope they do NOT go the RPG-route with Metroid. I don't consider Metroid a shooter either. It's an action-adventure built around an environmental puzzle structure. Except for Metroid Prime Hunters, sooting in those games is periphery to the overall gameplay structure.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I really hope the next Metroid game isn't a shooter but more of a Mass Effect-esque RPG/action-adventure game. They have a game universe teeming with great stuff, they just haven't taken full advantage of it yet.

I really liked the Zero Suit part in Zero Mission because it actually made me feel vulnerable as Samus, which at every other occasion you feel like a one-woman armada.m0zart

Oh wow, I absolutely hope they do NOT go the RPG-route with Metroid. I don't consider Metroid a shooter either. It's an action-adventure built around an environmental puzzle structure. Except for Metroid Prime Hunters, sooting in those games is periphery to the overall gameplay structure.

While I agree entirely with what you said, I don't see anything wrong with having a more non-linear experience. To clarify, I'm only talking about expanding the exploration side of things as opposed to any RPG influences. However, the current standing with the Metroid storyline is that there are no more Metroids left as far as we know. So unless they produce another phazon-trilogy-style spinoff, the series is pretty much exhausted.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 m0zart

While I agree entirely with what you said, I don't see anything wrong with having a more non-linear experience. To clarify, I'm only talking about expanding the exploration side of things as opposed to any RPG influences. However, the current standing with the Metroid storyline is that there are no more Metroids left as far as we know. So unless they produce another phazon-trilogy-style spinoff, the series is pretty much exhausted.selbie

Well I have a few things to say in response. The first is that the Metroids were necessary to the backstory, but they were never really essential to the environmental puzzles and non-linear gameplay. The Metroids as a species could go away, and the series could be renamed "Samus", and that exploration would remain without RPG elements being necessary.

As far as story goes though, I don't need to consider this the end of the Metroids to the storyline. Even without the Metroids present in the game, the Metroid species is now forever a part of the series, even if they never show up again visibly. Samus has been infused with Metroid DNA as of Metroid Fusion. If I were to have my druthers, the series could explore Samus' discovery of new abilities that came as a result of being part "Metroid". Metroid Fusion was a turning point in other ways too -- Samus is now no longer the faithful servant of the Federation. She destroyed their research lab against the wishes of her commanders, and has essentially become what her former allies might characterize as a "terrorist".

The bottom line here though is that if I want to play and RPG, or a pinball game, or a target shooter, or any other game, I can do that with any number of series suitable to that type of gameplay. I play Metroid games BECAUSE of their gameplay formula, the one that has been there with only a few notable exceptions since the beginning of the series. Needless to say, if they choose to go another route, they won't have me as a ready-made audience. They'll have to win me all over again. In other words, their character set and backstory won't give me an immediate interest in new games. The gameplay in this case is greater than the story, as it always has been for that series.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
[QUOTE="m0zart"]Well I have a few things to say in response. The first is that the Metroids were necessary to the backstory, but they were never really essential to the environmental puzzles and non-linear gameplay. The Metroids as a species could go away, and the series could be renamed "Samus", and that exploration would remain without RPG elements being necessary. As far as story goes though, I don't need to consider this the end of the Metroids to the storyline. Even without the Metroids present in the game, the Metroid species is now forever a part of the series, even if they never show up again visibly. Samus has been infused with Metroid DNA as of Metroid Fusion. If I were to have my druthers, the series could explore Samus' discovery of new abilities that came as a result of being part "Metroid". Metroid Fusion was a turning point in other ways too -- Samus is now no longer the faithful servant of the Federation. She destroyed their research lab against the wishes of her commanders, and has essentially become what her former allies might characterize as a "terrorist". The bottom line here though is that if I want to play and RPG, or a pinball game, or a target shooter, or any other game, I can do that with any number of series suitable to that type of gameplay. I play Metroid games BECAUSE of their gameplay formula, the one that has been there with only a few notable exceptions since the beginning of the series. Needless to say, if they choose to go another route, they won't have me as a ready-made audience. They'll have to win me all over again. In other words, their character set and backstory won't give me an immediate interest in new games. The gameplay in this case is greater than the story, as it always has been for that series.

Well said m0zart. I guess after seeing the wonderful locations in MP3 it made me want Nintendo to put in double the amount of worlds to explore in the next game. Regarding the story, I agree there is much more to be explored. For example Samus' pursuit of Ridley to avenge the death of her parents etc. In fact, this makes me wonder about the next game and whether we will play a "rogue samus" avoiding the Federation while pursuing Ridley.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
Personally, I'd actually love to see another old-school 2D sidescroller Metroid like Fusion or Zero Mission, myself. I think that there's a serious charm and style to those games that the Primes, while killer awesome in their own regard, didn't have. I love the FPS Metroids and I don't want them to end either, but I'd hate to see those become the only form of Metroid game in existence now that we're into the "3D OR BUST" generations of gaming.
m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 m0zart

Well said m0zart. I guess after seeing the wonderful locations in MP3 it made me want Nintendo to put in double the amount of worlds to explore in the next game. Regarding the story, I agree there is much more to be explored. For example Samus' pursuit of Ridley to avenge the death of her parents etc. In fact, this makes me wonder about the next game and whether we will play a "rogue samus" avoiding the Federation while pursuing Ridley.selbie

Well there's no reason why the Metroid series can't have travel between worlds and still retain the gameplay structure. MP3 certainly demonstrated that. Even though the new worlds were mostly linear progressions, the activity on those worlds was not. For that matter, that's a lot of how Metroid 2: Return of Samus and Metroid Fusion played, though of course they were not doing this on different worlds, just in different areas of the same "world".

I think the one thing I would miss if the series had to take that approach is the sense of isolation and urgency. An open game consisting of travel between worlds takes away most of the former and some of the latter.