Which game will be remembered of last gen as the best game in your opinion?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

In my opinion it should be Bioshock. It brought something new to the table. That or gears of war. They was both fresh. Super Mario Galaxy was another one. That is the main three for me, but if I had to say I'd say Bioshock. Even tho COD did all this amazing online Bioshock just sucked me in the game I thought it was amazing, and the same with Gears. What game do you guys think will with stand the sands of time, and achieve immortallity?

#2 Posted by LordShockTitan (209 posts) -

IMO, I would have to go with WoW for the pc (if that counts). WoW just basically revolutionized MMO's and they all changed after the release of WoW. However, if WoW does not count, the CoD4. Same deal with WoW, except with FPS's and the whole online experience.

#3 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

IMO, I would have to go with WoW for the pc (if that counts). WoW just basically revolutionized MMO's and they all changed after the release of WoW. However, if WoW does not count, the CoD4. Same deal with WoW, except with FPS's and the whole online experience.

LordShockTitan

Wow was one, but I'd go with minecraft if talking PC games!

#4 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34144 posts) -

Bayonetta and Halo Reach are the games I put the most time into last gen so probably one of those two.

#5 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Dark Souls. I'd say "until I find something better" but with all I've played I doubt anything will top Dark Souls.

#6 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto IV, received 10/10s across the board and has the second higherst metacritic score to date.

#7 Posted by HipHopBeats (2878 posts) -

Different games for different reasons.

Bioshock for the same reason OP mentioned

Mass Effect 2 for it's story, universe, and epic Suicide Mission

Skyrim for it's lore, detailed gaming world, freedom, and playing however you want

Uncharted 2 for revamping 3PS genre, characters and amazing set pieces

Metal Gear Solid 4 just because it's a Metal Gear Solid game, lol

#8 Posted by MirkoS77 (7209 posts) -
Both the Arkham games. Only the SMG titles come close.
#9 Posted by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

Dark Souls. I'd say "until I find something better" but with all I've played I doubt anything will top Dark Souls.

IndianaPwns39

#10 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Like all other gens there will be a multitude of games remembered as the best.

The ones to stand the test of time will probably be

• Grand Theft Auto IV
  • World of Warcraft
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
  • League of Legends
  • Gears of War
  • Uncharted 2
  • Bioshock
  • Portal
  • Half-Life 2
  • Starcraft 2
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • and a dozen+ other titles.
#11 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Mass Effect that was to easy.

Then maybe mgs4 or the witcher 2.

#12 Posted by Planeforger (15571 posts) -

In my opinion it should be Bioshock. It brought something new to the table.

Shattered-dream
What was new about Bioshock? It was basically just another System Shock game, minus a lot of depth and set underwater. They even completely recycled a major plot plot! The best thing about it was the admittedly excellent art design, but the gameplay was weak and didn't bring much to the table. As for mine...god, I don't know. My personal preference might be for either The Witcher or The Walking Dead - neither were without flaws, but they certainly had a greater emotional impact on me than just about any other story-driven game of the generation, and they were two of the *very* few games of this moral choice-filled gen where it felt like my choices really mattered (even when they didn't, in TWD's case!). Hm...in terms of a tightly-packaged bundle of entertainment through, I might actually go with Potal 2. Strange, I know, but even with the easy difficulty...I would struggle to find anything to complain about with that game. It was expertly designed and a complete joy to play!
#13 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

Demon's Souls, Xenoblade, and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

#14 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

i like demon's souls and dark souls a lot. you'll never read more butthurt over a game online, but they're brilliant designs. they don't give you a thousand little quests to condescendingly pat your back over after each one. they make you look around for little pieces of the story so as to not intrude on the design. they expect a lot out of the player and i was certainly appreciative.

limbo is brilliant too. a lot of people look on "indie" games with pity for not having the budgets of their retail counterparts. limbo is better for not having those resources because it's a design about doing the most with the least. the puzzles are intentionally based around only a few objects and there are 3 inputs (not counting the pause button). the 2D world keeps everything in the perspective of the player and the visuals and sounds don't distract from the few simple ingredients used really well. increased busyness would have gone against the central theme of the game: loneliness.

the other one that i would have to mention is everyday shooter. the design is perfectly economical. every level has a theme and the inputs, ruleset, backgrounds, and music all go towards that theme and nothing else. nothing is wasted.

#15 Posted by YosemiteSam400 (167 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever. Masterpiece.

#16 Posted by boredom_kills (190 posts) -

For me, the two game features that epitomise this generation are story (especially character development) and game world. The game that best encompasses both of these for this generation has got to be Red Dead Redemption.

#17 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Bioshock without a doubt. It not only had amazing concepts and ideas, but it formed a remarkable and intensely dark story around those ideas, most notably the haunting and beautiful world of Rapture, and the gameplay was woven in perfectly to create the perfect experience. 10/10.

#18 Posted by Blabadon (26011 posts) -
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. 10/10 Masterpiece.
#19 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto IV, received 10/10s across the board and has the second higherst metacritic score to date.RageQuitter69

4th go to game rankings Mario galaxy beat OOT

#20 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

Bioshock without a doubt. It not only had amazing concepts and ideas, but it formed a remarkable and intensely dark story around those ideas, most notably the haunting and beautiful world of Rapture, and the gameplay was woven in perfectly to create the perfect experience. 10/10.Venom_Raptor

Amen amazing game I agree a 100%!

#21 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5843 posts) -
Probably Bioshock... Also Red Dead Redemption and the Mass Effects.
#22 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

Probably Bioshock... Also Red Dead Redemption and the Mass Effects.hrt_rulz01

I forgot about Red Dead Redemption!

#23 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -
Mass Effect 1 and only 1. Dark Souls is the best game i will remember for last gen
#24 Posted by The-Gamer (109 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4 to me.

#25 Posted by Venom951 (365 posts) -
My Top 3 Bioshock , Mass Effect 1 , Gears of War 1
#26 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

My Top 3 Bioshock , Mass Effect 1 , Gears of War 1Venom951

I never was a mass Effect fan I played one never did like that much! I played better, but don't get me wrong I played a lot worse!

#27 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Personally speaking, I think I'll remember Red Dead Redemption as the best game of the current generation. There are so many things about that game that make it great, and it was just truly an amazing experience. 

#28 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

Personally speaking, I think I'll remember Red Dead Redemption as the best game of the current generation. There are so many things about that game that make it great, and it was just truly an amazing experience. 

Vari3ty

I loved it myself msn! It was a great game I have to say it was RockStars best game ever made in my opinion!

#29 Posted by Dexter-010 (508 posts) -
Mass Effect, Gears of War 3, Bioshock, Dead Space, Battlefield 3. One of those games imo.
#30 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

Mass Effect, Gears of War 3, Bioshock, Dead Space, Battlefield 3. One of those games imo.Dexter-010

I'm suprised no one said Super Mario Galaxy or the second one, but I agree with you there! 

#31 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Who knows?

I think BioShock, though, has a good chance of being one of those big pantheon games that no one will ever forget; even if they didn't like the game all that much.

#32 Posted by Ballroompirate (22579 posts) -

I can't name just one but a few that I'll remember

• Bioshock
  • Skyrim
  • RDR
  • SC2 + SC2 HotS
  • Farcry 3
  • Dead Space
  • ME1
  • ME2
  • Uncharted 1-3
  • MGS4
  • L4D 1 and 2
  • Batman Arkham City
#33 Posted by Bigboi500 (29401 posts) -

My top two would be Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Fallout: New Vegas.

#34 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

My top two would be Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Fallout: New Vegas.

Bigboi500

Just one finally!:)

#35 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

BioShock didn't bring absolutely anything new to the table. It brought some old stuff that has been done before with weak gunplay and shallow RPG elements in a linear gameworld with a few toilets to explore on the side. It was a decent game, but incredibly disappointing.

My favorites are Grand Theft Auto IV, Civilization V and Team Fortress 2 - the last two won't just be remembered, but played in massive numbers for years to come.

My picks for games that will be remembered for being unique are Portal, Crysis and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl.

#36 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

I would say Fallout 3 and Bioshock. In that order.

#37 Posted by Lostboy1224 (3426 posts) -
Bioshock, Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption would be the games that I'll remember in the long run. The Last of Us, New Bioshock, and GTA 5 could also be some big ones but will have to wait and see on those.
#38 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Bioshock for me edges it.

"Would you kindly...a powerful phrase, familiar phrase?" - Andrew Ryan

Wow, shivers down my spine!

#39 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -

The games I enjoyed the most from this generation were Minecraft, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia, Borderlands 1 + 2, Saint's Row 2, Bioshock, and The Walking Dead.

If I had to pick just one I think I'd pick Minecraft. I love how it has virtually unlimited replayability.

#40 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Bioshock, Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption would be the games that I'll remember in the long run. The Last of Us, New Bioshock, and GTA 5 could also be some big ones but will have to wait and see on those.Lostboy1224

Damn, I forgot all about Super Mario Galaxy 2...that would also have made my list.

#41 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

On consoles, I think I'd give it to Limbo and Arkham City. Honorable mention to Outland.

On PC, STALKER: CoS, Crysis and Aquaria. But I've got tons of catching up to do in the adventure genre.

#42 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70921 posts) -
Mass Effect series for my part, Skyrim, MGS 4, GTA 4 or Dark Souls
#43 Posted by Beagle050 (716 posts) -

Not just one game, but many. Just to name a few:

- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

- The Call of Duty titles

- The Battlefield titles

- Minecraft

- WOW (Technically in this gen, I suppose, but part of last gen too)

- Assassin's Creed games

#44 Posted by CastieI (124 posts) -
Demon and Dark Souls. Easily.
#45 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Bioshock bringing something new to the table!? XD More guns? That's about it.

I'd call Tales of Graces the best game of this generation. Now THAT game brought something new to the table. A revamped, intuitive and very fun real-time battle system. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't played Tales of Graces.

Although, Tales of Xillia just might be able to top Tales of Graces. We'll find that out in July.

#46 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

I always wanted to play dark souls. I missed out on that one:/

#47 Posted by Shattered-dream (620 posts) -

Bioshock bringing something new to the table!? XD More guns? That's about it.I'd call Tales of Graces the best game of this generation. Now THAT game brought something new to the table. A revamped, intuitive and very fun real-time battle system. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't played Tales of Graces.Although, Tales of Xillia just might be able to top Tales of Graces. We'll find that out in July.GeoffZak
It felt new to me with amazing graphics and contender of game of the year the proof is in the pudding wouldn't you say?

#48 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]Bioshock bringing something new to the table!? XD More guns? That's about it.I'd call Tales of Graces the best game of this generation. Now THAT game brought something new to the table. A revamped, intuitive and very fun real-time battle system. I feel sorry for anyone who hasn't played Tales of Graces.Although, Tales of Xillia just might be able to top Tales of Graces. We'll find that out in July.Shattered-dream

It felt new to me with amazing graphics and contender of game of the year the proof is in the pudding wouldn't you say?

That's no proof. Just because some guys who talk about games they like for money say they like that game, that doesn't make it good. That's their opinion.

#49 Posted by c_rakestraw (14611 posts) -

IndianaPwns39

This. Nothing can top Dark Souls.

#50 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

Assassin's Creed 2, Uncharted 2 and Bioshock are all great answers.