Which game series went from hero to zero?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sundayismyDAD (402 posts) -

I think that Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and Mortal Kombat have dropped to the bottom of the barrel since their original Trilogies.

#2 Posted by lozengez (509 posts) -

Sonic, but he's slowly coming back.

#3 Posted by Blueresident87 (5335 posts) -

Tony Hawk

#4 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69836 posts) -
Tony Hawk 3 was just so much fun back in the day, too bad it fell from being such a great game
#5 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18334 posts) -
Tony Hawk and Sonic.
#6 Posted by immortality20 (7957 posts) -

Well, FEAR got worse with every game. But I guess the biggest dip in quality has to go to Duke Nukem of course. 

#7 Posted by Beagle050 (715 posts) -

Crash Bandicoot

Duke Nukem

#8 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

Why Donkey Kong? :|

#9 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Metroid. Going from the fantastic Prime series to Other M was disastrous. 

#10 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1326 posts) -
Mortal kombat? If anything it got better.
#11 Posted by sundayismyDAD (402 posts) -

Why Donkey Kong? :|

1PMrFister
Donkey Kong just isn't what it used to be.
#12 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34128 posts) -

Donkey Kong? DKC: Returns was damn great. if it weren't for the stupid roll maneuver it would have been perfect methinks.

I would say Sonic, although Colours and generations are supposedly actually good so perhaps Sonic is on a path of redemption now.

Out of the options I'd probably choose FF, though I haven't completely lost faith in the series. While FFXIII was overall mediocre and disappointing, I still managed to get some enjoyment from the game and don't think it is as bad as some make it out to be. And while FFXIV was apparnatly very bad from what I hear, I would not know myself since I have not played it myself. so in the circumstance it truly is bad, I wouldn't really care nor would it affect me. here's hoping FFXV will be much better.

#13 Posted by thom_maytees (3669 posts) -

Metroid. Going from the fantastic Prime series to Other M was disastrous. 

Vari3ty

I wonder why people, especially Metroid fans, think that Other M is disastrous. It was not a Duke Nukem Forever or Final Fantasy XIV, which more deserves the "hero to zero" title.

#14 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Well Super Smash Bros Melee to Brawl, in terms of mechanics was a pretty big letdown.

Other than that I dunno. Most of the big series people talk about falling from grace (like Resident Evil) I don't care too much for to begin with.

Maybe Final Fantasy for XIII-2?

#15 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
Resident evil Mass Effect Dragon Age
#16 Posted by coasterguy65 (5843 posts) -

Crash Bandicoot.

Also not very impressed with the last two Ratchet and Clank games. Hopefully they reverse the trend.

#17 Posted by MasterTankallex (94 posts) -

Out of those games? I'm going to say Final Fantasy with the release of XIII. I've never played the Tony Hawk games, but I was never really interested.

#18 Posted by CursedChamp (506 posts) -
Final Fantasy
#19 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (994 posts) -

Dead Space is a recent example.

Peaked out in athmosphere in the first game, second game was still entertaining, third game was just a TPS

#20 Posted by koospetoors (3244 posts) -
Out of those? Tony Hawk definitely bailed like a true champ and never bothered getting back on track again. Guitar Hero also practically took a nosedive into its own grave, thinking about it now. I also wonder if Assassins Creed is well on its way there too, ever since the series went annual with its releases its been getting worse and worse and worse right to a point where I went from being a huge fan to actively loathing it.
#21 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
Final Fantasy has been terrible since X, Mortal Kombat has been terrible since 4, Tony Hawk has been terrible since 4. Donkey Kong games were always good, they just don't come out often enough. And as for Sonic, his 2D games were pretty much always good. It was 2004-2007 that were bad years for his 3D games. Colors, Generations, Unleashed, and Secret Rings were all good games as far as I'm concerned.
#22 Posted by Vyse_Legends (9387 posts) -

Well as far as a series I actually care about I'd say Dragon Age.

Because...well I'm pretty there is enough complaining out there I don't need to say much.:P

#23 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -

Because...well I'm pretty there is enough complaining out there I don't need to say much.:P

Vyse_Legends
I never understood what people liked about Dragon Age Origins in the first place...
#24 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

resident evil

#25 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Vyse_Legends

There only been two games though one great and one ok(for the amount of time they had it was a good effort). Who knows maybe da:I will be great.

#26 Posted by LordShockTitan (209 posts) -

Tony Hawk for me.

#27 Posted by svm128 (376 posts) -

Definitly Tony Hawk, THPS/THUG were great games and I had a lot of fun playing them but after THUG, Tony Hawk seems to went downhill. Bad enough to discontinue the series.

#28 Posted by Gibsonsg527 (3313 posts) -

Tony Hawk is dead now, Sonic while still manily carp, has put out some decent games. I would also say that guitar hero is a good candidate. 

#30 Posted by lilasianwonder (5962 posts) -

Resident Evil.

#31 Posted by Ballroompirate (22291 posts) -

Easily Final Fantasy, the series has been crap ever since they released FFX.

#32 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Call of Duty.

More or less a descent really.

#33 Posted by JamDev (970 posts) -
Definitely Tony Hawk as that's the only one that's actually at zero, the others are at like 1-5.
#34 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Sonic, but I'm more bitter over Final Fantasy's decline so I voted that.

#35 Posted by Dexter-010 (508 posts) -
Tony Hawk Pro Skater for me. The last good Tony Hawk game, imo, is the Underground series on the Xbox.
#36 Posted by kickingcarpet (440 posts) -

Tomb Raider

#37 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

I remember playing pro skater 3 and that game was awesome. The tony hawk underground games are fun too. The last good tony hawk game i played was american wasteland. that game was great imo but i would say the series isnt what it used to be.

#38 Posted by Yagr_Zero (27831 posts) -
Of the choices, it has to be Tony Hawk.
#39 Posted by MadVybz (2797 posts) -

Mortal kombat? If anything it got better.Granny_Spanked

I'd have to agree here. Not only that but some of the choices in the polls just don't make sense. I'd say OP just slapped a bunch of a relatively quiet franchises into the thread without any thought. 

#40 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1141 posts) -
Tony hawk and Sonic are the best two I can think of. Tony hawk use to be the best. American wasteland was ok, but after that it all went down hill.
#41 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1141 posts) -

[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"]Mortal kombat? If anything it got better.MadVybz

I'd have to agree here. Not only that but some of the choices in the polls just don't make sense. I'd say OP just slapped a bunch of a relatively quiet franchises into the thread without any thought. 

Yeah the new MK is an AMAZING game that got a lot of great reception.
#42 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

Sonic

#43 Posted by Kemonojin (59 posts) -
Final Fantasy. It used to be so awesome before XII, and now they just keep milking the franchise.
#44 Posted by NaveedLife (17175 posts) -

Not mortal Kombat or Donkey Kong.  the latest games in the series are solid 8.5's I would probably say.  Maybe 8's.    Tony Hawk used to be amazing before this gen.

#45 Posted by PelicanRebelLdr (128 posts) -
Mortal Kombat
#46 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
Spyro sucked after the original trilogy of ps1 games
#47 Posted by jackfruitchips (1066 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden

FEAR

#48 Posted by Kage1 (6727 posts) -

Resident Evil

#49 Posted by JustBeYourself (576 posts) -
Final Fantasy, truly upsetting.
#50 Posted by sundayismyDAD (402 posts) -

I simply do not understand why everyone loves the new Mortal Kombat. The game franchise can die for all I care.

But I guess I am only angry that I can never pull off a fatality.