Which DOA is the best and why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PitaGriffin
Member since 2006 • 1470 Posts
I think DOA3 was the best for its time, and it still is the best. Which one do you think is the best and why?
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

Definitely Xtreme 2. One of the finest games i've ever played.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
DOA4, easily. It has the best balance, the most characters, a tightened-up version of the four-point counter system from Ultimate, and the first real fruits of Itagaki's recent efforts to get his series up there with the premier fighting games of our time.
PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PitaGriffin
DOA4, easily. It has the best balance, the most characters, a tightened-up version of the four-point counter system from Ultimate, and the first real fruits of Itagaki's recent efforts to get his series up there with the premier fighting games of our time.DarkCatalyst
But DOA4 looks very similar graphically to DOA3, and there's a 6 YEAR DIFFERENCE!!!! I think DOA4 is somewhat disappointing seeing that in 6 years they really haven't come that far. In 2001, when DOA3 came out it was the best looking fighting game. I still find it amazing how the graphics look now. The detail that was put into that game is amazing. Just go look at the forest background in DOA3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

But DOA4 looks very similar graphically to DOA3, and there's a 6 YEAR DIFFERENCE!!!! I think DOA4 is somewhat disappointing seeing that in 6 years they really haven't come that far. In 2001, when DOA3 came out it was the best looking fighting game. I still find it amazing how the graphics look now. The detail that was put into that game is amazing. Just go look at the forest background in DOA3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.PitaGriffin

I don't know about you but I care much more how the game actually plays more so then it looks.

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PitaGriffin

[QUOTE="PitaGriffin"]But DOA4 looks very similar graphically to DOA3, and there's a 6 YEAR DIFFERENCE!!!! I think DOA4 is somewhat disappointing seeing that in 6 years they really haven't come that far. In 2001, when DOA3 came out it was the best looking fighting game. I still find it amazing how the graphics look now. The detail that was put into that game is amazing. Just go look at the forest background in DOA3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.Gunraidan

I don't know about you but I care much more how the game actually plays more so then it looks.

I care much more about the presentation of the game rather than the gameplay. I'm not a shallow gamer though.
Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts

I think DOA4 is one of the best fighters out there. Technical wise...Its not on par with VF5 to speak with gameplay. But it was the first one with online play and it wasn't just tacked on. It was built completely around it. Very Solid. The single player was quite enjoyable. Nice and hard and challenging. And unlike others...they do make you want to beat it with all the characters. Its alot like Tekken. Some endings are serious, others are just humorour, and others are sexy ^_^. Lots of nice unlockables to.

It doesn't really stand out at any area(Except the bust size). But it is overall one of the very few completely rounded ones. Good gameplay, Good sound, Graphics, Multiplayer. Overall definite a fine purchase

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gunraidan

I care much more about the presentation of the game rather than the gameplay. I'm not a shallow gamer though.PitaGriffin

Of course not, because if you really think that then you aren't a gamer.

PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PitaGriffin

[QUOTE="PitaGriffin"]I care much more about the presentation of the game rather than the gameplay. I'm not a shallow gamer though.Gunraidan

Of course not, because if you really think that then you aren't a gamer.

I'm a serious gamer for presentation. The games I play may be shallow, such as DOAX2 or The House of the Dead 4, but I play them seriously in terms of really being into the game and enjoying the amazing graphics. In fact, I would call myself a gamer of higher standards, because I will not accept a game that is a total mess in the graphics area, unless it's something like Street Fighter that's supposed to look like that.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gunraidan
Sorry, I edited that post but since Gamespot is so glitchy it didn't go through.
rtalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rtalo
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts
Gameplay and visually, I liked DOA 4. But I really miss the stages from DOA 2 Ultimate.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]DOA4, easily. It has the best balance, the most characters, a tightened-up version of the four-point counter system from Ultimate, and the first real fruits of Itagaki's recent efforts to get his series up there with the premier fighting games of our time.PitaGriffin
But DOA4 looks very similar graphically to DOA3, and there's a 6 YEAR DIFFERENCE!!!! I think DOA4 is somewhat disappointing seeing that in 6 years they really haven't come that far. In 2001, when DOA3 came out it was the best looking fighting game. I still find it amazing how the graphics look now. The detail that was put into that game is amazing. Just go look at the forest background in DOA3 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yeah, but I play games to play them, not to look at them. Because, you know...they're games and not tech demos...

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]DOA4, easily. It has the best balance, the most characters, a tightened-up version of the four-point counter system from Ultimate, and the first real fruits of Itagaki's recent efforts to get his series up there with the premier fighting games of our time.PitaGriffin

DOA3 lack game modes, balance and content when compared to DOA4. Heck, even DOA2 Hardcore was a better package than DOA3 (Itagaki has even admited to this fact, he was so proud of DOA2H that he remade it as DOA Ultimate) As for DO3 "looking better" than DOA4 .... :| I´m guessing here but you must have not seen DOA4 running on an HDTV. Otherwise, you´ll have not said that. Granted, maybe the character models were somewhat similar, but that is because of the their Manga artstyle (highly stylized, clean models with a focus on idealized features not realistic looking ones.) But the quality of the backgrounds on DOA4 are orders of magnitude more detailed than those of DOA3. But as pretty as the graphics are, it is gameplay what will resist the test of time. Anyone could play Super Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with their old graphics and be completely captivated for hour on end by their rock solid gameplay, while games with so called High End graphics fall on their face for their utter lack of depht. Remember "The Bouncer", its graphics were amazing when it was released but now it is an old hat with shallow gameplay, no one cares about that game just as much as no one cares about "the beatiful disaster" that is Lair. That is why DOA2/U and DOA4 will resist the test of time, DOA3 will not.
PitaGriffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PitaGriffin
[QUOTE="PitaGriffin"][QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]DOA4, easily. It has the best balance, the most characters, a tightened-up version of the four-point counter system from Ultimate, and the first real fruits of Itagaki's recent efforts to get his series up there with the premier fighting games of our time.SciFiCat

DOA3 lack game modes, balance and content when compared to DOA4. Heck, even DOA2 Hardcore was a better package than DOA3 (Itagaki has even admited to this fact, he was so proud of DOA2H that he remade it as DOA Ultimate) As for DO3 "looking better" than DOA4 .... :| I´m guessing here but you must have not seen DOA4 running on an HDTV. Otherwise, you´ll have not said that. Granted, maybe the character models were somewhat similar, but that is because of the their Manga artstyle (highly stylized, clean models with a focus on idealized features not realistic looking ones.) But the quality of the backgrounds on DOA4 are orders of magnitude more detailed than those of DOA3. But as pretty as the graphics are, it is gameplay what will resist the test of time. Anyone could play Super Metroid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with their old graphics and be completely captivated for hour on end by their rock solid gameplay, while games with so called High End graphics fall on their face for their utter lack of depht. Remember "The Bouncer", its graphics were amazing when it was released but now it is an old hat with shallow gameplay, no one cares about that game just as much as no one cares about "the beatiful disaster" that is Lair. That is why DOA2/U and DOA4 will resist the test of time, DOA3 will not.

I never said DOA3 looked better than DOA4. I said that they're graphically similar. Oh, and I have a 55" Sony HD T.V. I think DOA3 still looks amazing on a good T.V., and DOA4 looks even better. BUT, the backgrounds, along with gameplay that's perfect )in between DOA2 and the button-masher DOA4(, along with a still nice amount of characters I think makes it the best out of the DOA series. I haven't gotten sick of DOA3, but I definitely have gotten sick of DOA4 for some reason. I'm not even sure why.