Which do you prefer: Arkham City or Arkham Asylum?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeonPink22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NeonPink22
Member since 2010 • 65 Posts

So I just completed Arkham City...and I'm sort of debating which game was better.

Personally, I sort of liked the more linear structured approach in Arkham Asylum. The levels were much more memorable, ranging from Ivy's Green House to the sewers. There was more "atmosphere" I would say overall in Arkham Asylum.

With that said though, Arkham City does alot of OTHER things better than Asylum. What grabbed me initally was how much improved the music was! The main theme isprobably the best I've heard this year (and this year was no slouch either for music in games).

Also, it might be just me but I felt the narrative was much stronger is Arkham City. It felt very comic book like in terms of narrative structure, and I simply loved the twist at the end. Also dat ending. I know some didn't like the ending, but I felt it was 100x better than the Asylum ending, and the boss fight was an improvement as well.

The boss fights, especially with Mr. Freeze was very well done and again an improvement from Asylum. An the various cameos is very nice and not TO overdone...but I would maybe shorten the number of characters appearing in future games.

Also I love the side quests, and all the various stuff to do...and..honestly..it's just FUN to glide around. At first I was very put off by the sandbox approach, but the more hours I put into the game, the more I warmed up to it..now I love it.

Still. I feel AC improved SO MUCH over asylum, but that special arkham asylum atmosphere was sorely missing. It's a toughy.

I guess I would maybe put AC a INCH over Asylum, simply because of the better narrative and the sandbox approach. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

hard to chose they're both are very good games hard to chose one over the other

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I feel pretty much the same way. Atmosphere: Asylum > City. Gameplay: City > Asylum

City is improved, for sure, but Asylum was a little more special, since it was the first time you played a really good Batman game. With City, I just thought "cool, more Batman". It wasn't as special anymore, but really good. Too hard for me to pick a favourite.

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
Yeah I agree with pretty much everything you said. I like the atmosphere in Asylum better too. AC had a great atmosphere too but it just didn't feel te same as the first one. Anyhow both are great games and deserve their scores. Oh and the ending in AC was awesome imo, just wish the story was a little longer.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

hard to chose they're both are very good games hard to chose one over the other

almasdeathchild

This.

Also, I prefer Batman in City than I did with Asylum. Nothing wrong with his Asylum incarnation, but City's Batman was a lot quicker than before. He felt more slow, more bulky, plus his enemies in Asylum could be quicker than they were in City. In City, they were slowed down, which was a better decision to make, although they clearly got a lot more aggressive than they did in Asylum.

NeonPink22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NeonPink22

Yeah I agree with pretty much everything you said. I like the atmosphere in Asylum better too. AC had a great atmosphere too but it just didn't feel te same as the first one. Anyhow both are great games and deserve their scores. Oh and the ending in AC was awesome imo, just wish the story was a little longer.kweeni

Yeah. Arkham City definitely had it's moments. I personally loved the museum level and the City of Wonders level, and even Jokers Hideout level as well. Also roaming around the city, with the unique gotham decor, and neon lights with the giant moon and snow passing by is still a sight to behold.

But the think with Asylum was that from top to bottom it was soaking with atmosphere and flavor. In City, you have to go to certain spots to sort of get that asylum "kick" again.

But yeah, that's not to rag on City's atmosphere. Because it has a very nice atmosphere of it's own, but just doesn't really compare to the more tight and linear atmosphere of asylum.

I know some people want to go even bigger, and I'm sort of confused on where I'd like the series to go. On one hand the atmosphere of Asylum is something really special, and is probably something that can only be done in a more tight and linear fashion. That said, there's something really alluring to be batman in a open world city. If you mixed the atmosphere of asylum, and everything else from AC then you'll get a "game of all time" type games.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

Right off the bat I tell ya I love sandbox games

Love the freedom of open world

So AC for me altho I havent even played it

I played AA and it was very good, very polished but just not my cup of tea personally.

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

AC for me but only just, I loved that City of Wonders bit, going down into this hidden city underground was just too awesome

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts
I liked Arkham Asylum more myself. I thought the pacing was a lot better. I also think Mark Hamill did a much better job as the Joker as his role was larger, Harley Quinn was good as well. I liked Arkham City too I just liked Arkham Asylum more.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

There is only one right answer, Arkham City

Arkham Asylum was only dungeons, Arkham City was dungeons done with even more detail put into them plus a gigantic overworld

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Hmm, I 'm not completely finished with Arkham City yet, but I will say thus far I like it even better than Asylum. My biggest thing is the combination of how detailed Arkham City is and how much more fluid movement is this time around. Just gliding and grappling around through the city is a blast in itself, and that's ignoring the great characters and story. At the end of the day, I'm delighted since both games are superb, and feature Bats, who's always been my favorite comic hero.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Arkham City all the way for me. Everything's better in AC: graphics, music, story, sidequests, challenges...everything. Batman's more mobile and less clunky. You get a new game+ which changes up the enemy encounters. There are tons of Riddler challenges. More gadgets. A much-improved combat system. I can't see how any part of Arkham Asylum is better at all.

Also, the voice acting is waaay better in AC. Just listen to all the conversations between random thugs for a good laugh. :lol: My favourite thug is the one who wanted to "ride the Harley." He talked so much ****, I felt bad for taking him out.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I prefer Asylum, but I acknowledge that City was the better game.

I prefer Asylum though because it has things I'm completely bias towards, like Scarecrow. Loved the Scarecrow parts. I also felt City was too cluttered with Riddler ****. Every goddamn nook and cranny had another friggin Riddler puzzle to solve.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metamania

Honestly, after seeing City in action, I'm not sure what else they could to improve the series. I don't want it turned into an MMO of sorts, that's for sure!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

That's a toughie. I have a special place in my heart for AA, but I'd have to give the edge to AC. Zipping and gliding around the city was just too fun.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

That's a toughie. I have a special place in my heart for AA, but I'd have to give the edge to AC. Zipping and gliding around the city was just too fun.

MirkoS77
This. I never really played a superhero game like BMAA and was shocked how great it was but gliding around the City was just so fluid and fun. Loved it!
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Asylum is the better of the two games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I like City better. I liked the atmosphere, the gameplay (improvements made to it) and the over all more open feel of it better.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I've played very little of Arkham City, but from what I've seen it seems to have the worst open world I've ever seen. Perhaps it gets better as the game progresses?
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44108 Posts
I'd have to go with Arkham City. As great as Arkham Asylum was Rocksteady managed to improve everything about it in AC and threw in a New Game + mode to boot.
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Arkham City is the better game. But Atmosphere is a big thing for me. Which Asylum easily had the better atmosphere, something about moving around that island and going into the sewers, the greenhouse, the prison, the medical ward and so on. It was just better in that sense. So for me they are about even, but Arkham City takes a slight edge due to the gameplay improvements and boss battles.

But like I said, Arkham City just wasn't as great to explore as Arkham Asylum was.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Arkham City, just.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I prefer Arkham Asylum.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

City easily. I dont understand how anyone could rate Arkham Asylum as being more atmospheric than Arkham City. The villians alone make the world feel more alive in Arkham City. The combat is better, the story is better, the graphics are just amazing (at least on the PC).

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Hard mode is actually do able in Asylum.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

AA is much more memorable to me. I remember much more of the plot and areas of AA.

I just completed AC yesterday and am having trouble remembering everything that happened let alone trying to figure out the confusing ending.

That said, the gameplay has been vastly improved. I can see myself sinking much more time into the AC challenge mode and new game +

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 S0lidSnake

Hard mode is actually do able in Asylum.chilly-chill

Batman is the easiest game to finish on Hard or extreme if you learn the combat. The lack of counters throw off some people, but as long as you vault over enemies, you should be able to finish each fight without taking a single hit. Same with the stealth sections.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Metamania

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]Hard mode is actually do able in Asylum.S0lidSnake

Batman is the easiest game to finish on Hard or extreme if you learn the combat. The lack of counters throw off some people, but as long as you vault over enemies, you should be able to finish each fight without taking a single hit. Same with the stealth sections.

Not only that, but for every fight I've been involved in, I always countered and knew who to go at first, like with those who had guns first. So far, I haven't had a problem with it. Like S0lid said, as long as you play it safe and do it right, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]Hard mode is actually do able in Asylum.Metamania

Not only that, but for every fight I've been involved in, I always countered and knew who to go at first, like with those who had guns first. So far, I haven't had a problem with it. Like S0lid said, as long as you play it safe and do it right, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

I'm playing Plus mode right now, and I'm at the Penguin part where you have to fight like 20 those stupid prisoners and recruits. I get what your saying though...kinda
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

chilly-chill

I'm playing Plus mode right now, and I'm at the Penguin part where you have to fight like 20 those stupid prisoners and recruits. I get what your saying though...kinda

Kinda? What are you not understanding?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="chilly-chill"]Hard mode is actually do able in Asylum.Metamania

Countering isnt tough, but countering multiple enemies can be a REALLY tricky without the indicator. That;s why i prefer vaulting over counter-ing. I love the combat scenarios in AC because they keep throwing new things at you. 20 guys is EASY. I was like give me 40 guys in every room, give them shields & weapons that I break, give me Titans and those two serbian brothers in every room! :P

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

chilly-chill

Use the Square+Triangle combo to break weapons and shields, dont waste your combo takedowns on Circle+Triangle combo because other enemies will keep picking up the weapons. Also, X+Circle takedown is the best takdedown in the game, it will take out multiple enemies with one hit as long as they are on the ground, which they should be after counters and other hits.

I went through the new game plus without using those two takedowns so I know first hand how easy it is to miss some of the new additions. :P

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#34 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

Arkham City. The gamplay, graphics, story, dialogue, voice acting, and challenges were all taken in the right direction. I think I was more blown away with Arkham Asylum though, mainly because it was a superb game and took me completely by surprise. Asylum has the best moments between both games, the Scarecrow encounters. It's hard to choose, but Arkham City is the better game.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
I loved both, but I think I loved Arkham Asylum alittle more. Like you guys have said, the atmosphere was amazing in AA, and the boss fights were better in AA I thought (the Scarecrow & Killer Croc levels are awesome!).
edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

Arkham Asylum was CREEPY at times and I caught myself more than once saying, "I don't want to go over there." An example would be the room where Joker's face followed you on a number of different TV screens. Creepy.

Atmosphere --> AA

Execution --> AC

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Hard mode is actually do able in Asylum.chilly-chill

It was easy in City too.

NeonPink22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NeonPink22

AA is much more memorable to me. I remember much more of the plot and areas of AA.

I just completed AC yesterday and am having trouble remembering everything that happened let alone trying to figure out the confusing ending.

That said, the gameplay has been vastly improved. I can see myself sinking much more time into the AC challenge mode and new game +

Cwagmire21

The mainplot isn't that hard to comprhend;

Batman purposly gets himself arrested due to the mumurings of activity inside Arkham City. He get's there, and soon discovers about Protocol 10. Eventually you discover what protocol 10 is, and that Raj Al Ghoul was behind it all. He wanted to create a perfect society, and eliminating Batman and Arkham City was why he teamed with Dr. Strage in the first place. In exchange Dr. Strange would be granted immortality, fortuntly his plans faltered.

Then you have the Joker side story; He had gotten ill from the titan in Arkham Asylum, and needed a cure. In the end Batman retreived the cure, but Joker stabbed him, making batman drop the cure...Joker dies.

The mainplot, and the ending are hardly to difficult to understand.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

^Seriously? Spoiler tags, sir or madam. They exist for a reason.

Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
Haven't played Arkham City yet, but from what I've seen my vote will go to Arkham City
ycdeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ycdeo
Member since 2004 • 2841 Posts
anything under batman titles was okay because i like to watch this superheroes cartoons performing on the TV/pc gaming screens!
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#42 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

I way more love Arkham City.

but i love Arkham Asylum.

and i am glad as hell that both exist.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I am leaning more toward Asylum. City was pretty good too, but it got stale because they relied on Joker too much. Dr. Strange seemed like an afterthought. I guess after seeing enough Joker in Asylum, I'd prefer heavier involvement from another villain.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

That's too hard, lol, love both.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Loved both! Arkham City is just slightly better though.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I disagree about Arkham Asylum having the better atmosphere, its very good and it makes you love Batman, but Arkham City makes you FEEL like you're Batman.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I disagree about Arkham Asylum having the better atmosphere, its very good and it makes you love Batman, but Arkham City makes you FEEL like you're Batman.

crimsonman1245
I agree that AC did a better job at making you feel like Batman, but having just played through AA again, I enjoyed the antagonists more in AA. As was said earlier, AC relied too much on Joker, which to me made it less memorable. The battles you have with Scarecrow, Killer Croc & Poison Ivy in AA were a real standout for me, and was something that was lacking in AC I thought. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

City by a tiny tiny margin.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

I just beat both games for the first time back to back, and I like Arkham Asylum more. Arkham City had terrible level design.

And what is the deal with them not including a mini-map? I hated having to constantly press select to check the map every 10 seconds. I had a lot of gripes about both games. They were both great games, but had a lot of annoyances.

I also thought the boss fights in AC were pretty weak. I don't know how to add one of those little spoiler things, but AC didn't have any boss fights even half as good as Ivy from AA, and AC didn't have any cool segments like the Scarecrow ones in AA.

I beat AA one day and then AC the next day, and ended up liking AA a lot more in the end.