Which Country makes the better games? United States or Japan?(Or Europe?)

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MicrosoftVP_Ted
MicrosoftVP_Ted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MicrosoftVP_Ted
Member since 2013 • 82 Posts
It has been a long time gaming for those who have been gaming for a long time, and now I ask you which of these two primary developing countries has the higher quality game output? I think both countries had put out more of the best games of all time and the most memorable experiences, but when it comes to gameplay, especially while going through the generations, which Japan has fallen a bit too far behind in, I would have to pick the U.S.A. So many great franchises with wide diversity, and when you look at mainstream games on both, you won't realize this, but just look bit bit in and you see that the quality is in U.S. games with the crazies ideas. Both sides have their uh, bad quality games for lack of better words. My order would be U.S.A>>>Japan>Europe>>>Everything else.
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

All of them.

Also, Fail on your geography skills.

MicrosoftVP_Ted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MicrosoftVP_Ted

All of them.

BarbaricAvatar
How is there a fail in my geography skills?
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#4 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

All of them.

MicrosoftVP_Ted

Europe isn't a country. Anyway I'd say so far I enjoyed more games by Japanese and European developers, but U.S games aren't far behind.
MicrosoftVP_Ted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MicrosoftVP_Ted
[QUOTE="MicrosoftVP_Ted"][QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

All of them.

Dudersaper

Europe isn't a country. Anyway I'd say so far I enjoyed more games by Japanese and European developers, but U.S games aren't far behind.

What would be some of these games? Just listing games for everyone to enjoy out of curiosity like I did in the op.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#6 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
You didn't name any games in the OP though. :P But yeah Japan: Dragon Quest VIII Persona 3FES Persona 4 Digital Devil Saga Samurai Warriors Yakuza Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 .hack .hack//G.U. Tekken Dead or Alive Europe: Dreamfall:The Longest Journey The Longest Journey Fahrenheit Heavy Rain okay now that I try to list it I realized that I actually have more US games I like than European. But Dreamfall and The Longest Journey more than make up for it. :P So the order would be Japan > U.S > Europe (but not far behind)
ladohanoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ladohanoi
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

It has been a long time gaming for those who have been gaming for a long time, and now I ask you which of these two primary developing countries has the higher quality game output? I think both countries had put out more of the best games of all time and the most memorable experiences, but when it comes to gameplay, especially while going through the generations, which Japan has fallen a bit too far behind in, I would have to pick the U.S.A. So many great franchises with wide diversity, and when you look at mainstream games on both, you won't realize this, but just look bit bit in and you see that the quality is in U.S. games with the crazies ideas. Both sides have their uh, bad quality games for lack of better words. My order would be U.S.A>>>Japan>Europe>>>Everything else.MicrosoftVP_Ted

How do you think about China.

I think the order here should be USA>>JAPAN>>China>>Europe

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Most of my favorite game developers are Japanese. Nintendo, Namco, Capom, and Square-Enix.

Most of Sony's big games though, like Uncharted, God of War, Infamus and such are all in the U.S. I beleive.

Oh and there is Ubisoft, here in Canada. They've made some of my favorite games as well.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts
Japan, but my favorite games such as Metroid Prime, Deus Ex, Doom, and Planescape: Torment were all made by American devs.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lazyathew

Japan, but my favorite games such as Metroid Prime, Deus Ex, Doom, and Planescape: Torment were all made by American devs.SonOfChewbacca
How did I forget to mention Retro? I am currently on a playthrough of Metroid Prime 2 right now too! lol. Yeah, Metroid Prime is amazing, some of my favorite games of all time. However, I am not sure if I can place then as one of my favorite devs, since the Metroid Prime Trilogy are the only games they made that I played. But that alone is so amazing that they are definitly noteworthy. 

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

This question is so vague that it's practically unanswerable. What genre are we talking about? What era are we talking about? Each region has it's various strengths and weaknesses, and at different times.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

^^^ Exactly

RPG's= Japan (for the most part although the US and Europe has made solid entries in recent years) Shooters, sports/racing = US

Different genres are mixed or tied....

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lazyathew

^^^ Exactly

RPG's= Japan (for the most part although the US and Europe has made solid entries in recent years) Shooters, sports/racing = US

WitIsWisdom

Yeah. It mostly comes down to you're preference of genre's. Although Japan and western developers have such diffeent styles in their RPG's that they are almost different genres. Of course, that is just a generalisation, there are WRPG's that are similer to traditional JRPG's and vice versa.

Personally, I like JRPG's a lot. More so then WRPG, generally.

As for other genres, yeah it is more mixed. My second favorite genre is action adventure. My favorite action adventure games are Zelda, Metroid, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Beyond Good and Evil, Red Steel 2 and Prince of Persia. 4 made in Japan, 3 in North America.

I am generally not a big fan of FPS, but I do enjoy some, and all them are pretty much made outside of Japan. Honestly, I was thinking about it recently, and I honestly could not come up with a single FPS made in Japan. I'm sure there are some, but I cannot think of any. Now people are probably going to list a whole bunch of games I don't know about, lol. But I am interested in you naming some. To see if there are any I know but I forgot about. :P

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

As suspected, MicrosoftVP_Ted is now banned.

I can now say that i was astonished by this topic because it was just asking for trouble. Every thread he's started has been in order to initiate an argument.

-

On topic:

I stand by my original statement. Doesn't matter where the developers are from, just the quality of the games. Every country makes the best games.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Japan, but my favorite games such as Metroid Prime, Deus Ex, Doom, and Planescape: Torment were all made by American devs.SonOfChewbacca

By your sentence alone, my answer is automatically U.S.A.

All 4 of those are in my Top 10 games of all time (DOOM 2 over DOOM though), not to mention Half-Life 2 and Bioshock, also American, also in my Top 10.

Of the remaining 4, 2 are from Canada, 2 are from Japan.

Canada: Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn, Eternal Darkness

Japan: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 4

So in essence, my Top 10 games all-time are:

6 for U.S.A.

2 for Canada

2 for Japan

Some other notable American games:

Starcraft

Diablo/Diablo 2

World of Warcraft

Guild Wars

Halo

Quake

Fallout/Fallout 2/New Vegas

Command and Conquer

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

it used to be japan(consoles) and europe(amiga) by far and beyond in the 80s and 90s, now however it might very well be usa, although the best game in recent years I played was dragons dogma, and that one is again japanese.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I'm not going to answer which country makes better games. I will say that my favorite games tend to be Japanese.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Overall Japan Rules. But the U.S.A is decent. Europe not so much.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silent_bomber
Member since 2009 • 767 Posts

European games I like

Grand Theft Auto series

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Ecco: The Tides of Time

Enslaved

Goldeneye

Crysis

Max Pain

Banjo Kazooie

Wipeout series

Diddy Kong Racing

Timesplitters series

Beyond Good and Evil

Colony Wars series

Rogue Squadron series

Turrican series

Rayman 2

Colin McRae Series/Dirt

Tomb Raider (I only really like the 1st one)

Little Big Planet series

X-Com series

G-Police

Plok

Burnout series

Project Gotham Racing series

Flashback

Syndicate Wars

Fable series

Micro Machines series

The Addams Family (Snes)

Earthworm Jim

Glover (N64)

Wetrix

Body Harvest

Blast Corps

Battletoads Series

RC Pro-Am 2

Lemmings

Earthworm Jim

Worms

North & South

Driver (only 1)

Theme Park

Viva Pinata

Crackdown

Ridick (Xbox)

Farcry 1

Killzone series

Sonic Allstar Racing

Monster Max (GameBoy)

Donkey Kong Country series

Killer Instinct series

Destruction Derby series

Puggsy

Adventure of Flink

Lomax

Team Buddies

XIII

Uniracers

Toy Commander

Second Sight

I think I'm going to stop now as otherwise I'll be here for ages, especially if I start adding computer games

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Emerald_Warrior

Europe not so much.

Megavideogamer

I'm sure there's many games you like that you don't even realize were developed in Europe.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Japan 

Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Pokemon, Super Mario Bros.......just those 4 franchises alone

Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Japan

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

If we're talking about the entire history of the video game industry, then I think the answer should be quite obvious: Japan.

While the US was leading the video game industry for most of the 1970s, that all changed when Space Invaders kick-started the golden age of arcade games in 1978. By the early 1980s, at the height of the arcade golden age, that's when the US came to realize that Japan has overtaken them. And then when the NES came along, Japan's dominance over the worldwide video game industry was more or less complete.

The majority of best video games from the late 1970s (the Space Invaders boom) to the early 2000s (the PS2 era) came from Japan, since they pretty much dominated nearly all sectors of the video game industry during that time, from arcades to consoles to handhelds. The only exception was of course the PC market, where each region had their own local PC brands up until the arrival of Windows 95.

If we're talking about the present day though, then there's no doubt that the West is dominating over Japan. Still, that doesn't necessarily mean the US alone has overtaken Japan, because a lot of the video games we often associate with the US are actually produced in Canada, the UK, or one of the various other European nations. That's why so many video game debates often boil down to Japan vs. the West rather than Japan vs. the US. The West is a lot more united, whereas Japan is today relatively more isolated, even from its own neighbours Korea and China (in gaming terms, of course).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

america and europe

Avatar image for samanthademeste
samanthademeste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 samanthademeste
Member since 2010 • 1553 Posts

The east=Nintendo/Playstation

The west=Xbox/PC gaming

more or less.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
Europe,NA a close second and then Japan.
Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

The east=Nintendo/Playstation

The west=Xbox/PC gaming

more or less.

samanthademeste
No, Europe=Playstation America=Xbox Japan=Nintendo and Playstation
Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

If we're talking about the entire history of the video game industry, then I think the answer should be quite obvious: Japan.

While the US was leading the video game industry for most of the 1970s, that all changed when Space Invaders kick-started the golden age of arcade games in 1978. By the early 1980s, at the height of the arcade golden age, that's when the US came to realize that Japan has overtaken them. And then when the NES came along, Japan's dominance over the worldwide video game industry was more or less complete.

The majority of best video games from the late 1970s (the Space Invaders boom) to the early 2000s (the PS2 era) came from Japan, since they pretty much dominated nearly all sectors of the video game industry during that time, from arcades to consoles to handhelds. The only exception was of course the PC market, where each region had their own local PC brands up until the arrival of Windows 95.

If we're talking about the present day though, then there's no doubt that the West is dominating over Japan. Still, that doesn't necessarily mean the US alone has overtaken Japan, because a lot of the video games we often associate with the US are actually produced in Canada, the UK, or one of the various other European nations. That's why so many video game debates often boil down to Japan vs. the West rather than Japan vs. the US. The West is a lot more united, whereas Japan is today relatively more isolated, even from its own neighbours Korea and China (in gaming terms, of course).

Jag85
I don't know who bumped this thread, and it was before I was even lurked, but people should look at this biased very stupid very INACCURATE post of pure BS and laugh at it. Never though jag was like this not even that long ago. WTF is this? It's like he knew he typed a bunch of false garbage. Luckily he seems slightly better now from looking at this post.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jag85

I don't know who bumped this thread, and it was before I was even lurked, but people should look at this biased very stupid very INACCURATE post of pure BS and laugh at it. Never though jag was like this not even that long ago. WTF is this? It's like he knew he typed a bunch of false garbage. Luckily he seems slightly better now from looking at this post.Jakandsigz

As usual, Jak posting worthless childish insults, without any facts to back up anything he says. Nice trolling. :roll: 

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

^^^ Exactly

WitIsWisdom

oh I don't know. Western RPGs in the 80s and 90s were damn good too :P

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Japan for sure
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
For the most part I enjoy a lot of Japanese games, but I feel that we are starting to make more quality games here in the US.
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts

Jag85
1. No it did not change, when the NES came out the software was still largely dominated by the U.S. as a European, you guys usually did not get most games from the U.S. in the few NES consoles that were sold in your region, so I would not expect you to know that so i don't blame you. 2.Asteroids and SI were both responsible for starting the golden age, as Asteroids was already announced when Space Invaders came to the U.S. after a few months in Japan. They both influenced many games. 3.US never was over taken by Japan in the arcades, the highest selling arcade cabinets all were dominated by U.S. games and most the Japanese games that reached to the top were one hitters. Only 9 japanese games were in the top tier, while 12 U.S. arcade games were dominating the arcade unit sales (above 10,000). That's just the top movers, going lower, there were still some fairly successful U.S. machines moving units around 5,000-7,000 while smaller japanese games were almost non existent. 4.The NES did not show anything at all. How does the NES show that the video game industry (which is not the same as the arcade industry at all lol wut?) was complete? You ok brah? 5.The majority of the best games what? 1970's to 2000's? What's your criteria for this? Potato chips? This is an odd claim that has no sense to it. 6.No, it's boiled down to Japan Vs. West, because Japan is the only major gaming developing nation in that WHOLE REGION. 7.I am not sure if this post is bias or if you were trolling but it makes no sense to me. What are you basing the 1970's to 2000's off of? From what? Software? Dominated mostly by the US. Hardware? Yeah ok, that doesn't mean anything, and there were still a few american hardware manufactures. Arcades? Still US dominated until around 2000. Also lol this is a necro thread. Well, it's already bumped now to late.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

OVERALL.

It has to be Japan doesn't it? 

But i think the UK and Canada are pretty good too.

GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

I#m a retro gamer, and I have only a solid knowledge up to 2002, at most. Considering this period, it is Japan by far. Europe is no country, so I'd look at each country seperately. So I'd say USA second, then UK, then France, then Germany, Spain, Canada.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

All of them in no order.

There have been awesome games games to come out of all the countries, and a metric shit ton of bad ones to come out of all countries.

I dont care where a game is made is long as it is good.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jag85

1. No it did not change, when the NES came out the software was still largely dominated by the U.S. as a European, you guys usually did not get most games from the U.S. in the few NES consoles that were sold in your region, so I would not expect you to know that so i don't blame you.

2.Asteroids and SI were both responsible for starting the golden age, as Asteroids was already announced when Space Invaders came to the U.S. after a few months in Japan. They both influenced many games.

3.US never was over taken by Japan in the arcades, the highest selling arcade cabinets all were dominated by U.S. games and most the Japanese games that reached to the top were one hitters. Only 9 japanese games were in the top tier, while 12 U.S. arcade games were dominating the arcade unit sales (above 10,000). That's just the top movers, going lower, there were still some fairly successful U.S. machines moving units around 5,000-7,000 while smaller japanese games were almost non existent.

4.The NES did not show anything at all. How does the NES show that the video game industry (which is not the same as the arcade industry at all lol wut?) was complete? You ok brah?

5.The majority of the best games what? 1970's to 2000's? What's your criteria for this? Potato chips? This is an odd claim that has no sense to it.

6.No, it's boiled down to Japan Vs. West, because Japan is the only major gaming developing nation in that WHOLE REGION.

7.I am not sure if this post is bias or if you were trolling but it makes no sense to me. What are you basing the 1970's to 2000's off of? From what? Software? Dominated mostly by the US. Hardware? Yeah ok, that doesn't mean anything, and there were still a few american hardware manufactures. Arcades? Still US dominated until around 2000. Also lol this is a necro thread. Well, it's already bumped now to late.

NationProtector

1. Last I checked, most of the best-selling NES games were made in Japan.

2. It was Space Invaders that kick-started the arcade golden age. This might not be so obvious in the US, where Asteroids overtook it shortly afterwards, but everywhere else in the world, Space Invaders was still dominating.

3. In terms of total sales, the combined sales of those Japanese arcade games was higher than the combined sales of those American arcade games.

4. The NES established Japan's dominance over the console market.

5. I said "late 70's to early 2000's". The criteria behind my comment is mainly critical reception. In the majority of all-time greatest games lists, that period is often dominated by Japanese games.

6. China and Korea are also major developing nations, but their games have mostly regional audiences, whereas Japan's games have more international audiences.

7. Up until 2002, Japan controlled nearly 50% of the global gaming market. That figure was probably even higher back in the 90's.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts
The vast majority of games are made in the u.s. So it's the only correct answer, especially since it's were most genres and sub genres started. I was going to say Europe was a close second, but then I realized that's not a country.
Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]

1. No it did not change, when the NES came out the software was still largely dominated by the U.S. as a European, you guys usually did not get most games from the U.S. in the few NES consoles that were sold in your region, so I would not expect you to know that so i don't blame you.

2.Asteroids and SI were both responsible for starting the golden age, as Asteroids was already announced when Space Invaders came to the U.S. after a few months in Japan. They both influenced many games.

3.US never was over taken by Japan in the arcades, the highest selling arcade cabinets all were dominated by U.S. games and most the Japanese games that reached to the top were one hitters. Only 9 japanese games were in the top tier, while 12 U.S. arcade games were dominating the arcade unit sales (above 10,000). That's just the top movers, going lower, there were still some fairly successful U.S. machines moving units around 5,000-7,000 while smaller japanese games were almost non existent.

4.The NES did not show anything at all. How does the NES show that the video game industry (which is not the same as the arcade industry at all lol wut?) was complete? You ok brah?

5.The majority of the best games what? 1970's to 2000's? What's your criteria for this? Potato chips? This is an odd claim that has no sense to it.

6.No, it's boiled down to Japan Vs. West, because Japan is the only major gaming developing nation in that WHOLE REGION.

7.I am not sure if this post is bias or if you were trolling but it makes no sense to me. What are you basing the 1970's to 2000's off of? From what? Software? Dominated mostly by the US. Hardware? Yeah ok, that doesn't mean anything, and there were still a few american hardware manufactures. Arcades? Still US dominated until around 2000. Also lol this is a necro thread. Well, it's already bumped now to late.

Jag85

2. It was Space Invaders that kick-started the arcade golden age. This might not be so obvious in the US, where Asteroids overtook it shortly afterwards, but everywhere else in the world, Space Invaders was still dominating.

3. In terms of total sales, the combined sales of those Japanese arcade games was higher than the combined sales of those American arcade games.

5. I said "late 70's to early 2000's". The criteria behind my comment is mainly critical reception. In the majority of all-time greatest games lists, that period is often dominated by Japanese games.

6. China and Korea are also major developing nations, but their games have mostly regional audiences, whereas Japan's games have more international audiences.

7. Up until 2002, Japan controlled nearly 50% of the global gaming market. That figure was probably even higher back in the 90's.

1.Software was still largely dominated by the U.S., even on the NES, and I like how you ignored other consoles existence. Or computers. I would go and say there are more US games on the NES than japanese games (not including famicom exclusive add-ons like disk.) 2.Actually no, because the golden age of arcade was mostly being spend on in the U.S. no other country came close the the numbers moved in the U.S. outside s couple japanese games.SI also did not dominate until months after release, where asteroids was announced WW. 3.No they were not. You like pulling numbers out your backside don't you? There is a reason why only one hits from certain companies even did better. Other japanese games that were not the popular ones were barely existent while the lower US arcade companies continued getting decent number all the way to 1963. Most of the popular arcade games that were everywhere came from the US. 4.IN Hardware. And technically, Sega and Atari (both technically american companies) still had a market share. Don't forget the fact the NES was made from off the shelf parts from the U.S. (so was SI arcade machine.) No to mention the Genesis did well in the console space as well. Either way you look at it, most of the software was still being made in the US. 5.No it didn't. You are basing this off a link with limited sources, some repeating, and some of them have different criteria like "only on nintendo platforms." you have nothing accurate to base this off of but bias. 6.No they are not. Korea is climbing but it's still not there. Gaming entertainment in china is a limited market. 7.Random estimate from a random website with no source Jag stop the pulls. How is that even possible? the only way it could be is by hardware. Softwares it's physically impossible and I think that's what you are trying to pull random figures for. It's not that hard to look a lists of games for a bunch of systems to see that I am right.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

Nitendo is based in japan. So Japan obviously. 

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

All make amazing games so I cant pick one over another. But I have to admit , my fellow american broskis have probably made the most shitty ones

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Emerald_Warrior

All make amazing games so I cant pick one over another. But I have to admit , my fellow american broskis have probably made the most shitty ones

awptical

No so much. Ever heard of Blizzard Entertainment? Activision? Bethesda? Microsoft? Midway? Atari?

Hell, most of the foreign game makers that so many people here love, probably wouldn't be around if it wasn't for the initial success of Atari in the arcade and home console markets.

Like I said in my first post in this thread, this questions is so vague it's unanswerable. Different countries have different strengths and weakness, in different genres, at different times.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Wasn't Atari a subsidiary of a French company? That's nuts.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Emerald_Warrior

Ilovegames1992

Maybe in one of the later buy-outs, but not originally.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Japan, by far for me. My favorite studios are SEGA AM2, Platinum, Retro, Treasure Co, Cave, Nintendo EAD Tokyo, Intelligent Systems, CDPR, and Prope. All but two of those are in Japan.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts

Ilovegames1992
After they had already died a few times, yes, Infogrames bought them. But they were founded in the US by Americans Nolan Bushnell and Al Alcorn, then bought by US company Time Warner, then later a hard drive company.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="NationProtector"]

NationProtector

1.Software was still largely dominated by the U.S., even on the NES, and I like how you ignored other consoles existence. Or computers. I would go and say there are more US games on the NES than japanese games (not including famicom exclusive add-ons like disk.)

2.Actually no, because the golden age of arcade was mostly being spend on in the U.S. no other country came close the the numbers moved in the U.S. outside s couple japanese games.SI also did not dominate until months after release, where asteroids was announced WW.

3.No they were not. You like pulling numbers out your backside don't you? There is a reason why only one hits from certain companies even did better. Other japanese games that were not the popular ones were barely existent while the lower US arcade companies continued getting decent number all the way to 1963. Most of the popular arcade games that were everywhere came from the US.

4.IN Hardware. And technically, Sega and Atari (both technically american companies) still had a market share. Don't forget the fact the NES was made from off the shelf parts from the U.S. (so was SI arcade machine.) No to mention the Genesis did well in the console space as well. Either way you look at it, most of the software was still being made in the US. 5.No it didn't. You are basing this off a link with limited sources, some repeating, and some of them have different criteria like "only on nintendo platforms." you have nothing accurate to base this off of but bias.

6.No they are not. Korea is climbing but it's still not there. Gaming entertainment in china is a limited market.

7.Random estimate from a random website with no source Jag stop the pulls. How is that even possible? the only way it could be is by hardware. Softwares it's physically impossible and I think that's what you are trying to pull random figures for. It's not that hard to look a lists of games for a bunch of systems to see that I am right.

1. The best-selling NES games are mostly Japanese, not American. And I'm only "ignoring" computer games because it was a much smaller market back then. Very few 80's computer games back then sold over a million copies, with the only ones I can think of that did being The Last Ninja (British), Thexder (Japanese), and Prince of Persia (American).

2. Actually, arcade games were selling better in Japan than they were in the US even during the arcade golden age. For example, Space Invaders alone made more business in Japan than the entire US video game industry did in 1978, As for Asteroids, that was released at the end of 1979, almost a whole year after Space Invaders released in the US. The arcade golden age had already begun, though Asteroids certainly contributed greatly to it.

3. Pac-Man and Space Invaders alone sold more arcade machines than the top ten American arcade games of that era combined. Like I said above: "In terms of total sales, the combined sales of those Japanese arcade games was higher than the combined sales of those American arcade games."

4. Sega is a Japanese company. Just because it was founded by an American migrant, that doesn't make it an American company. According to your logic, ATI and NVIDIA must be Chinese companies just because they were founded by Chinese migrants.

5. The site I linked to combines almost every known "all-time greatest games" list published up until early 2012. It's probably the only unbiased compilation you'll find on the net. And even if you removed the several Nintendo lists, it would hardly make much difference, as Japan would still come out ahead of America for the 80's and 90's.

6. China has one of the largest gaming markets in the world, third only to the US and Japan. And in terms of PC gaming specifically, China has the largest PC gaming market in the world.

7. The 50% figure is for both hardware and software. If you believe the source is wrong, then why don't you any post a source that claims otherwise?

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Yo-SUP
Japan, by far for me. My favorite studios are SEGA AM2, Platinum, Retro, Treasure Co, Cave, Nintendo EAD Tokyo, Intelligent Systems, CDPR, and Prope. All but two of those are in Japan.famicommander
Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Yo-SUP
Sega released arcade games when they were based in the US.