Which console has the biggest gaming library in general?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StatusShuffle
Member since 2012 • 1908 Posts
I ask this because many say it's the Ps2, and i kind of went with that, but almost all sources I have checked with list of games shows the 360 has the biggest console game library and not the PS2. So I am not thinking that the PS2 having the biggest library may indeed be overblown out of proportion. So i think it's time we investigate.
cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

I don't know about the raw numbers, but the PS2 definitely has more variety.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StatusShuffle

I don't know about the raw numbers, but the PS2 definitely has more variety.

cabose38
Not sure where you got that from.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

I enter thinking it's another of your topics and it is:P

Anyways, hard to tell, since all consoles had a lot of shovelware, could be the PS2, DS, PS1, SNES, NES...

HallowBastion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 HallowBastion
Member since 2004 • 9906 Posts

Go to GameFAQs, and click on any system. Then where it says to 'browse all games,' click on 'All.' Then scroll down to the bottom of that page, and see how many pages there are. Using that, you should get a general sense of how many games are on that system. The X-Box 360 has 56 pages of games, which is quite a bit. The Nintendo DS has 55 pages of games, the most of any handhold console. The PS2 has 59 pages of games. As of right now, the PS2 has the biggest gaming library, but in time, that will probably change.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Id have to imagine its the PS2, unless one includes the PC of course.

personally, I own more Saturn games than I do for other systems, that and the PC make up around 1/3 of my collection.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StatusShuffle

Go to GameFAQs, and click on any system. Then where it says to 'browse all games,' click on 'All.' Then scroll down to the bottom of that page, and see how many pages there are. Using that, you should get a general sense of how many games are on that system. The X-Box 360 has 56 pages of games, which is quite a bit. The Nintendo DS has 55 pages of games, the most of any handhold console. The PS2 has 59 pages of games. As of right now, the PS2 has the biggest gaming library, but in time, that will probably change.

HallowBastion
\No. Not only does Gamefaqs mis systems and games, they also repeat sometimes the same game twice or more by accident, and include the different names for one game per other countries as seperate games. Like megaman 6, Rockman 6, and Mega Man 6 would all be considered 3 different games for example. With all those Jrpgs on the Ps2, that automatically give a random boost. I have checked multiple sources in case of this, and right now i am trying to wee out the above problem from gamefaqs, but so far the 360 is about a page ahead.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="HallowBastion"]

StatusShuffle

\No. Not only does Gamefaqs mis systems and games, they also repeat sometimes the same game twice or more by accident, and include the different names for one game per other countries as seperate games. Like megaman 6, Rockman 6, and Mega Man 6 would all be considered 3 different games for example. With all those Jrpgs on the Ps2, that automatically give a random boost. I have checked multiple sources in case of this, and right now i am trying to wee out the above problem from gamefaqs, but so far the 360 is about a page ahead.

And StatusShuffle is a much more reliable source than GameFAQs. :roll:

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StatusShuffle

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="HallowBastion"]

Emerald_Warrior

And StatusShuffle is a much more reliable source than GameFAQs. :roll:

More idiocity :roll: StatusShuffle=Gamefaqs, Wiki, Ign, Gamespot, 1up, Gamezone, and a few other sites, checking for all games and separating. Emerald Warrior and Hallow=Gamefaqs. Yep more reliable, GTFO.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
Gameboy
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StatusShuffle
I also mentioned I was currently sorting Gamefaqs as well, so the reliable source that is more reliable than me I am using is not reliable? That brain needs some circulation.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Emerald_Warrior

A quick Google of it turned up 1850 on PS2 and 929 on XBox 360.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 StatusShuffle

A quick Google of it turned up 1850 on PS2 and 929 on XBox 360.

Emerald_Warrior
If you believe those numbers you have a terrible bias. Especially since the Xbox 1 had around 900 games :lol:
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#14 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
My google search came to PS2- Roughly 2,016 games 360- Roughly 736 full retail games + 285 Xbox Live Arcade games Even if those numbers aren't pin-point correct, I'll still take their word over yours when saying the PS2 does have the bigger library. And given the fact that both mine and E_W's researches are slighly different BUT represent the PS2 having the larger library in both researches, it just reenforces the fact that I won't take your word for it when saying the 360 is "one page ahead".
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StatusShuffle

My google search came to PS2- Roughly 2,016 games 360- Roughly 736 full retail games

That is only possible if you include renames for different regions, and count limited and re-printed editions as separate.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#16 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Wikipedia is known for not having exact information but it doesn't have extremely incorrect information. If wikipedia + various other sources claim that the PS2 has more games than the 360 than it's most probably true even if not by the exact numbers stated, it could be by much less even, but I haven't seen any source claim that the 360 has more games than the PS2, other than yourself that is, but you're not really that reliable given your history.
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StatusShuffle
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]Wikipedia is known for not having exact information but it doesn't have extremely incorrect information. If wikipedia + various other sources claim that the PS2 has more games than the 360 than it's most probably true even if not by the exact numbers stated, it could be by much less even, but I haven't seen any source claim that the 360 has more games than the PS2, other than yourself that is, but you're not really that reliable given your history.

What history? What other time have I ever talked about raw numbers of anything? Exactly. Multiple sources are key, and I also said SO FAR it's a page ahead, I am not even done, and yet you already are resulting to something else.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#18 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

This is stupid...... StatusShuffle

I agree. but I've come to expect as much when I see "StatusShuffle" as the topic creator.

.......the Xbox has over 736 shooters in general and that's a knwonw fact. StatusShuffle

what the hell is a "KNWONW" fact?

look, you asked a question, people answered. if you don't like those answers, go look up the information from whatever source YOU are going to be happy with.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

The PS2 has at least 2000 official releases across all reagions. I think the Wii is in second with a little over 1200.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

It's gotta be the PS2.

It's been around so much longer than the 360, and they continued making games for it up until last year.

Some Gamestops still sell PS2 games and the PS2 bargin bin has freaking HUGE. I love it. I found Okage, YuYu Hakusho and Devil May Cry in that bin.

Not only does it have the biggest library, it also has the most quality and diverse library.

It's got the best of both worlds, quality and quantity.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

In a way the original Playstation 3 60 & 20 Gigers have the biggest gaming library. The entire original Playstation library, The entrie Playstation 2 library, And the entire Playstation 3 library. Plus all of the PSN games library. So for a single console that can play the most games PS3 launch models cannot be equalled.

But for a single console, With only offical releases The Playstation 2 which has lasted from March 2000- Aug/Sept 2012 ? Maybe the Atari 2600 with a lifespan of 14 years and tons of games, Most of which are unoffical. Which is one of the reasons for the Videogame industry Crash of 1983.

Atari 2600 or PS2 for a single console, Phat PS3 20 & 60 Gigers for the biggest gaming library in general.

Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
PS2 gets my vote
Avatar image for Legendarycr8ter
Legendarycr8ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Legendarycr8ter
Member since 2012 • 354 Posts

In a way the original Playstation 3 60 & 20 Gigers have the biggest gaming library. The entire original Playstation library, The entrie Playstation 2 library, And the entire Playstation 3 library. Plus all of the PSN games library. So for a single console that can play the most games PS3 launch models cannot be equalled.

But for a single console, With only offical releases The Playstation 2 which has lasted from March 2000- Aug/Sept 2012 ? Maybe the Atari 2600 with a lifespan of 14 years and tons of games, Most of which are unoffical. Which is one of the reasons for the Videogame industry Crash of 1983.

Atari 2600 or PS2 for a single console, Phat PS3 20 & 60 Gigers for the biggest gaming library in general.

Megavideogamer
TC PS2. We will hear in SW when this changes. not sure why thread you make confusing, simple. and LOL Megavideogamer, what is this post? not one piece of this is factual. Especially currently.
Avatar image for Legendarycr8ter
Legendarycr8ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Legendarycr8ter
Member since 2012 • 354 Posts
Lol TC level 2.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

Legendarycr8ter

TC PS2. We will hear in SW when this changes. not sure why thread you make confusing, simple. and LOL Megavideogamer, what is this post? not one piece of this is factual. Especially currently.

What is wrong about his post? What part of it isn't true? You can play the entire Playstation library on an original PS3. Atari 2600 did last 14 years (1977-1991). And he did say EITHER Atari 2600 or PS2, he didn't name one or the other as the winner.

Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

It'd be PC, but since you said consoles, nothing beats the PS2 in flat out number of games. Although now that I think about it, I have to wonder if any handheld has more games. I'd take a guess that because of the lower development costs that the GBA has more games, and I wouldn't be surprised if the DS did as well. A google search isn't helping me a whole lot right now to find that out though...

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jaypakavelya
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts

it has to be PS2 , it has the best variety , xbox 360 is almost shooters ..

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

PC wins by a mile.

However we are talking about consoles. The PS2 had an extensive library. I'm not sure if any other platform can match it.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Anyone want to link these numbers of which has the biggest library? Yes that includes you TC.

BlendThree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BlendThree
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts
PC by far but then that's not exactly a console by definition.. in which case Playstation 2 takes the cake. "The PlayStation 2 is the best-selling console of all time, having reached over 150 million units sold as of January 31, 2011. This milestone was reached 11 years after the system was released in Japan on March 4, 2000. Further, Sony said at present there are 10,828 game titles available for the system and that 1.52 billion PS2 titles had been sold since launch." That's not a typo- 10,828 games comprise the PS2 library and counting. Even though the system's predecessor was released back in 2006, the PS2 is still being supported by third party developers and Sony itself. Here is the link to these impressive stats: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/150-million-ps2-units-shipped-worldwide-6298857
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Emerald_Warrior

PC by far but then that's not exactly a console by definition.. in which case Playstation 2 takes the cake. "The PlayStation 2 is the best-selling console of all time, having reached over 150 million units sold as of January 31, 2011. This milestone was reached 11 years after the system was released in Japan on March 4, 2000. Further, Sony said at present there are 10,828 game titles available for the system and that 1.52 billion PS2 titles had been sold since launch." That's not a typo- 10,828 games comprise the PS2 library and counting. Even though the system's predecessor was released back in 2006, the PS2 is still being supported by third party developers and Sony itself. Here is the link to these impressive stats: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/150-million-ps2-units-shipped-worldwide-6298857BlendThree

There's really 10,828 games on PS2?! That sounds ridiculously high! I find it hard to believe even. But it's right there on Gamespot's website. Amazing.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#32 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

[QUOTE="BlendThree"]PC by far but then that's not exactly a console by definition.. in which case Playstation 2 takes the cake. "The PlayStation 2 is the best-selling console of all time, having reached over 150 million units sold as of January 31, 2011. This milestone was reached 11 years after the system was released in Japan on March 4, 2000. Further, Sony said at present there are 10,828 game titles available for the system and that 1.52 billion PS2 titles had been sold since launch." That's not a typo- 10,828 games comprise the PS2 library and counting. Even though the system's predecessor was released back in 2006, the PS2 is still being supported by third party developers and Sony itself. Here is the link to these impressive stats: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/150-million-ps2-units-shipped-worldwide-6298857Emerald_Warrior

There's really 10,828 games on PS2?! That sounds ridiculously high! I find it hard to believe even. But it's right there on Gamespot's website. Amazing.

are you sure its individual games? maybe its just different versions of the same game, like a US and European release listed as different games.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#33 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="BlendThree"]PC by far but then that's not exactly a console by definition.. in which case Playstation 2 takes the cake. "The PlayStation 2 is the best-selling console of all time, having reached over 150 million units sold as of January 31, 2011. This milestone was reached 11 years after the system was released in Japan on March 4, 2000. Further, Sony said at present there are 10,828 game titles available for the system and that 1.52 billion PS2 titles had been sold since launch." That's not a typo- 10,828 games comprise the PS2 library and counting. Even though the system's predecessor was released back in 2006, the PS2 is still being supported by third party developers and Sony itself. Here is the link to these impressive stats: http://asia.gamespot.com/news/150-million-ps2-units-shipped-worldwide-6298857Darkman2007

are you sure its individual games? maybe its just different versions of the same game, like a US and European release listed as different games.

Yeah, there has got to be some of that going on to get that number. On top of that you got all the game-of-the-platinum-hits-collection type stuff and all the regional varients on those.

TheZanmato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheZanmato
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

PS2 has the most biggest games library in the world - You should check Wikipedia :P

Australianpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Australianpope
Member since 2012 • 211 Posts

PS2 has the most biggest games library in the world - You should check Wikipedia :P

TheZanmato
Wikipedia also says that the Xbox 360 only has 900 something games, which oddly enough does not make sense at all, when Shooter by themselves are half a thousand, and we all know there are more than just shooters on the 360 (and has a bigger library than Wii and PS3) so this just reeks of confusion. I guess if somebody wants to take their time, they can count all the games for each in Gamefaqs individually? It might take a minute though.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
PAL, NTSC, or JAPAN?
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
A quick look at the official Sony and Microsoft sites give these numbers PS2 - 1809 and 360 - 1632. The 360 includes xbla and unreleased games as well.
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StatusShuffle
A quick look at the official Sony and Microsoft sites give these numbers PS2 - 1809 and 360 - 1632. The 360 includes xbla and unreleased games as well. Devil-Itachi
Link?
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Devil-Itachi"]A quick look at the official Sony and Microsoft sites give these numbers PS2 - 1809 and 360 - 1632. The 360 includes xbla and unreleased games as well. StatusShuffle
Link?

Why does he have to provide a link. You, and you solely alone, are the only one on this thread that doesn't believe PS2 has the largest game library despite all the links and Wikipedia quotes given to you.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 StatusShuffle

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="Devil-Itachi"]A quick look at the official Sony and Microsoft sites give these numbers PS2 - 1809 and 360 - 1632. The 360 includes xbla and unreleased games as well. Emerald_Warrior

Link?

Why does he have to provide a link. You, and you solely alone, are the only one on this thread that doesn't believe PS2 has the largest game library despite all the links and Wikipedia quotes given to you.

Really? Me solely alone> I mean i know you can't read but damn at least check on yourself before posting. Also, if you read the thread and thread title, which you did not, and you post random numbers people would like links to it. Or do what i did and count each game on gamefaqs. Things that make sense, something you're not good at.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I never understood why a TC would get angry at people answering a question he asked.

LordBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LordBrew
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts

Why not do some research and then make a thread?

Seems pointless to instigate an investigation only to argue with people who actually DO some investigating.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

PS2: 1800+ games

http://us.playstation.com/ps2/

Xbox 360: 562 games

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Search?downloadtype=Game&page=7&pagesize=90&query=games&sortby=Title

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StatusShuffle

I never understood why a TC would get angry at people answering a question he asked.

Ragnarok1051
Answering with nothing showing you got the answer? Man,

Why not do some research and then make a thread?

Seems pointless to instigate an investigation only to argue with people who actually DO some investigating.

LordBrew
I did did you even read the OP?
StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StatusShuffle

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Search?downloadtype=Game&page=7&pagesize=90&query=games&sortby=Title

OniStrat
I see what you did there with the MS link lol marketplace.
OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 OniStrat

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

StatusShuffle

Oops, my bad. Here's another link:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games/All?SortBy=ReleaseDate

So, 1636 games including Arcade games, as someone already mentioned before.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StatusShuffle

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]

OniStrat

Now all you need is a link that has an actual list of games for the Ps2, and we can find out.
Supertornado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Supertornado
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts

Very entertaining, TC is raging so hard, I bet his head is red like a tomato. Please don't make him angry anymore he's going to explode.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 OniStrat

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"] I see what you did there with the MS link lol marketplace.StatusShuffle

Now all you need is a link that has an actual list of games for the Ps2, and we can find out.

No I don't, but what the hell. Here you go:

http://us.playstation.com/ps-products/BrowseGames?&sortOrder=rDatenf&console=ps2&recordsOnPage=48&viewType=thumbview&beginsWith=Any&publisher=Any&genre=Action,Adventure,Arcade,Compilation,Educational,Extreme_Sports,Family,Fighting,Fitness,Music,Party,Puzzle,Quiz,Racing,RPG,Shooter,Sports,Strategy&esrb=early_childhood,everyone,everyone_10,teen,mature,rating_pending&page=1

I believe this settles it, although I have a feeling you'll be asking for even more proof.

StatusShuffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StatusShuffle

[QUOTE="StatusShuffle"][QUOTE="OniStrat"]Oops, my bad. Here's another link:

OniStrat

No I don't, but what the hell. Here you go:

http://us.playstation.com/ps-products/BrowseGames?&sortOrder=rDatenf&console=ps2&recordsOnPage=48&viewType=thumbview&beginsWith=Any&publisher=Any&genre=Action,Adventure,Arcade,Compilation,Educational,Extreme_Sports,Family,Fighting,Fitness,Music,Party,Puzzle,Quiz,Racing,RPG,Shooter,Sports,Strategy&esrb=early_childhood,everyone,everyone_10,teen,mature,rating_pending&page=1

I believe this settles it, although I have a feeling you'll be asking for even more proof.

You had no reason to post a list for 360 and none for PS2 in the first place. Now according tooo...