Which company do you think has been developing better RPGs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by wraith-squad66 (1368 posts) -

Atlus or Square Enix? Not considering their past video game releases, just their stuff on current handhelds/consoles, which company do you think has been releasing and developing richer-gameplay and more interesting stories in their RPG franchises?

#2 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

Has Atlas actually developed an RPG this gen bar Persona 4? I guess Square Enix. :|

But Bioware are the bosses.

#3 Posted by wraith-squad66 (1368 posts) -

oh and by this gen i mean anything 2005 onward, since xbox360 was released then i think...

#4 Posted by ristactionjakso (5664 posts) -

Mistwalker.

But in all honestly, come January 22nd, it will be Level-5.

#5 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

We can only choose between Square Enix and Atlus? Then, Atlus, by a long shot.

#6 Posted by V3rciS (2207 posts) -

Old bioware was pretty good, I also like cd projekt

#7 Posted by Daizengar (47 posts) -

I don't usually play JRPGs, so I'm not -too- familiar with either company. However, I do know that Atlus made the Golden Sun games, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Overall, though, I feel that Square Enix is a stronger company and has more resources to create good RPGs. I haven't played any of the latest Final Fantasy games, but based on what I can see, Square Enix knows what they're doing, so I'd go with them.

Although, if you were to give me a choice between any company this generation, I would go with Obsidian. They really knows how to make deep and interesting charaters, with decent storylines, as well.

#8 Posted by skooks (1411 posts) -

Has Atlas actually developed an RPG this gen bar Persona 4? I guess Square Enix. :|

Ilovegames1992
Off the top of my head: Etrian Odyssey games, Radiant Historia, Devil Summoner/Devil Survivor games, Yggdra Unison. Radiant Historia was fantastic. Atlus gets my vote for that game alone.
#9 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

I don't usually play JRPGs, so I'm not -too- familiar with either company. However, I do know that Atlus made the Golden Sun games, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Overall, though, I feel that Square Enix is a stronger company and has more resources to create good RPGs. I haven't played any of the latest Final Fantasy games, but based on what I can see, Square Enix knows what they're doing, so I'd go with them.

Although, if you were to give me a choice between any company this generation, I would go with Obsidian. They really knows how to make deep and interesting charaters, with decent storylines, as well.

Daizengar

I love Obsidian for creating KOTOR but their track record isn't great really. It only has IP to its name and whilst charming for a while its a pretty poor game in my view.

They have a habit of creating glitchy games too. I wonder if they would be a really good developer if given the necessary time and budget to create more IPs and less glitchy games.

#10 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

skooks

Off the top of my head: Etrian Odyssey games, Radiant Historia, Devil Summoner/Devil Survivor games, Yggdra Unison. Radiant Historia was fantastic. Atlus gets my vote for that game alone.

On the PS3 and 360? This generation of consoles? All i've got is Persona 4 as a developer according to Wiki? Although it seems they've published a crap ton of games.

#11 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="skooks"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

On the PS3 and 360? This generation of consoles? All i've got is Persona 4 as a developer according to Wiki? Although it seems they've published a crap ton of games.

They've mostly been making games for handhelds. On PS3 and 360 they've got Catherine and...I think thats it. They're going to come out with Persona 5, but so far all their JRPGs have been on handhelds.

#12 Posted by skooks (1411 posts) -

[QUOTE="skooks"][QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

DS.
#13 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="skooks"] Off the top of my head: Etrian Odyssey games, Radiant Historia, Devil Summoner/Devil Survivor games, Yggdra Unison. Radiant Historia was fantastic. Atlus gets my vote for that game alone.Lucky_Krystal

They've mostly been making games for handhelds. On PS3 and 360 they've got Catherine and...I think thats it. They're going to come out with Persona 5, but so far all their JRPGs have been on handhelds.

I thought Catherine but i've seen a lot of it and i can't bring myself to call that an RPG.

#14 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

I thought Catherine but i've seen a lot of it and i can't bring myself to call that an RPG.

Yeah Catherine's not an RPG. I was just saying, that's all they've got on the PS3/360.

#15 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="skooks"] Off the top of my head: Etrian Odyssey games, Radiant Historia, Devil Summoner/Devil Survivor games, Yggdra Unison. Radiant Historia was fantastic. Atlus gets my vote for that game alone.skooks

DS.

Fair enough, as a console gamer DS titles barely register. But still according to Wiki they've developed very little. Especially considering their output in recent years.

Stil grudgingly give it to Square Enix.

Actually, FUK IT, the title goes to Bioware.

#16 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Fair enough, as a console gamer DS titles barely register. But still according to Wiki they've developed very little. Especially considering their output in recent years.

Ilovegames1992

Atlus has developed quite a few quality JRPGs this gen for the PSP, DS, and now they're working towards the Vita and 3DS.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree that Square Enix is releasing games with "richer gameplay and more interesting stories." Development wise, Square just likes to shoot itself in the foot.

#17 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Lucky_Krystal

Atlus has developed quite a few quality JRPGs this gen for the PSP, DS, and now they're working towards the Vita and 3DS.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree that Square Enix is releasing games with "richer gameplay and more interesting stories." Development wise, Square just likes to shoot itself in the foot.

Trust me, wouldn't make that claim at all haha.

I think they're both better pubishers than deveopers.

#18 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -
Between those two Atlus easily, they have a lot of great games over the last few years.
#19 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Atlus. No contest.

They make more original content.

Better soundtracks.

Better stories.

Try playing Nocturne. Holy fvck that game has an amazing story.

Atlus has class.Square Enix is trying too hard.

Square wanted to make an original and intuitive battle system for FFXIII, but by trying too hard to be unique, they ended up making a battle system that was incredibly dumb. And then they add QTEs into their battles. THIS ISN'T GOD OF WAR! *facepalm*

Square seems to have fallen victim to this terrible fad of graphics >>> gameplay.

Atlus knows how to make intuitive, turn-based battle systems that aren't overly complicated...Or stupid. Square Enix has become too pretentious for my tastes.

#20 Posted by -Unreal- (24533 posts) -

Probably Atlus. SE seem to have went downhill from FF13 to FF14.

#21 Posted by Archangel3371 (15248 posts) -
For JRPG's I have to go with Square-Enix. I think the only Atlas game that I've played this gen was Catherine. I'd put Mistwalker at a very close second though. For WRPG's I'd definitely pick Bioware. I'd also pick them overall, they've been pretty awesome this gen.
#22 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Out of those to I'd have to say square-enix. Just because I dont recall playing any rpgs by Atlus this gen(Persona 4(Great game) was on ps2(last gen)).

but altogether I'd have to give it to CDProjekt(Bioware close 2nd(though I think they've lost there edge) the witcher 2 is the best rpg I've played this gen.

Best rpg of all time according to me is Baldurs Gate 2(Bioware).

Don't get me wrong I love jrpg's just as much as wrpg's.

Bioware used to be my favorite Dev(besides Hideo Kojima), but they've been getting worse since EA got a hold of them.

hmm maybe they'll make me eat my words when da3 comes out.