Which Bioshock game is better Bioshock or Bioshock infinite?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

special-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 33

Edited By special-ops
Member since 2011 • 121 Posts

I would say that Bioshock is much better than Bioshock Infinite because Bioshock was more like that you can have fun with it and Bioshock Infinite was little boring and sometimes fun to play so guy's which Bioshock game is better Bioshock or Bioshock Infinite.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Bioshock 1 hands down. Loved the atmosphere and story.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Bioshock 1 is the best Bioshock game

It was a great experience and not like Bioshock Infinite that clearly was inflated by the ego Levine had gotten at that stage.

Also infinite had a terrible weak story that clearly didn´t read up on the multiverse theroy enough and also booker and Elizabeth was written weak and in the DLC they played way to much on booker being the bad guy.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts

Bioshock has a better atmosphere but deeply flawed gameplay. Respawning enemies, backtracking, and ammo conservation do not mix.

Infinite has much better gameplay (I played on Hard) and a more driving, mysterious narrative, but Columbia just doesn't hit home the same way Rapture does.

I liked them both for different reasons. Bioshock is a more unified package, though. It has a vision and sticks to it throughout. If it weren't for the terrible gameplay design, it would easily be my favorite of the two.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Bioshock Infinite was a mess - it had a lackluster story and enemies that take an afternoon to kill.

Definitely go with Bioshock 1.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -3

#5 IncisionX
Member since 2004 • 208 Posts

Great question but for me it has to be.... Bioshock!

Whilst I loved Infinite with the refinements to gameplay and refreshing change of scenery, it just doesn't hit you the same as Rapture.. Rapture felt vastly open whilst giving you this claustrophobic feeling that few games can manage.

Also there was a slight horror element to it with the darker maps, splicers with menacing hooks for hands and a story that in my opinion surpasses Infinite, as mentioned above a few back tracking issues with re-spawning enemies were frustrating but they were so overwhelmed by the fantastic settings :D

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

definitely the original, i wasn't a fan of all the changes made to the gameplay system in Infinite, the inability to carry health kits, eve or "vigor" vials, ect, just ruined the game for me, but tbh even if it weren't for this issue i seriously doubt it could've topped the original, the first Bioshock game is just a masterpiece imo.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

Bioshock 1 hands down. Loved the atmosphere and story.

Yeah... I love both games, but there's something special about Rapture.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IncisionX

That part when you discover Atlas has betrayed you and it plays all the "Would you kindly" flashbacks.. holy crap... immense!

^ SPOILERS ^ SPOILERS ^ SPOILERS ^

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#9 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

I skipped Bioshock 1 and played Bioshock 2 and Infinite, so i would have to say B2 because i liked the story more. But i loved Infinite, i don't know why everyone hates on it.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#10  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Has everybody forgotten about Bioshock 2?

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@Kevlar101 said:

It's hard to remember bioshock 2 when your in between two of the better games of the series. If I am correct it had multiplayer which had no right being in a bioshock game.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Both are really good in my opinion. There should have been a poll to this, by the way. I want to see the comparisons. I feel more people like the first BioShock, which is perfectly reasonable, though I'm just curious. I can't really decide honestly, there are aspects of each game that I liked more than the other, and I feel they're enough to cancel out each other to the point where I just can't decide.

@Kevlar101 said:

It wasn't a forgettable game, but I don't think many people thought it was up to par with the first game or even Infinite (though some people really seem to hate Infinite) That said, I still thought it was a great game, but I'd easily put it behind the other two.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 IncisionX

I actually love Bioshock 2.. it wasn't as great as the other two but it earned a place in my heart when I could drill people into walls. ( lawl. )

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I prefer both Bioshock and Bioshock 2 over Infinite, although I am still a big fan of Infinite it just didn't hold the same appeal as the first two.

Bioshock 2 refined gameplay and told a more focused story. It gave the player choice which was handled in a much better and more interesting way than the original. It was a worthy sequel but never really tried to top its predecessor. It's amazing how many people just over look this title considering they are such big fans of the original.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IncisionX

Yeah I completely agree, BS2 was completely over looked as soon as they mentioned Multiplayer tbh ^^

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

I actually enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, but definitely far inferior to Bioshock 1, which was longer to me, and had more variety in weapon upgrades and a better story. Bio Infinite simply was more streamlined for the masses.

IncisionX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IncisionX

@VERTIGO47 said:

Bio Infinite simply was more streamlined for the masses.

Sadly an awful lot of franchises streamline the experience to grip more gamers.. I'm not sure if that was the intent with Infinite since BS1 was incredibly popular but it certainly feels that way.

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

Infinite had better gun mechanics and storytelling (note HOW the story was told, not the story itself). Everything else I'd say BioShock was better at.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Bioshock

jekyll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#20 jekyll
Member since 2002 • 9140 Posts

Infinite wasn't without its great moments and cool environments, but it just wasn't as good as the first two titles.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Loved Bioshock and the story was fantastic but I wasn't a big fan of the claustrophobic environments. For that reason and the inclusion of Elisabeth in Infinite I'm going to have to go for the newer of the two games. It's a very close call though and I wouldn't disagree with anyone who chose the first game.

kingcrimson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#22 kingcrimson24
Member since 2012 • 824 Posts

Gameplay : Bioshock 1

Story , Art Style , Music : really , not too many games can come close to Bioshock Infinite's Story.

I Liked Infinite a bit more .

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69444 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

Both are really good in my opinion. There should have been a poll to this, by the way. I want to see the comparisons. I feel more people like the first BioShock, which is perfectly reasonable, though I'm just curious. I can't really decide honestly, there are aspects of each game that I liked more than the other, and I feel they're enough to cancel out each other to the point where I just can't decide.

I feel the same. I don't understand the hate that Infinite receives. Its funny that gamers cry for change and when they get change they cry for about the change.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@JordanElek said:

Bioshock has a better atmosphere but deeply flawed gameplay. Respawning enemies, backtracking, and ammo conservation do not mix.

Infinite has much better gameplay (I played on Hard) and a more driving, mysterious narrative, but Columbia just doesn't hit home the same way Rapture does.

I liked them both for different reasons. Bioshock is a more unified package, though. It has a vision and sticks to it throughout. If it weren't for the terrible gameplay design, it would easily be my favorite of the two.

Eh? respawning enemies and ammo conservation was almost identical in Infinite and if you have played the dlc you get to really feel the pain of respawning enemies and less then a teaspoon of ammo. If you did indeed played on hard.

JordanElek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 JordanElek
Member since 2002 • 18564 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

Eh? respawning enemies and ammo conservation was almost identical in Infinite and if you have played the dlc you get to really feel the pain of respawning enemies and less then a teaspoon of ammo. If you did indeed played on hard.

The enemies don't respawn in Infinite every time you leave the room like they do in Bioshock. More enemies might appear as the plot progresses, but you can pass through an area multiple times without fighting the same enemies again.

And ammo is everywhere in Infinite. There are those ammo bins, and Elizabeth throws you some occasionally. But regardless, there aren't infinite enemies to kill like in Bioshock, so sparse ammo wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I haven't played the DLC yet because I'm waiting for the second part.

And yes..... I did play on Hard.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#26 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I liked BioShock Infinite for the setting and theme but the first BioShock was more gripping on story and horror

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts

Bioshock 1 is on my gaming "Mount Rushmore". And I love the improved gameplay and flow of Bioshock 2, a very nicely tuned game. Infinite.... I dunno, didn't finish it and plan to get back to it at some point. I loved the visuals but the gameplay and story were not grabbing me.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

I absolutely loved Infinite, it was amazing in every way.. But the first Bioshock was still better, it's THAT good.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Tough one. I want to put them at the same level. But I think Infinite slightly, slightly pulls ahead. There were definite flaws though. Combat was very fatiguing after a few hours. A regenerating shield?? Stupid AI that don't know how to use cover and only allowed to carry 2 guns were my peeves.

I haven't played the first one in awhile so I don't remember what I disliked about it.

If bioshock 1 was an 8/10 game then infinite is 8.1/10

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

bioshock for me

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i liked more the setting of the first one so i'll give a slight edge to bioshock 1, it was darker and the underwater city was a lot more incredible.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I liked Infinite a little better. Love both of them though.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

you want specifics or you just wana know which one is better overall ?

Infinite did a few things better than Bioshock did.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Also. Bioshock 2 eats Bioshock for breakfast and sh!ts out Infinite.. Sooooo... Yeah Bioshock 2 !

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#35  Edited By vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

The original, hands down. The gameplay serviced the story rather than having elements there just because some other game did it, the plot wasn't full of holes, it didn't needlessly limit the player to two weapons and then make ammo scarce for those weapons for little reason, it didn't give you an ai companion and then do a poor job and making them contribute to the actual gameplay experiences, ect ect

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#36 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69444 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Also. Bioshock 2 eats Bioshock for breakfast and sh!ts out Infinite.. Sooooo... Yeah Bioshock 2 !

I lost interest in 2 after the first 5 minutes. LOL. I may gave a try sometime but it did not feel correct especially with cutscene intro.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Bioshock is definitely the better game. I love Infinite as well but it could have been so much better if it hadn't gone through such a troubled development. Infinite is one of my favorite games the past gen but also one of the most disappointing.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Bioshock 1 all the way. Infinite was too linear and dumbed down for my tastes. No memorable characters like Sander Cohen, or Andrew Ryan sucked too.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Pedro said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I lost interest in 2 after the first 5 minutes. LOL. I may gave a try sometime but it did not feel correct especially with cutscene intro.

The combat in the second one improves on the gameplay from the first one is almost every single way including something that most people don't talk about, enemy variety. Killing Big Daddy's became too easy at the end of the first game. The 2nd one also includes the best battle set piece in the entire series. It's probably worth playing through Bioshock 2 just so that you can play through and understand Minerva's Den. Top 5 DLC from last gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
Member since 2003 • 378 Posts

I can't compare since I barely played the first (Horror + Me = Hell no!).

Looking at Infinite by itself, I think it is kind of disappointing. It actually begins great. Sinking down that elevator shaft, with the lights shining through the cut out words and the heavenly music playing in the background, for instance? So freaking good! One of my favourite gaming moments. Wandering through Columbia, playing with carnival games and generally messing about (while portentous and mysterious things happen) is great as well.

The first real cracks start to appear once they actually put a gun in your hand. The gameplay is, to put it mildly, tedious. Endless shooting, forever. The weapons feel loose as well.

Outside of the actual combat, the game still managed to hold my attention long enough for me to meet and rescue Elizabeth in enjoyable fashion. From then onwards, the bad starts to outweigh the good. Unenjoyable and over long combat sections, mixed with silly, fanfiction-esque Booker-Elizabeth interactions, make the game a bit of an awkward chore. In particular, Elizabeth's annoying... 'Elizabeth-ness' looks like it's going really grate by the end of the game.

And it's not even like I hate this sort of super cheery and naive character (Rapunzel from Tangled is fantastic!), it's just that Elizabeth seems so in a really false way. Not that she is actually false or putting on affectations, it just seems that the game devs don't really to know how to make such a character convincing (at least, as far as I got in the game).