Where to find a new Sega Saturn?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Just wondering if anybody knew where I would be able to find a new Sega Saturn? I do intend on playing but I still want to buy it new. I have never been able to buy used electronics. A little OCD of mine.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

If you do find one... it's probably going to go for a ridiculous price (anywhere above $500 I would assume).

sealed retro items are extremely and unreasonably expensive.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

If I had an unopened mint retro console, I'd never part with it for any price.

On the other hand, I'd happily pay for a new Dreamcast well into the thousands.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

You might find one on eBay occasionally but it will probably cost upwards of a grand. You'd be much better off buying a used one.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

It's either going to be extremely expensive or a reseal, either way not really worth it unless you're trying to go for a CiB collection of Sega stuff.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21695 Posts

You're not going to find a new Saturn for a sane price online. I would just buy a refurbished one, and then clean it thoroughly.

JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Yeah if you want to actually play the thing than a new one would be waaaaaaay more than you need to spend. I got a working one from a Goodwill for $10! Had to order a video cable from ebay and now im good.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I think to get a new one, you may need one of these ------->

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RimacBugatti

Thanks everybody! I had only found the Japanese models new and the others were used. All of my consoles stay in mint condition as I have no pets or kids. So even though they are used they stay looking new. I will see if I can find one in good condition. Yeah I may need a time machine for sure. I wasn't into playing games back then but I wish I had been.

Gannon27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10 Gannon27
Member since 2014 • 103 Posts

Hi Starshine. My brother has a mint condition dreamcast in an unopened box. He had just about every game available on the DC, he played it that much that he was afraid that he would burn the first one out. I have tried to buy it off him many times but he won't budge. :)

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

What would be the point of having it if you aren't going to use it and you aren't going to sell it.

"On the other hand, I'd happily pay for a new Dreamcast well into the thousands."

That's kind of wasteful. It's a dead console where most of the good games it had are already available on other consoles.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Starshine_M2A2

@Pffrbt said:

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

What would be the point of having it if you aren't going to use it and you aren't going to sell it.

"On the other hand, I'd happily pay for a new Dreamcast well into the thousands."

That's kind of wasteful. It's a dead console where most of the good games it had are already available on other consoles.

It's about ownership. The simple fact that you have it and very few others do. That in itself is worth far more than something as common as money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

depends, does it have to be a sega Saturn? Or just play those games? if the latter, there either are or will soom come a sort of legacy console, that accepts a fairly wide range of cardridges, can not remember if Saturn was one of those + you would have the advantage of modern conntction types to your tv. Win Win.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Some-Mist

@Pffrbt said:

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

not necessarily a dead console. Pier Solar and NEO XYX are releasing for Dreamcast this year. Sturmwind released for it last year along with Gunlord.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pffrbt

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

It's about ownership. The simple fact that you have it and very few others do. That in itself is worth far more than something as common as money.

So it's having a false sense of superiority over other people because you spent over a thousand dollars on a dead console you're neither going to use nor sell, rendering it a worthless hunk of plastic. Sorry, but I don't see the point or see how that's worth more than having that money to spend on something worthwhile.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RimacBugatti

If I have the console I will play it. I want to play the games on the console just to have that feel of playing games in those days. Like when I play the Dreamcast it reminds me of those times when gaming was really starting to expand. Plus I like the look of the Sega Saturn to be honest. I know I have to play the Dreamcast from time to time because when it sat for years when I went to play it the controller didn't work immediately but after pressing the buttons a few times it began to work like new. The Dreamcast also has games that can't be found anywhere else. It was a system well worth the money spent.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Starshine_M2A2

@Pffrbt said:

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

So it's having a false sense of superiority over other people because you spent over a thousand dollars on a dead console you're neither going to use nor sell, rendering it a worthless hunk of plastic. Sorry, but I don't see the point or see how that's worth more than having that money to spend on something worthwhile.

So I assume you don't believe in the concept of Museums, the preservation of history, and basic sentimental value?. And that the Louvre should sell the Mona Lisa to the lowest bidder just to make a quick buck.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2: Don't bother, seriously. You're wasting your time.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Some-Mist

imagine not understanding the concept of collecting.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pffrbt

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

So I assume you don't believe in the concept of Museums, the preservation of history, and basic sentimental value?. And that the Louvre should sell the Mona Lisa to the lowest bidder just to make a quick buck.

There's a difference between preserving history and culture in a museum and hoarding things in your closet. And no, I don't place sentimental value on things that have no actual sentimental value.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Starshine_M2A2

@Pffrbt: One console is hardly hoarding.

And I wouldn't keep it in my closet. It would be behind bullet proof glass in on it's own podium. So when Armageddon does arrive and the world is a charred husk, devoid of life - the only thing that will be left is my Dreamcast. It will then be found by future civilsations who will study it and be able to know how we lived. Thus contributing to the great circle of life.

Finally, when I'm reincarnated thousands of years later, I'll think to myself; " Wow, I'm glad I didn't listen to that fool without a soul and flog this immortal piece of history for meer chunks of metal!"

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Some-Mist

holy crap Pffrbt, you've got to be a major buzzkill to hang out with man...

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RimacBugatti

@Starshine_M2A2: That was good! Well I'm hoarding 6 consoles and a PC. Why would we work if we weren't going to spend our money right. Dreamcast in my opinion is by far one of the ultimate consoles.