Where does the Wii stand with other legacy consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by katiewebb (3 posts) -
Would you say it's one of the best, one of the worst, or somewhere in the middle? I personally think it'll be remembered much more fondly in the years to come.
#2 Posted by Lucianu (9309 posts) -

I personally think it'll be remembered much more fondly in the years to come.katiewebb

It will. Years from now wen people start digging up its unique hidden gems, and its bad reputation fades away, it'll be a great system to own, especially because it's far more reliable than the HD twins and its fully BC with the Gamecube.

#3 Posted by gamenerd15 (4433 posts) -

The system has a lot of quality games on it, but Nintendo's casual focus and image during this generation turned off a lot of avid gamers.  They system has titles such as

Monkey Ball

2 Zelda's

Paper Mario

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Battalion Wars 2

Zack and Wiki

Fire Emblem

Resident Evil 4

Okami

Smash Bros

Mario Kart

De Blob

Wario Land Shake it

No More Heroes

Deadly Creatures

Cursed Mountain

Muramasa the Demon Blade

Mario Bros Wii

Punch Out

No More Heroes 2

Medal of Honor Heroes 2

Tatsunoko vs Capcom

Red Steel 2

Monster Hunter Tri

Prince of Persia

Som and Punishment Star Successor

Metroid Other M

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Kirby's Return to Dreamland

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Sonic Colors

Goldeneye

Lost in Shadow (Shadow's Tale)

Xenoblade

Warioware

Mad World

A Boy and His Blob

Excitebots

Most people probably did not even tough half of the games I listed. 

#4 Posted by LordQuorthon (5263 posts) -

The little box that could is already a classic in the eyes of System Wars... The same System Wars that hated it to no end a few months (if not weeks) ago. Nintendo had a good thing going with the Wii. Too bad they were too stupid to understand that and pulled an Xbox 1/Gamecube on it. 

#5 Posted by Yama (34101 posts) -

Despite it's shovelware and such, there were a ton of gems that went under the radar. I already have fond memories of it, it'll likely get better in time when everything can be attained dirt cheap.

#6 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

Banned already, huh?

#7 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

I think it will be remembered fondly and there will be a lot of sought after games for it. The only complaint I have about the Wii is that because it was so successful, there are probably 10 crap games for the console for every good/excellent game. I'm waiting for the price of Wii games to plummet here in the next few years and that is when I will be picking up a lot of games for the console I don't already own. Having Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment and Klonoa is enough to make me happy already though :p

#8 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Banned already, huh?

SonOfChewbacca

lol...

I wonder how many more alts will he create? :P

hahaha.gif

#9 Posted by Samslayer (1649 posts) -

I think it's quirkyness will be it's sustaining factor! Like previously stated there are plenty of great games that were just covered by a bunch of really crappy 'cash-in' games.  

I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles right now, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.  It is one of those consoles where I go long stretches without even turning it on, but when I do there is usually a pretty great experience behind it. 

#10 Posted by Chozofication (2717 posts) -

The best. 

#11 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

It has a couple fantastic games on it, like Xenoblade, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Sin and Punishment, but it's definitely my least favorite Nintendo console.  Overall it was disappointing when compared to the Gamecube, and yes I loved the Gamecube.

#12 Posted by Sileviathan (149 posts) -
I think that as time goes on, people will remember it more fondly. It was a great system that had some truly amazing games.
#13 Posted by LordBrew (269 posts) -
My Wii stands next to my PS2 ;) I've enjoyed every game that I've played on my Wii so far (apart from Alone in the Dark. That was awful) and with a bit of tinkering it's a very versatile emulator. I'd like to think that it will be remembered fondly, it's not the best system ever but it definitely has it's fair share of great games.
#14 Posted by critorkong (48 posts) -
I barely see it as a legacy console, since it's main competitors are still fully active. I liked the console myself, but to me it just can't reach the more classic Nintendo consoles.
#15 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

The system really does have a lot of gems on it, they're just buried within a glut of shovelware.

The same could be said for the NES, though. I have a feeling that 10 years down the road or so, many will fondly look back on the Wii as a great system. Especially considering how many people bought one.

List of great Wii games:

• Bit.Trip Collection
  • Cave Story
  • Data East Collection
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Epic Mickey
  • House of the Dead 2 & 3
  • House of the Dead: Overkill
  • Kirby's Dream Collection
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • Metroid: Other M
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • Pandora's Tower (Just released this month, and it looks freaking AMAZING!)
  • Pinball Hall of Fame: Gottileb Collection
  • Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection
  • Rayman: Origins
  • Resident Evil Archives releases
  • Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles & Darkside Chronicles
  • Samurai Shodown Anthology
  • SNK Arcade Classics
  • Sonic: Colors
  • Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
  • Super Paper Mario
  • Super Smash Bros.: Brawl

And the Wii's Virtual Console is a fantastic app for the Wii. It's a great way to play old games that are too expensive or hard to find that you've always wanted to play. Latest I read is that Earthbound is getting released for it.

#16 Posted by TURBO-DASH (70 posts) -
The Wii is a wonderful consoles with the best games this gen. The Wii U takes that and bring the power needed to be 4x better. But back to the Wii, so many quality games, and don't listen to the haters, there are plenty of third-party games, the devs that could not transition to HD from the 6th generation where using all sorts of creative muscles and game design to make up for the lack of higher resolution and 4 million dollar budgets on just a jacket of a character, alan wake.
#17 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

lol...

nameless12345

Look at the post above this one, familiar name?

#18 Posted by Cloud_765 (111386 posts) -
The Wii was a great system, it just ended up with a lot of flak. I love the Wii, it's one of my favorite systems.
#19 Posted by rainbowTROUT (1 posts) -
While the Wii was not my personal favorite Nintendo console, its still an amazing console that not only had some very decent games on the platform such as Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda: Twilight Princess. It also had a system that allowed you to purchase all of your NES, SNES and even N64 favorites at a fraction of the cost of being purchased elsewhere, not to mention the excellent BC with Gamecube games, enabling me to play Wind Waker, or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance on it. Everyone is right when they say that the system will eventually be remembered for having some great titles going for it, rather than it being negatively judged as a "casual" console. I wonder how great the Wii U will turn out to be with the great 3rd party support it is going to get for a good number of titles; this console race will be a very interesting one.
#20 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -

[QUOTE="katiewebb"]I personally think it'll be remembered much more fondly in the years to come.Lucianu

It will. Years from now wen people start digging up its unique hidden gems, and its bad reputation fades away, it'll be a great system to own, especially because it's far more reliable than the HD twins and its fully BC with the Gamecube.

i agree for sure. nintendo's consoles are the only ones i find myself constantly going back to
#21 Posted by final_lap (319 posts) -

I for one think Wii will be a good legacy console. It's small, it's cheap, it has high quantity of exclusives, it has Virtual Console, it has all the cool doohickies like Wii Wheel and Classic controller, it has value as a party/multiplayer system, and the fact that motion controls are practically outdated will make the Wii all the more unique when compared to other classic consoles. And if you have the non-mini model, it even doubles as a Gamecube.

#22 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Piece of ****.

#23 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Wii will be remembered fondly, I think. I have always given Nintendo credit for it because they something different on a non-superficial level and had great success doing so. That being said, I think its runaway popularity and the seemingly ubiquitous untouched-for-years Wii in non-gamers' living rooms will be fodder for "I Love the 00's" in years to come.

#24 Posted by super600 (30090 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

lol...

Emerald_Warrior

Look at the post above this one, familiar name?

That's someone's else's alt.

#25 Posted by super600 (30090 posts) -

I thought the Wii was a pretty good console once you went past it's glaring flaws.It just needed more support from third party, but there were a lot of amzing games on the console.

#26 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -
It will be one of the worst of all time
#27 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

It will be one of the worst of all timeXxR3m1xInHDn3D

How do you figure? It is the highest selling system this generation.

#28 Posted by voljin1987 (682 posts) -

[QUOTE="katiewebb"]I personally think it'll be remembered much more fondly in the years to come.Lucianu

i can think of one game which might go down as a cult classic much like earthbound and that is zak and wiki
#29 Posted by Megavideogamer (5274 posts) -

The Wii will have a place amongest other Legacy consoles. It has a place in history. But 25 years from now will provide a answer. Difficult to state a long term legacy.

#30 Posted by PacoTaco (356 posts) -

I put it way down the list.  Sure it was revolutionary, but the game library was very poor and did not maximize the advantages of the platform.  It's a shame; it was the first seventh gen console I bought but I have the least number of games for it.