Where did all the great WW2 FPS games go?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Iceman-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Iceman-gamer
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Just re watched Band of Brothers and started thinking... Where did all the great WW2 FPS games go?

I know that at one point there was really an overload of them, but all of a sudden they were all gone. The last one I can remember is World at war, which was quite good.

Seems like now that there is a new generation of consoles, maybe there is also a place for a WW2 FPS coupled with a really good story line. Im seeing a really good character driven game mixed with documentary footage to get you into the mood :)

What do you think about this?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Yeah I agree. Would love to see a good quality WW2 shooter! Maybe something with a decent story.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#3  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah I agree. Would love to see a good quality WW2 shooter! Maybe something with a decent story.....

.....and set in the Pacific Theater.

Anyway, the one WW2 FPS that I can honestly say I miss in Brothers in Arms. I still really friggin' want to see third main entry, BIA: Battle of the Bulge.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I miss WW2 fps. Call of duty 2, COD world at war., The original medal of honor; awesome games.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Private Ryan came out and it made people want to 'play the movie' so there were a bunch of those types of games. Too many, in fact. Americans also latched onto the old righteousness of that war and tried to cling fondly to the last time that we weren't an evil empire as we moved forward in Iraq. As the war progressed, people wanted to 'play the war', so we got a lot of 'modern day' shooters. Now we're trying to get out of major land wars and the emphasis will probably go to science fiction like it is with TitanFall.

Iceman-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Iceman-gamer

There seems to be two games in development right now

http://www.giantbomb.com/enemy-front/3030-36917/
http://www.giantbomb.com/sniper-elite-3/3030-41928/

But Im not getting the tingle story wise... Would be great with a sort of "The last of us" type game, but FPS and set in WW2... And with next gen graphics.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Give WW2 a break. We've got too much out of it.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#8 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

When it comes to modern combat shooters, I think they now safely outweigh the number of WW2 shooters.

I think if any developer decides to make another WW2 game, they need to do something different with it, instead of recycling the same confrontations in the same theatres of war. I too would like to see another WW2 game, but perhaps in a different setting, with a different twist on it. There are few games that portray all of the different nationalities involved, or show the resistance fighters, or even cover the Burma theatre of war (where my grandfather fought). There is still material they could work with to make a compelling game.

I would also like to see a WW1 shooter with a good story. It was not all about trench warfare, especially at the start of the war, and if they found the right mix of infantry, aerial, sea and armoured combat, it could be interesting.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

WW2 has been done to death

Iceman-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Iceman-gamer

@Gallowhand said:

When it comes to modern combat shooters, I think they now safely outweigh the number of WW2 shooters.

I think if any developer decides to make another WW2 game, they need to do something different with it, instead of recycling the same confrontations in the same theatres of war. I too would like to see another WW2 game, but perhaps in a different setting, with a different twist on it. There are few games that portray all of the different nationalities involved, or show the resistance fighters, or even cover the Burma theatre of war (where my grandfather fought). There is still material they could work with to make a compelling game.

I would also like to see a WW1 shooter with a good story. It was not all about trench warfare, especially at the start of the war, and if they found the right mix of infantry, aerial, sea and armoured combat, it could be interesting.

Yes, setting is definitely one aspect. I also felt that many of the games lacked a lot of narrative and good story telling. It was either just a sandbox experience or a bunch of incoherent levels stacked one after another with short mission briefings in between.

It could be that Im older, with more responsibilities such as work and family, therefor I don't have time for sandbox fooling around in the same way I had as a kid. I want maximum value for the two hours a week I get to enjoy video gaming. Thats why I really loved the Unchartered games for example, they were completely linear (at least that's what I experienced). But I get the feeling both the industry and a huge part of the gaming community looks down their nose upon linear gaming. But I don't get why because it really ensures a maximum control over the story and cuts down the travel time for me as a gamer.

There should really be enough space for both types of gaming :)

Also great idea with the WW1 game. It could also be a game that covers both wars...

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

There was Wolfenstein in 2009, if you don't mind the magical BS it's a really good WW2 shooter.

Iceman-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Iceman-gamer

@Black_Knight_00 said:

There was Wolfenstein in 2009, if you don't mind the magical BS it's a really good WW2 shooter.

Yes, I also saw that there is a new Wolfenstein in the works, but given the magical ingredients I'm having a hard time counting them as traditional WW2 games which I'm trying to find here. But thank you anyways!

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Well Red Orchestra 2 is still a thing so you could just play that.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I never did really care too much for the WW2 era shooters. It wasn't until Modern Warfare that I became a big Call of Duty fan and World at War was my least favourite of the "new" CoD games. I do really enjoy the Wolfenstein games though.

hellangel_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15 hellangel_boy
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

I think the move toward more focus on the multilayer affected WW2 games, because lots of those game had at the very least an interesting story (MOH, old COD's) Now, with the SP being the "additional" feature to the MP, lots of people want to play with that "cool" weapon and gadget, and WW2 weapons wouldn't interest them, though I like playing with old weapons.

Iceman-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Iceman-gamer

@hellangel_boy said:

I think the move toward more focus on the multilayer affected WW2 games, because lots of those game had at the very least an interesting story (MOH, old COD's) Now, with the SP being the "additional" feature to the MP, lots of people want to play with that "cool" weapon and gadget, and WW2 weapons wouldn't interest them, though I like playing with old weapons.

Yes, I concur in that analysis. Even though a strong PvP experience adds a lot of replay value, it is also a great source of the income for gaming companies in terms of DLC packs. Therefor single player often takes the back seat which is sad...