When did cutscenes start getting out of hand?

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

metalgrinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 metalgrinch
Member since 2005 • 455 Posts

Cut scenes are awesome, don't hate. They are sometimes done REALLY well, give a great story, and work great as a breather between levels. As long as it's not ridiculously overdone (MGS4, i love you but im looking straight at you) then it works.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#53 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

I am not the one taking game play and say that to use that show the story of the game is interactive.

wiouds

those stories are about the themes explored in the gameplay. demon's souls is about the characters' addiction to power and braid is a game about reflection. there's no other way to show that a story is interactive than to use gameplay. gameplay is interactivity.

I do not concider that game play as part of the story's plot. There are many things you can not do for the story during the game play. I have yet to see anyone get across key plot points during the game play it self.

so you either haven't played any games that use interactivity for storytelling or simply refuse to acknowledge their existence. that's not much of an argument.

stories are about more than a series of events. they need character, worlds, and motivation. the plot points of demon's souls would fall apart if there was no urge to level up. if the pursuit of power is so dangerous, why not just stop? it's because power is addicting. and even then, games can still convey key plot points as well. go play braid. there's a part at the end where the player character must "rescue the princess." i won't spoil it, but it's definitely the biggest plot point of the game and it's not a cut-scene.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I think part of it is that they're dumbing games down.

They think we're stupid and therefor incapable of digesting a story or plot, unless the entire game stops and "OK PRESS X TO SEE SOMETHING COOL"

They could easily incorporate plot thru NPC interaction, while not interrupting the gameplay. And it's the player's choice if they want to stop and listen to the conversation or push on down the hall.

But that would require IQ above 78 on the part of the player, to actually stop and listen.

I think ultimately what people are hungry for is to be able to play an FPS for an hour without having control jerked out of your hands every 5 minutes.

I personally found ME3 enraging, seriously I wanted to find a developer and beat them over the head with my controller. You can't even go down a 20 foot hallway without the game ripping the controller out of your hand. By the end of it I just wanted to hit somebody for ruining what could have potentially been a great experience. Thanks for wasting my life you cutscene monkies.

I'm actually very hopeful for next gen consoles to have enough RAM to not have to use cutscenes as a crutch, they could actually tell the whole story thru gameplay.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I do not concider that game play as part of the story's plot.

wiouds

That's what video games ARE.

That's why they're called video games, you're not watching the story you're PLAYING the story.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
They could easily incorporate plot thru NPC interaction, while not interrupting the gameplay. And it's the player's choice if they want to stop and listen to the conversation or push on down the hall.

But that would require IQ above 78 on the part of the player, to actually stop and listen.ZombieKiller7

Well, see, that's the thing. It seems that more often these days, developers actually ARE trying to tell a story or make some kind of point. And just like with film, it's the director's job to get that point across. If you allow the player to completely mess up the events of the story, then you've sort of failed to get your point across. And at that point, you can use a cutscene or incorporate the plot through NPC interaction, but it's basically the same thing. Either way, that's still restricting the player's freedom for the sake of telling the story.

Qraziguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Qraziguy
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Seems like a very divided issue so far...

My take: I have a very love/hate relationship with them. I think intros and endings are best when done with cutscenes. When done right, they can build suspense, as in the case of an intro, or resolution as with an ending scene. Blizzard has been referenced a couple of times, and that is fitting because they do an amazing job with their CGI. I have never once thought that they specifically should tone it down. However, when you look at something like Final Fantasy XIII, i think you can see the difference for yourself. Cutscene after cutscene after cutscene interspersed with minimal gameplay... frankly, it gets annoying.

As for storytelling, it is simple to do via gameplay. How did games like the original Final Fantasy or the original Metal Gear (NES) tell a story without them? There was very limited use of cutscenes, if any, in early games like these, so why are they praised like they are for having such good stories? Because they were able to do so without the cutscenes and CGI that modern games flaunt like excess cleavage.

Much like cleavage, it can be tastefully done, but when it crosses a certain line, you are just a slut. :cool:

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

I do not concider that game play as part of the story's plot.

ZombieKiller7

That's what video games ARE.

That's why they're called video games, you're not watching the story you're PLAYING the story.

Whats wrong with a small amount of cutscenes? Absolutely nothing, some games use cutscenes brilliantly. Such as The Walking Dead, Infamous, Mass Effect 2, etc. The list of games that use cutscenes right, is a lot shorter than the ones that use them wrong.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#59 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
There is time that stories are told better when it is not interactive. Half-Life 2 was a perfect example of when cut scenes would have been better.wiouds
HL2 is widely regarded as a sublime game because of how it treats the player. You underestimate the impact of leaving the player in control of a situation as events unfold. Take an example in HL2: Episode 1. When underground in the dark, Alyx makes a zombie sound from behind, you turn around gun ready and she laughs at you. A cut scene will struggle to reproduce that.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
[QUOTE="wiouds"]There is time that stories are told better when it is not interactive. Half-Life 2 was a perfect example of when cut scenes would have been better.nutcrackr
HL2 is widely regarded as a sublime game because of how it treats the player. You underestimate the impact of leaving the player in control of a situation as events unfold. Take an example in HL2: Episode 1. When underground in the dark, Alyx makes a zombie sound from behind, you turn around gun ready and she laughs at you. A cut scene will struggle to reproduce that.

Its so awesome it borders Magic. The E3 Demo for Bioshock Infinite was similar. When Elizabeth calls for your attention to show you something cool, she waits (temporarily) for you to face her before reacting. Imagine how difficult it was planning these types of scenarios. . . .
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
As for storytelling, it is simple to do via gameplay. How did games like the original Final Fantasy or the original Metal Gear (NES) tell a story without them? There was very limited use of cutscenes, if any, in early games like these, so why are they praised like they are for having such good stories? Because they were able to do so without the cutscenes and CGI that modern games flaunt like excess cleavage.

Much like cleavage, it can be tastefully done, but when it crosses a certain line, you are just a slut. :cool:Qraziguy

This is a good point, but I'd just like to point something out. Games can deliver good stories with or without cut scenes, but whether or not it would have been BETTER delivered with or without cut scenes is pure speculation. One can say "this game would have been better with no cut scenes" or "this game would have been better if it had cut scenes", but that's pure guessing. No one can know, because no one got to see the comparison. It's like if you show someone a photo you took, and that person says "great picture, but it would've been better if the dude wasn't wearing his hat." How the hell would he know? YOU saw the guy without his hat, the critic DIDN'T. You as the creator have a point of comparison to work from, the other guy DOESN'T. Oh, sure it's valid for him to say "the hat isn't really working", but that's very different than saying "this would have been better with no hat." Same thing with cutscenes. I can look at something like Metal Gear Solid 4 and say that the cut scenes aren't working. But saying that it shouldn't have had cutscenes is BS. If the story had been delivered purely through gameplay, then for all I know that might not have worked either. Ultimately, all we can do is comment on what is presented to us. If it works, it works. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. But I think we'll find examples of good and bad storytelling (relatively speaking), in games with cut scenes AND in games without them. Just because it worked in a certain case doesn't mean that it would have worked in a different case.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]There is time that stories are told better when it is not interactive. Half-Life 2 was a perfect example of when cut scenes would have been better.nutcrackr

Yet, I would not call that as part of the story.

Half-life 2 show there are a number of things you can not do with interactive. It seem that many are overestimating what can be done with interactive elements.

I have not seen a game that tell the plot points through interactive element.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lulekani
[QUOTE="Qraziguy"]As for storytelling, it is simple to do via gameplay. How did games like the original Final Fantasy or the original Metal Gear (NES) tell a story without them? There was very limited use of cutscenes, if any, in early games like these, so why are they praised like they are for having such good stories? Because they were able to do so without the cutscenes and CGI that modern games flaunt like excess cleavage.

Much like cleavage, it can be tastefully done, but when it crosses a certain line, you are just a slut. :cool:MrGeezer

This is a good point, but I'd just like to point something out. Games can deliver good stories with or without cut scenes, but whether or not it would have been BETTER delivered with or without cut scenes is pure speculation. One can say "this game would have been better with no cut scenes" or "this game would have been better if it had cut scenes", but that's pure guessing. No one can know, because no one got to see the comparison. It's like if you show someone a photo you took, and that person says "great picture, but it would've been better if the dude wasn't wearing his hat." How the hell would he know? YOU saw the guy without his hat, the critic DIDN'T. You as the creator have a point of comparison to work from, the other guy DOESN'T. Oh, sure it's valid for him to say "the hat isn't really working", but that's very different than saying "this would have been better with no hat." Same thing with cutscenes. I can look at something like Metal Gear Solid 4 and say that the cut scenes aren't working. But saying that it shouldn't have had cutscenes is BS. If the story had been delivered purely through gameplay, then for all I know that might not have worked either. Ultimately, all we can do is comment on what is presented to us. If it works, it works. If it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. But I think we'll find examples of good and bad storytelling (relatively speaking), in games with cut scenes AND in games without them. Just because it worked in a certain case doesn't mean that it would have worked in a different case.

Thats Totaly true. But what if we change the criteria just alil bit, what if storytelling is no longer a dominating factor for reviewing a video game ? Would that be alright with you if we judged MGS 4 by Interaction 1st and narrative 2nd ?
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Lulekani

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"][QUOTE="wiouds"]There is time that stories are told better when it is not interactive. Half-Life 2 was a perfect example of when cut scenes would have been better.wiouds

Half-life 2 show there are a number of things you can not do with interactive. It seem that many are overestimating what can be done with interactive elements.

Then Play More Games, but this time go for something without cutscenes.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#65 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

Max Payne 3 has some pain in the but cheeks cut secenes

CUDGEdave

Only when you're replaying the game. Your first time through the cutscenes are absolutely fantastic, and they're a great example of how cutscenes should be done. It's only when replaying the game the problems arise. The cutscenes are great the first time, but you don't want to see them when you replay it. Often the cutscenes in MP3 take ages before you're allowed to skip them. But to be fair there wasn't any way around that considering the game didn't have any load screens. Load times were simply masked by the cutscenes.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="nutcrackr"] HL2 is widely regarded as a sublime game because of how it treats the player. You underestimate the impact of leaving the player in control of a situation as events unfold. Take an example in HL2: Episode 1. When underground in the dark, Alyx makes a zombie sound from behind, you turn around gun ready and she laughs at you. A cut scene will struggle to reproduce that. Lulekani

I have and still have not found a decent story told through the game play.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#67 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I like custscenes, and they have been around for decades.. Dune 2, Warcraft 2, C&C.. all the old classic PC games had cut scenes. Dune 2 had them, and that was before the CD ROM era.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69097 Posts

Square Enix is so good at cut scenes that they actualy took the time to make 2 animated Films. Infact the top Japanese Studios specialize in animation.Lulekani

Square Enix is totally incapable of making good cutscenes and I am not refering to prettiness but the ability to create an engaging story with their cutscenes.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
Its kinda sad on how many games follow the "cinematic button awesome" experience now days. Start game with cutscene. Walk for a few min and throw in some trash creatures that you hit or shoot (and they explode ofc). Then you get a cutscene. Walk for a min or so... Cutscene. Kill a few more evil enemies. Cut scene... Yeah... Why its like this i have no idea i cant see how anyone enjoy being interupted every few min to watch something that is most of the time pointless.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Pedro

Its kinda sad on how many games follow the "cinematic button awesome" experience now days. Start game with cutscene. Walk for a few min and throw in some trash creatures that you hit or shoot (and they explode ofc). Then you get a cutscene. Walk for a min or so... Cutscene. Kill a few more evil enemies. Cut scene... Yeah... Why its like this i have no idea i cant see how anyone enjoy being interupted every few min to watch something that is most of the time pointless.KalDurenik

I don't get it either. The reason I play games is because I can interact. The moment the a cutscene comes in it becomes passive and defeats the purpose of me playing the game. Now a few cutscenes are fine but, now it has become so cutscene heavy that interactivity is now severely hindered.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 wiouds

If the games developer want to have a story than they will need remove control from the player. I want those momment to be the best they can be. I hate when they are done poorly like half-life 2.

bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#72 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

When they play for 30+ minutes *cough Metal Gear Solid cough*

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

[QUOTE="Lulekani"]Square Enix is so good at cut scenes that they actualy took the time to make 2 animated Films. Infact the top Japanese Studios specialize in animation.Pedro

Square Enix is totally incapable of making good cutscenes and I am not refering to prettiness but the ability to create an engaging story with their cutscenes.

I find them very engaging myself and find them very compelling storywise.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

wiouds

Then Play Even More Games, but this time go out of your comfort zone (please note any games you did not complete dont count)
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] Then Play More Games, but this time go for something without cutscenes.Lulekani

Then Play Even More Games, but this time go out of your comfort zone (please note any games you did not complete dont count)

I played JRPG, WRPG, Action RPG, Shooters, RTS, 4X, tatical, plateforming and more more. I have yet to see it.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I dont mind the cutscenes.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Lulekani

wiouds

I played JRPG, WRPG, Action RPG, Shooters, RTS, 4X, tatical, plateforming and more more. I have yet to see it.

Great we're caught in a loop. Okay its like this - until you play everysingle game ever made then its cool. Until that day comes, keep looking. And on a side note: RPG's SUCK @SS !
zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

I don't know, I think cutscenes in games are alright. I think it adds to the experience but a lot of games have bad writing/story/voiceacting so the cutscenes are kinda terrible.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Lulekani

I don't know, I think cutscenes in games are alright. I think it adds to the experience but a lot of games have bad writing/story/voiceacting so the cutscenes are kinda terrible.

zombehhhhh
Okay. But lets put aside the quality of cutscenes and review the concept using one question: Would you rather sit back and be told the story or would you rather step up and unravel a story by playing ? (no pressure, theres no wrong answer).
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 wiouds

[QUOTE="zombehhhhh"]

Lulekani

Okay. But lets put aside the quality of cutscenes and review the concept using one question: Would you rather sit back and be told the story or would you rather step up and unravel a story by playing ? (no pressure, theres no wrong answer).

Can you unravel a story by playing? I do not think you can. You can have events while playing games, but I do believe that events are apart of the overall story.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Pedro

I find them very engaging myself and find them very compelling storywise.Archangel3371

What is so compelling or engaging with their stories? The voice acting and dialogue is unatural. The animation is corny and over the top. And their ability to tell a clear concise story is totally removed. XIII had so much storytelling but nothing was actually being told. A bit odd and ironic at the same time.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 wiouds

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]I find them very engaging myself and find them very compelling storywise.Pedro

What is so compelling or engaging with their stories? The voice acting and dialogue is unatural. The animation is corny and over the top. And their ability to tell a clear concise story is totally removed. XIII had so much storytelling but nothing was actually being told. A bit odd and ironic at the same time.

I found FFXIII told a good story through the cutscene that they could not within the game.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Lulekani"][QUOTE="zombehhhhh"]

wiouds

Can you unravel a story by playing? I do not think you can. You can have events while playing games, but I do believe that events are apart of the overall story.

Given the state of video games today, you right. How about this - Storytelling(cut scenes) and Interaction (gameplay), both can be described as an "Experience", I gues the real question is which type of "experience" has more intrinsic value in a game's plot ?
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Lulekani

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]I find them very engaging myself and find them very compelling storywise.wiouds

I found FFXIII told a good story through the cutscene that they could not within the game.

Did you watch the Final Fantasy Films ("Spirit Within" & "VII Advent Children") ?
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] Okay. But lets put aside the quality of cutscenes and review the concept using one question: Would you rather sit back and be told the story or would you rather step up and unravel a story by playing ? (no pressure, theres no wrong answer).Lulekani

Given the state of video games today, you right. How about this - Storytelling(cut scenes) and Interaction (gameplay), both can be described as an "Experience", I gues the real question is which type of "experience" has more intrinsic value in a game's plot ?

The story have more vlaue to the game's plot.

The gameplay has nothing to do with the game's plot. That is a reason a person can replay a game that he/she already now the game's plot. You can have game play without the game having a plot.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]I find them very engaging myself and find them very compelling storywise.Pedro

I find the stories themselves to be compelling and engaging and many of the characters in their games as well. I think that the voice acting in their games is very well done and the dialog is pretty good as well. That's not to say that there aren't perhaps some moments of awkwardness in a character or bit of dialog here or there but for the vast majority of their work I find it to be quite good. Personally I found Final Fantasy XIII storytelling to be quite good and interesting along with a large portion of the cast to be interesting. I can't think of any particular cutscenes in their games where I felt the animation was corny and over the top or at least to the point where I would consider it as a negative.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

Lulekani

Did you watch the Final Fantasy Films ("Spirit Within" & "VII Advent Children") ?

Seen them but I enjoy FFXIII's story much more.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Lulekani

wiouds

The story have more vlaue to the game's plot.

The gameplay has nothing to do with the game's plot. That is a reason a person can replay a game that he/she already now the game's plot. You can have game play without the game having a plot.

Hmmm, I gues theres nothing else to say.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Lulekani

wiouds

Lovely ! So would you rather play FFXIII or watch a movie version of it ?
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#90 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I can't imagine a game like Ni no Kuni without cutscenes. In fact, I wish there was more of them.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] Did you watch the Final Fantasy Films ("Spirit Within" & "VII Advent Children") ?Lulekani

I like the story since I watch a let's play of it and I enjoy the combat. Why does this matters?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#92 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Lol people actually complaining about cutscenes, sometimes it sickens me to be a gamer.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

i love them, i love the story part of games so i enjoy the cutscenes, games where you are mindlessly killing the whole game are boring

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#94 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Without cutscenes, pretty much every game would be poor. I want to have a story in a game, not skip through them for the gameplay. They're not out of hand.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Lulekani

wiouds

I like the story since I watch a let's play of it and I enjoy the combat. Why does this matters?

It doesnt matter. I just like probing the issue. And from my gues, you didnt purchase Final Fantasy for the gameplay.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Lulekani"] Lovely ! So would you rather play FFXIII or watch a movie version of it ?Lulekani

It doesnt matter. I just like probing the issue. And from my gues, you didnt purchase Final Fantasy for the gameplay.

If it played like FFXII then I would not have bought it. I changed my mind after watching a clip of combat. I love JRPG combat and will replay them again. In fact FF9 is my most replayed game.

Ido not believe you can tell a story through game play. I think cutscene are the best way have the more complex moments of a game's story.

Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Lulekani

wiouds

If it played like FFXII then I would not have bought it. I changed my mind after watching a clip of combat. I love JRPG combat and will replay them again. In fact FF9 is my most replayed game.

Ido not believe you can tell a story through game play. I think cutscene are the best way have the more complex moments of a game's story.

So FF IX is the only game you replayed for the sake of gameplay ? Need help deciding ?
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
If the cutscene is good, I'll watch it. Doesn't matter how long it is. But they can be really annoying if they can't be skipped.
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

It all started with one of the Metal Gear games. I think there was more cut scene time than gameplay in MGS4 :P

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
final fantasy 8 .... cannot skip cutsscence