What's the hardest Final Fantasy game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GSJones1994 (318 posts) -

Hey everyone, just asking all of you what you think is the hardest Final Fantasy game. I'm having a tough time with VII as I started a 4th file on that game because I screwed up the first three times trying to beat the game. Well, that's my piece on it, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

#2 Posted by Admiral-lemnant (150 posts) -

Hey everyone, just asking all of you what you think is the hardest Final Fantasy game. I'm having a tough time with VII as I started a 4th file on that game because I screwed up the first three times trying to beat the game. Well, that's my piece on it, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

GSJones1994
Main:2 Spin-off: Crystal Chronicles
#3 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

Final Fantasy II.

#4 Posted by Admiral-lemnant (150 posts) -

Final Fantasy II.

Blueresident87
Also the most nauseating and screen breaking with controllering. Also causes IQ dropping and brain damage. and makes completely no sense.
#5 Posted by Suikojin (333 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics. But if you want it out of the main line of games then I would say Final Fantasy II also.

#6 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -
VIII, too many bosses, junction system was confusing which caused me to spam GF constantly until I ran into a wall on disk 4 and had to start all the way over.
#7 Posted by Jag85 (4365 posts) -

Final Fantasy II.

Blueresident87
This. Final Fantasy II takes the cake, quite easily.
#8 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Final Fantasy 2 (which I'm actually replaying at the moment)

The main installments of Final Fantasy are generally easy, the series has never been highlighted for being difficult or complex.

Now if you really want a difficult JRPG check out The 7th Saga, couldn't bother myself to finish it.

#9 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Answer is FF 2 due to terrible gameplay mechanics.

My other answer is FF 4 on the DS.  That game can be rather unforgiving at times.  Too bad the majority of FF games are pretty much a cakewalk.

If you're looking for difficult JRPG's I'd recommend the Shin Megami Tensei series, specifically Nocturne.  Currently on a hard mode playthrough and just about everything can and will kick your ass.

Final Fantasy Tactics is weird.  It starts out hard, and a little grindy, but then becomes a complete cakewalk, which was disappointing.

#10 Posted by TheLoneMortal (818 posts) -

Yep, it's 2 for me as well, but it is due to its poor design. FF Tactics put you in some crazy fights too(Belias/Velius...). Other than those 2, the other games never gave me much trouble, though I could name a few notable challenges in a couple of other titles.

#11 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

VIII, too many bosses, junction system was confusing which caused me to spam GF constantly until I ran into a wall on disk 4 and had to start all the way over.LittleMac19

The junction system in FF VIII can be exploited rather simply to make it one of the easiest Final Fantasy games.

#12 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Final Fantasy II isn't hard, it's broken.

#13 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

logicalfrank

No it isn't broken, it isn't impossible as it can be completed. So it isn't broken.

#14 Posted by Admiral-lemnant (150 posts) -

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Blueresident87

No it isn't broken, it isn't impossible as it can be completed. So it isn't broken.

The leveling system is broken. I understand what they were trying to do with the level up system by what you do, but they clearly did not do that at all. The level system barely makes you stronger than the first enemies of the game toward the end, nor does the level system in anyway help you run from battle, which you still have issues running from the first enemies in the game. Not to mention the only way to max out a characters defense is dying.
#15 Posted by Cloud_765 (111391 posts) -
I haven't played II. D: Of all the ones I've played, either Tactics or III (DS). I don't even know to this day how I even beat the Cloud of Darkness.
#16 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

I haven't played II. D: Of all the ones I've played, either Tactics or III (DS). I don't even know to this day how I even beat the Cloud of Darkness. Cloud_765

You lucky devil.

#17 Posted by BigBen11111 (1528 posts) -

Well, I could never beat FFIV, but I did had lot's of fun with it though.

#18 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

final fantasy 1 on nes.

#19 Posted by kljohns2 (398 posts) -

Final Fantasy XI is by far the hardest!!! I'm still trying to beat the game!! It just keeps going and going! :lol:

#20 Posted by Jag85 (4365 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cloud_765"]I haven't played II. D: Of all the ones I've played, either Tactics or III (DS). I don't even know to this day how I even beat the Cloud of Darkness. MLBknights58

You lucky devil.

Nice to know Cloud saved himself from the painful torture of II.
#21 Posted by Valknut4 (392 posts) -

final fantasy 1 on nes.

CaptainGamespot

Marsh cave, I assume FFII on Nes is harder, but that never came to north america. Remakes of any FF game are really easy. If you really want a challenge go get the Final Fantasy Hacktics fan remake for the PSP an play it. 

#22 Posted by Cloud_765 (111391 posts) -

You lucky devil.

MLBknights58
I've heard it's a step backwards from the first game gameplay-wise to say the least...
#23 Posted by Jag85 (4365 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

You lucky devil.

Cloud_765

I've heard it's a step backwards from the first game gameplay-wise to say the least...

Actually, FFII was a huge step forward from the first game in terms of both story and gameplay... The real problem is that FFII's gameplay is a step forward in the wrong direction. In other words, it's failed innovation, kind of like FFVIII's draw system but to a more catastrophic level.

Nevertheless, some of the other things that FFII did introduce to the series were a step in the right direction, such as MP magic points, the character Cid, the iconic Chocobo, the now standard rebels vs empire storyline, individual characters, a betrayal twist, etc. The adventure game like keyward-based dialogue conversation system was also an interesting innovation, but unfortunately that didn't carry over to later FF games.

FFII's biggest innovation, however, is the activity-based progression/levelling system, which is an almost revolutionary idea in theory: replacing levels with invidual stats that increase based on how often you make use of each one. However, this was also the game's biggest flaw, with its poor implementation making the game incredibly tedious and almost broken. Nevertheless, FFII laid the foundations for the SaGa series (and to an extent, Grandia's levelling system), so something good did eventually come out of this experiment.

#24 Posted by NodakJo2010 (1060 posts) -

Now when people say FFII do they mean the GBA/PS1 remake or the original NES?

Because...I dunno II is one of my favorite games of all time. Of course I could be really weird...Dual Wielding plays a big role to boost your physical attack and your HP, and I liked the leveling system...yeah I guess I'm crazy.

To me the hardest is 3.

#25 Posted by Jag85 (4365 posts) -

Because...I dunno II is one of my favorite games of all time. Of course I could be really weird...Dual Wielding plays a big role to boost your physical attack and your HP, and I liked the leveling system...yeah I guess I'm crazy.

To me the hardest is 3.

NodakJo2010

Not sure about the others, but I'm referring to the original NES version. I haven't played the remakes enough to find out whether they suffer from the same issues that plagued the NES original. There are some parts of the game that are almost impossible to get past because of how broken the game is. Maybe they might have fixed some of these issues in the remakes?

#26 Posted by Seabas989 (10097 posts) -

Probably one of the NES ones. The ones I played were not that difficult.

#27 Posted by dbz987 (3717 posts) -

I found Final Fantasy VI on the PS1 really difficult especially when i was  on the Floating Continent. It felt like the enemies jumped about 10 levels and I suddenly became undeleveled

#28 Posted by mark552495786 (78 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics. But if you want it out of the main line of games then I would say Final Fantasy II also.

#29 Posted by GreySeal9 (24054 posts) -

I found Final Fantasy VI on the PS1 really difficult especially when i was  on the Floating Continent. It felt like the enemies jumped about 10 levels and I suddenly became undeleveled

dbz987

That's one of the few problems with FFVI: the game is extremely easy for a good while and then all of a sudden the difficulty spikes severely. But only in certain parts of the game. The game is fairly easy overall.

#30 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="dbz987"]

GreySeal9

That's one of the few problems with FFVI: the game is extremely easy for a good while and then all of a sudden the difficulty spikes severely. But only in certain parts of the game. The game is fairly easy overall.

I'd say VI has the most broken combat system after VIII.  With VIII, you had to put a little bit of effort into making your characters godlike on the first disc and onward, but with VI you don't even need the attack command.  Sabin's blitz, Edgar's tools, Shadow's throw command and others make it so you can effortlessly plow through the entire game without even a remote thought of what you're doing.  Completely overpowered.

#31 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="dbz987"]

I found Final Fantasy VI on the PS1 really difficult especially when i was on the Floating Continent. It felt like the enemies jumped about 10 levels and I suddenly became undeleveled

MLBknights58

I'd say VI has the most broken combat system after VIII. With VIII, you had to put a little bit of effort into making your characters godlike on the first disc and onward, but with VI you don't even need the attack command. Sabin's blitz, Edgar's tools, Shadow's throw command and others make it so you can effortlessly plow through the entire game without even a remote thought of what you're doing. Completely overpowered.

That is true, but there are also weapons that can be found and accessories to pair them with that make the normal Attack option worthwhile.

#32 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

Blueresident87

I'd say VI has the most broken combat system after VIII. With VIII, you had to put a little bit of effort into making your characters godlike on the first disc and onward, but with VI you don't even need the attack command. Sabin's blitz, Edgar's tools, Shadow's throw command and others make it so you can effortlessly plow through the entire game without even a remote thought of what you're doing. Completely overpowered.

That is true, but there are also weapons that can be found and accessories to pair them with that make the normal Attack option worthwhile.

This is absolutely true, but serves to further my point.  For example, the Offering relic.  I know a popular combination with this is the Genji Glove, allowing for 8 attacks per turn.  I mean, what?  And then there's the Jump trick, but I can't remember the specifics.

#33 Posted by NodakJo2010 (1060 posts) -

[QUOTE="NodakJo2010"]

To me the hardest is 3.

Jag85

Not sure about the others, but I'm referring to the original NES version. I haven't played the remakes enough to find out whether they suffer from the same issues that plagued the NES original. There are some parts of the game that are almost impossible to get past because of how broken the game is. Maybe they might have fixed some of these issues in the remakes?

I have not played the original NES...but I would guess that a lot of the mechanics were fixed in the remakes. I mean...yes it is still broken in a sense where you could actually overlevel your characters really really quickly, but overleveling never made the game nearly impossible lol, and even then the remade game usually does a good job of catching up to you if you do that. Not to the point of being impossible, but there were a couple of standard challenging bossfights throughout the game.

#34 Posted by King9999 (11835 posts) -

The very first game.

#35 Posted by tab134 (345 posts) -
ff3 in my book, its probably the only one that made me legitimately pissed off. mainly long multilevel dungeons with no checkpoints[the lava one comes to mind], the difficulty spikes so you have to abruptly grind just to progress the game. i also spent a lot of time wondering where the hell to go next. although it's generally ignored because its a mmo, ff11 was pretty hard back in its early years.
#36 Posted by LJSEXAY (1866 posts) -

Final Fantasy II.

Blueresident87
I would agree...
#37 Posted by FFCYAN (4925 posts) -

FF I and FFII. I never got far in either. Tactics is ridiculously hard at times and easy other times. Mostly though, the bosses are just cheap.

#38 Posted by Jag85 (4365 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="NodakJo2010"]

To me the hardest is 3.

NodakJo2010

I have not played the original NES...but I would guess that a lot of the mechanics were fixed in the remakes. I mean...yes it is still broken in a sense where you could actually overlevel your characters really really quickly, but overleveling never made the game nearly impossible lol, and even then the remade game usually does a good job of catching up to you if you do that. Not to the point of being impossible, but there were a couple of standard challenging bossfights throughout the game.

Over-leveling? I don't remember any such thing in the NES original. If that's a new feature in the remakes, then that probably might balance out the difficulty somewhat.
#39 Posted by NodakJo2010 (1060 posts) -

[QUOTE="NodakJo2010"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Not sure about the others, but I'm referring to the original NES version. I haven't played the remakes enough to find out whether they suffer from the same issues that plagued the NES original. There are some parts of the game that are almost impossible to get past because of how broken the game is. Maybe they might have fixed some of these issues in the remakes?

Jag85

Over-leveling? I don't remember any such thing in the NES original. If that's a new feature in the remakes, then that probably might balance out the difficulty somewhat.

If you give your characters crappy equipment and fight against low level enemies...then if you attack yourself you can get a lot of strength, hp, accuracy boosts lol. And no you don't even have to kill yourself lol.

#40 Posted by limpbizkit818 (15034 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Final Fantasy II.

LJSEXAY
I would agree...

The thing about FF2 is that you can attack & heal yourself, making the grinding rather easy later in the game.
#41 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

dbz987
Once you find the dinosaur forest in FFVI the rest of the game becomes ridiculously easy, seriously.
#42 Posted by Jag85 (4365 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="NodakJo2010"]

NodakJo2010

If you give your characters crappy equipment and fight against low level enemies...then if you attack yourself you can get a lot of strength, hp, accuracy boosts lol. And no you don't even have to kill yourself lol.

Ah, the good old friendly fire method. Good to know you get more boosts from it in the remake, since I remember very little of that in the NES original... killing team mates over and over again was probably the only way to get any real boosts.

Anyway, the most difficult part in a non-broken way for me was probably in FFVIII, at the dungeon where I had to fight Omega Weapon. The higher my level was, the harder that dungeon became. It felt like a big accomplishment when I finally conquered that dungeon and beat Omega.