What's the best Capcom game of all time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GSJones1994 (325 posts) -

Capcom, the creators of Resident Evil, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami and many other great games has just turned the big 3-0 this year. I'm going to celebrate Capcom's 30th B-day by having you guys decide which of these 5 games is the best Capcom game ever made. I think that in my opinion, Resident Evil 4, Mega Man 2, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and the original Devil May Cry are the best Capcom games of all time. Which of these do you think is Capcom's finest game?

#2 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

REmake on the Gamecube, hands down. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 gets 2nd place imo

#3 Posted by Heirren (17375 posts) -
Street Fighter 2 Turbo.
#4 Posted by hippiesanta (9901 posts) -
STREET FIGHTER 2, AND 4
#5 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17516 posts) -

Hmmm IDK, probably one of these 3:
Dino Crisis 2

DMC3

Resident Evil 4

#6 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
My favorites are 2 mid-late 1980's arcade games and aren't on the list. After that I have at least 1 favorite NES game by Capcom, also not on the list. My favorite of those on the list is probably Mega Man 2, but just slightly above RE4 and DMC. I have not played Okami or Viewtiful Joe.
#7 Posted by D3dr0_0 (3495 posts) -
Breath of Fire IV
#8 Posted by GreySeal9 (24506 posts) -

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

#9 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

Megaman X3

or Megaman Zero 

#10 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
Darkstalkers 3
#11 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Street Fighter II.

Game did more for the fighting genre than any other game and it's also their best game.

#12 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

depends in what genre , in fighting games, its Street Fighter Alpha 3 , in the survival horror genre, I personally think it was RE3

#13 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

Okami for sure.

#14 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17223 posts) -

Street Fighter 2

#15 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

RE2

#16 Posted by King9999 (11835 posts) -

I think a poll is unnecessary, because Capcom has made so many games for various platforms.  

Street Fighter is obviously one of their best and most-loved franchises.  I hoped that Capcom would've remade SF1 during their SF anniversary.  I think that game deserves a makeover with proper controls, and having the other characters be playable.

Apart from SF, I'm a huge fan of Rival Schools, and I'm still hoping that a new game gets made.  That series has been inactive for over 10 years, but Capcom hasn't forgotten about it completely. 

Capcom made some great brawlers too.  Final Fight is the obvious one, but there are other cool games, like Knights of the Round, their D&D games, Aliens vs. Predator, and many more.

What can I say about Mega Man?  It's one of my favourite franchises.  If I wasn't broke, I'd pick up the Archie Comics version of Mega Man because I hear it's really good.  I own the Megamix & Gigamix manga, as well as the art books that Udon released.  I also have a framed drawing of Cut Man from Hitoshi Ariga that I won from a contest he had at a convention.

Breath of Fire...now there's a series that needs to come back.

I wonder what Capcom's gonna do this year if they're going to celebrate their 30th year of existence at all?

#17 Posted by ram192 (22 posts) -

street fighter 2 turbo

#18 Posted by Legend002 (7220 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. 

#19 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

I'd have to go with Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3, and Mega Man 2, 3, and 9.

#20 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Again, you need an "Other" option on your poll. There's are so many gems from Capcom, no way you could narrow it down to just a few.

Capcom is one of my personal favorite third-party developers. So many good games from them.

Some of my many favorites from Capcom through out the years:

NES:

• 1943: The Battle of Midway
  • Bionic Commando
  • Duck Tales 1 & 2 (One of the best licensed games ever produced, and a shining example of a license done right)
  • Legendary Wings
  • Mega Man 1-6 (Especially #2)

SNES:

• Breath of Fire 1 & 2
  • Final Fight 1-3
  • Knights of the Round
  • Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
  • Mega Man X 1-3
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Genesis:

• The Punisher
  • Strider

PS1:

• Marvel Super Heroes
  • Mega Man X4 & X5
  • Mega Man Legends 1 & 2
  • Resident Evil 1-3
  • Street Fighter Alpha
  • Strider 2

Dreamcast:

• Dino Crisis
  • Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of the Super-Heroes
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3

PS2/Gamecube/XBox:

• Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1 & Vol. 2
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Mega Man Anniversary Collection
  • Mega Man X Collection
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
  • Street Fighter Alpha Anthology
#21 Posted by Canon-Gatorade (149 posts) -
Magic Sword.
#22 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Magic Sword.Canon-Gatorade

Again?

#23 Posted by Canon-Gatorade (149 posts) -

[QUOTE="Canon-Gatorade"]Magic Sword.Emerald_Warrior

Again?

What's wrong with Magic Sword?
#24 Posted by Canon-Gatorade (149 posts) -

Again?

What's wrong with Magic Sword?
#25 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

Again?

Let's try to not derail any threads this time. We should just warn a mod to keep an eye around here for while. Mailer or Allicrombie are usually around, so probably one of them would be best.
#26 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

I didn't vote because my options weren't there.

Mega Man 4 and Resident Evil 2

#27 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

dragons dogma

#28 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Oracle of Ages for Game Boy Color. I almost feel like I'm putting this response in the wrong thread but it was developed by Capcom.

#29 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -
I didn't like RE4 so I choose Okami. My first choice though isn't on that list: Resident Evil 3 Nemesis.
#30 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

Depending on genre, my favourites are:

• Action-Adventure  -  Okami
  • Beat 'Em Up  -  Final Fight 
  • Fighting  -  Tatsunoko vs Capcom
  • Hack & Slash  -  Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
  • Survival Horror  - Resident Evil 2
  • Platformer  -  Viewtiful Joe
  • RPG  -  Breath of Fire III
  • Shooter  -  Resident Evil 4
#31 Posted by dbz987 (3717 posts) -

Street Fighter II and MegaMan X

#32 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

Ducktales

#33 Posted by benleslie5 (7878 posts) -

Devil May Cry 3

#36 Posted by Nintendofan368 (3 posts) -
My favorite capcom games of al time are okami. okamiden megaman 2. megaman 3. megaman 8. megaman legends. street fighter 2. megaman X
#37 Posted by hurriflash (643 posts) -

resident evil, anyone? All rest produced is just a step under, there wasn't devil may cry either

street fighter in 90s is a title to remember too

#38 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -

REmake on the Gamecube, hands down. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 gets 2nd place imo

Shenmue_Jehuty
I would agree. RE0 and the RE remake on the GameCube are outstanding! Now my other favorite would be Code Veronica. I would put that above MVC2, but just barely. The Powerstone series are sooooo good also.
#39 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

Capcom has a lot of amazing games. But my favorites are the Devil May Cry series and Viewtiful Joe series.

#40 Posted by Yama (34101 posts) -

I honestly feel like Biohazard Rebirth is the best overall example of the series. That's my vote.

#41 Posted by riou7 (10833 posts) -

Resident evil 4 :)

#42 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8041 posts) -
Breath of Fire III/IV, Demon's Crest, Mega Man 2, X, X4, REmake, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 4 are many of my favorites. I really like a lot of Capcom games.

Oracle of Ages for Game Boy Color. I almost feel like I'm putting this response in the wrong thread but it was developed by Capcom.

logicalfrank
Oracle of Ages/Seasons are great games, I almost never think of them for Capcom threads. XD
#43 Posted by Megavideogamer (5441 posts) -

Ghosts N' goblins, Ghost N' ghouls, Super Ghost N' Goblins, Ulimate Ghost N' Goblins. This is my pick for a Capcom series that is the greatest.

But from the choice provided the MegaMan series is the best.

#44 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Breath of Fire III/IV, Demon's Crest, Mega Man 2, X, X4, REmake, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 4 are many of my favorites. I really like a lot of Capcom games. [QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Eikichi-Onizuka

Oracle of Ages/Seasons are great games, I almost never think of them for Capcom threads. XD

The hardest puzzles in the series are in those. So many parts I got stuck on. Kind of put those particular games low on the Zelda list, for me. But still great games compared to most.

#45 Posted by Articuno76 (18873 posts) -
I'm seriously the only person who picked Viewtiful Joe. Ahaha.
#46 Posted by Articuno76 (18873 posts) -

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]Breath of Fire III/IV, Demon's Crest, Mega Man 2, X, X4, REmake, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 4 are many of my favorites. I really like a lot of Capcom games. [QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Emerald_Warrior

The hardest puzzles in the series are in those. So many parts I got stuck on. Kind of put those particular games low on the Zelda list, for me. But still great games compared to most.

Come to think of it wasn't The Minish Cap also made by Capcom? I loved that game (my favourite 2D Zelda to date).
#47 Posted by Quofan (1606 posts) -

For me it has to be a toss up between Mega Man 2 and Resident Evil 3. To be honest, Mega Man 4 had more refined gameplay and looked a bit slicker, but the design of the Robot Masters began to gradually decline from 4 onwards. For 5 and 6 it was like they weren't even trying any more. There is a nostalgia element to it too, admittedly.

As for Resident Evil....tempted to go ith the REmake for GC, the graphics in that game really showed what the 'cube was capable of. Even now in the HD generation I am impressed with it's technical prowess, seems like only a few companies bothered to get the best out of it. Certainly poops all over the PS2's graphics by comparison, as does the Xbox. Adding Crimson Heads and reworking the game made it feel new again (so much so I went back to the original and got very confused) and probably the creepiest Resident Evil game.

Having said that, I can't look beyond RE3 - the live selection gave me a reason to play through the game multiple times, Nemesis induced a lingering fear that only Regenerators and Crimson Heads can match and there were so many gameplay innovations over 1 & 2 - many of which were bizarrely dropped then replaced with a lacklustre item dropping system in RE0. Auto-aim was kept, as was quick turns, but mixing ammo (cold rounds were utter beast!), rewards for defeating the Big Bad, live selection, a coherent story that fits well with previous games (rare for an RE game from 4 onwards), explosive barrels/fire boxes, a superb mercs mode and a ton of extras.

Resident Evil 4 was an excellent game in it's own right, but just didn't feel like a Resident Evil game. It only creeped me out in the bits with Regenerators, and most of your time seemed to be spent shotgunning herds and shooting pistols at shining lights for goodies. No more creepy camera angles, no more tense door opening sequences or confined spaces. Near limitless ammo, less clunky movement. It's been on a downward slide ever since. Watching the slow, sad decline of RE as a pioneer of the survival horror genre into a muddled mish mash of action minigames with vague horror themes is like watching an elderly family member slip into dementia to the point where it's not just forgotten it's own relatives - it can't even remember it's own identity. Depressing.

#48 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"] Oracle of Ages/Seasons are great games, I almost never think of them for Capcom threads. XDArticuno76

Come to think of it wasn't The Minish Cap also made by Capcom? I loved that game (my favourite 2D Zelda to date).

I liked that one A LOT more than the Oracle games. Not that the Oracle games are bad by any means, like I said, just not my favorite Zelda entries.

#49 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

I chose RE4 from those choices, but that's only because you didn't have RE2 as an option.

I thought the idea and implementation behind Dead Rising was tremendous, but those games never reached the amount of potential they have and have always felt just a little too raw.