Whats so nice about it anyway?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WARQQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WARQQ
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
The hype around the Halo series is huge, but to tell the truth I really don't know what you Halo fans see in the game. I played Halo a few years back and still remember shooting aliens which resembled giant mutated turtles, I havn't touched the game since, but thats just me. But I guess we all have different tastes, even though some peoples tastes are better than others... ;p (Half life ;))
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Really, what is it about Halo? Every franchise has it's haters, but they're never so vocal as the Halo hating crowd.
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

It's just like anything that gets over popular. The bigger the fanbase gets, the more people that dislike the game are going to come out of the wood works and voice their opinion on it. Although Halo wasn't the first of it's kind in the particular genre, it hit the gaming audience with full force.

The video games, mostly Halo: Combat Evolved, have been praised as being the best, and most influential, first person shooters on a console, with Halo being the Xbox's "Killer App". It even led to the term "Halo Killer" being used to describe console games that aspire to be better then Halo. Then, Halo 2 broke sales recordsfor a media release, and then Halo 3 sold more than $170 million worth of copies in its first 24 hours of release, topping the records of Halo 2. As of this month, the Halo games combines have sold more than 20 million copies. So, I guess there is a pretty big fan base that is backing them.

As for myself, from what I've collected in just watching the game as it grew was the fact that the multiplayer maps were just awesome, you could never deny a single map on them saying that, it isn't all that fun for a competitive match between friends or it was lacking a certain something. That, and the fact that anyone could pick up the controls to the game in a few minutes and have fun with it for hours. I believe those are 2 big reasons that the fan base of this series has grown so much, because anyone can enjoy it, even if they aren't a gamer. So Bungie basically hit the best of both worlds. They were able to dummy it down so that anyone could pick up the controller and learn how to play in mere minutes and through all of that, they were still able to have enough skill level required in the same aspects to challenge hardcore gamers that strive to be the best. When a game is able to do both of those and still bring out a game that is really interesting, the sky is the limit from there and that's exactly where Bungie wanted to go with it all.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts

I really don't think most people hate it because of it's popularity. I had high hopes for halo 3 but after playing I really thought it was overhyped. It definitly did not deserve the reviews that it recieved. In my opinion, it's an 8.5 game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
People love lobster. I hate it. Different tastes. Halo is a well done fps. Good enemy AI, good integration of vehicles into the game, good engine, decent graphics, good selection of weapons, fun multiplayer, etc. It's not for everyone. But, if you really want to make a thread bashing it, System Wars may be a better place for that kind of discussion.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i dont know. i spent a decent amount of time on halo3, completing it on heroic and getting officer rank on multiplayer.i really dont know how people play it for years on end. there is nothing major to keep me comming back. a map addon or something wont cut it. i really dont understand it. the game is pretty good and all, just not something i would play for any length of time, and certainly not a game that would get me insanely hyped for its sequels.