What's it take to make a scary game nowadays?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Given all the stuff that we've been exposed to from the media, is it possible to make a genuinely scary game anymore? I haven't checked any scary games recently, but is there something out there that'd make you afraid of being alone in the dark again? If not, what would it take to make a game give you that sort of feeling?
yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts

Atmosphere (including excellent sound and goodgra*phicswith a shock factor. Fatal Frame II does the trick for me, although I haven't played it yet much. It reminds me of Japanese horror movies though.

sephiroth_y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sephiroth_y
Member since 2004 • 1392 Posts

and sound maybe?

Btw, many people don't know a game called Kuon (PS2) which is much scary than Fatal Frame series, have a look!

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I don't know, tough thing to say. I think a game like Condemned did a good job of creating suspense and tension of tryingto survive because you had no guns to fight with but depended on melee attacks.

But I think scary isn't what games do, but I see more disturbing than scary.

-Solid--Snake-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -Solid--Snake-
Member since 2005 • 1521 Posts
From a silent hill developer, he gave a quote saying something like the harder it is to see, the scarier it is....I agree to this 100%
corban321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 corban321
Member since 2004 • 574 Posts

and sound maybe?

sephiroth_y

Yeah, sound is pretty vital.

Heretix_Aevum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heretix_Aevum
Member since 2005 • 4105 Posts

Sound

Atmosphere

Difficulty (try playng DOOM3 in the hardest diffculty)

PS360Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 PS360Fanboy
Member since 2007 • 2096 Posts
If the Dev's just play Resident Evil 2 they will know how to make a scary game, games these days that are supposed to be scary arn't like Condemmed and Jericho, Games arn't has scary has they where back in the old days....
Pythos77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Pythos77
Member since 2005 • 889 Posts

The same elements that go into makeing almost every other game out there today,

High Price, Great Graphics, Lame Story, Old Overused Gameplay, Cliche Characters,5 different dificulty levels, 3 differentalthough uncanily similar endings, Bad level design is a must, If its based off a movie, which in turn isbased off a book (better yet a comic book) its guaranteed to be SCARY.

But if you want your horror game to be Truly scary, You have to add an Online component in which you have to show a valid Credit card number to Play, Exclusive online extras which you have to pay Extra for....like new Maps.....or "Better" weapons.

TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts

Atmosphere. It has to be scaring you out of your pants when nothing is happening. It has to have you on edge the whole time, with few breathers. If you're playing and nothing is happening, it makes it even scarier when something does happen.

For example, System Shock 2. I was creeped out just by walking around.

Avatar image for tmacairjordan87
tmacairjordan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tmacairjordan87
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts
first time playing through condemned was pretty intense. For one you rarely had any guns, and when you did they had about 4 bullets, it has the most amazing sound of any horror game i've played (cracking people in the head with a steel pipe is pure win) and the atmosphere always had me on edge not knowing when stuff was gonna come outta nowhere at me.