whatever happened to cartridges ????

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

say what you want. in my experience with games which i have a good 12 years worth, and for being alive less years than all you i have probably beaten more games than you when you were my age, so i say carts are better but thats my opinion and you are entitled to yours.

give me a disc that doesnt have load time or doesnt get messed up from scratches and i'll make an exception with my opinion

Byshop

I like how you just assume that you know more than everyone in here and have beaten more games (which, by the way, has what to do with this conversation?) than everyone in here. It's easy to assume things when you don't bother trying to find out any facts. Even still, just because you've played some video games that doesn't make you even remotely qualified to tell people in here they are wrong. Some of us actually do this for a living you know, and have been doing it for longer than you've been alive. :lol:

You asked what happened to cartridges. We told you why they aren't in use anymore and backup up our information with facts about the current technology, but it's pretty clear that you aren't really interested in finding out why but all you care about is telling eveyrone else what you think. This is a discussion forum, and that is not discussion.

-Byshop

more or less what I was going to say. although if 12 years is alot of time, and if it actually mattered that much in this case, then I must be a gaming guru , Ive been playing games for 20 years (at least) , nevermind some of the people here who started gaming on the 2600 or NES. though there is one thing I don't understand, sure , CD scratching is a problem , but unless someone uses the CDs as a frisbee, steps on them , scratches them intentionally etc, discs have a long shelf life. now floppy discs, thats a different story, Ive been hearing some of the older 5 1/4 inch discs are already starting to rot in some cases.
#52 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

also i never said i know more than everyone here, obviously i dont if there is anyone older than me here. What i did say is if you were my age i would know more than you in that instance

conkertheking1
lol, what makes you think that? when I was 15, I also had about 12 years od experience playing video games , and I have a feeling the range of games I played from a generational standpoint is probably greater than yours.
#53 Posted by Byshop (11026 posts) -

can you give me a disc that doesnt scratch or have load times???

conkertheking1

Have you even read the responses to your questions?

A) Bluray disks are nigh impossible to scratch. It's technically possible, but the antiscratch coat they use can have steel wool rubbed on it without damage to the disk.

b) Carts have load times too unless the game is very small. Any cart that has a game even remotely the size of a Bluray disk would be much slower than a Bluray disk and MUCH more expensive ($40 for the media for a cart that would actually be SLOWER than the $1 Bluray disk). Even the 3ds with it's relatively tiny and simple games -still- has load times. Same with the Vita. Both are cart based. Load times aren't just a function of the media. They are deteremined by how fast a system is, how much RAM it has, how compressed the game content is on the media, etc.

-Byshop

#54 Posted by Megavideogamer (5274 posts) -

Cartridges lost out to CD ROMs because they cost more to make for the publisher. It was like 67 cents for each CD. While each cart cost developers $3.50 So if your game requires $250,000 unit for launch. that is a big expense for publishers.

Cost killed the Cartridge.

#55 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -

Cartridges lost out to CD ROMs because they cost more to make for the publisher. It was like 67 cents for each CD. While each cart cost developers $3.50 So if your game requires $250,000 unit for launch. that is a big expense for publishers.

Megavideogamer
all cause the corporations want their precious money
#56 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -
[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

conkertheking1

you really hate gaming don't you?
#57 Posted by luckykoopsie (320 posts) -

i thought i was the only one who liked carts more:|

#58 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -
[QUOTE="conkertheking1"][QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

Darkman2007

yeah bro you know everything about me. and how much do you actually play games? it seems you're always on this site following what im doing and taking the opposite position of whatever my opinion is you really hate gaming don't you?

#59 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -
[QUOTE="conkertheking1"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"] all cause the corporations want their precious money

yeah bro you know everything about me. and how much do you actually play games? it seems you're always on this site following what im doing and taking the opposite position of whatever my opinion is you really hate gaming don't you?

lol, naa, Im not a troll , and the reason I will present the opposite opinion is not out of spite, but simply because I find your viewpoint to be utter nonsense. as for wheter I actually play games, sure, just yesterday I played, and completed Monkey Island 2 , which is a great game, Im in the middle of an adventure game marathon , so to speak. so no, using immature accusations at me won't help you much here, although it is occasionally decent comedy.
#60 Posted by WillisTron1 (61 posts) -

say what you want bro but as long as cartridges exist they will be better than discs. no load times no scratches, sure they may be more expensive but i've always been a man of quality. Also i didnt know micro sd cards came in 16 gig form until now so for the size of a GBA game if they wanted they could have halo 4 fit on a GBA cart.

Oh and one more thing the snes whooped genesis's ass thought i might throw that in there cause i know it will just piss you off;)

conkertheking1

I don't fully understand why people like you even visit forums such as this one... I feel like it's general consensus that the point of this forum is to reminisce about consoles and games of old, debate fun topics, and help with questions in a community that shares similar interests. Then, of course, I see posts like this, that seem to have the sole intent of causing a stir; not a friendly debate, but a deliberate attack with the intention of upsetting others. And that's where it really gets sad... you see most people honestly couldn't care less if you say "the snes whooped genesis's ass". The fact that you have the mental capacity of someone who would both use such an arbitrary comment as means of insulting someone, AND sincerely believe this to upset someone, either means you're somewhere in the range of 6 - 12 years-old, or you're incredibly stupid. Forgive me for going off there, but I really don't understand why people like you even bother engaging in conversation sometimes...

#61 Posted by Byshop (11026 posts) -

What i did say is if you were my age i would know more than you in that instance

conkertheking1

Another assumption based on nothing more than the fact that you'd like to believe this is true. When I was 15, I had already been soldering replacement batteries into NES carts and swapping the boards inside them to play jokes on my friends. Even earlier than 15 I was building custom DOS boot floppies for individual games to free up 580k of conventional ram by using an expanded memory manager like Quarterdeck or by then the one that was now being provided with DOS 5.0 and up to load my necessary drivers into expanded memory rather than conventional. I had to manually set environment variables if I wanted to actually hear any sound in the game. I had to change the jumpers on my Sound Blaster to move the IRQ from 7 to 5 because 7 had a conflict with another piece of hardware in my computer. I had to memorize these addresses and tell every single new game that I installed what they were or the game wouldn't work. Hell, when I was 11 I was hacking GW BASIC games to see what I could get away with changing and even writing my own simple question/answer games.

And you assume that 15 year old you knows more than 15 year old me because you figured out which end of the cartridge goes in the console? The sheer amount of crap I had to learn just to get a game to -start- on a PC was enough to lead to my first computer job a year later.

It cracks me up that your generation doesn't even have a clue as to how easy everything has been made for you, and yet you assume that you are geniuses because everything works as though you had something to do with that. :lol:

-Byshop

#62 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

What i did say is if you were my age i would know more than you in that instance

Byshop

Another assumption based on nothing more than the fact that you'd like to believe this is true. When I was 15, I had already been soldering replacement batteries into NES carts and swapping the boards inside them to play jokes on my friends. Even earlier than 15 I was building custom DOS boot floppies for individual games to free up 580k of conventional ram by using an expanded memory manager like Quarterdeck or by then the one that was now being provided with DOS 5.0 and up to load my necessary drivers into expanded memory rather than conventional. I had to manually set environment variables if I wanted to actually hear any sound in the game. I had to change the jumpers on my Sound Blaster to move the IRQ from 7 to 5 because 7 had a conflict with another piece of hardware in my computer. I had to memorize these addresses and tell every single new game that I installed what they were or the game wouldn't work. Hell, when I was 11 I was hacking GW BASIC games to see what I could get away with changing and even writing my own simple question/answer games.

And you assume that 15 year old you knows more than 15 year old me because you figured out which end of the cartridge goes in the console? The sheer amount of crap I had to learn just to get a game to -start- on a PC was enough to lead to my first computer job a year later.

It cracks me up that your generation doesn't even have a clue as to how easy everything has been made for you, and yet you assume that you are geniuses because everything works as though you had something to do with that. :lol:

-Byshop

you were soldering at the age of 15? thats not bad, I still can't do that due to some pretty unsteady hands. I did more or less build my own PC by that age though (needed help with the CPU) and yes, DOS was an absolute pain , great games, but it was a pain.
#63 Posted by WillisTron1 (61 posts) -

say what you want. in my experience with games which i have a good 12 years worth, and for being alive less years than all you i have probably beaten more games than you when you were my age, so i say carts are better but thats my opinion and you are entitled to yours.

give me a disc that doesnt have load time or doesnt get messed up from scratches and i'll make an exception with my opinion

conkertheking1
So I just read you're 15, I suppose that clears it up a little bit... but still I have to say; you're extremely arrogant and rude, and honestly I believe this to be a compensation for your lack of a back bone in real life. I realize I'm grasping at straws at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised. Even though you're on the internet, try to be kind and respectful just like you would in real life, okay? You'll find life in much more enjoyable that way, what with people actually willing to help you and be kind, rather than see you as a rude little arrogant child. Chin up there young one.
#64 Posted by Byshop (11026 posts) -

you were soldering at the age of 15? thats not bad, I still can't do that due to some pretty unsteady hands. I did more or less build my own PC by that age though (needed help with the CPU) and yes, DOS was an absolute pain , great games, but it was a pain.Darkman2007

Wing Commander and Ultima 7 were all awesome games in that era. Ultima 7 was so complex it created its own boot disk with its own memory manager. I had Creative Labs Sound Blaster by the time Wing Commander came out and when we finally got a 486DX a year later I swapped in the new motherboard myself. Computers were in some ways much simpler to work on in those days and in other ways much more complex.

I wasn't an expert by any stretch, but I could do simple solder jobs that didn't require fine detail like batteries. These days I build stuff like this:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/6332_114352573264_6849251_n.jpg

-Byshop

#65 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]you were soldering at the age of 15? thats not bad, I still can't do that due to some pretty unsteady hands. I did more or less build my own PC by that age though (needed help with the CPU) and yes, DOS was an absolute pain , great games, but it was a pain.Byshop

Wing Commander and Ultima 7 were all awesome games in that era. Ultima 7 was so complex it created its own boot disk with its own memory manager. I had Creative Labs Sound Blaster by the time Wing Commander came out and when we finally got a 486DX a year later I swapped in the new motherboard myself. Computers were in some ways much simpler to work on in those days and in other ways much more complex.

I wasn't an expert by any stretch, but I could do simple solder jobs that didn't require fine detail like batteries. These days I build stuff like this:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/6332_114352573264_6849251_n.jpg

-Byshop

I actually never played those games at the time, my games of chocie, or rather , lack of choice (I was kind of limited to what my family put on the computer) were Commander Keen , Prince of Persia, Aladdin , Wolf3D , etc. setting up your soundcard to work could be a pain, nevermind the lack of a GUI. although its also a good thing now that there are only a few standards, as opposed to the 4 or so different graphics settings, and a whole plethora of soundcards which may or may not work with your game.
#66 Posted by Byshop (11026 posts) -

I actually never played those games at the time, my games of chocie, or rather , lack of choice (I was kind of limited to what my family put on the computer) were Commander Keen , Prince of Persia, Aladdin , Wolf3D , etc. setting up your soundcard to work could be a pain, nevermind the lack of a GUI. although its also a good thing now that there are only a few standards, as opposed to the 4 or so different graphics settings, and a whole plethora of soundcards which may or may not work with your game.Darkman2007

I played all of those except Aladdin. Prince of Persia was one of my favorites. Jordan Mechner practically invented mo-cap in video games (although in those days it was a lot more like rotoscoping). The Aladdin game also supported that weird external sound card/speaker thing that worked only on Disney games. I never had one of those either.

-Byshop

#69 Posted by Byshop (11026 posts) -

how about you mind your own business, and yes im a huge...conkertheking1

Shhhh. The grownups are talking now.

-Byshop

#70 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="WillisTron1"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

conkertheking1

So I just read you're 15, I suppose that clears it up a little bit... but still I have to say; you're extremely arrogant and rude, and honestly I believe this to be a compensation for your lack of a back bone in real life. I realize I'm grasping at straws at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised. Even though you're on the internet, try to be kind and respectful just like you would in real life, okay? You'll find life in much more enjoyable that way, what with people actually willing to help you and be kind, rather than see you as a rude little arrogant child. Chin up there young one.

how about you mind your own business, and yes im a huge assh*le to everyone on this site cause your all a bunch of phags who are probably so desperate, lonely, and bored of playing games, that you come on this site to "discuss" games with other lonely pathetic losers who cant get 100% enjoyment from simply playing the games, so you have to go on this website and BS with other people cause you arent capable of spending 100% of your time playing games like you used too So really im sorry for all you gamespot losers who are bored with just playing games so you have to come here and pretend like your still into it.

I on the other hand only joined this website so i could start fights with people with you cause it gives me such a sick pleasure to know that i have affended you in any way. Its the next best feeling to me after beating a good game

lol, a confused and annoyed teenager:P didn't your mother tell you to lay off the coffee?
#71 Posted by Seabas989 (10026 posts) -

DD is the future. I personally am fine with that since my room is small. :P

#72 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Cartridges aren't dead according to my Vita and 3DS. I wouldn't be surpised though if both of these come out in a download-only version in a future model revision. Sony already tried it once. Like it or not, they are just not economical for home consoles anymore. Soon, neither will optical media and that's OK. Everyone knows it's the games that matter not the media...

OK, I like carts a lot and miss them too.

#73 Posted by NiKva (8768 posts) -
Its more expensive to manufacture and cartridges are ugly :P
#74 Posted by Heirren (16189 posts) -
Carts are better in every way. By now the tech would be much more than what it was. The only reason CDs took off was because of production costs.
#75 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

i like cartridges my self though bluray is virtually scratchless

dvds and cds how ever -omg cant stand those - especally for 360 the 360 gets them so hot some times they melt in the center forming hair line cracks that over time ruin the game it has happened to my gta iv to many times to count

#76 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
And SNES games were regularly $80. They are more expensive. Just imagine what a 25-50GB cart would cost.
#77 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

well from how I remember, cartidges were limited in capacity (40megs was the biggest on the genesis i think, and the N64 had to compress a LOT to fit on carts in the late 90s), so most companies (Sega saturn, dreamcast, playstation) moved over to CDrom (650megs on a disc that uses MUCH less plastic to produce and saves the publishers money). Then the PS2 and Xbox had DVD drives. DVD has been a standard platform for a while now! Instead of spending the extra money on publishing games and putting them on SD cards, most companies are just trying to push to digital format (xboxlive, playstation network, etc). the only games you can buy on a card now are the 3DS and PSvita and that's because they are portable systems.

#78 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1736 posts) -
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Who needs either? All bout DD

Yep. Kinda sad though, the need for physical media of any kind is going the way of the dodo.
#79 Posted by Heirren (16189 posts) -
[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Who needs either? All bout DD

Yep. Kinda sad though, the need for physical media of any kind is going the way of the dodo.

The need? There's still a need. It's called consumer control/rights.
#80 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1736 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Who needs either? All bout DD

The need? There's still a need. It's called consumer control/rights.

I meant how buying games, watching movies, and listening to music has all quickly becoming digital. Of course theres still a need for it, just not as much as there was 15 years ago.
#81 Posted by WillisTron1 (61 posts) -
[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

[QUOTE="WillisTron1"] So I just read you're 15, I suppose that clears it up a little bit... but still I have to say; you're extremely arrogant and rude, and honestly I believe this to be a compensation for your lack of a back bone in real life. I realize I'm grasping at straws at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised. Even though you're on the internet, try to be kind and respectful just like you would in real life, okay? You'll find life in much more enjoyable that way, what with people actually willing to help you and be kind, rather than see you as a rude little arrogant child. Chin up there young one.luckykoopsie

how about you mind your own business, and yes im a huge assh*le to everyone on this site cause your all a bunch of phags who are probably so desperate, lonely, and bored of playing games, that you come on this site to "discuss" games with other lonely pathetic losers who cant get 100% enjoyment from simply playing the games, so you have to go on this website and BS with other people cause you arent capable of spending 100% of your time playing games like you used too So really im sorry for all you gamespot losers who are bored with just playing games so you have to come here and pretend like your still into it.

I on the other hand only joined this website so i could start fights with people with you cause it gives me such a sick pleasure to know that i have affended you in any way. Its the next best feeling to me after beating a good game

you are a sad, sad little man...

Oh yea?! Well good riddance ya looney!
#82 Posted by WillisTron1 (61 posts) -

[QUOTE="WillisTron1"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

conkertheking1

That's just the thing though... you haven't "affended" anyone... believe it or not, no one actually gets upset when you say that cartridges are the greatest, or that the Sega Genesis sucks. If anything, I'm just trying to help an obviously upset little boy to be happier, but I suppose if being angry with life is just your thing, I can't really help.

#83 Posted by towny_ (115 posts) -

I find it sad that we're moving away from physical games, I love having game boxes and discs/cartridges. It actually feels like you have a game.

#84 Posted by dragonfly110 (27058 posts) -

They still exist in the portable market, in fact(correct me if I'm wrong) I believe Vita actually switched from the PSP's mini Discs to a cartridge based format.

#85 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

They still exist in the portable market, in fact(correct me if I'm wrong) I believe Vita actually switched from the PSP's mini Discs to a cartridge based format.

dragonfly110

yes you are correct. but you can download games directly to the PSvita, but unfortunately the storage is expensive and psVita specific. The memorysticks they used in the PSP (memory stick pro duo)were a sony standard (with generic brands available) and VERY cheap, but Sony decided they wanted to force everyone to buy more NEW memory cards for the psVita..... the discs that PSP games are on is called UMD.

and the 3DS/DS uses little memory cards for games too, but really I wouldnt call either a Cartridge. You CAN actually get chinese portables that take NES, Genesis and SNES carts though. They are huge though, like the Sega Nomad.