What Will Be Collectible/Valuable Wii Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Now that the Wii generation is over and the Wii U generation has begun for Nintendo, it seems like a good time to start spotting potential hard-to-get games down the road, so we can get what we want now while they're cheap!

Which Wii games do you think will rise in value?

Some off the top of my head that I think will rise in value (or at least retain their value):

• Donkey Kong Country Returns (I think this one will rise because it's the only proper DKC title since the SNES series)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy (it's already valuable)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
  • Super Smash Bros.: Brawl
#2 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
Other than Metroid Prime Trilogy, I don't think any of the first party Nintendo games will rise in value(they may keep their value for a long though, especially Galaxy which doesn't seem to want to drop). DKCR and Skyward Sword(I got them for $17.99 each a few weeks ago) are dropping already and Super Mario Galaxy/Super Paper Mario/Twilight Princess have all gotten budget rereleases so I definitely don't see those going up. Xenoblade Chronicles will likely go up a lot as it's rising in price already, unless it gets a reprint not exclusive to just Gamestop.
#3 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Other than Metroid Prime Trilogy, I don't think any of the first party Nintendo games will rise in value(they may keep their value for a long though, especially Galaxy which doesn't seem to want to drop). DKCR and Skyward Sword(I got them for $17.99 each a few weeks ago) are dropping already and Super Mario Galaxy/Super Paper Mario/Twilight Princess have all gotten budget rereleases so I definitely don't see those going up. Xenoblade Chronicles will likely go up a lot as it's rising in price already, unless it gets a reprint not exclusive to just Gamestop. Eikichi-Onizuka

All consoles have a period where the games drop in value as Gamestop and other such stores clear them out. That's why I thought it would be a good time to talk about this because we're at that period for Wii games. That's why these prices are dropping right now, really. But in the future when such stores are no longer carrying them and we're getting them at thrift shops and on eBay is what I mean.

#4 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
Also Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition, that and Metroid Prime Trilogy are tops.
#5 Posted by Rod90 (7266 posts) -
Metroid Prime Trilogy, Donkey Kong Barrel Blast and Xenoblade.
#6 Posted by Seabas989 (10026 posts) -

I think:

• Metroid Prime Trilogy
  • LOZ: Skyward Sword with Motion+
  • Goldeneye 007 with Classic controller
  • House of the Dead: Overkill
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Not sure what else. Maybe Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

#7 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -
I hope the Wii version of Pikmin 2 becomes rare again. I really don't wanna play it.
#8 Posted by Devil-Itachi (4362 posts) -
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Xenoblade Chronicles Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars
#9 Posted by Orlando_Magic (37447 posts) -

Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Metroid Prime Trilogy

Maybe Kirby Return to Dreamland? Epic Yarn's price has plummeted and it's super cheap now but I think Return to Dreamland might retain it's value better.

#10 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

I'm going to echo what many of you have already posted, as well as post a few new ones:

Xenoblade Chronicles- I actually believe this game will be the next Earthbound in about 10-years from now (when the Wii will start becoming collectable most likely). It had a limited release, very little exposure when it was released, and it is one of the best JRPGs to be released in the past 10-years. It has all the makings of an extemely collectable and valuable game someday.

Metroid Prime Trilogy- Like Xenoblade, it had a limited release and very few people knew it was released until it went out of print. My guess is that this game will become relatively cheap in the next few years (probably dip to around $30 to $45 dollars, but that it is the lowest it'll ever be. Someday, MPT will likely level out around $100, kind of like Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on the SNES.

Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition- it's mario, it's in a collectable box, and it wasn't given a lot of exposure when it was released. Yes it will be valuable and yes it will be collectable.

Kirby's Dream Collection- Kirby games always become more and more valuable as time goes by, at least the main games, and given it has 6 of the best Kirby games on it, you can bet that it will be valuable someday.

Klonoa- It's a solid remake of the original, and like the original it didn't get a lot of attention when it was released. I don't think it will ever be as sought after as its PS predecessor, but it will still be hard to find and pretty valuable as time goes on.

Little King's Story- Another great game, while not very rare, it is very, very underappreciated and not well known by many gamers currently. I can see this game becoming pretty valuable and sought after.

Sin and Punishment: Star Successor- If the first game was any indication of the fanbase and demand that this game could have someday, expect it to go for well over $40 by the end of this decade. It'll likely be very hard to find as well. I bought a brand new copy about 4-months ago for $8 on Ebay, so I'd get it now because I'm not sure it'll stay that low much longer.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade- I have a sneaking suspicion that this game and it's older cousin Odin Sphere on the PS2 will skyrocket in value in the near future. Again, underappreciated, small released titles like this typically are dirt cheap until people start looking for good games to collect. This will be at the top of many people's list.

There are probably a great deal of other games on the Wii that will climb in value and collectability, but these are the main ones that come to mind.

#11 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -

Definitly Tatsunko vs Capcom since they stopped printing it, Metroid prime trilogy (still have a sealed copy hehe) Xenoblade chronicles, Super mario all stars limited edtion (still have a sealed copy of the sountrack/artwork case)

#12 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Metroid Prime Trilogy for certain but you've already mentioned it a few times. Such an awesome collection! How could you not open it and play it though?!

#13 Posted by DeafNYCPlayer (2307 posts) -
One Piece Unlimited Adventure Guitar Hero Bundles Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 Godzilla Unleashed Dokapon Kingdom Rock Band bundles
#14 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Dokapon Kingdom DeafNYCPlayer

I totally forgot DBZ BT3; I remember just about two years ago this game was barey worth $10 and the PS2 version was worth the big bucks, however it has pretty much reversed (PS2 version is still worth around $25). I personally prefer the PS2 version, but yes, this game will become pretty saught after I think.

In regards to Dokapon Kingdom, I actually didn't know this game was valuable until about a week ago. It's a shame because I ran into the Wii version of this game about two months ago for $5 and I wrote it off and didn't get it. Something tells me I'll regret that for a very long time lol.

#15 Posted by Heirren (16193 posts) -
It really depends on what Nintendo does with wiiu. I wouldn't be surprised if they release Mario collections, etc.
#16 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

Metroid Prime Trilogy I think will be the nly one to attain any real value.

#17 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeafNYCPlayer"] Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Dokapon Kingdom Shenmue_Jehuty

I totally forgot DBZ BT3; I remember just about two years ago this game was barey worth $10 and the PS2 version was worth the big bucks, however it has pretty much reversed (PS2 version is still worth around $25). I personally prefer the PS2 version, but yes, this game will become pretty saught after I think.

In regards to Dokapon Kingdom, I actually didn't know this game was valuable until about a week ago. It's a shame because I ran into the Wii version of this game about two months ago for $5 and I wrote it off and didn't get it. Something tells me I'll regret that for a very long time lol.

Sweet, I own that and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. With any luck they will become the first rare games that I own.

#18 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="DeafNYCPlayer"] Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Dokapon Kingdom chaosclown17

Sweet, I own that and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. With any luck they will become the first rare games that I own.

I don't know that they are "rare", but they are pretty uncommon, especially Dokapon Kingdom, which I would say is borderline rare.

#19 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]Other than Metroid Prime Trilogy, I don't think any of the first party Nintendo games will rise in value(they may keep their value for a long though, especially Galaxy which doesn't seem to want to drop). DKCR and Skyward Sword(I got them for $17.99 each a few weeks ago) are dropping already and Super Mario Galaxy/Super Paper Mario/Twilight Princess have all gotten budget rereleases so I definitely don't see those going up. Xenoblade Chronicles will likely go up a lot as it's rising in price already, unless it gets a reprint not exclusive to just Gamestop. Emerald_Warrior

All consoles have a period where the games drop in value as Gamestop and other such stores clear them out. That's why I thought it would be a good time to talk about this because we're at that period for Wii games. That's why these prices are dropping right now, really. But in the future when such stores are no longer carrying them and we're getting them at thrift shops and on eBay is what I mean.

I have yet to see a main Zelda game shoot up in price either though. Wind Waker might be high for a Gamecube game but it's still only $35-40, under the original retail price by a good 20-30%. That's why I said they may hold their value but not necessarily become valuable or rare.
#20 Posted by Megavideogamer (5274 posts) -

It would be easy to state the 30-40 games that people have always listed when people have said the wii has no good games. Then the list of the same 30-40 game will appear.

But since the Wii has an library of over 1300 games. Other than the throw away games, and casual shovelware. There may be some undiscovered jems? Which will be the collectable ones.

Everyone has Super Smash Bros brawl, Super mario Galaxy. So they are not going to be very rare and valuable collector games.

It is like buying an NES and Super mario Brother, and Super mario Brother 3 in 2012. Easily done and for less then they cost in the 1980's.

So I don't expect the 30-40 great Wii games everyone usually lists for the Wii to be valuable in 2025. Since they are quite common.

#21 Posted by zenszulu (1907 posts) -

Any of the games that had limited releases because they sold so poorly despite getting good reviews, as there seems to be quite a few of those on the system, I can imagine though some of the ones that will get the highest values will be Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Metroid Prime Trilogy and even Skyward Sword Sword to an extent as even though it sold a few million it is still one of the lowest selling Zelda games.

#22 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

It would be easy to state the 30-40 games that people have always listed when people have said the wii has no good games. Then the list of the same 30-40 game will appear.

But since the Wii has an library of over 1300 games. Other than the throw away games, and casual shovelware. There may be some undiscovered jems? Which will be the collectable ones.

Everyone has Super Smash Bros brawl, Super mario Galaxy. So they are not going to be very rare and valuable collector games.

It is like buying an NES and Super mario Brother, and Super mario Brother 3 in 2012. Easily done and for less then they cost in the 1980's.

So I don't expect the 30-40 great Wii games everyone usually lists for the Wii to be valuable in 2025. Since they are quite common.

Megavideogamer

While you're mostly right, common games do have a tendency to rise in value or at least stay reletively high in price despite seling millions when they werei n production. Look at Final Fantasy VII; it sold millions of copies in every region it was released and even went greatest hits, but several years after it went out of production, you'd be hard pressed to find a copy for under $50. It has dropped in price since then, but still goes pretty consistently for $30 to $50 used. There are many other examples of this as well, so just because a game is very common doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be worthless someday.

#23 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
Last Story The Kirby Collection Xenoblade Chronicles Ju-on the grudge (Already hard to get) Mushroom men: The Spore Wars Anything made by Atlus (Trauma Center, No more heros, etc.)
#24 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Last Story The Kirby Collection Xenoblade Chronicles Ju-on the grudge (Already hard to get) Mushroom men: The Spore Wars Anything made by Atlus (Trauma Center, No more heros, etc.)Sali217

Yeah,because it was Atlus that developed NMH,and not Grasshopper Manufacture!

>_> brainfart much?

Atlus had nothing to do with it,nothing.....

#25 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sali217"]Last Story The Kirby Collection Xenoblade Chronicles Ju-on the grudge (Already hard to get) Mushroom men: The Spore Wars Anything made by Atlus (Trauma Center, No more heros, etc.)GreekGameManiac

Yeah,because it was Atlus that developed NMH,and not Grasshopper Manufacture!

>_> brainfart much?

Atlus had nothing to do with it,nothing.....

Yeah you're right, I was thinking Suda 51 also. Apparently I must not have been paying attention when typing that >_
#26 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -
Also Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition, that and Metroid Prime Trilogy are tops.JogsterXL
and that kirby compilation , also to the ones that say they wont rise dont say that , there was a point where top gear 3000 was selling for 50 bucks just 2 yrs ago on other note a ren and stimpy game of all game go for 30 bucks still , and t hose arent that good so i think pretty much any first party title with mario zelda metroid kirby and donkey kong in it , will be up there in value
#27 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

been searching for a copy of "Fragile Dreams" since it came out, and I've never come across a copy under $40

i'm guessing its not suddenly going to become easier to find or cheaper (unless it gets a re-release)

as for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, i sold mine thankfully. what a mess. why they decided to remove the normal controls from the first two games and force you to play with the crappier controls was frustrating as all hell. sure, I get that they wanted to ADD the crummy wand controls to the games, but to actively remove the option to play it normally?
i had to go back out and buy the proper versions lol

#28 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

been searching for a copy of "Fragile Dreams" since it came out, and I've never come across a copy under $40

i'm guessing its not suddenly going to become easier to find or cheaper (unless it gets a re-release)TheKungFool

It's $20 new on Amazon.

#29 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

i'm guessing its not suddenly going to become easier to find or cheaper (unless it gets a re-release)Eikichi-Onizuka

It's $20 new on Amazon.

I stand corrected then, and appreciate the notice.

#30 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3646 posts) -

With the massive amount of games and consoles sold, I would say that a few games may hold their value a little more than others, but as far as going up in value.... well, I would guess that it will be a decade or more before any major price jumps are noticed. I would imagine that some of the shovelware/no one ever heard of the game titles will grow in price eventually as well. With that in mind however, I think it will be pretty easy to find most games at a reasonable if not very low price for the next 20 years or so.

First editions, and single prints will rise in value very slowly and the Wii will be a console that is extremelly easy to collect for. However, that is just my take.