What were the hardest in-game decisions you had to make?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Name the game, the choice you had to make, your reason for picking that decision and did you have any regrets after making that decision.

For me, the Tenpenny Tower quest in Fallout 3 comes to mind. The Tenpenny residents were racist pricks but I sided with them because I knew it was only a matter of time before the ghouls demanding to move in would might go feral.

I liked the twisted morality mind **** you got if you thought you were doing the right thing siding with the ghouls only to see Tenpenny residents later get massacred. After replaying the quest and siding with the ghouls and seeing what they did, I had no regrets siding with the Tenpenny tenants.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

"Do I Keep playing this piece of crapp to the end" my experience with Uncharted !

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Do I save Ashly, and hope there is a lesbian option, or will I be dissapointed...

Walkthrough...

Oh... The blue chicks the lesbian.. Ok your borth screwed! "Tosses a coin".

Bye Ashly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu

@ Evil_Saluki

That was a hard decision. But in the end, the one who can't be banged is the one who must go.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Noone really since its just a game and if i don't like the decision i can rewind and do it over.

But a hard one was whether or not to take a dumb in south park.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#6  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

I remember the first time when I came across a very difficult in-game moral choice: The Granstream Saga, an underrated 1997 PS1 RPG from Quintet/Shade. Near the end of the game, you're forced to make a choice regarding what happens with the two female leads: one of them will be saved, while the other will have her soul devoured for all eternity. Very twisted stuff, especially for a story that just seemed like your typical run-of-the-mill JRPG up until it got very dark in the last few hours of the game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

"Do I romance Ashley or Liara"

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#8 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

@Jacanuk:

lol, yep, i'm a redo addict.

hmm, I know I took forever trying to decide on being a jedi guardian or consular my first time through.

as well, I almost gave in and traded in my first game ever back when: gta4.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HipHopBeats

@Lulu_Lulu: Lol, that's exactly how I felt about Uncharted 3. As for Mass Effect I agree. The unsmashable female is always a no go in my book.

@Jag85 Never heard of that one but jrpg's were starting to get deep with twisted outcomes even back then. I still remember my first time playing Final Fantasy 7.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ HipHopBeats

Truth be told it wasn't really a difficult decision. I couldn't press eject fast enough ! :p

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HipHopBeats

@Lulu_Lulu: If I didn't waste $60 on Uncharted 3 at launch, I would have did the same thing. I at least wanted to finish it before getting rid of it. It did feel like a chore though. I learned my lesson about feeding in to the AAA hype since then.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

lol. I learned if my brother purchases the game I can play it and be miserable, free of charge !

TLOU was great though. Its about time Naughty Dog stepped up their game, it was no where near the master piece hype makes super cows believe it is but it is a great game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jag85

@HipHopBeats said:

@Lulu_Lulu: Lol, that's exactly how I felt about Uncharted 3. As for Mass Effect I agree. The unsmashable female is always a no go in my book.

@Jag85 Never heard of that one but jrpg's were starting to get deep with twisted outcomes even back then. I still remember my first time playing Final Fantasy 7.

True, but you could kind of tell FFVII would have a generally dark plot from the dark cyberpunk intro. The Granstream Saga starts off more like a bright steampunk anime, which made the dark and twisted climax all the more unexpected. Anyway, Granstream Saga was the first time I came across a really difficult decision like that, because I didn't want either heroine to deserve such a harsh fate.

Speaking of Mass Effect, I never got around to completing the first Mass Effect, but I kind of had that twist spoiled for me online... And from what little I know of the twist, it sounds a bit similar to that twist in Granstream Saga I mentioned above (but hopefully, not quite as 'twisted' as that). I know it involves Ashley, but I forgot which other character it involves (maybe it's better I don't remember).

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HipHopBeats

@Jag85: I see what you mean. I remember my first time playing MGS 1 back in 96. I was expecting another 'infiltrate the enemy base, shoot up a bunch of terrorists, free the captives and save the day' type game. I was blown away at how intricate and twisted the plot became the more you progressed.

Then a part where you had to withstand torture and not pass out in order to keep someone else alive didn't really mean much until the ending cutscene where I like 'damn, maybe I should have gave a damn'.

Granted Mass Effect 1 is indeed a chore to finish, mainly due to the wacky combat and boring Mako runs, you really should get back to finishing it at some point. The Ashley choice you are referring too plays out very similar to what you mentioned in Granstream Saga except, it takes place midway through the game and with so much more plot devices at play, by the time you reach the end, you'll have way more important and heavier decisions to contemplate over.

That's what makes Mass Effect so good despite Mass Effect 3's disappointing conclusion. There's no going back from your decisions and your choices have consequences throughout the entire franchise. Best game in the series as far as seeing every decision you make play out for better or worse is definitely Mass Effect 2, especially during the last mission which is like Granstream Saga's end choices on steroids.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jag85

@HipHopBeats:

Yeah, I really need to get around to finishing Mass Effect one of these days, probably after I get around to finishing MGS4 and Uncharted 2. There's quite a few big games I've left unfinished for years.

Anyway, another recommendation I'd make (a few recommendations, actually) are visual novels like Clannad, Fate/Stay Night, 999 and Steins Gate (the English version of which is coming out at the end of this month). These games have difficult choices which have drastic consequences on how the story plays out.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

when i started playing mass effect (before knowing how the whole conversation thing worked in the game) i said to myself "osan0....make your decisisons and live with them". so no reloading or anything like that.

so that time came when one of my crew was going to die. i had sent ashley off killing things and kept the other guy for dealing with the bomb. decision time came and i chose the guy simply because i knew that bomb had to go off. sure he said he would get it done and yadda yadda but he couldnt gurantee it (im sure the bomb does go off if i decide to go the other direction but thats not really the point). ashleys mission, at that stage, was not critical. so i went back to personally make sure that bomb would be armed and detonated. in the end thats how i resolved it in my head. wasnt about the people but about the mission.

the other tricky one *because i made a poor decision for the suicide mission in ME2" was saving the geth or their creators in ME3. i hadn't done enough to save both. neither diserved to be wiped out really but in the end i decided that the geth were more diserving of survival. bye bye tali.

in the witcher 1 a town was about to be wiped out. im a witcher..im supposed to stay out of these things. so far in the game i was doing so...avoiding commiting to any side. but i couldnt bring myself to let that village get wiped out. i paid for that later i think.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Choosing whether or not to shoot your own mother in Silent Hill: Homecoming. Ugh.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's mostly in Mass Effect and Dragon Age i get those choices

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#20 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

Every game that has a class system I spend about an hour or so contemplating which one to choose.

@Jag85 said:

a story that just seemed like your typical run-of-the-mill JRPG up until it got very dark in the last few hours of the game.

Reminds me of KH. I enjoyed the combat but the story wasn't very dark at all until the last hour or so. (It still wasn't dark, but got much more serious all-of-a-sudden.)

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

This thread NEEDS spoiler alerts.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Last_Ride

@Netret0120 said:

people don't know how to use spoiler blocks...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

Eh? of course the thread doesn't need spoiler alerts because if you go into a thread named "What were the hardest in-game decisions you had to make?"and don't expect there to spoilers you might need to just turn of the computer and don't go onto the big bad web.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@Netret0120 said:

Eh? of course the thread doesn't need spoiler alerts because if you go into a thread named "What were the hardest in-game decisions you had to make?"and don't expect there to spoilers you might need to just turn of the computer and don't go onto the big bad web.

Loading Video...

damn dude :P

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#25 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

@Jacanuk: Well it's kind of a toss up I suppose. Yes you should expect spoilers in this thread, but no specific game is mentioned until you actually read the individual post so you might want to read all but one post. Still, it's not like anyone here is jumping to "____ died and I cried!" so there's plenty warning to stop reading until you get to that point.