What was YOUR favorite game of this generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Michformer (93 posts) -

This is it, folks: after eight long years, we are finally entering the next generation of consoles. It's been a long and interesting ride, to be honest: the Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii paved the way for some really great and legendary games amidst all the DLC, casualization and grey-brown shooter shenanigans that had defined this generation, whose impact is made even more potent by the fact that it's one of the longest console generations ever (as I said before, eight years!). Not surprising considering that the 360 and PS3 (sorry Wii) heralded the age of HD gaming, an age that would last a long time and make developers squeeze every last droplet of power from these beastly machines.

It seems only fitting, then, that we discuss which game defined our lives the most during the seventh generation of consoles. Such a game must have changed the way we perceived gaming for the better, whether it had amazing and/or innovative gameplay, a great story, jaw-dropping graphics, a beautifully-rendered world, an incredible soundtrack, loads of cool features and so on...

So what is YOUR favorite game of this generation? Personally, I would have to go with Oblivion. Its rich and detailed world, enchanting atmosphere, deep gameplay, superb tone, outstanding soundtrack, 'next-gen feel' (at the time) and massive repay value changed the way I perceived RPGs forever. Although subsequent Bethesda games were excellent in their own rights (and GOTY-worthy), Oblivion was the game that resonated with me the most. Even though it was released WAY BACK during the Xbox 360 launch window (March 2006), I still play Oblivion to this day simply because of how INCREDIBLE it is. If you never had the chance of playing this gem during this past generation, then do yourself a favor and play this amazing masterpiece.

#2 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16675 posts) -

A game on the DS called Knights in the Nightmare. It's not my most played game, but hot damn... Everything about it is incredible, from the atmosphere, art, music, to the intense, unique gameplay and strategy. I'll definitely revisit it soon since this generation is over.

Screw everyone else's AAA "masterpieces", KitN is what a great game should be and more.

Also, it wouldn't be appropriate to call Oblivion a gem. A gem often means a game that's not well known and didn't receive a whole lot of attention before or after release. Oblivion was anything but that. KitN would be more appropriate to call a gem, although in this case it's more like a crown jewel.

#3 Posted by FireWalkerMD (41 posts) -

Mass Effect 2
I still remember the first time I went through the Omega 4 relay pretty well. I was literally shaking of excitement. Few games of the past generation made me feel that. The fantastic soundtrack made that moment ever more epic. But then ME2 is much more than just that: It is a game that puts the main story in the background to pave way to a more personal experience with arguably the best characters ever put in a video game. The way I bonded with them and the way I cared for them is just something very few games make me feel. Mass Effect 2's other big merit is successfully blending the RPG and third person shooter genres intro one cohesive whole and making it effortless to play and understand.

#4 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles

For me it was one of the most original games I played this generation, and being original with a turn based strategy title isn't easy. It's a meaty game with a lot of content, a fantastic story and an outright beautiful art style with exceptional presentation throughout the entire game. Everything from the water colour / anime effect during gameplay to the book style menu system that holds the games campaign just looks fantastic. It's a shame it was dropped on to the market as a PS3 exclusive at a time few people had a PS3 and with little to no marketing. For me it's easily the best game SEGA have made in a decade, and one of those games that'll remain popular with the few that played it, long after this generation has ended.

#5 Posted by Jacanuk (4224 posts) -

GTA IV , Civ 5, CKII , EUIV , Fallout 3+NV

Naming one is impossible.

#6 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2882 posts) -

Eventhough I have SSBB as my favorite "photography class" game,I can't seem to have had enough of Sonic Colors. The story was amazing,even with Japanese dub and sub,the gameplay mechanics doesn't seem to change a lot since the "Nightmare Era" used it more,except you now have better power-ups than before

#7 Posted by johnd13 (7993 posts) -

Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Skyrim and the Mass Effect trilogy are my top fav.

#8 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8769 posts) -

Batman Arkham City is a game that does so many different things and does each of these aspects at a level that most games never reach. It's combat is simple yet incredibly deep, it's stealth is fantastic, It's exploration is engaging, it's puzzles are well crafted, and the challenge rooms and secrets will keep you busy for countless hours. It's a Jack of all trades and it did everything sublimely

Donkey Kong Country Returns is a platformer that knows no equal. It's mechanics and crazy level design are unmatched and it's steadily increasing difficulty offers a truly legitimate difficulty that's hard to find these days. The sheer amount of gameplay to be found in this platformer is staggering and, after spending well over 100 hours with it, have still so much left to do.

Honourable mentions: Super Street Fighter IV, Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword

#9 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17056 posts) -

Sonic Generations. No other platformer series is as exciting and thrilling as Sonic, and Generations took it to another level, and all while paying homage to the classics, and having one of the greatest video game soundtracks I've ever heard. For me, especially, platforming at high speeds and trying to rank amongst the best in the world is highly addicting.

Plus the mod community is top notch:

#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6961 posts) -

Too many to name, but anything that focuses on stealth I absolutely hate and RPG's are given way too much credit

GTA 5

Portal 2

Call of Duty 4

Super Meat Boy

Trials Evolution

Project Gotham Racing 4

Forza 4

Burnout Paradise

Grid

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Just Cause 2.

How could I choose just one?

#11 Posted by osan0 (12631 posts) -

i dont think i could pick just one. some games that stick out though for me:

xenoblade chronicles,

the world ends with you,

mario galaxy,

batman arkham asylum (nearly didnt pick this up due to a crap demo).7

metroid prime 3,

the witcher 1 and 2,

lost winds 1 and 2

crysis 1

borderlands (in multiplayer this game is awesome).

empire total war (the sheer scale of it...holy crap!)

monster hunter 3 (my first MH game...love it. looking forward to MH4).

rayman origins.

...i could go on...and so i shall :P.

seriously though.....skyrim (better than i thought it would be....shines with mods).....seriosuly though its been a good gen.

#12 Posted by Crash6 (2985 posts) -

Call of Duty 4

The only game that I've played in my life that can even come remotely close to the fun factor this game provided on release and for 2 years after up until MW2 is Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2. And not even that beats it. This game slapped me in the face with fun factor at a time when I was getting carried away with graphics, but then also delivered on that aspect as well. Best game and multiplayer this gen period. Online multiplayer wouldn't mean what it does to me today without CoD 4.

#13 Posted by marcheegsr (2522 posts) -

Without a doubt Mass effect 2.

#14 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

Skyrim with Deus Ex: Human Revolution a very close second.

#15 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

While I'd never argue that all of these could be called "best" in an objective list, here is the list of my favorites of the gen. Some are buggy, or have issues that many dislike. But for whatever reason I had some of the most fun with these games over the last 8 years:

• Dead Rising -It's hard to walk without tripping over 10 new zombies games nowadays. But when this one came out in 2006, it was a breath of fresh (err... rotted) air. The silly narrative, comedy both intentional and uninentional, the customization, and the sheer amount of zombies on screen was very impressive. And I still find this game fun. I play it about once every 12-18 months, if only for a little while.
  • Fallout 3 -I know a lot of fans of classic Fallout prefer New Vegas, but as a newcomer to the series this is the one that gets my affection. The ruins of DC were affecting, the atmosphere was palpable, and while it was a bit buggy at time, there was a sense of wonder around every corner.
  • Red Dead Redemption -A game that made the old spaghetti westerns into an interactive experience. This one was, and is, among the best in tone. Offering the play a wide array of things to do, places to visit, and vistas to experience. I can't speak highly enough about this game.
  • Saints Row 2 -The spiritual successor to my favorite open-world crime games (San Andreas), Saint's Row 2 offered insane levels of customization, silly side missions, a storyline that was at once crazy and yet oddly endearing. If only they'd tightened up the driving portion of the game to feel less floaty, this one could rate as high as San Andreas for me.
  • Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST -Say what you will about Halo, it's just plain fun. Introducing screenshot abilities and map customization, video clip abilities, fantastic controls and a gameplay loop that remains compelling even to this day. Both of these Halo titles are fantastic.
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City -Showing the world how stealth and combat should work in congress to make a game that lets you live in the boots of the Batman for a while. I enjoyed these games so much it's hard to express it in mere words. I think I'd need to coin a few new phrases to get the point across. Bat-tastic from start to finish.
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown -I actually played this one on PC, not the consoles. But it's a fantastic game so I wanted to mention it. :)

Honorable Mention: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed- This game was a busted mess if we're totally honest. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it just the same. While I can't give it a place on the list, it's still one of the most fun games I played from that year. I think it's something to do with people of my generation. Who grew up when Star Wars was new, who remember how impressive it was back in the 70s. There's something almost Pavlovian about the sound of blaster fire or a lightsaber cracking to life. It just gets me. And this one, while not the most technically impressive, managed to offer something new and interesting to the Star Wars license. So if for no other reason than that, I give it a mention.

#16 Posted by BranKetra (48175 posts) -

The eighth generation has started, so calling the seventh generation "this" is not really okay unless you clarify this thread is just for people who have yet to get an eighth generation video game console.

#17 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70697 posts) -

Overall it has to be Mass Effect 2

#18 Posted by Iridion-II (1343 posts) -

I've listed and said a ton of different things but when all is said and done Gears of War 1 was the funnest, easiest to pick up experience I had.

#19 Posted by Yoshi9000 (387 posts) -

Single Player: 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors. Amazing point and click adventure game with fun puzzles and a riveting and thought-provoking story.

Multiplayer: Halo 3. Focuses on the "just plain fun factor" of FPS multiplayer. Forge and custom games allows infinite possibilities to enjoy first person shooting mayhem with friends online.

#20 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6007 posts) -

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames. blowing up whole city blocks is fun- doing so with a friend is riotously amusing. It was never going to win any awards for it's technical achievements, but it was still the one game I kept going back to, and always left me wondering why I'd ever stopped playing it in the first place.

Batman: Arkham City and TMNT: Out of the Shadows also scored pretty high on the list.

#21 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

The generation you call "This gen" is actually "Last gen". I've had my Xbox One for almost a week now!

#22 Posted by ristactionjakso (5713 posts) -

I dont know how to pick just one.

The most played is Darksiders 2. It was a great adventure game. But I wouldn't consider it my favorite.

I want to say Dues Ex HR.....but then FC3 is on my favorite list too......

#23 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70697 posts) -

Without a doubt Mass effect 2.

I approve of this

#24 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky showed up on the PSP and went on to become my favorite game of all time.

#25 Posted by Bigboi500 (29347 posts) -

Fallout: New Vegas, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Tales of Vesperia where my favorites.

#26 Edited by withe1982 (450 posts) -

Off the top of my head:

1. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  2. The Last Of Us
  3. Bioshock Infinite
  4. Read Dead Redemption
  5. Mass Effect 2
  6. Fallout 3

#27 Posted by Synapticus (5 posts) -

Only one game could make me weep with such joy and dismay.

Dark Souls.

Maybe two if you count Demon's Souls.

(The Walking Dead by Telltale also made me weep, but it wasn't really a "game" so much as a choose-your-own-adventure.)

#28 Posted by MaverickOutcast (97 posts) -

For Me It's:

1. The Mass Effect Trilogy

2. Assassin's Creed (Ezio's Trilogy)

3. Tales of Vesperia

#29 Edited by WaxTheTrip (35 posts) -

For me it's probably Fez. Just amazing.

#30 Posted by xrockerboy (39 posts) -

choosing one game is hard, but my top 6 will be:

Halo 3

Halo Reach

The Last of Us

Battlefield Bad Company 2

Bioshock Infinite

Gears of War 1

#31 Posted by Jacanuk (4224 posts) -

I almost forgot Assassin´s creed 1 and 2 and Dishonored also on the list of great games.

#32 Posted by Simjang (9 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs - it's a great continuation of True Crime and it's a great game at all. :D