What Was The Best Mass Effect Game?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mostly_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll What Was The Best Mass Effect Game? (98 votes)

Mass Effect 30%
Mass Effect 2 53%
Mass Effect 3 17%

I'd have to go with 2, myself. I find little wrong with it.

1 had the most RPG elements, sure, but it also had the most issues (IMO).

3 has by far the best combat, but the auto-dialogue, reduced choice count, reduced allies, and some other more minor things prevent it from taking the top spot.

• 
piyush181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#51 piyush181
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@mjorh: for some may be.. not for me though..

Avatar image for deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By deactivated-63dfa0b8f0214
Member since 2003 • 378 Posts

Mass Effect: I love talking to people in this game. It has some of the best non-critical dialogue in the series. Too bad non of it paid off. I talk to someone and they give this amazing set up for a side mission only to find that the mission was the lamest, most cookie cutter thing ever conceived. I didn't do too many of them, but enough to know that it was a general trend with the game. The game is also rushed or at least very unpolished. Outside of the Citadel (and maybe the Normandy) the game can be tedious and ugly. Interestingly, the gameplay is actually generally enjoyable on PC. I had heard as much but it was still pleasant to experience. Shame the console controls are so terrible in comparison.

Mass Effect 2: Pretty good first impression. However, outside of some choice moments, it eventually becomes somewhat of a numb experience. Most of the cast is not really as awesome as I first thought. They all seem superficially great but only a few are really interesting. The interesting ones are excellent though. Gameplay is decent-to-great depending on how much you rely on tech/biotic abilities. The shooting is okay but can get monotonous if you don't shake it up. The ending isn't terrible but I don't find it as awesome as everyone else seems to. Yeah, your choices kind of matter but it all seems fairly artificial. Pieces on a chess board. Shadow Breaker is the best ME mission.

Mass Effect 3: My first play-through of this game was quite probably more enjoyable than with the other titles. I found it moving and fun. The auto conversation wasn't something I really noticed until it was pointed out. It is generally a gorgeous game. I liked, or found interesting, virtually every character I came across. Combat was excellent (though I currently much prefer it on consoles) and the levels were great. The ending sucks really badly. The story was cracker jack until that point, IMO. It has some (generally mild) cringe inducers here and there, but it works very well overall. The game seems sensitive to your sound set-up which can affect the games atmosphere, and thus your enjoyment. All in all, the game had the most soul of the series. A beautiful and sometimes heart wrenching game.

pokemon4597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 pokemon4597
Member since 2009 • 48 Posts

I played ME1 after I played 2, so it felt like an absolute slog....gosh, the shooting, the awful cover system...the combat just had a clunky, slow, almost pointless feel to it. The story was really great though, and the characters were as great as ever.

ME2 takes it for me. Everything just blended together so perfectly: the characters and their individual stories, the fantastic shootouts, the overall arc was so tight and so exciting. I don't know what it is about ME3 that doesn't quite take it to the top for me...it's definitely an incredible game that totally finishes the trilogy on a high note.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Tough one, because all 3 did great things but had some really annoying flaws. I'd have to ultimately go with 3. Even though I despised the ending, I thought everything else was great up until that point. They did a really good job of making the player undergo a sense of "desperation" in the game world in gathering resources to fight the reapers.

2nd was good too, I just found it ludicrously easy. But the suicide mission was fucking amazing. I actually liked the change to the gunplay with the re-loadable heat sink mags.

Everything about the first was good, but didn't do anything particularly amazing. Couldn't stand the loading at some parts (Citadel) and the planet exploration was ok at first, but got tedious on subsequent play throughs. Not to mention they just didn't look that great. The inventory was an ugly mess

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#55  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@wiouds said:

@mjorh said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ mjorh

Peoples Beef with the ending has got more to do with choices not mattering than it does with the story about thing ending its self. Atleast thats my theory. It had a great story.

@ udUbdaWgz1

although Mass Effect 2 was simplified and more streamlined, dare I even say Dumbed down, than Mass Effect 1, It had more depth in practice than the 1st game did. Things like being able to manipulate the the Explosive Canisters, using Push, Pull and Singularity is much better than the 30 different types of mods you can add to your Armour and Weapons. Its just complexity for the Sake of Complexity, theres no depth in that. I'm really not a big fan of Multiple versions of a single concept like the Biotic Barrier and Shields, they are the same thing, a regenerating hoop one has to jump through before they have access to health or armor (which are also the same). I call it a "hoop" because its kind of annoying when you need to use warp for one and overload for the other. It just seems unecessary.

Plus Mass Effect 2 introduced the Infiltrator, a more sneaky type Class that can briefly turn invisible to avoid detection (I use this to go behind enemies, where they have no cover) and special ability where aiming through your sniper rifle's scope slows down time for two seconds. Other than that, it was pretty much like the others and I think that alone puts it ahead of Mass Effect 1.

As for things like Character Developement, I'm not a big fan of that. I'm all for cusomizing but progression just seems unbalanced.

I agree, all games have stats and attributes, and that will never change, but in other genres they keep them under the hood and the Player can change or manipulate them, they are static and seemingly non-existant. It allows one to analyze scenarios more practically than statistically.

Well thats just me. Everybody has a few of their own features they would like to change. I wonder if Project Spark lets you do that.

Yeah the story was great , no doubt , BUT not the best story of the franchise ," Story" is not jus narrative , it should be perfect in all aspect then u can refer to it as a great story , u see in the ME2 everything was great about the story not just the narrative or sth , i seriously didn't like the character developments in ME3 ,actually in comparison to ME2 it was so poor!

Recall the last mission of Mass Effect 2 , it was epic , it was thrilling , it had an incredible conclusion to all the stuff that u had done during the game play , so streamlined , without any confusion and being like "what the hell happend?" !

Mass Effect 3 was just all about narrative , when it comes to story. it had a better game play but man " Story is the soul of a game" , especially in this genre ,

ME2 and good characters...Are you kidding me?

Is the most emo and whiny cast I have seen in any game. I avoiding the entire cast and try to get by without talking to them.

ME2 story as a whole is not that good.

Oh yeah?! EMO?! c'mon man seriously "whiny" ? what the hell does that suppose to mean ?

First, i need to know your ideal "Character Developments Criteria" , name a game or sh that you think had done a great n compelling job in that are ....

@Lulu_Lulu , In ME2 we were dealing with a great character called Illusive man , which i believe devs really pulled it off in making him a man with pride n dignity .....he actually was the big deal ,not some lame alien shits

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

ME2 without a doubt

ME2>>>ME3>>>>>>>>ME

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Mass Effect 2 without a doubt. The loyalty missions are awesome to play through. Mass Effect 3 has some issues with the ending(it could have been done better, but overall it's just an amazing game). So i vote for ME 2

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@mjorh said:

@wiouds said:

@mjorh said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ mjorh

Peoples Beef with the ending has got more to do with choices not mattering than it does with the story about thing ending its self. Atleast thats my theory. It had a great story.

@ udUbdaWgz1

although Mass Effect 2 was simplified and more streamlined, dare I even say Dumbed down, than Mass Effect 1, It had more depth in practice than the 1st game did. Things like being able to manipulate the the Explosive Canisters, using Push, Pull and Singularity is much better than the 30 different types of mods you can add to your Armour and Weapons. Its just complexity for the Sake of Complexity, theres no depth in that. I'm really not a big fan of Multiple versions of a single concept like the Biotic Barrier and Shields, they are the same thing, a regenerating hoop one has to jump through before they have access to health or armor (which are also the same). I call it a "hoop" because its kind of annoying when you need to use warp for one and overload for the other. It just seems unecessary.

Plus Mass Effect 2 introduced the Infiltrator, a more sneaky type Class that can briefly turn invisible to avoid detection (I use this to go behind enemies, where they have no cover) and special ability where aiming through your sniper rifle's scope slows down time for two seconds. Other than that, it was pretty much like the others and I think that alone puts it ahead of Mass Effect 1.

As for things like Character Developement, I'm not a big fan of that. I'm all for cusomizing but progression just seems unbalanced.

I agree, all games have stats and attributes, and that will never change, but in other genres they keep them under the hood and the Player can change or manipulate them, they are static and seemingly non-existant. It allows one to analyze scenarios more practically than statistically.

Well thats just me. Everybody has a few of their own features they would like to change. I wonder if Project Spark lets you do that.

Yeah the story was great , no doubt , BUT not the best story of the franchise ," Story" is not jus narrative , it should be perfect in all aspect then u can refer to it as a great story , u see in the ME2 everything was great about the story not just the narrative or sth , i seriously didn't like the character developments in ME3 ,actually in comparison to ME2 it was so poor!

Recall the last mission of Mass Effect 2 , it was epic , it was thrilling , it had an incredible conclusion to all the stuff that u had done during the game play , so streamlined , without any confusion and being like "what the hell happend?" !

Mass Effect 3 was just all about narrative , when it comes to story. it had a better game play but man " Story is the soul of a game" , especially in this genre ,

Is the most emo and whiny cast I have seen in any game. I avoiding the entire cast and try to get by without talking to them.

Oh yeah?! EMO?! c'mon man seriously "whiny" ? what the hell does that suppose to mean ?

First, i need to know your ideal "Character Developments Criteria" , name a game or sh that you think had done a great n compelling job in that are ....

@Lulu_Lulu , In ME2 we were dealing with a great character called Illusive man , which i believe devs really pulled it off in making him a man with pride n dignity .....he actually was the big deal ,not some lame alien shits

"Character Developments Criteria" What is the point to talk about that when you talk about ME2? There is none in the game. The only amount is from Jake between the second and third game. The rest of the time they just sit around their corn of the ship and brood.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ wiouds

They did have good Characters. Not to mention Mass Effect 1 had its fair share of mediocre characters, Like Kaiden and Liara. Kaiden was so empty and lacked personality, that the only time I managed to get a rise out of him was when he found out I was two timing him with Liara. I get that liara is young and somewhat anti-social (towards different species) but she was much better as the Vengefull Information Broker in ME2 than she was a the Innocent Scientist in ME1. However her character came a long way in ME3, particularly when she made those "Black Boxes" to send throughout the galaxy. That really moved me. And lets not forget Sovereign, look I get the appeal of a villain so powerfull that he's beyond comprehension, but thats just a lazy cop out not to come up with a better anagonist. Saren was good though.

Miranda, Jack, Jacob, Samara, Thane, Grunt and Legion are also just as good as any of the other characters you meet in ME1 despite your short time with them, although I didn't like Jacob's "follower" mentality. Thane, Jack, Grunt, and Especially Legion brought good Diversity to the team aswell.

ME2 had a shitty villain though. Even though Saren was a Reaper puppet, he had depth and was a totall contrast to the zombie like collecters. But Harbinger and Sovereign were both Equally stupid, Infact this whole Reaper bullshit was bound to end in disaster.

But where ME1 had Saren, ME2 had TIM. I know he wasn't a villain and has zero backstory, but he's definately a legitmate character. He's mysteriousness is downplayed instead of emphasized throughout the game and this helps in the long run compared Sovereign's Arrogance, its cool in the beginning but the novelty wears off as he only speaks once throughout the whole game.

I strongly agree with you, especially about the characters in 2. If you actually talked Thane and the rest, they really had meaningful stories. Legion came a long way in 3.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

@udubdawgz1 said:

independent survey: how many of you people played creed1 without a hud all the way through? serious question with serious consequences unlike typical yap against quality gameplay.

Nice survey. While I am pretty sure that you will shun the feature, may I ask if you used the map with the guard positions and routes to your targets during assassination missions?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@wiouds said:

@mjorh said:

@wiouds said:

@mjorh said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ mjorh

@ udUbdaWgz1

"Character Developments Criteria" What is the point to talk about that when you talk about ME2? There is none in the game. The only amount is from Jake between the second and third game. The rest of the time they just sit around their corn of the ship and brood.

You didn't get my point , anyway u tell me a good game that "characterization" is its strong suit in your opinion

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Mass Effect 1 was.ME2 was also great in it's own way even though it felt more like a shooter.1 had the best story and felt like an action rpg,2 had a better and bigger cast but played like a shooter.

3 is an abomination that shouldn't have happened.MP in an RPG what a joke.....

mullen15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#63 mullen15
Member since 2005 • 708 Posts

I finished my play though of Mass Effect 2 and I am working on beating ME3. I skipped ME1 all together it's unplayable to me now.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 wiouds

@mjorh said:

@wiouds said:

@mjorh said:

@wiouds said:

@mjorh said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ mjorh

@ udUbdaWgz1

You didn't get my point , anyway u tell me a good game that "characterization" is its strong suit in your opinion

Well, DA2 has better character than ME2.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#65 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Mass Effect 1, the gameplay was inferior to the rest of the series, but that's it. Everything else was better, the squad, the story, the villains, everything, i'll never forget the first time I was told "Hey, you gotta leave someone here to die", and been forced to choose between two of my squadmates, none of the choices in the other Mass Effect games where as tough as that.

Mass Effect 2 was a vast improvement for the gameplay, but the whole game was just your squad whining about there random petty problems which are apparently more important than saving the Universe.

As for Mass Effect 3. It's hard to say, I kinda need to go through it again, when I played it I was going through a tough time, so I didn't really pay full attention to it, plus I kept hearing that the ending sucked (which it did), so I just played it for the sake of playing it and never even gave myself a chance to enjoy it. I did like the multiplayer though, I was shocked at how good that was.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#66 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Mass Effect 2 had amazing characters. Mass Effect 1 had exploration. Mass Effect 3 had an emotional elevator scene.

hshaidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 hshaidar
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Mass Effect 3. Best gameplay, therefor, best game !

i agree with this. :)

widdowson91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

User Lists: 7

#68 widdowson91
Member since 2008 • 1249 Posts

The third one is my least favourite, and there's certain elements that Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 both do better than each other. I think Mass Effect has the better individual story of all three games, and it's most definitely the most RPG like. But I'm a stickler for game play, and the combat severely lacks. Mass Effect 2 was a vast improvement over the original in terms of game play, and the mood was toned down and it focused more on the interaction between the characters. But it's story wasn't as good as the first game. Overall I would say Mass Effect 2 is my favourite because it felt a lot more fluid to play and it didn't feel as much like a dedicated shooter as the third game, but that doesn't meant to say it's the best across all areas.

LordDagon9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 LordDagon9000

Mass Effect 2 was by far my favourite, followed by Mass Effect, then Mass Effect 3.

ME2 has the most character development, the most characters you can have in your team, the most influence you can have on the Normandy, e.g. Getting upgrades and scanning planets, and very gripping action from start to finish.

There was a wider range of romance options, and the chemistry in the team was well thought out. The return of old favourites from Mass Effect was a joy to see.

As for Mass Effect 3, i found it too short, a lot of the features from the previous games were removed, the dialogue options were limited, and above all, there were no krogan squadmates (without DLC).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#70 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@lorddagon9000 said:

Mass Effect 2 was by far my favourite, followed by Mass Effect, then Mass Effect 3.

ME2 has the most character development, the most characters you can have in your team, the most influence you can have on the Normandy, e.g. Getting upgrades and scanning planets, and very gripping action from start to finish.

There was a wider range of romance options, and the chemistry in the team was well thought out. The return of old favourites from Mass Effect was a joy to see.

As for Mass Effect 3, i found it too short, a lot of the features from the previous games were removed, the dialogue options were limited, and above all, there were no krogan squadmates (without DLC).

I think you are right on the money here. I didn't think ME 3 was too short though. But i would have liked to see more playable characters. That's the only gripe i had

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#71 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Mass Effect 2.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 wiouds

@lorddagon9000: Why do you like that cast? I still do not understand why some many like that cast from ME2. None of them are that important to the story. Most of them are the same with only back ground changed.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 udUbdaWgz1
Member since 2014 • 633 Posts

@wiouds:

I agree. in fact, the character development and their importance in me2 is undeniably less than in the first. the characters are more just typical archetypes to fill a desired need by the devs.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#74 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I never played the series, but my younger brother is very vocal on his opinion of it.

He loves the first game, absolutely despises the second game, and likes the third.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Mass Effect 1 is the better RPG. Mass Effect 2 is the better Third Person Shooter. Personally I prefer RPGs.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 udUbdaWgz1

@Flubbbs said:

Mass Effect 1 is the better RPG. Mass Effect 2 is the better Third Person Shooter. Personally I prefer RPGs.

imo, your comment sums up the answer to the question and I agree.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 wiouds

@Flubbbs said:

I want both balance and working together. There are better third person shooter than Mass Effect 2.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By udUbdaWgz1

@wiouds:

oh, without a doubt. in fact, there's no reason why mass effect 2 couldn't have further developed the rpg aspect while making it an even better cover shooter with upgrades. and, instead, they went with mediocrity on all accounts.

typical of bioware, after playing their games I am not at all satisfied.

in fact, it's why after playing it a very short bit i'm in no hurry to fire up da:origins.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#79 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Mass Effect 2.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

2 had the perfect balance between action and RPG for me. It also had the best story by some distance.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#81 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

As outstanding as ME3 was, I don't think it properly dealt with all of it's characters properly. it focused on some while side-lining others. E.G. Harbinger and most of the former ME2 squad.

So, ME2 gets my vote purely for the strength of it's character development.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#82 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Hmmm, I'm torn between ME1 and ME2, but having read through this thread I see a lot of good points being made so I think I'll have to go with ME2. While I was a little bit annoyed by the streamlining of the RPG elements and the removal of the Mako (yes, I realize that I'm totally alone on missing the Mako), the improved graphics and handling, the loyalty missions, the sheer number of choices that carried over from ME1, and the impressive array of possible end-game scenarios really do put it over the top.

-Byshop

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#83 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Mass effect 2

PrincePrem2k14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 PrincePrem2k14

ME2 for gameplay and ME1 for story.

I voted ME2.

udUbdaWgz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 udUbdaWgz1

i'm amazed that people can even call mass2 a rpg in any way. it is not. it is a 3rd person cover shooter with upgrades.

and, mass1 barely reaches the threshold for being called one.j

it certainly lets me know why we have so very few actual rpg's and why games are so dumbed-down.

cmon witcher3.......

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#87 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Well I've just beat ME2 for the 2nd time and I have to say I enjoyed it immensely.

Everything I didn't like about ME1, they fixed in 2.

I enjoyed the characters and felt way more involved with them than just having them to select for each mission. (Thane is my fav)

I thought the story was excellent as well. Starting the ME3 tonight, we'll see how it goes.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 wiouds

@bowchicka07 said:

Well I've just beat ME2 for the 2nd time and I have to say I enjoyed it immensely.

Everything I didn't like about ME1, they fixed in 2.

I enjoyed the characters and felt way more involved with them than just having them to select for each mission. (Thane is my fav)

I thought the story was excellent as well. Starting the ME3 tonight, we'll see how it goes.

They did add good things to the second game but they remove more of what I like about the first one.

I still can not find a reason to like the characters and I found the worse cast I see in any game.

ranbir_flame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#89 ranbir_flame
Member since 2006 • 415 Posts

The Ending of Mass Effect 3 ruined the experience for me. It had the best from ME and ME2 but the ending really affected my judgement.