What sort of awards do you like in games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Trophies, achievements, ribbons, medals... call them what you will most games seem to have objective based rewards these days. What sort of rewards do you like?

Do you like them ridiculously easy so they boost your score (but don't earn much respect)?

Do you like them ridonkulously difficult but carrying with them a pile of respect for those that see it?

Do you like grinding achievements like Seriously 2.0 or Final Fantasy 13?

Single Player? Multi player? Story based? Ones you need to hunt for?

What do you like?

shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

Ones that i felt i earn (beating a level for example) but not things that has to do with collecting like the infamous shard and ac2 feathers

awesomeray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 awesomeray
Member since 2009 • 2880 Posts
i like one with funny names like in god of war you get one called "get me a beer kid" when you get out of hell
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

I like 'random' awards that deal with some obscure thing you can do during the game. If they have a funny name too, that helps.
Like the acheivement in Fable 2 that was to shoot a bunny.

Having one for beating the hardest modes are good too.

snottern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 snottern
Member since 2008 • 29 Posts

hate grinding achievements(although i do have the feathers in ac2)

good achievements are a challenge, while not being inaccomplishable

Sindri0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sindri0x
Member since 2006 • 211 Posts

hate grinding achievements(although i do have the feathers in ac2)

good achievements are a challenge, while not being inaccomplishable

snottern

Same here.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the God of War achievements....I specifically remember one called "I didn't do it.....but I wish I did!" when you *cough* splatter a naked lady *cough* . Disturbing, but funny. Especially the 'Hooker' one.

testfactor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 testfactor888
Member since 2010 • 7157 Posts
Ones that actually earn me something in game that matters. I don't care about achievements or trophies that do not give me anything. That was why when I was playing WoW till recently I enjoyed their achievement system as it gave you actual in game rewards for some of them
snottern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 snottern

well, the uplay system for the newer ubisoft actually awards you with in game content. so that would fit your criterias well

whisperingmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whisperingmute
Member since 2006 • 1116 Posts

Rewards that give incentive to replay the game.

Dollar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Dollar75
Member since 2006 • 718 Posts

I like progressive trophies, ones that reward you for every boss or level you've beaten. I wasn't a fan of the trophy system in Uncharted 2, like kill 200 people with a magnum, kill 100 people with shotgun etc. It makes me play the game differently than what I would normally play it to gain a trophy and I'm not a fan

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts
I don't really know, I kind of like them all wether they're easy, hard, reward you with in-game bonuses, or are simple progression ones I find them all enjoyable to try to go after. If I really had to pick a favourite I guess I would pick ones that reward you for doing things outside of normal gameplay and/or do creative things.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chickan_117

@Archangel3371 - Wow, you actually paid for one of those Gears3 T-shirts eh? I reckon they shoulda given them away for free (maybe as an award for finishing GoW2 ;) ). Off topic I know but why do you want to save Carmine? I love the way he dies in each game. In the third they just need to give him an orange parker and muffle his speech and we're set :D

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I don't like awards of any type in games. I would rather devs focus on content and gameplay than artificial, feel good stuff. If you dev/publisher is going to give away in game content for completing something, why not just include it to begin with?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Chickan_117

I don't like awards of any type in games. I would rather devs focus on content and gameplay than artificial, feel good stuff. If you dev/publisher is going to give away in game content for completing something, why not just include it to begin with?

WhiteKnight77

For the same reason many games require you to play thru a game on lower difficulties before offering the harder ones.It's a free reward for playing the game and designed to keep you playing it longer. I don't think any devs actually waste a great deal of times on achievements/trophies/etc so you don't really have anything to worry about right now :) Rewards alone won't sell a game so you won't see that becoming a detrimental focus any time soon IMO.

Bladecutter56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bladecutter56
Member since 2006 • 2081 Posts

Ones that actually earn me something in game that matters. I don't care about achievements or trophies that do not give me anything. That was why when I was playing WoW till recently I enjoyed their achievement system as it gave you actual in game rewards for some of themtestfactor888

That's exactly what I like in awards, actual game content. I don't care if my gamerscore increases or not, I'm not going to go out of my way to get 100% of my achievements. I just want game content, secret stuff, things like that.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

Chickan_117

For the same reason many games require you to play thru a game on lower difficulties before offering the harder ones.It's a free reward for playing the game and designed to keep you playing it longer. I don't think any devs actually waste a great deal of times on achievements/trophies/etc so you don't really have anything to worry about right now :) Rewards alone won't sell a game so you won't see that becoming a detrimental focus any time soon IMO.

So you are telling me you would rather have rewards over SADS or direct IP connection capabilities? I don't remember right, but, the new MoH will be released without SADS support and is a big complaint amongst some gamers. This is what I am talking about, Instead of spending time on fluff, spend time on what many consider to be essential, especially if a game is MP focused.

I can't say that I have ever played a game that required me to play at a lower difficulty level and be rewarded before I could play the hardest levels. That does not mean that they are not out there, just that I haven't played one.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chickan_117

So you are telling me you would rather have rewards over SADS or direct IP connection capabilities? I don't remember right, but, the new MoH will be released without SADS support and is a big complaint amongst some gamers. This is what I am talking about, Instead of spending time on fluff, spend time on what many consider to be essential, especially if a game is MP focused.WhiteKnight77

Don't take my post out of context, that's not what I'm saying at all! I'm saying that I doubt developers spend much time on awards and would seriously doubt they'd do it to the detriment of gameplay. You're MoH reference is only relevant if you can prove that they have excluded this content in favor of awards or something like that.

If that werethe case then I would agree,award development shouldn't be done in place of gameplay orientated development. It's not the case though.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#18 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

I like a good ending as a reward for beating the game. That's the oly reward I want.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chickan_117

I like a good ending as a reward for beating the game. That's the oly reward I want.

BuryMe

Don't play Borderlands then. Kickarse game but terrible end.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

@Archangel3371 - Wow, you actually paid for one of those Gears3 T-shirts eh? I reckon they shoulda given them away for free (maybe as an award for finishing GoW2 ;) ). Off topic I know but why do you want to save Carmine? I love the way he dies in each game. In the third they just need to give him an orange parker and muffle his speech and we're set :D

Chickan_117
Well the t-shirt only cost 80 MS points which is $1 real money and plus all proceeds go to charity. I'd like to see this Carmine live because the previous 2 have died so killing off this one is too obvious plus I'd like to see this one portrayed as more of the tough hero kind as well, for a change of pace.
snottern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 snottern

[QUOTE="Chickan_117"]

Archangel3371

Well the t-shirt only cost 80 MS points which is $1 real money and plus all proceeds go to charity. I'd like to see this Carmine live because the previous 2 have died so killing off this one is too obvious plus I'd like to see this one portrayed as more of the tough hero kind as well, for a change of pace.

I think they're planing on making him hardcore anyway. From the photos i've seen and the talk about him being "the big brother"

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chickan_117

Well the t-shirt only cost 80 MS points which is $1 real money and plus all proceeds go to charity. I'd like to see this Carmine live because the previous 2 have died so killing off this one is too obvious plus I'd like to see this one portrayed as more of the tough hero kind as well, for a change of pace.Archangel3371
Oh yeah, I forgot about the charity thing, maybe I'll buy one after all.

andalore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 andalore
Member since 2007 • 2644 Posts

I dont care if the game gives out decent achievements, I just want the game to make me feel good when I win and to me and not give me a hard time if I lose, Toy Story 3 is a great example of this If I lost I just respawned again, it reassured me that i could do better on my next time, and when i won it made a big deal about it.

Games with interent slang annoy me too, because when I die I dont want the word 'Fail' to appear on the screen, i failed I know, I dont need a lump of plastic to tell me that.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 WhiteKnight77

Don't take my post out of context, that's not what I'm saying at all! I'm saying that I doubt developers spend much time on awards and would seriously doubt they'd do it to the detriment of gameplay. You're MoH reference is only relevant if you can prove that they have excluded this content in favor of awards or something like that.

If that werethe case then I would agree,award development shouldn't be done in place of gameplay orientated development. It's not the case though.

Chickan_117

Did you ever play Rainbow Six Vegas? I know this is one game that featured a reward system, the PEC setup. You could unlock weapons and different character enhancements (I saw many screens of people with Capt. America masks and Ali G. camouflage being worn due to it) with it. Was it popular? Yes, but complaints about the game were rampant, bugs and lack of gameplay alike. This is another example of what I was referring to and the PEC was a big thing for Ubi to brag about and that was one of the first things they talked about when they first started talking about Vegas.

I will agree, not all publishers/developers will focus just on reward systems, but I see more and more games featuring such things. This thread is another in a long line of threads discussing the same thing. If gamers are so hung up on rewards and such, what do you think developers and publishers are going to do?

meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts
While i like easy ones (just beating a level, just beating a game, things you do "naturally," as it were), they certainly don't feel special. The ones that require doing certain actions, aquiring certain items, or obtaining certain scores, all out of the norm of a simple play-through, are the most satisfying. Multiplayer awards are the worst, because they force me to do something i prefer not doing - playing with other human beings.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i like trophies that arent ridiculous tangents (like collecting a million hidden objects and the only reward is a trophy), but still add to the game. for instance, you get a trophy called "stick around" in kz2 for using the bolt gun to harpoon a certain number of enemies to walls. its an amusing gun for the brief time its available and id want to use it anyway. getting a ridiculous schwarzenegger quote for doing it is a fun bonus.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#27 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I absolutely hate the 'find all arbitrary objects' achievement. Most of them are not even realistic if you're not using a walkthrough, and using a walkthrough to guide you through the whole game is not what I'd classify as fun.

I generally don't care about achievements asI see them as a bad way of trying to stretch a game's length, but I do like these achievements you get for completing weird tasks. Yesterday, for example, I got an achievement in Half-Life 2 for killing someone with a toilet using the Gravity Gun.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chickan_117

Did you ever play Rainbow Six Vegas? I know this is one game that featured a reward system, the PEC setup. You could unlock weapons and different character enhancements (I saw many screens of people with Capt. America masks and Ali G. camouflage being worn due to it) with it. Was it popular? Yes, but complaints about the game were rampant, bugs and lack of gameplay alike. This is another example of what I was referring to and the PEC was a big thing for Ubi to brag about and that was one of the first things they talked about when they first started talking about Vegas.

I will agree, not all publishers/developers will focus just on reward systems, but I see more and more games featuring such things. This thread is another in a long line of threads discussing the same thing. If gamers are so hung up on rewards and such, what do you think developers and publishers are going to do?

WhiteKnight77

Fair call and a very good example. Especially topical as I'm playing thru Conivction at the moment and started looking at the PECrequirements just last night. :)

I understand what you're saying about focusing on the elements that "sell" the game rather than making the core experience perfect. It's the exact reason motion control and movie tie in games sell so well but are, generally, rubbish. Hopefully devs will still concentrate on making great games and view ll this stuff as secondary and, if they do add it, won't do it to the detriment of the game.

One last comment on the RSV topic. I actually never experienced any problems with either Vegas game. Both ran smoothly in both single player and multiplayer modes (coop and vs). I also enjoyed the gameplay style as it encouraged a little more strategy than normal shooters and felt different to the cookie cuter titles out there. I know I'm probably in the minority there tho :)

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhiteKnight77

Several years ago, I tried the demo level for Lockdown. I knew then that the Rainbow Six series was in a down hill slide worse than what Raven Shield was. The whole reason I wanted a PC to begin with was Rainbow Six. It had gameplay that won awards besides defining the genre to begin with. Now, 10 years later, those of us old school R6 gamers miss the strategy that it oozed. Sure, missions may have lasted minutes, but if you sat down and planned a mission, once could spend hours playing each takedown or hostage rescue trying to get their plan right, not to mention the one thing no other game did, if a team member died, he was not available for the rest of the campaign, not to mention, there was a real time aspect to the game, you couldn't play mission after mission after mission in one night, you needed a week to allow team members to rest. If a team member was injured, it would take longer for said team member to heal.

Now R6 has regen health and seemingly endless enemies along with that PEC system. I can't fault you if you enjoy the newer versions, just know that they are 100% different from where the franchise started from.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chickan_117

My first experience with the R6 games was Ravenshield unfortunately. I loved the novel but hadn't been able to afford the game back when it was released. Anyway I got a copy of Ravenshield with a graphics card (or was it a sound card) and wasn't overly impressed. Certainly not enough to lure me away from CS Source :)

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WhiteKnight77

I would bet you got RvS when you bought an Audigy 2 ZS as that is how I got my copy of it (and only played for about 10 minutes). I bought the Gamer version as it came with SC with the 3 levels that we PC gamers here in the States didn't get (XBox and UK PC gamers got them). I vowed to never buy RvS after trying the demo and having sound problems, which ironcially, Ubi still has problems with even now with Vegas/2 (sound loops).

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
I like achievements for beating sidequests and using a certain item or weapon a certain amount of time because it lets you explore a game more and not be too hard or tedious to get. Also I like when you get gamerpictures or avatar awards too.
Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#33 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts

I like having a mix of easy achievements (to boost my GamerScore) and some hard ones (to add longevity and to have something to strive for).

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chickan_117

I would bet you got RvS when you bought an Audigy 2 ZS as that is how I got my copy of it (and only played for about 10 minutes). I bought the Gamer version as it came with SC with the 3 levels that we PC gamers here in the States didn't get (XBox and UK PC gamers got them). I vowed to never buy RvS after trying the demo and having sound problems, which ironcially, Ubi still has problems with even now with Vegas/2 (sound loops).

WhiteKnight77

That sounds right (no pun intended) as that's the sound card I bought. How very astute :D