What's your favorite Far Cry game?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By gamerguru100

Poll What's your favorite Far Cry game? (47 votes)

Far Cry 17%
Far Cry 2 13%
Far Cry 3 55%
Far Cry 4 26%

I have FC2, 3, & 4. Never played the first one.

My opinion on FC2: It's an okay game; I really have to be in the mood to play it. It sometimes feels like a chore to play the game due to the constant driving and mission repetitiveness. The crappy Killzone 2-esque aiming and bullet sponge enemies don't help either. The Jackal isn't really interesting. Everything seems to be a shade of brown. Both endings suck since you die in either one.

My opinion on FC3: A huge step up from FC2 gameplay-wise. A wide variety of weapons, less driving than FC2, better aiming sensitivity, better side quests, a few badass villains, more mission variety, and the ability to kill an enemy without unloading half a mag makes this a much better game than its predecessor. I just wish Vaas had more screen time instead of being killed in a shitty QTE halfway in the campaign. At least one of the two endings this time is good.

My opinion on FC4: Some love it. Some hate it. Most agree that it's Far Cry 3.5. Regardless, I like the game. I like that Ajay Ghale is native to Kyrat since it makes him one with the setting. Far Cry 3's weapons return along with some new ones, including many more signature weapons, like the Buzzsaw, which is probably the most overpowered weapon in the history of video games. Driving is fun, but why drive when you can hop in the gyrocopter and rain death from above with the M79 grenade launcher? Missions are varied once more. Side quests are longer and more varied than Far Cry 3's. You can ride elephants...'nuff said. The biggest disappointment again, is the main villain not having much screen time. You barely see Pagan Min between the beginning and end. Hell, I think even Vaas had more screen time, and he was killed off in the middle of the game. There are three endings, one ending is the most realistic one but you forfeit playing the game to get it, and the other two suck. Otherwise FC4 is pretty decent.

My favorite: Hard to decide between FC3 and FC4. I'll call it a tie.

• 
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Thank you for agreeing with me that Killzone 2 has terrible controls.

On topic, I would have to say my favorite FarCry game is the first one, mostly because of how revolutionary it was when it first came out. It's still a joy to play even to this day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

3. Didn't give 1 a fair chance. And I hated 2.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

No problem.

Luckily, Killzone 3 has slightly better controls, but I have to agree with what Captain Price says in the first mission in Call of Duty 4: "That was an improvement, but it's not hard to improve on garbage".

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts
Loading Video...

Best Far Cry.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I have not played Far Cry 4, but it's a relative three-way tie between 2, 3 and Blood Dragon for me.

While 2 had less gameplay mechanics (i.e. no takedowns, etc) the survival aspect of the game really made me enjoy it. 3 and BD were just great games. 3 for the sandbox and BD for the goddamn hilarity of all the pop culture references.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:
Loading Video...

Best Far Cry.

That sums up my experience with that game. It's interesting for the time but as a game it's not good.

Blood Dragon was the best in the series.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

No problem.

Luckily, Killzone 3 has slightly better controls, but I have to agree with what Captain Price says in the first mission in Call of Duty 4: "That was an improvement, but it's not hard to improve on garbage".

My extremely unpopular review agrees with you.

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#8 gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Never played FC2 and 4 so it's FarCry 3 for me. Loved the good balance of stealth and action.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I've enjoyed all of them, but for some reason I have a soft spot for FC2. It definitely has some annoyances, but I just really enjoyed it. It felt a little bit more authentic, in a way. Idk, I just liked it.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

I had the most fun with FC2 but since you couldn't free roam after the last mission i think i'd have to go with FC3 because you just had free roam after the end and more wackyness...

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Far Cry games and I have a sort of love hate relationship.
I really liked the first half of the original Far Cry game, before the...you know..aggressive primates.
Far Cry 2 I liked the setting off but with the whole malaria thing, insanely fast respawning rate of check points and that everybody were after you regardless of who you worked for, really got on my nerves.
And in the last two games, Far Cry 3 and 4, the radio towards are grinding my gears like you wouldn't believe with how they will unlock the surrounding area, great, and then give you free weapons, not so great.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Far Cry 3

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10430 Posts

i'll go with the first. i liked the flow of the game i.e. large open areas that unfold as you progress as part of the campaign / storyline, as opposed to being plonked in a big map and being able to do missions as and when you feel like it like you can in the 3rd / 4th.

my only issue with the first was the difficulty, the eagle eyed enemies spotting you from miles away whilst you were in deep cover was particularly annoying. fortunately crytek fixed that in their next game crysis but ubi decided to carry it over into far cry 2 and in the process created one of the worst shooters i've ever played. after months of getting my hopes up, the crushing disappointment i felt after a few hours in far cry 2 still haunts me ;) and was all the more frustrating because a year earlier crysis had shown exactly how good open world shooters could be.

fc3 was pretty good but too assassin's creed for me i.e. quantity over quality, although i did enjoy the flamethrower mission with the damon marley and skrillex soundtrack. haven't played 4 because it just looks like more of the same as 3

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#15 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I still think that 3 is the best in the series so far. While I will give credit to 1 as being the first in the series, and being pretty ambitious as well for its time, it's obviously limited by it's age and really doesn't stand up to its modern followers, though to compare it with them wouldn't really be fair as far as graphics and scope go. That said, i feel like 2 was a bit disjointed and clumsy, even for it's time, and I really don't think I ever really found its gameplay to be super exciting, even when it was first released. As I said, 3 is what I believe to be the best, introducing a new and unique formula to the series, while still staying true to the series exotic roots. It reinvented the entire franchise, and brought the series up to par with other open world games, where it once mat have been overlooked. While I do enjoy 4, and it has possibly my favorite setting so far, I still think that, at it's base, it's still just a upscale imitation of 3, and no future game in the series will likely ever capture that sense of new wonderment that comes when you see a series really gain its footing and release a new and unique experience

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamerguru100

@waffleboy22 said:

I still think that 3 is the best in the series so far. While I will give credit to 1 as being the first in the series, and being pretty ambitious as well for its time, it's obviously limited by it's age and really doesn't stand up to its modern followers, though to compare it with them wouldn't really be fair as far as graphics and scope go. That said, i feel like 2 was a bit disjointed and clumsy, even for it's time, and I really don't think I ever really found its gameplay to be super exciting, even when it was first released. As I said, 3 is what I believe to be the best, introducing a new and unique formula to the series, while still staying true to the series exotic roots. It reinvented the entire franchise, and brought the series up to par with other open world games, where it once mat have been overlooked. While I do enjoy 4, and it has possibly my favorite setting so far, I still think that, at it's base, it's still just a upscale imitation of 3, and no future game in the series will likely ever capture that sense of new wonderment that comes when you see a series really gain its footing and release a new and unique experience

Well said.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

There are a lot more far cry games than that and my fav is farcry instincts predator, multiplayer was beyond epic and with the map editor it was a great console game. Of those 4 I suspect most people enjoy 3 or 4 better simply because there most modern. It'll probably be awhile be4 we see if they pass the test of time

Dragoon4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

#18 Dragoon4life
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts

Farcry 4 does not run properly on my PC freezing every 5 seconds, cannot play the game.

Due to that, out of 1/2/3.... 3 Is easily the best with 2 being the worst.

Spursnfeathers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Spursnfeathers
Member since 2015 • 34 Posts

FC3 was the best, disliked 2 also.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I've enjoyed all of them, but for some reason I have a soft spot for FC2. It definitely has some annoyances, but I just really enjoyed it. It felt a little bit more authentic, in a way. Idk, I just liked it.

I didn't like FC2 everything about the game pissed me off.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamerguru100

@sukraj said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah, it's really a chore to play that game. I really have to be in the mood to play it. FC3 is a ginormous step up from FC2.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

@Gaming-Planetn That dude's mic is way too loud. His annoying laugh doesn't help either.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@gamerguru100 said:

@sukraj said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Yeah, it's really a chore to play that game. I really have to be in the mood to play it. FC3 is a ginormous step up from FC2.

I also found the game to be very challenging I kept dying every few minutes lol.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Far cry 3

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

I enjoyed the first one the most, because A) it was pretty amazing back when it came out, and B) even though there was plenty of scope for exploration, there was still structure and purpose to your actions.

The later open-world games felt too aimless for my liking, and you always felt overpowered, as if the area was just your personal sandbox to play around in, rather than a dangerous warzone.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamerguru100

@sukraj said:

@gamerguru100 said:

@sukraj said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I also found the game to be very challenging I kept dying every few minutes lol.

Were you playing on Infamous difficulty? I don't think I want to even attempt to play on that difficulty with the constantly respawning enemies and shitty Killzone 2-like aiming.

I know that a lot of people like to think they're "hardcore" for playing through games on their hardest difficulty, but I don't like dying, so I usually play on easy and sometimes normal. I never like dying in games. It's a huge immersion breaker. I also like to play FC3 and FC4 without the reticle and aim assist turned off for added immersion. Although in FC4 I sometimes have the reticle because it's a bitch to use throwing knives w/o it. :(

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#27  Edited By jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I loved FarCry 3 and FarCry 4 (aka 3.5) has grown on me so am really enjoying it now. I never could get into FarCry 2 (never played FarCry 1) but I don't understand why Ubisoft got rid of the awesome menu/map ascetics from FarCry 2-that part was very immersive.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Far Cry 1

The only other one I played was 3 and I stopped a few hours in; just didn't grab me.

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

How can you start this not having played Far Cry 1 ?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Ah. Far Cry. No such thing as stealth in the game. Run n scoot, shoot, then scoot again quickly was the only way to play the game for me.

I haven't played Far Cry 2 yet.

Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4 seem pretty balanced between action and stealth to me. Too easy though even at the hardest setting. But, I love the free roam/Reset Outpost Mode after finishing the SP campaign.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@undefined: farcry 3 was the game i wished farcry2 was, but i still really enjoyed farcry2, only game i can think of where you have a mortar, plus the fact you could skip time forward so to do missions at night.

MARKER_1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#32 MARKER_1988
Member since 2015 • 102 Posts

Far Cry 4.

The elephant usage in wars is epic. The setting of Kyrat is more beautiful. Gyrocopters are fun to fly. Plus the missions in Himalayas requiring oxygen mask is a nice addition. Not much different from Far Cry 3, but still lot of fun.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

Haven't played 3 and 4. Have highly enjoyed both 1 and 2, but I think 1 was better.

shotalot69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shotalot69
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

farcry 1 AMAZING for its time, all i have is amazing memorys, but if i played today i dont think id feel the same.

if you say crysis was the improvement over farcry then i say yes graphicly, but whole mag bullet sponge ai???? naaaa, i would still play that game today if the ai took realistic amount of hits

farcry 2 was the nuts! it was clunky, it had maleria, but the setting, the gunplay, and the feel was special and when you got the ghillie and could actually sneak, the tenseness infiltrating a rebel camp with a silence pistol was second to non simply cus when they figured you out you was fucked!

but............... farcry 3 a god of a game, in too many ways i can describe, all my mates loved it and i would spend hours etting towers and pelts before even attempting the missions. vass was probs one of the best bad guys in vidio game history, even if he was killed off early, its a memory i will never forget

farcry 4...... meh dnt like the setting, the map, the bad guy was barley there, felt too copy and pasted from 3 with minimal good extras.

im 3 hours into primal, wow the developers took a leap and a big risk and i gotta say i love it, not my favourite, but as a way of mashing a tired old system up and making it seem new i gotta applaud them. they took the good of all of the series and put in one (minus the guns) and without guns they made it work pretty darn well and they nailed the atmosphere!. bloody,brutal and beautiful and a class tribal soundtrack. soooooo mu rating in order would have to be, and this is a hard one

farcry 3

farcry primal

farcry 2

farcry 1

farcry 4

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

I have played only 2 FC games: FC 2 & 3. I'm in minority but I prefer 2 over 3. Sure, 3 has improved some aspects over 2 like stealth, more wildlife ... but the main missions are corridor linear, a far cry (pun intended) from 2. The mercs are more fun: they chat, do a variety of different activities, when a guy is wounded, his comradres come carry him to safety, and the fire burns and spreas on grass was one of the coolest things in 2, especially at night. FC3 was fun but I lost interest after finishing it, whereas I'd play 2 through multiple times or load some save games to play.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

Where's primal? Primal is my favourite. Nothing like raiding an outpost with a sabretooth tiger by your side.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@joe_b1_kenobi said:

Where's primal? Primal is my favourite. Nothing like raiding an outpost with a sabretooth tiger by your side.

That's because this thread is 1yr old, Primal wasn't release during this thread creation and someone bump the thread which is why you don't see Primal on the list.

voyagesbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 voyagesbooth
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I love vice city game...

theWalker1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By theWalker1997
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

@voyagesbooth said:

I love vice city game...

I second that

Avatar image for smearygoose1768
SmearyGoose1768

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SmearyGoose1768
Member since 2016 • 297 Posts

I think you should add Primal to that list but then again you forgot Far Cry Instincts which was my first Far Cry game and I still remember the multiplayer aspect of the game. It was fun and the mutation theme hasn't been done again in a while.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#41 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58890 Posts

As much as nostalgia permits me to lean towards Cryteks original, it's Far Cry 4.

Far Cry 3 was a mostly enjoyable title, barring some niggles. The protagonists, as with many Ubisoft titles where incredibly dislikable. I'm not sure if they were trying to emulate The Beach, but it's difficult to root for rich, obnoxious Americans visiting a foreign land without fully understanding how it work, then instantly becoming the white savoir.

I liked that (for the most part) Far Cry 4 threw the player on the map placing narrative largely in the background.

Aside from that it expanded the armory significantly, adding ability for a more verticality style of play with optional COOP outposts, that were actually far more fun to try solo.

All the side stuff, hunting, collections, on the fly shootouts are generally just more fun.

Surprisingly as well, the DLC is really good. From The Tyranny Of King Washington and alike Ubisoft have shown they can make decent expansion pack level content when they put their mind to it.

So yea, as far as FPS goes, Far Cry 4 was probably the best of the generation so far for me, really enjoyable in short or long bursts.

mintz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mintz
Member since 2017 • 4 Posts

I like FC3.