What's the oldest game you've played recently?

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by anab0lic (271 posts) -

Baldurs gate 2, mario world, Zelda link to past, cannon fodder, rollercoaster tycoon, final fantasy 6 and 9.

#52 Posted by shaggyaz (2279 posts) -

MGS

#53 Posted by muthsera666 (13271 posts) -

@muthsera666 said:

@DaX_Factor said:

@muthsera666 said:

Shadow Man. It was just released on GOG.

One of the last good game made for the N64. Classic

For some reason I've always thought there wasn't much interest in the game. Happily, I've been seeing that I'm wrong in that understanding.

Yeah it did seem that way. Not a lot of people talk about it, even back when it was released

That's one of the reasons I was fairly surprised when it was released on GOG and read some of the comments and reviews. It seems it had a much larger following than I thought. I always loved the idea of the game, though I never did finish it on the N64.

#54 Edited by DaX_Factor (98 posts) -

@DaX_Factor said:

@muthsera666 said:

@DaX_Factor said:

@muthsera666 said:

Shadow Man. It was just released on GOG.

One of the last good game made for the N64. Classic

For some reason I've always thought there wasn't much interest in the game. Happily, I've been seeing that I'm wrong in that understanding.

Yeah it did seem that way. Not a lot of people talk about it, even back when it was released

That's one of the reasons I was fairly surprised when it was released on GOG and read some of the comments and reviews. It seems it had a much larger following than I thought. I always loved the idea of the game, though I never did finish it on the N64.

So let me ask you this: How does it hold up after all this time has passed? Your opinion.

#55 Posted by muthsera666 (13271 posts) -

@muthsera666 said:

So let me ask you this: How does it hold up after all this time has passed? Your opinion.

Honestly, I haven't made it that far since I started it again. I'm going to try to log some time on it tomorrow and make some progress, so I'll have to get back to you on that one. I'm still trying to get the controls figured out the rest of the way on the gamepad. I wish all games would just use the button names rather than the Button 1, 2, 3 stuff. I feel like an idiot sitting there pressing random buttons and then making notes on which does what.

#56 Edited by Butt_Chunx (15 posts) -

Ultima 8

#57 Posted by muthsera666 (13271 posts) -

At this point, I'm about 40 minutes in, and I've died 3 times. The controls are horrid on PC. Neither gamepad or kb/m work adequately. There's no camera movement other than the direction the character faces, and that means there is no vertical camera movement, which leads to a lot of deaths. Not to mention the extremely weak starting weapon, which might be manageable if not for the poor controls. I already have a mod for the visuals installed, so I need to do some more research into how to adjust controls and so forth.

Design-wise, I haven't seen too much yet, but the opening areas are a bit cramped and twisty-turny.

#58 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (701 posts) -

Been playing 4 player Goldeneye 007 with some friends. Fucking classic man.

#59 Edited by huerito323 (1371 posts) -

Played the original Tenchu: Stealth Assassins a few weeks ago. It's still as amazing a game as ever on a technical level. Visually it's atrocious- just... horridly ugly. The controls have no option to invert, and no scheme for dual analog control. The draw distance is about 12 feet in a game that revolves around complete situational awareness.

So in total it's an excellent game that's been given a horrible beatdown at the hands of time.

Yess! Tenchu Stealth Assassins is still my favorite ninja/stealth game ever, and one of my favorite games overall. It might not have aged very well, but one thing that I can definitely say is that the soundtrack is still one of the best!

Listen to it, and let the beauty of the music take you back in time.

#60 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

A couple of months ago I played some Spider-Man 2 on my PS2. The game is total crap except for the web-swinging mechanics, but the web-swinging mechanics are SO good that I like to boot it up every once in a while just to take a spin around fake Manhattan and jump off the Empire State Building to see if I can catch a web-line right before making Spidey into concrete pizza. Fun times.

It's been a while, but I also enjoy firing up the old SSX games on the PS2 or Xbox every once in a while. But it was at least a year ago since the last time I did that.

#63 Posted by voljin1987 (675 posts) -

Myst. Stay away. Its terrible

#64 Posted by Leftel (93 posts) -

I just finished Broken Sword and started Broken Sword 2 (:

#65 Posted by Alucard_Inoue (8 posts) -

What game is older than Chess. Heh heh. I played Primal Rage on the SNES awhile ago.

#66 Posted by Caseytappy (2111 posts) -

Donpachi on an Aero City arcade machine the way it should be played !

#67 Edited by Eikichi-Onizuka (8020 posts) -

Played Golden Axe and Streets of Rage over the weekend.

#68 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

Still playing Genma Onimusha, i'm at the part were that doll showed up.

Oh God. I love the atmosphere and the combat is fantastic, but the camera combined with the tank controls make the game frustratingly difficult at certain times. I died at the fist boss around 6 times, and to escape that doll is seemingly impossible.

I already have a couple of other ridiculously difficult games in my backlog (Otogi & Ninja Gaiden Black), and they're starting to break my balls in turns.

#69 Posted by ZEYAAM898 (1921 posts) -

Track Mania 2: Canyons

#70 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

Continued on with my playtrough of Dragon Quest V, after about a week break. I'm at the part were my father died.

The more i play it, the more in love i get with the storytelling and the plot, it's such a unique experience seeing the characters grow with me, beholding how everything changes around me. I highly recommend it to any gamer that wants a different perspective on JRPGs, and JRPG fans in general.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite JRPGs ever, and my favorite on the SNES (yes, far above the brilliance of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI).

#71 Posted by PyratRum (525 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

Continued on with my playtrough of Dragon Quest V, after about a week break. I'm at the part were my father died.

The more i play it, the more in love i get with the storytelling and the plot, it's such a unique experience seeing the characters grow with me, beholding how everything changes around me. I highly recommend it to any gamer that wants a different perspective on JRPGs, and JRPG fans in general.

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite JRPGs ever, and my favorite on the SNES (yes, far above the brilliance of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI).

Dragon Quest V is absolutely fantastic, and one of my favorite RPGs. Played it for the first on the DS (remake) a couple of years ago but I'm sure the SNES version is just as timeless.

#72 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

@Lucianu said:

Dragon Quest V is absolutely fantastic, and one of my favorite RPGs. Played it for the first on the DS (remake) a couple of years ago but I'm sure the SNES version is just as timeless.

The SNES version is tight on production values because it was one of the first RPGs for the SNES, the graphics aren't as good as Chrono Trigger, for example, which came out years later, but i still love it. Such an amazing game with fantastic characters and a breath taking sense of discovery and adventure.

The soundtrack of DQV, on the other hand, takes full advantage of the SNES chip, producing some exquisite soundtracks.

DQVI and the DQIII SNES remake are the ones with fantastic sprite graphics, so i'm gonna get on them once i finish V. After i get a 3DS, the DS remake of DQV is gonna be my first purchase, since it's BC with the DS.

#73 Posted by lilasianwonder (5960 posts) -

Final Fantasy 12.

#74 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

The original Fallout, an oldie but godamn a goodie.

#75 Posted by Flubbbs (2796 posts) -

bought Baldur's Gate enhanced version on steam a few months back

#76 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1266 posts) -

True that.

I'm looking forward to what Fargo and Co do with Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenéra.

#77 Edited by TAMKFan (32701 posts) -

A couple of the earlier Mega Man games about a month ago.

#78 Edited by loafofgame (370 posts) -

Sid Meier's Civilization. I find that most older games that do not rely on 3D are very replayable...

#79 Posted by VintAge68 (387 posts) -

Grandia, which I bought for 3.50 in the PSStore and downloaded to the PS Vita.

#80 Posted by vaperist (6 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: Yes, i second that, great game I play it over again and again.

#81 Posted by Namgis (3570 posts) -

Bionic Commando, '09. After that it will be Lair then Conan.

#82 Edited by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@GodModeEnabled said:

True that.

I'm looking forward to what Fargo and Co do with Wasteland 2 and Tides of Numenéra.

I'm familiar with the wasteland 2 project but know nothing of Tides Of Numenera. brb google.

Edit> Whoa I am sold.

#83 Posted by Revixe06 (1021 posts) -

Started playing through Final Fantasy IX again. Good times.

#84 Posted by Sparky04 (3383 posts) -

ADOM - Ancient Domain of Mysteries It was first released in 1991 for PC I think. It got updated pretty recently so I'm playing it again.

#85 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Fallout 3, what a great game, mods make it even better.

#86 Edited by withe1982 (450 posts) -

Earthbound on the SNES (1994)... Well on a SNES emulator on my mobile.

#87 Posted by benleslie5 (7691 posts) -

Super Mario Land 2 (Gameboy)

#88 Edited by WickedChainy (285 posts) -

I recently got Final Fantasy 7 on steam and started playing through that again. I have the PS1 version, but wanted to try out the PC version and get achievements.

#89 Posted by ohaifrancy (126 posts) -

The legend of zelda: A link to the past on SNES :D

#90 Edited by touchscreenpad (220 posts) -

Contra...the first one. :D

#91 Posted by DanishSnow (67 posts) -

Thief 2.

#92 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1295 posts) -

GTA San Andreas (with mods)

#93 Posted by juboner (338 posts) -

dragon warrior 4 on nes

#94 Posted by BigCat2K20 (245 posts) -

Golden Axe

#95 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15732 posts) -

Space Cadet Pinball, Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far, and Quake 2

#96 Posted by Sushiglutton (5171 posts) -

Played through Max Payne 1 and PoP: SoT a couple of months ago. Neither has aged with dignity sadly. I dunno, I find it hard to enjoy old games. It's not the graphics, it's how clunky the gameplay feels compared to modern standards. I did replay A Link to The Past a year ago or so and that is actually a game that does hold up imo.

#97 Posted by bob_toeback (11267 posts) -

Donkey Kong Country. To be honest, that's basically the only thing I play, other than Fallout: New Vegas...

#98 Posted by kingcrimson24 (372 posts) -

playing the orange box , its kinda old

#99 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

Played through Max Payne 1 and PoP: SoT a couple of months ago. Neither has aged with dignity sadly. I dunno, I find it hard to enjoy old games. It's not the graphics, it's how clunky the gameplay feels compared to modern standards. I did replay A Link to The Past a year ago or so and that is actually a game that does hold up imo.

What's clunky about them? Though i am curious to know what version of them you played.

#100 Posted by buccomatic (1941 posts) -

resident evil: code veronica - still awesome!