What RPG should I start playing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mingochicken (2 posts) -

So usually i'll be playing about 4 games at the same time, but right now i'm about half way done with both Ni No Kuni and Jade Empire and playing nothing else. I'm getting a little bored with just two games, so I think I wanna start another RPG. Does anybody have any recommendations? Preferably a JRPG also, I'm kind of getting sick of westerns right now.

To give you an idea, some games I really like are: Chrono Trigger/Cross, Persona 3/4, SMT: Nocturne, Zelda games (i count them as rpgs)

#2 Edited by amalager (87 posts) -

I have Mana Khemia on my PSP at the moment and I'm re-playing Valkyria Chronicles II. For MMORPG, I just tried Eclipse War but I'm going back to my faves Dragon Nest and Ragnarok Online.

#3 Posted by blamix99 (1540 posts) -

try Demon Souls

#4 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

Final Fantasy 13-3: She's back.

#5 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16402 posts) -

What systems do you have? That'd help narrow it down a bit.

#6 Posted by Ryagan (484 posts) -

Give one of the Tales games a try! Try out Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces f, or Tales of Xillia. My first Tales game was Tales of Vesperia, and I've been hooked on the series ever since. I actually just ordered a PS3 so I could play the other Tales games.

#7 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16402 posts) -

@Ryagan said:

Give one of the Tales games a try! Try out Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces f, or Tales of Xillia. My first Tales game was Tales of Vesperia, and I've been hooked on the series ever since. I actually just ordered a PS3 so I could play the other Tales games.

There's also Tales of the Abyss on 3DS or PS2. GREAT game.

#8 Posted by mingochicken (2 posts) -

I don't really play mmos at all and i'm not really interested in starting haha.

For systems, i've got every major Nintendo system/handheld, ps1/2/3, genesis, saturn, dreamcast, and an original xbox.

And yeah maybe I'll look into the Tales games a little bit

#9 Posted by Ryagan (484 posts) -

@Ryagan said:

There's also Tales of the Abyss on 3DS or PS2. GREAT game.

I should have included that one! I love Tales of the Abyss--maybe not as much as the other Tales games, but it's still really good. I actually just ordered a PS3 and Tales of Graces f, and I'm really excited to play it. I'll get Xillia after I beat Graces f.

#10 Posted by abaramuchi (25 posts) -

I'm playing The Last Story right now on Wii, and I'm really digging it. Enjoyable characters and story, and the combat system really shines. It's like Mass Effect meets Zelda (it works surprisingly well for a "Final Fantasy" game) and the bosses are very Zeldaesque.

#11 Posted by Mesomorphin (739 posts) -

Try the Fallout games dude! or if thats not your taste maybe try Tales of Vesperia? its colourful! or hell, South park stick of truth is coming out in a few days and thats got some wicked old school turnbased RPG goodness in it!

#12 Edited by locus-solus (477 posts) -
  • Okami HD more of a adventure than a rpg but it's very similar to Zelda!
  • Demon's Souls/Dark Souls while they're rpgs from japan they're not Traditional JRPG they play like western rpgs
  • Valkyria Chronicles
#13 Posted by Metamania (11955 posts) -

If you love turn-based RPGs, I recommend looking for a game called Lost Odyssey, for Xbox 360. It's one of the best RPGs out there, IMO. Old-school FF with a great storyline. Highly recommended!

#14 Posted by sukraj (21641 posts) -

skyrim

or demon souls

#15 Posted by sukraj (21641 posts) -

skyrim

or demon souls

#16 Edited by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Xenoblade, and The Last Story for the Wii are a couple of great jrpg's. I was surprised(they are usually extremely similar) by Tales of Xillia I really liked it. Nier is also fantastic, but I'm not really sure that would classify as an RPG(Zelda-like) since people have differing opinions.

Personally I can't stand playing more than one rpg at a time, and I rarely get bored. So I can't really understand that comment. I may have a strategy game(Sins of a Solar Empire is always there) or some such on the side though.

#17 Posted by ristactionjakso (5624 posts) -

I got really into Legend of Dragoon, I reccomend that.

#18 Posted by sonerarikan16 (7 posts) -

if you like browser games try this one

http://www.monstermmorpg.com/

1800+ monsters and i am serious :D

#19 Posted by Sefrix (872 posts) -

Could not recommend this enough. If you haven't played LoD yet you owe yourself the pleasure of playing through it. Back when FF still claimed they couldn't do voice work with CGI LoD proved them wrong. It is for the PS1 btw.

#20 Posted by ristactionjakso (5624 posts) -

@Sefrix said:

@ristactionjakso said:

Could not recommend this enough. If you haven't played LoD yet you owe yourself the pleasure of playing through it. Back when FF still claimed they couldn't do voice work with CGI LoD proved them wrong. It is for the PS1 btw.

Or Dragonquest 8. Best jrpg ever.

#21 Posted by SlyRoxas97 (59 posts) -

Kingdom Hearts 1.5

#22 Posted by Sefrix (872 posts) -

@ristactionjakso: I'd put LoD above it, but both are incredibly well made games that I think a lot of people passed on at the time. Couldn't go wrong with either really.

#23 Posted by benleslie5 (7694 posts) -
  • Kingdom Hearts series
  • Demon's Souls
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Disgaea 4
  • Tales of Graces f
#24 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

Tales Of Symphonia! Started playing this last week and have hardly put it down!

#25 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -

Dragon Quest 8

#26 Edited by lumzi32 (326 posts) -

Since you are playing Jade Empire I would recommend Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (aka KOTOR) by the same company.

IMO, it is like Jade Empire but much, much better (except in graphics). The combat is more traditional than Jade Empire but much more fun when you get the hang of it (especially when you get some special training and an advanced weapon fairly early on ;) ).

#27 Posted by coasterguy65 (5729 posts) -

Take some Ritalin and focus on Ni No Kuni. It's a great game that deserves total attention.

If you really must play another game at the same time and you have a 3DS get Legend of Zelda a Link Between Worlds. It's one of the best Zelda games in years.

#28 Edited by Netret0120 (1900 posts) -

FFX HD

If you haven't planned to get it already.

#29 Posted by Sefrix (872 posts) -

@lumzi32: And there isn't a single move in KOTOR as OP as Jade Golem.

#30 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69017 posts) -

Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age, Final Fantasy X HD, also playing through Ni No Kuni would be a good idea. Such a good game

#31 Posted by lumzi32 (326 posts) -
@Sefrix said:

@lumzi32: And there isn't a single move in KOTOR as OP as Jade Golem.

I said fun. Blasting fools with force lighting, stomping cats with force leap, tossing your lightsaber around like a damn boomerang? Good times.

#32 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

Trine 2

#33 Posted by MasterTankallex (94 posts) -

Dark/Demon's Souls

South Park: Stick of Truth