What platform for Mass Effect Trilogy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jdiesel123 (3 posts) -
As someone who has never played any of the Mass Effect games or their DLCs I 'm lost. Each platform seems to have different variations of the DLCs and I was hoping someone out there could help me choose which one to get. PC is out of the question because my computer can barely run Microsoft word so the choice is between PS3 and X-box. It should be pointed out I do not intend on paying for any of the DLCs on either platform I just want to buy the game and be done with it. So far I'm leaning PS3 but honestly I would prefer to play on X-Box. Help plz! -On Xbox 360: Mass Effect- Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station are not included, however they are available as stand-alone downloads through Xbox LIVE. Mass Effect 2- Cerberus Network will be included Mass Effect 3- Online Pass will be included. -On PlayStation 3: Mass Effect- Bring Down the Sky will be included both on disc and on the PSN download, Mass Effect 2- will have the same DLC on-disc that it was originally shipped with: Cerberus Network; Genesis; Kasumi; Overlord; and Lair of the Shadow Broker. Mass Effect 3- will also be exactly as it originally shipped.
#3 Posted by Flubbbs (3057 posts) -

get it for whatever platform you prefer

#4 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7424 posts) -

#5 Posted by Bigboi500 (29632 posts) -

I was wondering the same thing just today. I was hoping for a trilogy release for Wii U, but went ahead and got ME for 360 on sale for just $5 so I'm going with that platform.

#6 Posted by padaporra (3406 posts) -

Well, ME1 on the pc in has a major improvement compared to the 360's version, I wouldn't know how the PS3 version is though. So I'd recommend getting in on the PC mainly for that reason. ME2 and ME3 are very lazy ports though, with no real effort put into it.  

#7 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12196 posts) -
If PC isn't an option, I'd say 360.
#8 Posted by marcheegsr (2579 posts) -

Whatever platform you play more.

Ill just say go with the ps3 version.

#9 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71246 posts) -
i haven't played it on the ps3, but i just bought it for that
#10 Posted by GamingVengeance (1854 posts) -
pc obviously. but for consoles go 360
#11 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
PC then 360. But of course, if you play more on the 360 or ps3 go for one of those versions.
#12 Posted by jdiesel123 (3 posts) -
my main concern was about the DLC though so there about even as that goes? Or does one have better options, between the 360 and PS3?
#13 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
my main concern was about the DLC though so there about even as that goes? Or does one have better options, between the 360 and PS3?jdiesel123
PS3 version of ME2 comes with almost all the important DLC with the exception of Arrival. ME3 doesn't come with any DLC unless you buy the Deluxe Edition; this applies to the 3 versions. ME1, PC includes for free Bring Down the Sky. Dunno if the PS3 version includes it for free.
#14 Posted by Lionheart08 (15401 posts) -

[QUOTE="jdiesel123"]my main concern was about the DLC though so there about even as that goes? Or does one have better options, between the 360 and PS3?Miroku32
PS3 version of ME2 comes with almost all the important DLC with the exception of Arrival. ME3 doesn't come with any DLC unless you buy the Deluxe Edition; this applies to the 3 versions. ME1, PC includes for free Bring Down the Sky. Dunno if the PS3 version includes it for free.

PS3 version doesn't come with Bring Down the Sky and it doesn't have the second crappy one either.

Get it preferably for the PC but there really is no difference between the 360 or PS3 versions.

#15 Posted by Nanomage (2417 posts) -
PC versions are in general the best ones and with the best interface,especially for combat.
#16 Posted by genius2365 (382 posts) -
In terms of DLC, the PS3 has the most, since it includes most of the ME2 DLC. This is done because the PS3 owners got all of these DLCs for free when ME2 was released standalone at retail. In terms of quality, nothing beats PC. Better interface, better graphics, mods to improve game content (ending of ME3) and textures, and more. I find it hard to believe that your PC can't run it on PC. Hardware from 2008 could run these games. In terms of preference, if you like gaming on Xbox 360, then get it on Xbox 360. I hear the PS3 version of ME2 and ME3 had some minor framerate issues and a few glitches, but nothing major. You do get all the DLC though. Whatever the platform you choose, you won't regret buying the trilogy. Enjoy the ride :)
#17 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
I'd say 360 of the console versions. I'm automatically disqualifying the PC version due to Origin (for the third game at least), and I generally love PC versions of games.
#18 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

in terms of dlc, the ps3 versions come with a lot of freebies. ME1 comes with at least a couple major missions and ME2 comes with nearly all the dlc. at least, that applies for the individual versions. i don't know if the whole trilogy package comes with the same stuff. if you do end up missing out on the dlc for whatever reason, it's not a big deal. some of the missions are nice (lair of the shadow broker on ME2, for example) but the games feel complete without them.

in terms of performance, i've only played the ps3 versions. ME1 and 2 play fine. there's a small bug with one of the classes getting stuck in the environment on rare occasion in ME2, but nothing really to complain about. however, ME3 was a mess last i played (right around the release of the "improved" ending). the framerate was very inconsistent and it had some very serious stability issues.

#19 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

PC.   If you don't have a good gaming PC, you can buy a $250-300 PC off Craigslist that will play the Mass Effect games well.  They're not all that hardware intensive.. Although you'd be better off with a proper $800+ gaming rig for all of the upcoming games.  

#20 Posted by sukraj (22597 posts) -

PS3

#21 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

id say ps3. it comes with the most dlcs and stuff. mass effect is my favourite trilogy and game of this gen. you should get as much of the full experience as you can the games are just awesome.

#22 Posted by ShadowJax04 (3344 posts) -
PC. Buy whatever DLC you like and enjoy a better control scheme, UI and better graphics. There's really only one real answer here. If you do not wish to do so the difference between 360 and PS3 is minimal but if you want to pay for less go PS3. Free multiplayer and it comes with more DLC.
#23 Posted by Metamania (11996 posts) -

What does the PS3 version have that the XB360 version doesn't have? Can someone please break down on what both versions include? That may make my decision for me in the end, especially since I've decided to get a PS3 in the end.

#24 Posted by Bigboi500 (29632 posts) -

I just got all three games on 360 seperately for a total of $21 brand new.

#25 Posted by Krelian-co (10670 posts) -

f its on pc get it on pc, ALWAYS, if you dont have a gaming pc, then get the gaming pc :cool:

#26 Posted by AbstractRadical (629 posts) -
PS3
#27 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

What does the PS3 version have that the XB360 version doesn't have? Can someone please break down on what both versions include? That may make my decision for me in the end, especially since I've decided to get a PS3 in the end.

Metamania

As for content:

For PS3: The original Mass Effect comes with the "Bring Down the Sky" DLC. Neither version comes with Pinnacle Station add on content, however.

For PS3: Mass Effect 2 comes with Cerberus Network and the Kasumi, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Overlord DLCs. The 360 version comes with none, and neither come with The Arrival DLC. (Note: I'm not sure if the re-release Mass Effect Trilogy bundle includes DLC for ME2 on the 360, however, the bundle didn't change or add anything new with ME1)

Mass Effect 3 is the same, minus Kinect features for the 360 version.

As for performance:

The only notable difference here being that the PS3 version of ME1 looks a little sharper, had motion blur removed, and runs a little less crappy. The framerate is still shit, though. On the other hand, ME2 on the 360 runs a bit better and looks a little sharper. ME3 is basically the same.

All in all, it really boils down to preference of console. Aside from Lair of the Shadow Broker (which was pretty awesome) the rest of the DLC is forgettable, so it coming with the PS3 version isn't a huge plus like it might seem at first glance. 

#28 Posted by ShepCommander (4 posts) -
It's a shame you said you can't play it on PC. As consoles go, I've never been much of a fan for the PS3, but as someone who's played mass effect on both PC and Xbox 360, I enjoyed it on PC threefold. The aiming on the Xbox didn't feel nearly fluid enough and I often found my accuracy to be.. well.. shameful. And if you're a fan of a beautiful game, in my opinion the graphics on PC, (as with most games), were noticeably better. All in all, it's an amazing game no matter what you play it on, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. But I think certain games just aren't done justice on consoles. I'd advise anyone to get a mid spec PC so as not to miss out on games. (not to mention all the Steam sales!) But that's just my opinion.
#29 Posted by Metamania (11996 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

IndianaPwns39

As for content:

For PS3: The original Mass Effect comes with the "Bring Down the Sky" DLC. Neither version comes with Pinnacle Station add on content, however.

For PS3: Mass Effect 2 comes with Cerberus Network and the Kasumi, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and Overlord DLCs. The 360 version comes with none, and neither come with The Arrival DLC. (Note: I'm not sure if the re-release Mass Effect Trilogy bundle includes DLC for ME2 on the 360, however, the bundle didn't change or add anything new with ME1)

Mass Effect 3 is the same, minus Kinect features for the 360 version.

As for performance:

The only notable difference here being that the PS3 version of ME1 looks a little sharper, had motion blur removed, and runs a little less crappy. The framerate is still shit, though. On the other hand, ME2 on the 360 runs a bit better and looks a little sharper. ME3 is basically the same.

All in all, it really boils down to preference of console. Aside from Lair of the Shadow Broker (which was pretty awesome) the rest of the DLC is forgettable, so it coming with the PS3 version isn't a huge plus like it might seem at first glance.

Thank you!

So it seems that, in terms of content, PS3 wins it. Guess that makes my choice then...

#30 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Thank you!

So it seems that, in terms of content, PS3 wins it. Guess that makes my choice then...

Metamania

The DLC is a nice little bonus because most of it is bland/forgettable but they still make mention to it in ME3. There's a pretty significant leap for a particular character's arc from ME1 to ME3, unless you play one of the accompanying DLC packs from ME2.

That was really awkward to write without giving away any potential spoilers :P