What makes RPGs good or bad?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 elanor
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Hi, I am a student currently working on my masters in Game Design at Full Sail University. For my thesis, I hope to create a list of guidelines for Role-playing games (RPG). Its purpose is to help game developers create better games by having a strong foundation. Im seeking feedback from players on what makes RPGs good or bad. If you're interested in helping me please click the link below and take my survey.

Guidelines for RPGs

In case the link does not work for you, you can copy and paste the following into you're address bar:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/rpg_guidelines

AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AlbedoSnake
Member since 2003 • 10386 Posts

Maybe you should've specified that your area of focus is very specifically the type we tend to call the "WRPG." The survey has practically nothing to do with JRPGs.

darkimposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 darkimposter
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I suppose the first and foremost things is to make sure that the player feels like they are part of the game world (immersion). If they don't feel connected to it then it does become rather difficult for the player to connect to both the other characters in the story but also the events. After that I suppose making sure controls aren't overtly difficult to execute in battle, IE if a battle takes place in real time then I don't want to have to do a full 360 circle + X, Tri, R2 just to initiate a combo or chain attacks together, unless of course the battle system is set up in which the participants respond by such things (IE X= char 1, O = Char 3 ect. ect.)

That's all I really got at the moment.

PrimeLens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PrimeLens
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Im seeking feedback from players on what makes RPGs good or bad.elanor
the players, even the best system is only as good as the players
Soupwned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Soupwned
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts

I was filling out your survey and I don't wish to complete it. Your questions aren't detailed enough. I feel like in a lot of cases I'm forced to agree with your opinion. Also there are many questions that are unnecessary. Who is going to say it's not important for the controls to respond properly? Or say it's not important for the camera to hinder/obstruct gameplay?

I'm not saying it isn't good that you're doing this but the survey should be cleaned up. If it's changed I'll be sure to do it. I would also consider using a survey with a Likert Scale.

A brief example of my restriction to answering the questions. There are many good questions but also many many that should be consolidated or elaborated/broken into multiple questions.

23. AI companions should be easy to command quickly during battle

Good AI shouldn't need to be commanded.

25. Waypoints and mission description should update properly as the player completes certain requirements for the quests

While I believe mission descriptions should update properly, I don't believe good RPGs should have waypoints.

northloging

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 northloging
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Good RPG has 5 things in common 1. Great Story 2. Great Story 3. Great Story 4. Great Story 5. Great Story
AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AlbedoSnake
Member since 2003 • 10386 Posts

The bottom line is that "elanor" comes across as not being particularly knowledgable of RPGs in the first place, which makes me question how s/he is currently going for a masters. The survey itself is indicative of only a cursory comprehension of the genre.

Wild_666_Child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Wild_666_Child
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts
the game of thrones game had a great story it still was unplayable a great story isn't worth playing if the gameplay is boring
Bhemont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bhemont
Member since 2005 • 1701 Posts

A great story needs a great presentation in order to work. Gameplay, rarely has anything to do with that. Assassin Creed had a great gameplay, but a crappy story, therefor it was unbearable.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Good RPG has 5 things in common 1. Great Story 2. Great Story 3. Great Story 4. Great Story 5. Great Storynorthloging

That and the battle system

tgwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 tgwolf
Member since 2003 • 67 Posts

Well it's as well that this post probably comes 8 years after you asked the question, even what I am going to say really wouldn't help you get a good grade on that thesis of yours, not if the teacher is like most gamers...Even then I walk the paths least travelled in terms of preferences, I have very basic but essential guidelines. You see, I was raised on the dairy of RPGs and have played many games, so I am not so easily impressed by hype, platform specs, eye-candy, dubious publisher/developer names and in some cases reviews by industry critics. More often than not I buy a game AFTER reading and recognizing that it had been railed on by 'pro' critics often because they mentioned elements they didn't like which I knew would be winners. So even if I was to spout my views in specifics I would be better off to say that it is different for different people, and how!

Mr-bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mr-bomb
Member since 2012 • 51 Posts
Depends. I don't consider many Jrpgs to be RPGS because they are Menu navgators or Visual Novels and those aren't really games, just interactive storiy books with animation. Some don't. Some Wrpgs actually have that to, although usually include some gimmick that prevents getting the Story label. There has to be game play and you have to play the role of a person, and very few rpgs actually do that right so i have to lower the standards for rpgs.
iluvOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iluvOP
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

The main components are a well told story, interesting characters, actual character developement, fun gameplay and challenging yet rewarding moments. Everything thats not that is usually lackluster. Even a mediocre story can be made great if the presentation and the way its just told is good.

d_khan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 d_khan
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts
When ever I review an RPG I use a system I call. S 3 C I stands for Story Combat Crafting Customization All. TRUE RPGs incorporate ALL of these features, if they do not then they are hybrids like Mass Effect or the current Final Fantasy games. To me a REAL RPG has you spending at least 30% of the game in the menu or inventory, customizing your characters and trading items. I realize that not everyone prefers this, but that is the basis of an RPG, while things like branching storylines are not RPG exclusive.
Avatar image for Scholar_Of_Time
Scholar_Of_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Scholar_Of_Time
Member since 2006 • 52 Posts
[QUOTE="d_khan"]When ever I review an RPG I use a system I call. S 3 C I stands for Story Combat Crafting Customization All. TRUE RPGs incorporate ALL of these features, if they do not then they are hybrids like Mass Effect or the current Final Fantasy games. To me a REAL RPG has you spending at least 30% of the game in the menu or inventory, customizing your characters and trading items. I realize that not everyone prefers this, but that is the basis of an RPG, while things like branching storylines are not RPG exclusive.

I agree with his completely omnipresent opinion. But lacking the aspects in a feature or two doesn't necessarily make a bad RPG; there have been RPGs that prioritize in one thing or the other...
nadal97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 nadal97
Member since 2012 • 66 Posts
an rpg is good if you feel like you are comfortable in the world, like if it was real life and can have you playing for hours.
d_khan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 d_khan
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

Oh, you missunderstand, I never said they were bad, I love the Mass Effect series but I also believe that they are Hybrids of 2 genres, RPG and 3rd Person shooter.

paladinjedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 paladinjedi
Member since 2008 • 65 Posts

A good game, especially an RPG, captivates the player, immerses them in the world's atmosphere... makes one lose the notion of real world time when you play it.

For that tho happen, these are a must:

1. CONCEPT

- multi-choice, non-linear story/stories = Replayability

- complex characters with deep personalities (options for persuade, romance, influence system, allies etc.) = again Replayability

- detailed character creation/customization (avoid gender locks!) = Replayability

- logical, practical classes/skill trees

- open world, yes, as long as its 'openness' makes sense and doesn't get tiresome

- full voice acting, main char included

2. GAMEPLAY

- easy, intuititve controls

- customizable, non-shifting camera (some prefer 3D, others isometric etc.)

- logical difficulty levels

- good map, detailing quest objectives

- pleasant interface

- grinding should not be a chore; instead, a real challenge in order to obtain a level for a quest, or a title...

- avoid inventory junk...

3. OTHER

- up-to-date graphics which don't torment the eye with "spectacular effects"; keep things simple, yet beautiful...

- nice soundtrack, music

- optional crafting

- minigames

- help/manual/tips/tutorials

Good luck in making great RPG games!