What makes a good game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

agentdandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 agentdandb
Member since 2006 • 5891 Posts

OK hey everyone, i started this topic to see what your opinions on what makes a good game.

Well i think what makes a good game is- Game-play, Great Storyline, and likable Characters. I'll leave the rest up to you.

Currently playing- Super Mario galaxy, Bioshock, F.E.A.R, Legend of Zelda: twilight princess

havik0666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 havik0666
Member since 2007 • 520 Posts

Good gameplay

Medieval Weapon (sword,axe,hallebard,etc)

Characters Cuztomisation

Good amount of skill,magic,weapons,ennemies,boss and envirronement

good Gametime (the time you need to finish the game)

Correct Graphic

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
First of all the gameplay and then the graphics and the story
feel_freetwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 feel_freetwo
Member since 2006 • 1888 Posts
story line doesnt really matter, re4 didnt exactly push any boundries, it was in essence just enough to give you reason to go there and kill that the bad guy. you couldnt describe it as a good story line. and yet re4 is one of the best games out there. what makes a good game? solid controls, variety, nice pacing, interesting level design and a bit of innovation on the side.
skatatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 skatatay
Member since 2007 • 1617 Posts
Good and long gameplay that you wont finish in like 8 hours.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

FUN

It may take various form, but for me those usually help a lot: Progression/achievement/hoarding, FUN (is doing this action fun in a way or another), cooperation, positive competition (think of racing, not of hockey or boxing), clear (I know what to do), simple (not stupid), facultivates gameplays (alternate paths that are no better then my favored path), relaxing (GBT)...

AC_MNF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AC_MNF
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

a great game needs a nice Game-play, Great Storyline, and well developed Characters but most than anything details, things that make the game worth to be played just like in silent hill where everything around you has a meaning!!!

by the way SILENT HILL is the best game ever!!!

agentdandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 agentdandb
Member since 2006 • 5891 Posts
AC_MNF
Level 5
Tapper
User is Online Dec 1, 2007 10:31 pm GMT

a great game needs a nice Game-play, Great Storyline, and well developed Characters but most than anything details, things that make the game worth to be played just like in silent hill where everything around you has a meaning!!!

by the way SILENT HILL is the best game ever!!!

I agree that Silent Hill is a very good game. But saying its the best would'nt be a good statement. Silent Hill is a great franchise but many others are still building up. Like GTA. The forth one will be coming out eary next year. And what about the mario games. If your not a mario or Nintendo fan you will prob. Laugh at what i just said. But what i am trying to say to you is, that Silent Hill may be a great Horror game. It isn't the only horror game worth saying its the best. What about resident evil? And even Alone in the dark.. But you entitled to your choice of favorite games. But have a look at different genres of different games.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It needs to be unique and intriguing. If it isn't, why am I playing it?
jonah-ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 jonah-ocean
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Makes you think then makes you very happy when get things right.

Origionality.

Variety (keeps changing, in good way)

Keeps your interest while not playing it.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Great story:* needed in today's games*

Great gameplay: including freedom, non linear paths and levels, no repeated content, no stuffing*boat, car, jet ski whatever levels... if they're done bad then they're stuffings!* multiple ways to kill baddies, multiple moves a character can do, no bugs, responsive controls, new ideas and easy control system!

Great sound track: one which doesn't annoy you while playing games and you can actually listen to it even when you're not playing that game.

Graphics are something easy to do with today'sconsoles' capabilitiesand I believe that 70% of today's games are about flash and no substance.

reelbigfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 reelbigfish
Member since 2005 • 919 Posts

Advertising according to Eidos?

armirite :D

golly.

It has to keep me engaged and be enjoyable and at no point should I feel like I am doing a chore.

Nagalux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Nagalux
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts

Games can be good in different ways. Ninja Gaiden didn't have a solid storyline (according to me) but the fighting system was great. Morrowind had a great storyline (again according to me) but the fighting system sucked.

But a really good game should be unique (Like SoTC), have a good and exiting storyline and it's also nice to have some kind of character customization. Then you can create your own style of playing the game.