What makes a game not worth $60 to you?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#1 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

For me, it's short games.

The Force Unleshed 2 and The Darkness 2 are prime examples. They are both around 3-5 hrs long each. They are good games, but I couldn't justify the $60 price they had at release. For a 5 hr. game, I'd pay a max of $15, and that's if I had nothing better to buy.

What are some things that makes games not worth the $60 price tag to you?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Any game that I don't find satisfying or fun to play.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
If it's lame.
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts
Well, I recently bought FF13-2 for $20. I waited for it to come down to this price because after the original FF13, I didn't want to blow sixty bucks on a game that I might not enjoy. So, my vote would be, "Previous bad experiences with the developer."
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
If it offers me little value. Short games do not necessarily fall in this category as some of them are fun to replay. Many longer games can become a drag from overpadding. I can't really nail down anything else because I have no concrete ruleset.
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
- The knowledge that it will cost me only half as much or less if I'm willing to wait, in most cases, 6 months to a year. - The prospect of remotely appealing DLC and the seeming inevitability of a Game of the Year Edition (or equivalent) that will include said DLC without the annoyance of having to actually waste my time downloading it, at or below the initial release price. - Bugs and glitches that make the game annoying at best to unplayable at worst; I refuse to pay $60 to playtest some company's product. - Short length of single-player campaign / lack of replay value / game experience that doesn't lend itself to revisiting (i.e. limited scope of fun). - Poor opinion of the game's publishers and/or developers (anti-consumer attitude, shoddy business practices, uneven track record of quality, d-bag personalities spouting their own special brand of idiocy on behalf of the companies for which they work and trash-talking their competition). There are very few games that I feel any burning desire to purchase and play immediately upon or shortly thereafter their initial release. And since I already have a pretty extensive backlog of games I've bought but still haven't even removed from their shrinkwrap (all of them purchased for $30 or less), it's hard to justify spending $60 on a game that I'm not desperately itchin' to play. Diablo III would've been one, if Blizzard hadn't screwed themselves out of my support with their always-online bullsh*t. Borderlands 2 and The Last of Us are probably the only upcoming games I'll happily pay $60 to play upon release.
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

if I can beat it in a day, if it doesn't make me feel invoved in the story, or if it doesn't make me laugh then it is not worth it. It has to do one of those things right.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#8 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

For me, it's short games.

The Force Unleshed 2 and The Darkness 2 are prime examples. They are both around 3-5 hrs long each. They are good games, but I couldn't justify the $60 price they had at release. For a 5 hr. game, I'd pay a max of $15, and that's if I had nothing better to buy.

What are some things that makes games not worth the $60 price tag to you?

ristactionjakso

1. Budget - most people dont seem to realize how crazy expensive gaming is as a hobby if you pay full price for every game.

2. Gameplay length- Knowing I can get at least 20 hours out of a game is a big plus. I refuse to pay 60$ for a 5-hour shooter campaign.

3. Price drops - Trend for most games to drop in price by half within a couple months of release. So there is almost no reason to not wait.

4. Quality- Lastly how much I want a game factors in to how much im willing to pay for it. If its something Im just thinking about i'll wait till the game hits 30$ or less. If I want to play it enough to preorder, then I pay full price.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

oh man forced unleashed.....way to short.

for me it's short games with no replay value.

very few games in the past maybe 4 or so years have ever been worth 60$

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
No game is worth $60 to me.
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

Anything that I enjoy is worth the 60$ price tag. I do not care if a game is 3 hours or 300 hours. As long as I enjoy it chances are high that I will replay it multiple times.

So the only reason for me not to spend 60$ on a game is simply budget. Which is why I pick and choose what I pay full price for. Each year I buy on average 20 games, chances are I pay full price for 7 to 10 of those titles. The rest I buy for anywhere between 45$ and 20$. I never buy used as I have no reason to. I don't drink, I don't smoke, I do not carry nor want a cellphone or tablet, so I have extra income to throw about at my favourite passtime/hobby.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#12 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Generally, a lack of content. I just don't want to cough up 50/60 euros for 5 hour experience with a run-of-the-mill multiplayer tacked on. This isn't a golden rule, though, as I'd gladly have paid 50 euros for Crysis 1 back in the day, even though it only lasts 8-12 hours, depending on how you play (I didn't have a gaming PC back then so I bought it for 15 later). Similarly, I love myself a few games of FIFA, but 50 euros seems a bit much for an instalment in a long-running sports series.

I guess that, in the end, it not only depends on the amount of content, but also on how long the experience will stick with me. Something like the campaign of Cryostasis is short and has no replay value, but it's still unforgettable.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Any game that I don't find satisfying or fun to play.Zeviander
This is the ONLY thing that matters to me
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

To me most of them are worth $60 and I'd love to be in a financial position where I can give every dev that money for their hard work.

The reality is that as a lifelong gamer, I don't have a choice but to look for sales and specials to get my games as cheaply as possible so that I can afford to play as many of them as I do.

I don't think games are ovepriced.

I just think I don't make enough to be able to pay for them what I think they're worth.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I only pay $60 for a game if I'm really interested in it and excited about it. Everything else is bargain bin. Usual reasons are:

• Just not interesting enough
  • looks good but I've got doubts about it
  • everybody says it's awesome and it looks mildly interesting to me
  • loved the previous game but this one looks questionable
  • developer has a history of releaseing buggy games
random991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 random991
Member since 2012 • 986 Posts

I give more importance to the gameplay rather than graffics so If it is boring or short I rather buy it when the price falls...

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

it just has to look like a good game. there was a surprisingly good article on ign a while back on why we judge our video games on their hours of usefulness like light bulbs. i have to agree.

gameboy343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gameboy343
Member since 2005 • 1024 Posts

if i want it enough to, which most game's i don't.

plus its easy to tell if a game will have a price drop shortly after release, basicly anything that doesn't have the name mario, zelda, halo, or call of duty on it.

Nightowl99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nightowl99
Member since 2011 • 220 Posts

Disk Locked Content. I remember in the old days, if you bought a game, you bought the WHOLE game, not part of a game. You didn't pay insane prices at release just to have half a game and then to have the devs milk you for more money later on. Basically, it's length, replayability. and lack of content that doesn't make games worth $60.

Hughmanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hughmanoid
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts
Everything. The only time I'll ever buy a brand new game is if I'm already a fan of the series.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
This, I don't care about length if it suits the game. A lot of games at 15+ hours just feel like they're padded with filler.
Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

not worth $60 if:

-short

- no replay value

-if the game lacks in single player, it must have a good local or online multiplayer

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Yeah, short games like Killzone, Uncharted or Call of Duty are not worth $60.

That's a rip off if I can beat the game in one week.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#24 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Almost everything these days. I hardly buy anything that is $60.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts
For me it's mostly just budget reasons as I'm pretty comfortable spending $60 for many of the games that interest me. Since I enjoy most of the games that come out these days though I don't have the money or the time to get them all as soon as they come out so by the time I do get around to picking some of the ones I want they end up being cheaper. Of course there's some that just don't turn out as good as I hoped for perhaps a variety of reasons so I'll sometimes opt to wait for discounts before buying. Recent games I've chosen to get when cheaper are Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City and Ninja Gaiden 3.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

DLC, if it looks like something I can blow through in one sitting like Uncharted 3 or Max Payne 3. Also, the fact that most popular games are re-released months after launch with all DLC included. Might as well wait and get the complete game instead of getting it piece by piece.

Batman Arkham City is a perfect example. Great game from what I've seen but I would have been pissed if I paid $60 at launch and now the GOTY edition is out with all DLC included after the hype died down for it.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#27 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

if it's going to be like 8 hours or less, with/without a half-baked multiplayer component, and or with a uninvolving story. Despite whatever cool setting, graphics, or characters it will have.

I picked up Battlefield 3 because of it's awesome multiplayer, it's co-op was a small treat, and it's singleplayer is nothing to write home about (even compared to other modern warfare shooter storylines).

I don't pick up Call of Duty, not because they are bad games, but because i don't really like it's multiplayer set up (just not my thing), and i am primarely a singleplayer person. if Call of Duty had an engaging story that was longer then the typical 4-6 hour run-time i would consider picking it up for $60 bucks.

If i spent 60 bucks on a game that lasted my 4-6 hours to complete, with no replay value in terms of the singleplayer and i'm not interested in it's multiplayer component. yeah. i just wasted money. could of easily just rented it for 2-6 bucks depending on where it's available.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

Its not about how long the game may be. Any game can be played as many times as i like thereby giving any game an infinite amount of time. Its about the quality of the experience, whether i feel engaged in the gameplay or story, whether the game stands out as different, or unique.

The number one things i ask of a game are: Does this offer something different, does it have a unique quality? If i feel its more of the same, uninspired, non - creative, typical, or generic game then there is no need for it.

Also if i feel it's a one trick pony ( Max Payne 3 ) that it only has 1 gear the entire way through then again, it has nothing to offer me.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I rarely purchase games for my xbox, the last one that rang me up $60(Halo anniversary I got for $30) was Catherine and that turned out to be completely worth it. I'll be picking up Halo 4(the $99 version) because I know that'll be worth it. PC games I usually get very cheap on steam. I usually pay full price for Nintendo games as I know they'll be worth it.
Hughmanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hughmanoid
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts
[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]I rarely purchase games for my xbox, the last one that rang me up $60(Halo anniversary I got for $30) was Catherine and that turned out to be completely worth it. I'll be picking up Halo 4(the $99 version) because I know that'll be worth it. PC games I usually get very cheap on steam. I usually pay full price for Nintendo games as I know they'll be worth it.

Question! Is Catherine really that good? I've been considering getting it for a while.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="Hughmanoid"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]I rarely purchase games for my xbox, the last one that rang me up $60(Halo anniversary I got for $30) was Catherine and that turned out to be completely worth it. I'll be picking up Halo 4(the $99 version) because I know that'll be worth it. PC games I usually get very cheap on steam. I usually pay full price for Nintendo games as I know they'll be worth it.

Question! Is Catherine really that good? I've been considering getting it for a while.

Yes, I'd get it if you want something different. If you can't stand any kind of puzzle gaming, STAY AWAY. The story is very good and interesting. I've actually been working on the game STILL 11 months after it came out. There's a lot to do, so I've been playing it on and off.
bowserjr123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32 bowserjr123
Member since 2006 • 2478 Posts

This, or if it's too short.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

For me, it's short games.ristactionjakso

Yeah same here and games that suck too. Not to mention the fact they go down in price a lot faster than say 20 years ago so I just wait for a price drop and rent, rent, rent!

OneShotFOGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OneShotFOGE
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts

Short games with no replayability or MP. If I cant get 30 hours out of a game I ll wait for the price to drop. I try to get about an hour for every dollar I spend. Some games, like Fallout, Grand Theft Auto and Battlefield get me many more hours that 60.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Simply games in general aren't worth $60 to me. I've never paid over $40 for a game.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

I generally hate games made by Unknown developers. Unless they are smash hits. $40 buy in. I hate short single player games. Once those servers shut off in 10 years, all you have is that single player. $40 buy in. I hate digital games at $60. I will never pay over $40 for a digital game, I'm sorry i'm not padding your wallet since you no longer have a middle man and refuse to lower the price. Looking at you CoD MW3 on Xbox live for $59, get real. Amazon hard copy for $40 says hello. Heck, my local Wal-Mart for $49 says hello.

Games that seam like there isn't enough content or polish to warrant the price. There is a reason why Nintendo games are $49. They look dated. Game with no content would be Ninja Gaiden 3. Game with crap loads of content would be Skyrim. They are not equal and one of them doesn't deserve $59.

So for me Unknown developers, Short single players, and digital downloads are a no at $60.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Being a game is what makes a game not worth $60 to me. $30 and under or bust.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
in terms of the full package, they already aren't. Half the time there's no manual now, just some lame insert that says, "Read the full manual on disc!".
Greyfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Greyfeld
Member since 2008 • 3007 Posts

I generally hate games made by Unknown developers. Unless they are smash hits. $40 buy in. I hate short single player games. Once those servers shut off in 10 years, all you have is that single player. $40 buy in. I hate digital games at $60. I will never pay over $40 for a digital game, I'm sorry i'm not padding your wallet since you no longer have a middle man and refuse to lower the price. Looking at you CoD MW3 on Xbox live for $59, get real. Amazon hard copy for $40 says hello. Heck, my local Wal-Mart for $49 says hello.

Games that seam like there isn't enough content or polish to warrant the price. There is a reason why Nintendo games are $49. They look dated. Game with no content would be Ninja Gaiden 3. Game with crap loads of content would be Skyrim. They are not equal and one of them doesn't deserve $59.

So for me Unknown developers, Short single players, and digital downloads are a no at $60.

caseypayne69

I just had to quote you to tell you that the GIF in your sig is full of win xD Love Fifth Element, and blending it with video games made me grin like an idiot :P

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#40 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

Nowadays, no game out there will make me pay 60 bucks for. Not for Tomb Raider, Halo, Uncharted, GTA, Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Sonic the Hedgehog. Ever since game prices have soared to 60 for anything new; I have lost interest in buying them opening week. It's just too much money for what any game is worth! I always wait for a price drop. 40, maybe 50 is most I'd be willing to pay. Knowing the value of a dollar does that to you.

Rick_Sure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 Rick_Sure
Member since 2011 • 371 Posts

I refuse to pay that much after how many times I have been let down in the past. I'll wait to see how it plays and how long it is. If its going to last me 100 hours and has no problems once in a while I will pay full price. The fact that the last game I got on release day was Football manager 2010 says alot about what the companys put out.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Seeing how I buy 90% of my games for less than $10 from thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales, a game better be pretty damn amazing in order for me to drop that kind of cash. I have to be super excited about a new game coming out or else I'm content with waiting 4-months for it to go down to $30 or less.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#43 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

No game is worth $60 to me.Minishdriveby

I'm pretty much the same way. I haven't purchased a game for a full retail $60 price tag since Twilight Princess day 1. I still haven't finished it. I usually get all my games on the cheap, and or used. All games drop in price, I simple prefer to be several years behind the present when I play. The libraries available today under $10 is staggering.

-

I also dislike short games with little replay value. It's fine if the game is short, as long as I want to play it again.

DrHousesCane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DrHousesCane
Member since 2011 • 773 Posts

Definitely short games, though not completely just that. If a game has a 5-6 hour campaign yet packs an awesome MP that'll keep me coming back ang back for more then I'm game, 60$ set and match. It's games like Uncharted 2, Battlefield 3, and others that offer either

• A fun one and done campaign but no MP mode/ MP mode I just can't get into (The Uncharted series is a great example of this. Uncharted 1 and 2 were fun games, I'm not denying it. But I never felt the urge to come back and replay them, and in Uncharted 2's case, I just couldn't get into the MP.)
  • A fun MP mode but a dull SP mode where obviously little to no effort was put into it. (Battlefield 3)

I like my games filled with (enjoyable) content; Fallout, Zelda, Mass Effect (yes yes ending was bad I know :P ) Hitman, Grand Theft Auto, Demon/Dark Souls ect. ect.

Now if a game has no MP mode, yet contains a stellar SP mode (a la Half Life 1 and 2) then it also warrants that 60$ purchase as well, as long as that SP mode is

• Lengthy (I hate this word but I'm using it because screw you :evil: :P )
  • Good enough to make me want to come back again and again
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#45 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
If it's bad.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Most games are not worth $60 to me. I can usually wait a few months and get them brand new @ $20 to $40 bucks.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

If it's short or doesn't really have replay value.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#48 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Definitely if it doesn't have lasting appeal. It can be a great or even an amazing game with a 5-10 hour story, but if there's nothing else to do afterwards that's really worth doing, then it's not worth the $60.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

in terms of the full package, they already aren't. Half the time there's no manual now, just some lame insert that says, "Read the full manual on disc!".Allicrombie

Lol, I'm still surprised Dragon's Dogma comes with a manual.

keybladegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 keybladegamer
Member since 2011 • 516 Posts

Short and non-replayable games aren't exactly worth $60 to me. Maybe $15 if it's worth playing, but under no circumstances will I pay $60 for a 5 hour non-replayable game.