What its like to Play Hotline Miami.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theboy2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By theboy2100
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

One hit kills. This game is unforgiving and does not give a ****! Just like the situation the main character finds himself in, going to location to location killing everyone for more or less unknown reasons all while wearing a cryptic halloween animal mask. Puking in a alley at the beginning trying to process the mass murders he committed. The presentation is retrotastic, the 8-bit aesthetic and top down is really what games were back then, with modern HD colour pallets. The sharpness you feel when the force of a metal pipe splits a man’s skull. It’s addictive! Followed by a mixtape of tracks that could easily be played in a music museum for the decade. The influences of Bowie mixed with Broken Social Scene, its very well presented and really puts you in that era. Fast, reactive, seamless, smooth and utter havoc on your reflexes this is how this game plays you need to be smart, you can’t just run and gun, oh no! You have to rehearse how you will attack every room. Use the routine of the A.I. to you'r advantage then panic how everything goes to shit!… “press X to restart”.

How did You feel when playing Hotline Miami?

I posted a full version on my tumblr, see my profile details for the link.

creepychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 creepychainsaw
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts

Hotline Miami is truly an incredible game. Its what Manhunt would have been like if it was developed for some 8-bit console. I love how cryptic the plot comes across paralleled to how straightforward the game play is. But simplicity comes at a cost because the game is unbelievably harsh if you don't play your cards right. Killing the thugs is ridiculously satisfying as you chop, slash and shoot your way among a flurry of pixellated blood and gore.

But the selling point is the music. So reminiscent in its ability to portray an old, neon 80's style film akin to something like Scarface; HM shines in the musical department.

I have yet to play the sequel but am eager to continue this series. I loved it so much, I tried reaching out to the developer to consider a film version that matches the mystery and violence that the game implores. Of course, I heard nothing back.

theboy2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 theboy2100
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

@creepychainsaw: I love your point about if Manhunt had been made on an 8-bit console, so true. Its a contrast of its own designs I feel, with its overly brutal and disturbing game play style to its sharp pallet of neon pinks and light blues. This is a game that is so aware of itself and what it wants to portray and how it does it. To your other point also, yes the score is what makes itself truly a time piece. How GTA Vice City felt, feeling like you are experiencing a world that had been before with its electronica, enviroment and mood. I love it.

As for a film adaptation, Id be willing to see it but it would have to be released on VHS only.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I thought the game was incredibly frustrating. But I kept at it and vastly improved and made my way through it, even getting an A+ on most of the chapters afterward. If it wasn't for the insanely awesome soundtrack and instant respawns, I would have given up on this game within the first couple of levels. There's a trophy for dying 1000 times, and I got it well before completing the game for the first time.