What is your vision of a perfect Zelda game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smittenroade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 smittenroade
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

(Let me start off with a notice that I am not here to hurt any fanboy feelings, Ijust want to daydream about my perfect Zelda game, and listen to some other ideas about it.)

I was reading an earlier post and it was talking about the creators of Zelda realizing tutorials were too long and such. It struck me how they could be so blind to the bigger picture for most beloved Zelda fans like myself.

OOT was like revelation to me. I was amazed by the aspect that you grew up in the game and that it turned nighttime while you were playing. It was the scope of being in a life-like world that intrigued me more than anything. It's kinda like the feeling I got from Oblivion all those years back. As we all know Zelda game, for the most part have gotten more linear as the days go on and I completely lost interest for the first time with SS. It wasnt a bad game but it seemed like the series was no longer geared towards people like me. It isnt just the Zelda series that I think has turned away from it's base but Ithink this was the most dissapointing one for me. Dragon Age 2 did the same thing in my opnion and I think for the most parts they are trying to make the games into "Everyone games" for more money or whatever...Ihave no problem with that but are they paying a price for that?

Anyways, back to Zelda...

A premiere Zelda game for me would have to include, an open and living world like OOT. Beautiful and emotional music (I give props for SS, they did an amazing job with the score) They need some new content with enemies and such with maybe a throw back or two, every now and then. Ithink in all the franchise needs to grow up and relfect a gritty side like Twilight princess but also a wonderment like Shadow of the Collosus with a combat system more like Demon Souls where every step in enemy territory is intense and every boss encounter dreadful. THe last thing is they need more EMOTION, and it doesnt have to be melodramatic. OOT had great emotion without the characters even crying. I remember Link just standing their staring at young Zelda and I could feel the immense pressure on the two young people as they came to realize their destinies. Anyways, I;ve talked enough. Let me know what you think should be in a Zelda game below.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Your Zelda game is nothing compared to my Zelda game ! :p

Mine would have Bayonetta's combat, but with puzzle bosses and puzzles enemies in general... Plus many many normal Puzzles. It will even have local co-op and an ingame level creation tool to allow for infinite replayability ! :) choke on that awesomeness !

And thats before we get to the cool stuff like lazers and hot babes and and cyborg hot babes that shoot lazers ! :p

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: There's already a co-op Zelda game. It's called Four Swords Adventure.

As for what I want in a Zelda game, I want mature stories like the one seen in Twilight Princess (my personal fave of the series) that can still have a sense of humor, non-linear dungeon progression a-la A Link Between Worlds and the original Legend of Zelda game, a vast world with tons of options for exploration and item-collecting (my favorite thing to do), more intuitive puzzles, challenging combat as opposed to "hack the shit out of it until it dies", and more dialogue options for Link like in Skyward Sword so as to build him up as your interpretation of the Hero of Time as opposed to him just...standing there looking cool while people talk for him.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

One where you can actually play as Zelda, team up with Link and kick Ganon's ass. Let her earn her right to be queen of Hyrule for once instead of being the damsel in distress. The closest I've seen her come close to actually getting her hands dirty was in OOT when she was disguised ad Sheik.

smittenroade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 smittenroade
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@HipHopBeats: that is actually a really good idea that they could easily add in right now without stepping on any toes. Switching between zelda and link stories...they could even remake other games with playable zelda? That wouldnt be too hard...

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#6  Edited By TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

The version they are creating for the Wii U is starting to look like the perfect Zelda game.

My perfect Zelda game would have to be one with a large open world with non-linear progression, the ability to start your story as Link or Zelda leading to two very different methods of play, progression, and events, and a kick-ass central theme to the story, sort of like Majora's Mask. Like, I would love to see the entire map alter as the result of some action or event in the game, sort of like in OOT when you first play as adult-Link, or in GTA: San Andreas when the city begins to riot. After playing in a sandbox/map for 30 hours and up, seeing it dramatically change makes it feel believable and breathtaking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Dark Souls except it looks like Zelda.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@TheManofTin said:

The version they are creating for the Wii U is starting to look like the perfect Zelda game.

My perfect Zelda game would have to be one with a large open world with non-linear progression, the ability to start your story as Link or Zelda leading to two very different methods of play, progression, and events, and a kick-ass central theme to the story, sort of like Majora's Mask. Like, I would love to see the entire map alter as the result of some action or event in the game, sort of like in OOT when you first play as adult-Link, or in GTA: San Andreas when the city begins to riot. After playing in a sandbox/map for 30 hours and up, seeing it dramatically change makes it feel believable and breathtaking.

Yeah this... And I like what Aonuma was saying at E3 about being able to reach what you can see (ie. mountains in the distance) and that a lot of the puzzle solving in the game is actually figuring out how to get there and what to do on the way and when you get there. Sounds really cool.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Firstly, I want a Zelda that starts off with a bang. No more of this 'waking in the village' shit. Part of the reason ALttP was so amazing was because from the get-go Link was in the action, in a dungeon, with an amazing musical score thundering away. Sword and shield acquired withing the first 5 minutes of play, not the first 5 hours. I remember Miyamoto once saying something along the lines of, "the most crucial part of any game is within the first 10 minutes. If you can't engage the player by that time, they probably won't have much interest to continue". Not verbatim, but this is essentially what he said, and he is right on the money. I am sick and tired of running errands and doing boring irrelevant bullshit, stuff that seems to be there for no other reason than to slowly introduce the player to utterly rudimentary game mechanics that Nintendo has become so terrified will turn-off everyone from playing. It's not only extremely insulting to the intelligence, it ruins the excitement and destroys the pacing. Zelda has become a chore to play due to it.

Pacing aside, no hand-holding. NONE. Let. Me. Play. The. Game. Let me discover what to do and how to go about doing it. This is what makes Zelda fun and I can't understand how this goes over Nintendo's head. Nintendo, there's something that's existed for a while now.....it's called the Internet. People can look up the solutions if they're so troubled. I know they want to make it family friendly, but they fail to give people credit to such an extent that it's ruining the game. ALBW was better in this respect I'll admit, however this was a game whose design was based upon a game that didn't hold hands, so what faith I have is not the strongest out there.

I would also like to see the world coalesce more. Make the dungeons feel more like a part of the world instead of a byproduct of it. Let me find an innocuous looking cave that evolves into an in-depth dungeon. Make the world feel whole, alive and dynamic, and not so segmented and gamey. This is ultimately what is holding back Zelda from really being all it can be.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

well, there are features from past zelda games that i've liked more than others. i like exploring 3D worlds more than 2D ones. i like being dropped in the world and having the game just let me explore wherever i like and finding rewarding things all over the place. i like the combat from skyward sword and twilight princess. i like the puzzles from ocarina of time. blah blah blah

there are ideas from other games that i think would be cool in a zelda game too. the stamina bar from the souls games would be awesome. the seamless transitions into dungeons from shadow of the colossus would be great as well.

however, my perfect zelda game probably wouldn't be simply a combination of all those ideas (if that were even possible). it's how everything fits together to convey something about the game world or nintendo's vision of game design.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

a link cable with the ds where you can then you ds tough controls for movement and skyward sword for swinging a sword.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

A gritty-bloody-M-rated Zelda game. I know it will never happen, but it would great to see if it did exist.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@behardy24 said:

A gritty-bloody-M-rated Zelda game. I know it will never happen, but it would great to see if it did exist.

That would be interesting to see, a LoZ game like The Witcher 3 would be...GOAT

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

One without motion controls. -drops mic-

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#16 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Majora's Mask with a slightly altered save system (to make it more user friendly) and maybe the more open aspect of Link Between Worlds. But Majora's Mask is my all time favorite game since it is as close to perfect as anything else that I have ever played.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

It did happen... Twice !... Except it was Multiplatform and it was called Darksiders ! :p

You're Welcome ! ;) please leave the thank you cookies on the desk....

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

It did happen... Twice !... Except it was Multiplatform and it was called Darksiders ! :p

You're Welcome ! ;) please leave the thank you cookies on the desk....

Do you like Chocolate Chip or Oatmeal? :P

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

If I can't have ginger then definately Chocolate chip ! :p

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

If I can't have ginger then definately Chocolate chip ! :p

Here you go. Enjoy. :)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Behardy24

Raw Cookie Dough ? Lol. No way !

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

First of all, I would like a retooled combat system with combos, etc. The deteriorating shield in Skyward Sword was a nice touch, and the motion control combat was much better than Z-targeting, but now that motion controls are going away, I don't want to go back to Z-targeting. Give me anything else, really. I would like the linear, story-heavy structure of Skyward Sword, only in a cohesive world, rather than the empty sky overworld with what basically amounted to warp points. I would also like all side quests to be replaced with side dungeons with their own puzzles and bosses. These would all be significantly harder than the main quest dungeons, and would sort of serve as extra content for the hardcore to pursue, just as the newer Mario games all have difficult levels that are available after you roll the credits. That way, the game is accessible and winnable for newcomers, but also satisfying for veterans. Skyward Sword, to me, was a huge step in the right direction, with glaring flaws that were mostly due to the weak hardware running the game. I would like to see that style of game expanded upon.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Behardy24

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Behardy24

Raw Cookie Dough ? Lol. No way !

Take it and love it. :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

@syztem said:

Dark Souls except it looks like Zelda.

All third-person action- adventure games should have Dark Souls controls.