What is your "Halloween game" this year?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Randolph (10452 posts) -

I thought I might play ZombiU. a notoriously under-appreciated survival horror game. It was the best option I had available to me, or so I thought. If you're like me, you've been thinking to yourself, "Boy does the Virtual Console on Wii U ever suck". Well, apparently Nintendo agrees and decided to finally DO something about it.

So now I know what I will spend the late hours of Halloween with, the same game I spent Halloween nights marathoning in the early nineties with my brand spanking new SNES back when I still lived in good ole Jacksonville, Florida. The only way they could have one upped this is they finally launched the N64 games back onto the service and had it headlined by Doom 64. (hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)

Why is this still the only Castlevania with eight direction whipping?????!?

#2 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -

Dante's Inferno.

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -

Super Castlevania IV is an awesome game, I definitely downloaded that when it went up on the Wii VC. Right now I'm considering about playing Diablo III, Dark Souls, Doom 3, or Dead Rising 2 this year on Halloween.

#4 Edited by Randolph (10452 posts) -

Super Castlevania IV is an awesome game, I definitely downloaded that when it went up on the Wii VC. Right now I'm considering about playing Diablo III, Dark Souls, Doom 3, or Dead Rising 2 this year on Halloween.

It was the very first game I downloaded from the VC in 2006 when the system launched. :)

That and Simon's Quest are my most nostalgic 'Vania games.

#5 Posted by sukraj (22089 posts) -

Dead Rising

#6 Posted by NightlyOne (318 posts) -

Haven't fully decided on a Halloween game yet, but I'm leaning towards giving F.E.A.R. (plus DLC) a shot. It'd be my first ever playthrough, plus a chance to knock out a game on my ever-growing backlog of Steam games (them damn sales, man).

#7 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8758 posts) -

Assassin's Creed Black Flag is what I'll be playing... It's kind of halloweeny as people commonly dress up as pirates on Halloween for some strange reason.

#8 Posted by Bigboi500 (29288 posts) -

Puppeteer. The game is deliciously insane.

#9 Edited by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@Archangel3371 said:

It was the very first game I downloaded from the VC in 2006 when the system launched. :)

Pretty much same here. Simon's Quest was my introduction to the franchise and I even had dreams of the game when I was a kid. SCIV was the first game I bought when I purchased a SNES. It's my second favourite right behind SotN. Oh how I LOVED Konami back in the SNES era. Now I feel like playing some SCIV, Contra III, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sparkster, etc. :)

#10 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

Manhunt 2. I am a huge fan of the first game and I am finally gonna get around to playing the second game. Manhunt was a damn scary game so I look forward to it.

I had some awesome gifs I found to post but man would they surely upset some people :P

#11 Posted by Randolph (10452 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Pretty much same here. Simon's Quest was my introduction to the franchise and I even had dreams of the game when I was a kid. SCIV was the first game I bought when I purchased a SNES. It's my second favourite right behind SotN. Oh how I LOVED Konami back in the SNES era. Now I feel like playing some SCIV, Contra III, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sparkster, etc. :)

Yeah, Simon's Quest was my first one too, and Zelda 2 was my first Zelda, so my view on both of those series was warped from the get go. ;) I had the opposite experience of most kids. I played Simon's Quest to death, then Mom finally got me the original one Christmas in the late eighties and I was like "The hell? This isn't Castlevania!". Of course, I came to love traditional 'Vania, and finally managed to beat the first game on the VC back in 2010.

Speaking of the Turtles, how the hell is it that the only TMNT game to ever hit the VC on any Nintendo system is that shitty first one for the NES? I would kill to get TMNT: The Arcade Game, TMNT: The Manhattan Project, Hyperstone Heist, and TMNT: Turtles in Time playable on my gamepad while I'm kicked back and chilling.

#12 Posted by BranKetra (48106 posts) -

I do not celebrate Halloween.

#13 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I hadn't thought about it honestly. We usually make a pretty big deal out of decorating and trick-or-treating in my neighborhood, so I rarely have time for much gaming.

I guess if time allows I might throw Undead Nightmare in for a bit.

#14 Posted by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

Resident Evil 4.

I play it every year.

#15 Edited by Randolph (10452 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Resident Evil 4.

I play it every year.

Good choice! That one served me well about two years in a row on Gamecube. It broke me of the habit of just playing Silent Hill or Silent Hill 2 every Halloween. Sadly, I just found out that I'm working on Halloween night, so I won't be able to marathon a game like I used to like to do. Maybe I can at least manage up to the third or fourth boss in Super 4, I'm pretty good at that game, but I doubt I'll have the energy for marching all the way to Dracula after a long day of work.

#16 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@drekula2 said:

Resident Evil 4.

I play it every year.

Good choice! That one served me well about two years in a row on Gamecube. It broke me of the habit of just playing Silent Hill or Silent Hill 2 every Halloween. Sadly, I just found out that I'm working on Halloween night, so I won't be able to marathon a game like I used to like to do. Maybe I can at least manage up to the third or fourth boss in Super 4, I'm pretty good at that game, but I doubt I'll have the energy for marching all the way to Dracula after a long day of work.

Nah, that game is overrated. :P

It's basically just cutscene-shoot 10 zombies-cutscene-QTE-cutscene.

#17 Edited by Randolph (10452 posts) -

Z, all you do all night on Halloween is answer the same one question a hundred times. "Aren't you a little old to be trick or treating?"

;)

#18 Posted by derrange (26 posts) -

Terrordrome The Game

Awesome fan made fighting with horror characters, Freddy krueger etc.

It's sluggish, but still very fun.

This Halloween will be full and final version of the game, really should check it out.

#19 Edited by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I'm playing Lone Survivor, which is an interesting game.

#20 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18260 posts) -

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth

#21 Posted by marco1k1 (163 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00:

Oh I love Call of Cthulhu, but I don't have a copy at the moment, I suck so hard at the game though xD

As for the game I'll be playing - I might try out Penumbra again as I've never completed it or maybe I'll just watch a scary movie on Netflix :P

#22 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Z, all you do all night on Halloween is answer the same one question a hunted times. "Aren't you a little old to be trick or treating?"

;)

Silly Randy, Tricks aren't for kids.

#23 Edited by c_rakestraw (14599 posts) -

I don't know. Don't usually plan to play specific games on holidays. Maybe I'll finally start up System Shock 2. That game's supposed to be somewhat horror-like, yeah?

#24 Posted by Randolph (10452 posts) -

I don't know. Don't usually plan to play specific games on holidays. Maybe I'll finally start up System Shock 2. That game's supposed to be somewhat horror-like, yeah?

I've always planned around Halloween and Christmas. Usually Christmas NiGHTS for December 25th, followed by a cup of eggnog and watching Ernest Saves Christmas and Die Hard, my two favorite Christmas movies of all time. (Die Hard and Christmas NiGHTS being habits picked up from a dear friend who doesn't really post at all anymore, N3MO) Halloween is usually not something I decide until a week or so out.

#25 Posted by marcheegsr (2513 posts) -

Well I just downloaded dead island goty edition for 5 bucks from psn plus so ill be playing that.

Ill be picking up siren when it gets a discount next week.

#26 Posted by Randolph (10452 posts) -

Well I just downloaded dead island goty edition for 5 bucks from psn plus so ill be playing that.

Can't go wrong with Siren. Play it Thursday night with the lights off and you should definitely get your money's worth. That game has never gotten the love it deserves.

#27 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@c_rakestraw said:

I've always planned around Halloween and Christmas. Usually Christmas NiGHTS for December 25th, followed by a cup of eggnog and watching Ernest Saves Christmas and Die Hard, my two favorite Christmas movies of all time. (Die Hard and Christmas NiGHTS being habits picked up from a dear friend who doesn't really post at all anymore, N3MO) Halloween is usually not something I decide until a week or so out.

I always try to watch Die Hard on or around Christmas. Picked up the Die Hard Blu-Ray collection around my birthday this year, so now it'll be even better. :)

No idea where my Saturn is though. So I likely won't be playing any Christmas NiGHTs for a while. Loved that game though.

#28 Posted by Randolph (10452 posts) -

I don't have a Saturn either. But I still play it one day a year. *wink wink*

#29 Posted by c_rakestraw (14599 posts) -
@Randolph said:
@c_rakestraw said:

I always try to watch Die Hard on or around Christmas. Picked up the Die Hard Blu-Ray collection around my birthday this year, so now it'll be even better. :)

No idea where my Saturn is though. So I likely won't be playing any Christmas NiGHTs for a while. Loved that game though.

Same here as well. Die Hard is so good. Christmas just isn't the same without it. About the only holiday tradition I've got, really.

#30 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I used to do a Die Hard and Lethal Weapon double feature every year. But I kinda got sick of Lethal Weapon a few years back. So it's out of the rotation. Just Die Hard, and if there is time perhaps Nightmare Before Christmas. Although that's typically more of a Halloween movie around my home.

#31 Posted by MathMattS (4002 posts) -

I'm playing through the Dead Space series one last time before I trade in my 360 after getting the XBone. So that will be my Halloween franchise this year.

#32 Edited by marcheegsr (2513 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@marcheegsr said:

Can't go wrong with Siren. Play it Thursday night with the lights off and you should definitely get your money's worth. That game has never gotten the love it deserves.

Will do. That will be my Halloween night game. I watched some youtube videos and it looks right up my alley. Can't believe it flew under my radar.

#33 Posted by Mo-licious (595 posts) -

Fatal Frame ... super creepy, especially this time of year.

#34 Edited by ShubhamVerlekar (5 posts) -

I have downloaded many games..... the horror games....

I dont even know their name but Its a Surprice for me. on the day of halloween

#35 Edited by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

I played The Cat Lady and Clive Barker's Undying this year. I might fit in one more this week.

#36 Posted by GSJones1994 (318 posts) -

Resident Evil 2. N64 version!

#37 Posted by Randolph (10452 posts) -

Resident Evil 2. N64 version!

Truly horrifying. :D

#38 Posted by Jacanuk (4198 posts) -

No horror game here.

The hype and the ridiculous youtubers have ruined those for me.

I will wait for the Rift before i play another horror game. ;D

#39 Posted by freedomfreak (39100 posts) -

Like you, TC. ZombiU. I've actually put it on hold for Halloween, but I do think I've progressed quite a lot.

Still, it is such an interesting game. Flawed, sure, but it does play around with so many cool ideas. And it's a really intense game. It's a shame we won't get a sequel that built and improved on those ideas.

#40 Posted by iowastate (7873 posts) -

it is a tradition that after the Trick or Treaters are finished I turn the lights off and play Haunting Ground.

or Silent Hill 2, SH3, Fatal Frame 3, Kuon, Siren, or Clock Tower 3.

I've been through all of these games a few times and will enjoy another run through of any of them.

I save the Resident Evil games and Clive Barker's Undying for times that I feel like a shooter.

Halloween is more suited for survival horror.

#41 Posted by FinalFighters (1385 posts) -

i pre-purchased deadly premonition: directors cut on Steam. will play it on the 29th when it comes out..hopefully its good

#42 Edited by marcheegsr (2513 posts) -

i pre-purchased deadly premonition: directors cut on Steam. will play it on the 29th when it comes out..hopefully its good

Awesome game. Please don't be put off by the clunky controls and ps2 like graphics. They are no way good but eventually as you continue to dig dipper in the story, those things do not matter anymore.

This game is all about the story and for me its on the best stories in gaming. It will keep you guessing to the end. Very creep game and perfect for Halloween.

#43 Posted by FinalFighters (1385 posts) -

@marcheegsr: Well that's good to hear. the graphics don't bother me as i still play PS2 games frequently. As long as the Plot is good and it has a creepy/Scary atmosphere i'll be happy.

#44 Edited by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

well, i'm playing through the walking dead season 1 for the first time (i was playing arx fatalis, but the stability problems are killing me). i got it from the halloween sale on psn and there will be more games this week. presumably they'll be halloween themed but i don't know which one i'll settle on.

#45 Posted by Minishdriveby (9734 posts) -

It's called studying for that Evolution exam you have on the 1st.

#46 Posted by EnderX (42 posts) -

I just finished Resident Evil 6, and now I'm playing DmC. This is all just coincidental, though. I really don't play a certain game just because it's near Halloween. I really don't give a rat's ass about that sort of thing.

#47 Posted by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

Halloween is a good occasion for a long, frightening gaming night since one can sleep into the morning. So Dead Space for me, I guess, either DS3 co-op or DS2 alone. If the necromorphs' shudder wears off, The Last of Us's infected might also do...

#48 Posted by VintAge68 (408 posts) -
#49 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

It's called studying for that Evolution exam you have on the 1st.

This is the scariest thing listed here.

#50 Posted by puella (23 posts) -

Costume Quest...I know, kinda lame. But I get scared way too easily!