What is your favourite PS2 RPG ?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xXShortroundXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xXShortroundXx
Member since 2011 • 1807 Posts

This might sound cliche' but I'm not finding my Xbox 360 to be much fun these days. All the games I own are shooters. Truth be told there aren't much RPG's on the system anyways.

I've decided to go retro and get into a beasty PS2 RPG. Looking at my PS2 games library I don't have many games left of what I used to have though. Final Fantasy X & Final Fantasy X-2 are pretty much all I have.

I'm looking for a highly replayable game like Final Fantasy X and XII.

One that preferably has a crafting type system like in Star Ocean 3 or Dragon Quest VIII and a great story like Persona 4, also a well composed soundtrack is a must.

I suppose I've played most of the highly rated PS2 RPG's but if you can think of any that sound like what I just described. Please help me out :P

Also list down your favourite RPG ;) I'm curious to see what peoples favourites are.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Final Fantasy 10

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts
Radiata Stories by far
LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Easily Persona 4.

IWAOlympus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 IWAOlympus
Member since 2011 • 412 Posts
I second Persona 4.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

King's Field: The Ancient City

King's Field: The Ancient City CoverKing's Field: The Ancient City Screenshot 1

King's Field: The Ancient City Screenshot 2

Totally unique and underrated action-RPG series that I'm totaly in love with. This was the last entry in the series, and the only one to appear on PS2. The other games in the series were on PSX. It's played from the first-person perspective and has a high-emphasis on exploration and figuring things out for yourself. This is definetly the best looking game in the series, naturally since it's on PS2. It each entry can be played completely by themselves without playing the other ones first. The only connection is the similar gameplay and art-direction and being set in the same world.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Darkman2007

Totally unique and underrated action-RPG series that I'm totaly in love with. This was the last entry in the series, and the only one to appear on PS2. The other games in the series were on PSX. It's played from the first-person perspective and has a high-emphasis on exploration and figuring things out for yourself. This is definetly the best looking game in the series, naturally since it's on PS2. It each entry can be played completely by themselves without playing the other ones first. The only connection is the similar gameplay and art-direction and being set in the same world.

Emerald_Warrior

that actually looks like an interesting game, does it play like any other series I might be familiar with ? the look of it reminds me of Elder Scrolls 4, are they any similar?

Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts

Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprach Zarathustra

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Final Fantasy 10

Darkman2007

That's my favourite as well. Persona 4 is worth a look if you haven't played it yet :P

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Darkman2007

that actually looks like an interesting game, does it play like any other series I might be familiar with ? the look of it reminds me of Elder Scrolls 4, are they any similar?

The first-person perspective and combat is similar. But to say it's as good as Oblivion would be a flat-out lie. It is open-ended like Elder Scrolls, but it's not as massive of a world (but still pretty dang good sized for a PS2 game). It's one of those series that people either absolutely love, like myself, or they hate it, too. So I'd try it out first. And give it more than 5 minutes, because that isn't gonna do any RPG justice.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Persona 4

YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

Radiata Stories!!!!

Wrecked69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#13 Wrecked69
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts
Add another for Persona 4
Neyginn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Neyginn
Member since 2010 • 96 Posts

For me, it's a tie between Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Emerald_Warrior

The first-person perspective and combat is similar. But to say it's as good as Oblivion would be a flat-out lie. It is open-ended like Elder Scrolls, but it's not as massive of a world (but still pretty dang good sized for a PS2 game). It's one of those series that people either absolutely love, like myself, or they hate it, too. So I'd try it out first. And give it more than 5 minutes, because that isn't gonna do any RPG justice.

seems like it was simply called King's Field 4 over here, I might try it out sometime next month , thanks for the recommendation
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Xenosaga Ep I

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Probably either Dragon Quest VIII or Champions of Norrath.

Gotta try that Kings Field game...

GunnerSCF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GunnerSCF
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts

Dragon Quest VIII,SMT:Nocturne & Digital devil saga(both parts).

If i really had to chose,than it would be DQ.But damn...looking back now at these RPGs,those random battles are ridiculous.Wish they were like in Final Fantasy 12,Chrono Trigger/Cross=Not cheap & awesome!

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#19 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Final Fantasy X!:)

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Darkman2007

seems like it was simply called King's Field 4 over here, I might try it out sometime next month , thanks for the recommendation

The King's Field series is a really underrated series and I recommend it as well. It's more similar to the Ps3's recent Demon Souls than Oblivion as it was made by the same developer and Demon Souls is also billed as a spiritual sequel to Kings Field by the devs themselves.

boybrushdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 boybrushdred
Member since 2007 • 1892 Posts

Final Fantasy 12. its my favorite PS2 game.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

AcidSoldner

The King's Field series is a really underrated series and I recommend it as well. It's more similar to the Ps3's recent Demon Souls than Oblivion as it was made by the same developer and Demon Souls is also billed as a spiritual sequel to Kings Field by the devs themselves.

I've never played the game. But I've heard people say that Demon's Soul is the spiritual successor to the King's Field series, which is one of the main reasons I want a PS3. However one thing that really jumps out at me as different is that I've heard people the describe the game as having stages or levels. King's Field games, while not as big as say Morrowind or Oblivion, was still an open-world game where there was no specific direction to go.

Thrawn3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Thrawn3d
Member since 2010 • 81 Posts

Final Fantasy 10.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Persona 3. No wait! Persona 4. No, 3! Let's just say Persona 3 and 4 are tied.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] seems like it was simply called King's Field 4 over here, I might try it out sometime next month , thanks for the recommendationEmerald_Warrior

I've never played the game. But I've heard people say that Demon's Soul is the spiritual successor to the King's Field series, which is one of the main reasons I want a PS3. However one thing that really jumps out at me as different is that I've heard people the describe the game as having stages or levels. King's Field games, while not as big as say Morrowind or Oblivion, was still an open-world game where there was no specific direction to go.

They're not set up as levels in the traditional sense; it's still quite open just not as open as King's Field or The Elder Scrolls. There is a hub world that has gateways connecting to all of the "worlds" in the game. These areas are then split up, usually with a boss encounter, and can then be traversed freely. So once I beat the entire first "world", I can freely traverse back and forth between 1-1 and 1-5 (no loading screens; its all seamless). That being said there is no set path to take either, just because I beat world 1-1 doesn't mean I have to do world 1-2 right after. I can go to world 2-1 or 3-1, etc, etc. Some times your character isn't strong enough or have the right equipment, so jumping around between worlds as you see fit is quite necessary. I promise it's not as complicated as my terrible description sounds lol :P
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

A quick question to all those who posted Final Fantasy X, what made you prefer that game over XII? ( I am not saying it is wrong I just would like to know, you do not have to answer).

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Emerald_Warrior

I just wanted to add for Darkman and anyone else considering KF: The game has a complete sense of solitude. You won't find sprawling cities like Oblivion.

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
2. Final Fantasy XII
3. Persona 4
4. Digital Devil Saga
5. Persona 3 FES

Well as you can see, SMT is my favorite RPG series. The only PS2-SMT game I didn't enjoy was the Soulless Army.

me1on_cho1y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 me1on_cho1y
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Final Fantasy 12. Awesome graphic!

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Dragon Quest VIII

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#31 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Final Fantasy X

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darkman2007

I just wanted to add for Darkman and anyone else considering KF: The game has a complete sense of solitude. You won't find sprawling cities like Oblivion.

Emerald_Warrior
well, I liked Panzer Saga which also has a sense of solitude (therer are only 2 towns and a camp for resting and saving), so thats not a big issue.
Avatar image for strategik_basic
strategik_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 strategik_basic
Member since 2002 • 364 Posts

Shadow Hearts

Shadow Hearts 2

Disgaea

Disgaea 2

Rogue Galaxy

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

It is not even close for me
Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are my favorite PS2 game (I consider them to be one long story).
IMO, the perfect turn-based RPG (or as close as one can get)

ab

Then FFX (the best FF IMO)
c

I also enjoyed Suikoden 3 and 5
de

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts

Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are my favorite PS2 game (I consider them to be one long story).

ab

rawsavon
^ This although I only played Covenant and indeed is my favorite PS2 JRPG, I should track the first part.
GunnerSCF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GunnerSCF
Member since 2010 • 47 Posts

Oh yea!Shadow Hearts:Covenant is one mighty amazing RPG8)

I recommend it to all RPG lovers who haven`t played it yet.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

ab

SciFiCat

^ This although I only played Covenant and indeed is my favorite PS2 JRPG, I should track the first part.

You should.

I could not imagine playing the second without the first.
My guess is that you will then want to play the second again and will see things much differently. (especially Yuri and Alice)

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#38 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I'm gonna go with DQVIII.
cronomagus36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 cronomagus36
Member since 2009 • 12663 Posts

Final Fantasy X, with Kingdom Hearts II in a close second. Pretty mainstream choices, but hey.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts

[QUOTE="SciFiCat"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]

ab

rawsavon

You should.

My guess is that you will then want to play the second again and will see things much differently. (especially Yuri and Alice)

I got a pretty good idea of the vibe of the first game by playing the second, which makes pretty clear about what happened to Yuri and Alice. I even figured out that the ending of the second game pretty much brought the story full circle to the beginning of the first, that said, I would not mind playing the SH1 even knowing how the fate of the main characters ends. It is about the journey, not the destination.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (parts 1 and 2) would be my top recommendation for PS2. Since you like Dragon Quest and Persona I don't see any way it could disappoint you. Also, I would suggest Suikoden 3 and 5. I'll warn you though, Suikoden 5 has a very slow start and takes about 6 hours to really get going.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#42 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

Suikoden 3, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy XII

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]

[QUOTE="SciFiCat"] ^ This although I only played Covenant and indeed is my favorite PS2 JRPG, I should track the first part.SciFiCat

You should.

I got a pretty good idea of the vibe of the first game by playing the second, which makes pretty clear about what happened to Yuri and Alice. I even figured out that the ending of the second game pretty much brought the story full circle to the beginning of the first, that said, I would not mind playing the SH1 even knowing how the fate of the main characters ends. It is about the journey, not the destination.

Both games have 2 endings.
In part 1 there is a clear cut good and bad ending.

Part 2 goes off the bad ending from part 1.

But IMO one of the seconds game's endings means more having played the first game
(that was harder than it should have been...trying to avoid spoilers)

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

Kingdom Hearts

zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts
shadow hearts is a pretty good game, way underrated , it has a great story and great soundtrack ,also the gameplay is quite unique .
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#46 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

Persona 4

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

SpideR_CentS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 SpideR_CentS
Member since 2006 • 4766 Posts

Kingdom Hearts II for me.

I do disagree with your statement that the 360 doesn't have RPGs tho. Pretty sure it has more then any other system this gen.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#49 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

A quick question to all those who posted Final Fantasy X, what made you prefer that game over XII? ( I am not saying it is wrong I just would like to know, you do not have to answer).

Banjo_Kongfooie

I think Final Fantasy XII is an EXCELLENT game. However, being a fan of the series since Final Fantasy III (SNES), the first Final Fantasy game on the PS2 was a great evolution of the series in so many ways. Thecharacter voices? I thought this was a big deal considering it hasn't be done before in the series. Combinethat withan awesome cast of characters, great graphics, excellent soundtrack, and epic story it's a winner. Personally Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy VII (PS1) are my two favorites.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Kingdom Hearts is my favorite followed by Final Fantasy X.