What is your favorite genre of games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by almoalgam (81 posts) -

so....vote for your favorite genre

i kept 4 main options and an other option

feel free to mention which

also feel free post your favorite game/s of that genre if you have the time

#2 Posted by Lucianu (9417 posts) -

Right now it's shmups, i can't get enough of them. Playing each difficulty one step at a time, and mastering each difficulty is ridiculously addicting, entertaining and satisfying.

RPGs and Adventure games would come second.

#3 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7775 posts) -

Racing.

#4 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
RPGs.
#5 Posted by Namgis (3577 posts) -

I really don't have one. I enjoy most. If you go by my games list here, it's a tie between Fantasy Action Adventure and Sci-Fi Shooter.

#6 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

platformer

#7 Posted by Heirren (17068 posts) -
This may seem like an odd answer, but I like games within any genre that have rhythm to the gameplay. Whether it be a shootemup, fighter, or a game like Mario64--games where player control can be improved and developed over time, where there is a clear difference between a novice and experienced player.
#8 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1147 posts) -
Action adventure.
#9 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

I love shooters.

#10 Posted by SoNin360 (5476 posts) -
Open world games of most genres (FPS, RPG, Racing, etc.)
#11 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

RPGs...

#12 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

Platformers! In particular the Super Mario Bros. and New Super Mario Bros. series with Super Mario 64 being my favorite game of all time.

#13 Posted by Sushiglutton (5301 posts) -
Action/adventure games with gadgets, puzzles, combat and a dense open world. Preferably no grinding, loot, XP and that stuff. Focus on pure moment to moment gameplay. Story is not that important and should above all not get in the way of gameplay. Interesting artstyle is a huge plus. Games like Darksiders, Zelda and the Arkham games are prime examples.
#14 Posted by sukraj (22775 posts) -

Open world shooters

#15 Posted by Qraziguy (15 posts) -

RPGs, hands down.

#16 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

1. FPS

2. RPG

3. Action Adventure

4.RTS

5.Platformers/Indie games

#17 Posted by Cloud_765 (111391 posts) -
RPGs. How dare this not be in the poll. :x It IS a major genre...
#18 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

JRPGs, Platformers, Puzzlers, and Action Games.

#19 Posted by Ragnarok-64 (1295 posts) -

JRPGS mainly but RPGs - Was surprised it was listed as 'other' considering how big it is, but that could be all me :P

Besides that it would go with puzzles, platformers and adventures behind them.

#20 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

RPG and Strategy are tied for my favorite. Love games like total war, elder scrolls, mount and blade, etc etc. Also love action adventure and fps.

#21 Posted by strategyfn (334 posts) -

Strategy for me. I can spend hours on it, and I get immersed. I hate typical RTS, i.e. Command and Conquer, for the most part though.

Favourite current strategy game would be Hearts of Iron III.

#22 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -

1: SRPG (Valkyria Chronicles, Langrisser, Fire Emblem, Super Robot Teisen, Shining Force, Ogre Battles, etc)

2: Strategy (Shogun 2, Napoleon Total War, King Arthur The Roleplaying Wargame, XCom, Jagged Alliance 2, etc)

3 WRPG (Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout 1-2, Planescape Torment, etc)

I hate typical RTS, i.e. Command and Conquer, for the most part though.

So do I. I really don't like gathering reasources and working on building and a base at the same time. I prefer to focus on a long term plan over a map or just my unit tactics in a current battle. I do like the ones like Dawn of War 2 or Copmany of Heroes where you can focus more on the actual battle.

#23 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
This may seem like an odd answer, but I like games within any genre that have rhythm to the gameplay. Whether it be a shootemup, fighter, or a game like Mario64--games where player control can be improved and developed over time, where there is a clear difference between a novice and experienced player.Heirren
i read this and said 'lolwut', though for a few seconds, then realized i'm the same exact way. i want people to know that i'm a mofo the moment they see me.
#24 Posted by wiouds (5198 posts) -

JRPG
WRPG
Shooters

#25 Posted by Dexter-010 (533 posts) -
1. Racing 2. Action/Adventure 3. FPS/TPS
#26 Posted by dbz987 (3717 posts) -

1. JRPGS
2. Action/Adeventure
3. Platformers
4. Third-Person Shotters 

#27 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -
Melee action games. Everything from Samurai Warriors to Batman: Arkham.
#28 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

My favorite of all time would have to be 2D Platformers/Side Scrollers in the likes of Castlevania/Mega Man.

Second would have to be JRPGs and 3D Platformers.

#29 Posted by Kaim91 (967 posts) -

RPGs, easily. I don't generally prefer JRPGs over WRPGs or the other way around though. I just generally love RPG games :)

#30 Posted by PumpkinBoogie (3366 posts) -
Action/adventure definitely: hack and slasher; open world games stuff like that. But I also get into RPGs, too, and I love brawler RPGs--like Yakuza series. Followed by puzzle/mystery games, fighters, and racing.
#31 Posted by TheLoneMortal (818 posts) -

RPGs, easily. I don't generally prefer JRPGs over WRPGs or the other way around though. I just generally love RPG games :)

Kaim91

Same here.

The others for me:

2. Action/Adventure

3. Strategy (RTS, 4x, TBS)

4. Fighting

5. Tie for Platformers and FPS

#32 Posted by jcopp72 (5336 posts) -

open world is my favorite genre and also really like action games.

ps. I swear that I have seen a lot of these threads asking this same question.

#33 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

I say action/adventure because pretty much all of Rockstar's games fit in that category but I love RPGs as well.

#34 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

my favorite genre is RPG, specifically JRPG.

#35 Posted by Ballroompirate (22901 posts) -

I have to say it's a tie between WRPGs and TPS.

#36 Posted by Ricardo41 (1031 posts) -

Easy as pie: Epic shooters, with rp elements thrown in. 

#37 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

I like games in most genres, preferably Survival Horror and First-Person shooter games.

#38 Posted by unrealtron (3148 posts) -
Action, adventure. I have alot fun when they are sandbox, too.
#39 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

I seem to immediately think open world.

freakin' loved Fallout 3, Fallout : New Vegas, the Assassin's Creed games, inFamous games, and Batman : Arkham games, Gravity Rush, Grand Theft Auto series. just.... I have a blast in those game worlds.

behind that i guss, FPS's though unless modern military shooters at least TRY to tell a story, whether it be thought provoking as Spec Ops : The Line, or as entertaining as Black Ops 2 i'm pretty much out. and that's the crazy thing. i think you CAN do compelling stories in modern day settings, that can be either provoking or really well told entertaining. except now it's saturated with games really not telling you much about why your doing what your doing. 

but then you go into multiplayer, and i freakin' love Battlefield 3's multiplayer component. graphically it looks amazing in both single and multi, but i never went back to the single. 

after that it's action/adventures games like Enslaved, Heavenly Sword, God of War, etc. 

then the RTS/Strategy games like the Westwood Command and Conquer games, Company of Heroes, Age of Empire, Civilization, XCOM Enemy Unknown, etc. 

#40 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71726 posts) -
Racing, sports, rpg/mmo and action adventure
#41 Posted by Saxonhoo (412 posts) -

Strategy games. Total War, Dawn of War. So on, so forth.

#42 Posted by Skinon (86 posts) -

Horror/RPG/FPS

#43 Posted by dsomg (11 posts) -
I like puzzles, draw-something type and more. Especially if it is played online. Just sharing :) Casted my vote away ...
#44 Posted by Fezzinator101 (228 posts) -
  • Platformers
  • Racing
  • Shooters(both fps & tps)
  • Survival Horror
  • Stealth
  • Car Combat
  • Beat em ups
  • Action Adventure
#45 Posted by Kingolden (17 posts) -
Fighting Racing Action