What is the combat like in Dragon Age Inquisition?

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

I've never played a Dragon Age game before, so I have no idea what the combat system is like, and I can't really tell from any of the videos/reviews.

Is the combat action-oriented (i.e. something like the Witcher 2 or Dark Souls) or is it more point-and-click (i.e. the first Witcher or Guild Wars).

I'd like to get this game, but I need to know the combat doesn't suck.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

le bump

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

It's bad. Not good from an action or tactical standpoint, but that's what happens when shitty mainstream devs like Bio and Beth make games for the masses and try and please everybody from little Sarah to grandmothers.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

It's very good. You can play it using an action-oriented style or play it tactical by issuing commands to each individual party member. You can also customise how your teammates behave with various AI options. I've mainly been playing the action-oriented way and so far things seem to be going just fine.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Archangel3371: Were you born this casual, or did you have to work really hard at it ?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

@bussinrounds said:

@Archangel3371: Were you born this casual, or did you have to work really hard at it ?

Were you born this funny or do you have to work this hard at it? Either way your posts are always a joke.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Someone's butthurt that they didn't make the fighting require 77 key button combo's to execute. lol, classic.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@bussinrounds

You label anything you don't like as "Casual" ?

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#9 hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

The combat is much better suitable for PC than console. That's the only thing I can say.

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

@hxce said:

The combat is much better suitable for PC than console. That's the only thing I can say.

The opposite is the truth I believe.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@hxce said:

Now way! Everything from the UI to the way the characters control works better on a gamepad. I only got a few hours into the gaming using m/kb when I decided to switched to my 360 controller and I'm not going back.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Sort of sucks. They should have just stuck with the formula from DA2. It worked just fine.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

It's very good once you get the hang of it, just takes a little time to get used to it. Once you do it feels second nature.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

It is boring and offer nothing. I just spam two keys to win. Worse is the level system it has. One of the worse if not the worse level system I have seen in a RPG. The only good part in the game play is the healing system.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@wiouds

Its them Stats ! They sneak up on ya...

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I might pick it up next year when it comes down in price or I might wait for the witcher 3.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

It's very good. You can play it using an action-oriented style or play it tactical by issuing commands to each individual party member. You can also customise how your teammates behave with various AI options.

This. I use both aspects of combat, tactical mostly against tougher opponents. I quite enjoy issuing commands to my team, combining different abilities for maximum damage. Against weaker enemies I just go full action.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wiouds

@johnd13 said:

@Archangel3371 said:

It's very good. You can play it using an action-oriented style or play it tactical by issuing commands to each individual party member. You can also customise how your teammates behave with various AI options.

This. I use both aspects of combat, tactical mostly against tougher opponents. I quite enjoy issuing commands to my team, combining different abilities for maximum damage. Against weaker enemies I just go full action.

I just hold the attack button and use the same two attacks buttons. I just find that game offer nothing fun about the combat.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@wiouds said:

@johnd13 said:

@Archangel3371 said:

I just hold the attack button and use the same two attacks buttons. I just find that game offer nothing fun about the combat.

Are you still in the Prologue or sth? When faced with enemies that are higher level you just can't survive by your tactic(unless I just suck :P). I think it's necessary to carefully plan your team's movements and attacks-abilities(which lead to effective combos) in order to bring down the tougher monsters. Like you, this type of combat kinda put me off when i first played Origins but later on I came to respect it and now in Inquisition(which is a lot more fluid) even enjoy it.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wiouds

@johnd13 said:

@wiouds said:

@johnd13 said:

@Archangel3371 said:

Are you still in the Prologue or sth? When faced with enemies that are higher level you just can't survive by your tactic(unless I just suck :P). I think it's necessary to carefully plan your team's movements and attacks-abilities(which lead to effective combos) in order to bring down the tougher monsters. Like you, this type of combat kinda put me off when i first played Origins but later on I came to respect it and now in Inquisition(which is a lot more fluid) even enjoy it.

I left the winter palace. I largest problem with DA3 is that they try to make it accessible and made it too much and removed requiring any depth to game play including the level system. Pick on from a skill tree suck and no control over the stats suck.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@wiouds

Its only as fun as much as you are willing to put into it.

Just like Devil May Cry or Arkham Asylum, both games can be completed eaily and alot more quickly if you just repeat the same bare minimum strategy for every scenario... You'l have more fun if you use the quick fire gadgets....

Thats where games are headed with all this accessability and streamlining stuff.

Its no longer about forcing the player into using all the features.