What is the best horror game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alanissak320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 alanissak320
Member since 2015 • 103 Posts

The games i have played and enjoyed are P.T. (playable teaser) Silent hills, outlast (not really horror but still...), and a couple of other which i dont remember the names. I started to really enjoy horror games but i dont see many good ones. I also would love to see a multiplexer horror game. So any suggestions???

I have

xbox 360

ps3

ps4

xbox one

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

My Horror game list I enjoy and find to be very frightening: Dead Space trilogy, DOOM 3, Silent Hill 2, first Resident Evil, (on Gamecube) and The Suffering.

alanissak320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alanissak320

@davillain-: oh i completely forgot about dead space i loved it. I believe the 3rd one is the newest i had it but didnt finish it

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@alanissak320 said:

The games i have played and enjoyed are P.T. (playable teaser) Silent hills, outlast (not really horror but still...), and a couple of other which i dont remember the names. I started to really enjoy horror games but i dont see many good ones. I also would love to see a multiplexer horror game. So any suggestions???

I have

xbox 360

ps3

ps4

xbox one

Since you seem to get what actual horror is (at least by my version of what it is).

Silent Hill 1, 2 and 3 are great. SH2 is one of my all time favorite games.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent also ranks up there pretty high.

-Byshop

alanissak320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 alanissak320

@Byshop: i have silent hills homecoming but never played it because i was really hyped on P.T.

I mostly game on consoles especially when i had to factory reset my pc. I just dont want to re-download all my games. Is amnesia on any of the consoles like outlast is.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Evil Within

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I love horror games but I'm all horror gamed out at the moment. I would try the new resident evil hd remaster if you are looking for new games to play. I played it on the gamecube years ago and loved it so I will buy it on pc when I'm in the mood for more horror as it looks really good.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#8 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

For the the 360 or PS3, I would recommend RE4 and the Dead Space Trilogy and for the XB1 or PS4, Outlast and the Evil Within.

KillerK1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KillerK1ng
Member since 2014 • 135 Posts

people who say outlast are lying, its awful. I can confirm they're are no good horror games. Alien if meant to be good... its not horror. Stick 2 slenderman. best out there.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

The Silent Hill series is great, with the scariest being 3 IMO, and Cry of Fear is a completely free to play Half Life 2 mod on Steam. I'd also recommend Evil Within, but it's more a well done action game than horror game. I loved it, but it's not very scary.

Also, Outlast sucks.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

PC is what you need for horror games

Amnesia dark descent

Call of kuthulu

Penumbra over turure

Penumbra black plague

Cry of fear

Among the sleep(sort of)

Cyrostasis

Scratches

Coming up horror on PC are

Routine

Asylum

Some of those games are great, some good and some ok, but at least there's options in the genre on PC

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Silent Hill HD collection for your ps3 and also RE HD RE off of psn for 20 dollars.

The best horror game i've played is Eternal Darkness. Too bad you don't have a Wii.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 turtlethetaffer

@thehig1: CRY OF FEAR

(high fives)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

The Evil Within was very good. The Condemned and Dead Space games are also some really good ones as well.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2 are my two fav horror games of all time. Dead Space should have just stopped after the first game...

Oh and can't beieve idiots are hating on Outlast. Both the main game and DLC episode were fantastic and in general it is the best horror game to have come along in YEARS.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Byshop  Moderator

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2 are my two fav horror games of all time. Dead Space should have just stopped after the first game...

Oh and can't beieve idiots are hating on Outlast. Both the main game and DLC episode were fantastic and in general it is the best horror game to have come along in YEARS.

It's a well made game, but it's one series of jump scares after another which is the slasher movie equivilent of horror. It doesn't have the haunting stories and awesome atmosphere of something like SH2. The Dead Space series I have a similar complaint about.

For me, horror is about a sort of "uncanney valley" of a situation. Something familiar, but... off. Like the gloomy, apparently abandoned town of Silent Hill that you wander around. Dead Space is just one "hellbeast jumps out of an air vent" after another. It gets old and it stops being scary pretty fast. If you put the player in some crazy, over the top situation from the beginning, then there's no normal baseline for the game to pull you out of.

-Byshop

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

@Byshop: It may be a tad reliant on jump scares at times, but Outlast also has a lot of atmosphere. One of the creepiest moments has to be at the beginning when they force you to walk through that sitting room where there are 3 patients just sitting there watching a TV with nothing but blood and static on it and then that creepy music kicks in. I kept anticipating a jump scare and got incredibly anxious. I had actually had.to talk myself into going in that room to begin wih after I searched and searched for some other way of moving forward.

In general I really LOVE the way the game has both friendly and non-friendly patients. It adds a whole new level of tension when you never know whether or not someone is going to attack you. I also feel like the game added a lot of atmosphere with the random bits of insanity you come across, like the guy who they suggest is pleasuring himself by a dead body and he just keeps saying "silky silky silky".

Also, if you haven't played the Whistle Blower DLC, it has a guy called The Groom who has to be one of the best psychos I have seen in a horror game. He is so many kinds of fucked up...

Michformer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Michformer
Member since 2008 • 167 Posts

Easily the Condemned series. Great atmosphere, great combat, great everything! The first game is available on 360 and PC, whereas the sequel is available on PS3 and 360.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Overall alien isolation resident evil hd dead space series condemned silent hill series doom 3 alan wake fear for ps3 ps4 Xbox 360 xbox one

ice_ranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ice_ranger
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

I agree with a lot of people above Outlast was intense. I'm currently playing Dying Light become scary during the night you won't know what grabbed you from behind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

no one suggested Siren: Blood curse yet? makes me kind of sad :\ a PS3 game btw.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Byshop  Moderator

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Byshop: It may be a tad reliant on jump scares at times, but Outlast also has a lot of atmosphere. One of the creepiest moments has to be at the beginning when they force you to walk through that sitting room where there are 3 patients just sitting there watching a TV with nothing but blood and static on it and then that creepy music kicks in. I kept anticipating a jump scare and got incredibly anxious. I had actually had.to talk myself into going in that room to begin wih after I searched and searched for some other way of moving forward.

In general I really LOVE the way the game has both friendly and non-friendly patients. It adds a whole new level of tension when you never know whether or not someone is going to attack you. I also feel like the game added a lot of atmosphere with the random bits of insanity you come across, like the guy who they suggest is pleasuring himself by a dead body and he just keeps saying "silky silky silky".

Also, if you haven't played the Whistle Blower DLC, it has a guy called The Groom who has to be one of the best psychos I have seen in a horror game. He is so many kinds of fucked up...

It's well put together and a hell of a lot better than even some AAA games that claim to be horror (like Dead Space 3) but it was a bit too "overt" for my tastes. When games are too crazy over the top with the setting and scares it starts to feel less like a real place where you are in danger and more like a haunted house with fixed jump moments. Evil Within had a similar problem, although in the case of that game it was much worse.

One thing I will say for Outlast is that it works great with 3D and pretty well with the Oculus using 3rd party drivers.

-Byshop

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#24 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
  • Alan Wake
  • Amnesia (If you have a mid range PC)
  • Dead Space trilogy
  • Resident Evil series
  • Outlast

Best of the list is Alan Wake. Followed closely by Dead Space and Amnesia.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By turtlethetaffer

@LostProphetFLCL: Outlast represents everything wrong with modern horror games. It's reliant almost entirely on cheap, predictable jump scares, uses an insane amount of horror tropes in the most bland way possible and has almost zero replay value. I haven't played the DLC, but the main game was mediocre. Aside from the graphics. They were pretty I guess. Also the ending wasn't even an ending. It carried on that proud tradition of having an incomplete story for the sake of DLC.

Cry of Fear is an example of a modern horror game done right. It's intense, downright disturbing, has a superb atmosphere, tons of unlockables, multiple endings and even Co op... And it's 100% free. It manages to be better than most modern horror games and it's a goddamn source mod.

alanissak320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By alanissak320

Sorry for late replies

@sukraj: i heard that was really good

@Jshoelace: I never played resident evil but i may plan on doing so since the series got more popular

@MarcRecon: I tried dead space didnt enjoy it too much since i was new to the series but i want to get it again for the heck of it.

@killerk1ng: i actually enjoyed outlast but its not more horror compared to action/strategy

@jimseek: I do love outlast i watched walkthroughs but started playing last moth

@turtlethetaffer: i am so far impressed with silent hill especially P.T. and once i finish some of my new games i will get evil within

@thehig1: although i am not a fan of pc gaming due to the fact that my pc is supposed to be a gaming pc but can hardly launch battlefield or COD without crashing i got to admit pc has way more horror games then console

@TheHighWind: is the collection also on 360 my ps3 only has 40 gb and cant download much

@Archangel3371: But what is evil within actually about

@LostProphetFLCL: your right outlast is good but i do understand why people hate on it because its not really horror its more action/ strategy

@Michformer: i will look that one up

@CTR360: was alan wake really good in comparison to dead space or silent hill my friend really hated alan wake said it was boring

@ice_ranger: i believe you were the first to mention dying light is it fun single player or multiplayer

@Maddie_Larkin: i will also look that up

@Cloud_imperium: so what is alan wake about i know its been out since like 2011 or 2012

Well i replied to everyone once again sorry for late replies i have not been on my computer all weekend

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#27 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 705 Posts

If you have a PC get System Shock 2.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

WoW.... First time people leave out President Evil........

GOOD !

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Because it wasn't scary at all xD

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@dylandr:

Obviously...... but then again very few So Called Survival Horrow games are....

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#31 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: pff just get L4D2 with teletubbie mod you will be scarred, scared and surviving!