what genres do you dislike and why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts

Sport and racing Sims for me. The former getting marginal updates yearly trying to imitate something you can watch or play in real life with automated plays due to limited button option. The later die to them being nothing but driving in a straight line. Nascar  without left turns basically.

geitenvla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 geitenvla
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

In general I mostly play strategy games, doesn't really matter what kind. Building and managing (SimCity), 4x, TBS, RTS or a hybrid... I love strategy. Genres I really dislike are FPS and RPG although there are some titles which I really enjoyed like COD 1 and 2 or Morrowind for example. So despite the majority of my gaming has always involved strategy games, I don't feel necessarily tied to the genre and I do have fun with genres I wouldn't normaly play.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I dislike the majority of platformers.  Because most of them really haven't changed since the NES days.

Rayrota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Rayrota
Member since 2005 • 1456 Posts

JRPGs, for obvious reasons.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Simulators, Strategy, Puzzle and Party games.

Simulators just aren't videogames so I don't like them.

Strategy require a lot of time dedicated to them.

Puzzle games like Bejeweled are just repetitive, not fun and not rewarding

Party games are just awful

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

Generic military shooters

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

While I do enjoy a good horror-based survival genres, I never really liked the countless generic zombie shooters. They never seemed too interesting. Also for the most part, I hate most games that deal with the turn-based combat system. On the longer battles they feel more like a chore than being fun.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

WRPGs, for obvious reasons.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
Fighting games are the only one for me. I just can't be bothered learning all the moves and I just find them repetitive
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

None, there's always something in any genre that i'll find entertaining.

However my least-favourite genre is JRPG due to the non-interaction of most of the games, though there are still a couple i've enjoyed (most notably Valkyrie Profile 2).

EDIT: Ooh i know!

Dancing games. F&%* that!

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Think to some degree dislike adventure games, open-world games, wrpgs. Though tend to enjoy playing them for awhile but always find myself not finishing games within these genres.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
RPG's. I was playing a boss fight in Final Fantasy and had my ass handed to me, I though I did something wrong, I thought I sucked, so I gave up on it. Then one day I played it again, a new playthrough, turns out I didn't suck, my party did. Never again will I play a game with an arbitrary brickwall like not having high enough attributes (Dark Souls). I had a simular experience in NFS Underground, I lost a race because they pit me against faster cars. And then theres Mass Effect, I couldn't save Wrex because I didn't have enough intimidation points. RPG's might aswell just play themselves.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

For, me FPS and shooters in general to an extent.  I prefer games where you have to do a little thinking and planning when forming a party or leveling a character. I like having to make somewhat intelligent decisions on how I customize my character/party as I level for the tactics I'll be using.  Most FPS I've played to seem overly simplistic as far as strategy and thinking go and get real boring real quick for me.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts
  • 2d platformers- its probably why i dint buy 2 many nes or snes games. i found it boring after like 30 minutes. i still play it once in awhile but not really into it. even action games
  • puzzle games like myst. fun in spurts especially in mobile gaming....but i cant stand it for long.
  • vehicle combat games from twisted metal to ace combat- i couldnt tell you why but they just dont spark my interest. 
  • arcade racers- no skill. i need something that takes into account breaking. none of this one button drifts
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
  • arcade racers- no skill. i need something that takes into account breaking. none of this one button drifts
jsmoke03
I wasn't happy when Codemasters made DiRT SHOWDOWN like that. At the very least I was hoping they would've used the exact same physics engine from DiRT 3 Untweeked, that would've made showdown excellent.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#16 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts
Racing Sims (ala GT and Forza). I prefer the faster, arcade racers.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I like pretty much all genres, but I'll never buy those annual sports releases. I rarely play games when I buy them, sometimes waiting even 2-3 years to get to them, so buying a game those loses 95% of its value in a 1 year is silly(looking at you NHL 11, what a dumb decision....) I also never really got into any racers besides Mario Kart, which is enough for me. I would say simulators, but I love Tropico and Animal Crossing, but I'll never play TRUCK or FARM sim 2012 etc....
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Sport and racing Sims for me. The former getting marginal updates yearly trying to imitate something you can watch or play in real life with automated plays due to limited button option. The later die to them being nothing but driving in a straight line. Nascar  without left turns basically.

Yo-SUP

Pardon?

What I think you meant:

"The [latter due] to them (sim-racing) being nothing but driving in a straight line. NASCAR without left turns basically."

So, Sim-Racing games are all drag racing? Explain, please.

:?

jaypakavelya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jaypakavelya
Member since 2007 • 270 Posts

fighting games , they get boring fast for me and racing games

TrickRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TrickRider
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I've never really been able to get into point and click games

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#21 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Racing is the only genre I have never liked at all. I hate cars and driving in real life and that seems to have carried over to games. I'm not a big fan of sports and rhythm games but I've gotten some enjoyment out of them in the past.
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Sports games, because it's ridiculous.  Taking all the sport out of the sport, go do it yourself and when you're tired, watch some instead.

Strategy games, not games that require strategy of course but the strategy genre's.  And puzzle games.

Fighting games for the same reason as sports games, and also because it takes a ridiculous amount of time and commitment to get good at them, and they just plain suck.  If I had to play some madden or something for a short burst, I could have fun with it. 

FPS games, all of them.  But if it's just a really short burst, I could have fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

jsmoke03

Yeah, so racers in general for me.

NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

I don't dislike any of them, however genres I do not actively pay attention to for reasons like me sucking at them and there not being enough games I'm interested in are:

Fighting games, sports games, RTS and life simulators

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

RTS - Most likely because I suck at them, and they're just too slow for me.
Sports (exception: Tony Hawk) - I just hate sports.
MMORPGs - Endless reasons...
Music/Party games - idk I just do...
Trivia/Puzzle games - idk

Oh, and I also DESPISE any game that incorporates RTS elements (Brutal Legend, Final Fantasy VII, Black Ops II, etc.)

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

Turn based Strategy games because i can play chess anytime instead

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I've never really been able to get into WRPGs. From what I've played they generally have a darker more serious tone, and for the most part their worlds just don't seem like places I would want to visit. I've never liked racing or sports games unless they're pretty whimsical, like Mario Kart and Mario Tennis. 

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Games such as Sim City just don't interest me. Niether do MMO's Why for MMO's I just prefer to play on my own time. With an MMO you cannot always do that. You have to arrange a time for a session with the others. As for Sim City Games. It is the micromangement aspect of both genres that I dislike.

I'm not a micromangement person and I don't get along with people who are Micromangers.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
Platformers and fighting games,I used to like some games in both genres back in the day but aside some very minor exceptions I don´t enjoy playing them anymore. Recently got P4 Arena simply because I really like P4 and the game advertised an in depth story mode for each character,for a while it was fun but after a few short hours I didn´t even cared anymore.