What genre produces generally the most annoying games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I pick JRPGs because of stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

you can pretty much ignore that Video button on toolbar and just go ahead and post the link to the video.

But I'm gonna say stealth games. Now, games that feature stealth aren't so bad, but the ones that force you into it...

Stealth mechanics are woefully dated. Vision cones are moronic. Evil corporations should probably consider glaucoma tests before hiring their security. But I suppose they all make up for it with their hive-mind communication abilities, allowing a guard that spots you to communicate your position instantaneously to everyone in the room without so much as a word. Also, a room of dead bodies was never "just the wind," so you might want to keep checking instead of shutting the alarm off. And further more, double up your security and have them stay in contact (you know, like real security)...no more of this "hey, Murray, I'm gonna check this completely dark and secluded part of the room alone while you go off in the opposite direction..."

shitty, shitty genre.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

@Pffrbt: You beat me to it.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pffrbt

@Ish_basic: I think you're expecting too much realism in what's designed to be a game.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ish_basic

@Pffrbt said:

I pick JRPGs because of stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

oh, I see. Lymle.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ish_basic

@Pffrbt said:

@Ish_basic: I think you're expecting too much realism in what's designed to be a game.

I don't think so, considering such narrow vision cones only exist in the stealth genre. Go back to MGS2 and you have AI that had to actually communicate to others your presence, giving you the opportunity to take them down before they could get their walkie out. And then there's Hitman 2 - once you blow your cover the whole place goes on alert and doesn't come down until you're dead. The AI will actually change routines. For example, they might try to usher the VIP to safety, which you can sometimes use to your advantage. So the technology is there, but no one puts it together. We just accept crap like Splinter Cell. That's the problem, not technology.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

First person shooters, especially those of the military variety. They're filled with tired cliches of macho cowboys and gung-ho tough guys, over-dramatic shouting and Michael Bay explosions.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

RPGs.

because of Artificial Everything ! Its Glorified Make Believe.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ish_basic

@Lulu_Lulu said:

RPGs.

because of Artificial Everything ! Its Glorified Make Believe.

*blindsided*

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

just being honest. Can't sit through another skill check.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

you can pretty much ignore that Video button on toolbar and just go ahead and post the link to the video.

But I'm gonna say stealth games. Now, games that feature stealth aren't so bad, but the ones that force you into it...

Stealth mechanics are woefully dated. Vision cones are moronic. Evil corporations should probably consider glaucoma tests before hiring their security. But I suppose they all make up for it with their hive-mind communication abilities, allowing a guard that spots you to communicate your position instantaneously to everyone in the room without so much as a word. Also, a room of dead bodies was never "just the wind," so you might want to keep checking instead of shutting the alarm off. And further more, double up your security and have them stay in contact (you know, like real security)...no more of this "hey, Murray, I'm gonna check this completely dark and secluded part of the room alone while you go off in the opposite direction..."

shitty, shitty genre.

You're my new best friend. :)

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Racing games

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

what's more annoying than MMORPG(aka Social Genre)? I'm sure that I've seen this more often than the others.I could have gone mad if I was to play a game like that,they're harder than I thought it would be

public reasons why I say this is that they have dumb and sometimes long quest. the way gamers played this genre could be more dangerous than an ordinary RPG gamer + you need the respective game's account to play it,sucks so bad,it's a fortunate I live in an "offline" realm.

to top it off,have you got a bad pet peeve with the shipload of chats? that's your answer right there,the chats pushed away concentration,which is undeniably 100% annoying.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I know "indie games" isn't a genre but there are some games that you look at and play them and just go, 'yeah this is an indie game.' Games like that annoy me. I can't really think of a particular genre that is annoying. Not using that exact word. There is something redeemable in every genre.

curiousarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 curiousarman
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts

Movie tie-ins

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Fighting Games, especially the 2-D ones like old school Tekken, Mortal Kombat, etc. I don't want to spend months learning the combos, only to be ousted by the AI or human opponent because I missed the timing of the trigger button of the 8x combo kick.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

@jasean79 said:

Fighting Games,

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

@Ish_basic:

I think the stealth genre is one that heavily regressed last generation. There were a couple stand out titles, but most of the dedicated stealth games abandoned their audience in favor of attracting a larger crowd. I think Hitman: Absolution and Splinter Cell Blacklist were fine games, but they were a far cry from the previous generation's outings.

Apparently, after the almost entirely negative reaction the gameplay footage, the guys developing the new Thief game have made it more traditional. We'll have to see how that plays out, because Thief used to be exceptional.

So I'd agree with the stealth genre, but I'm going to have cast my vote to JRPGs. I enjoy a lot of them, but there's a loooot of shit in that genre that's too tough to ignore.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Fighting games and JRPG´s.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#20 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I'd have to agree about JRPG's, but stealth games are up there for me too mostly because so many of them suffer from poor mechanics.

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

@Ish_basic: My favorites are the ones where the enemy openly spots you or you hurt them, and 5 seconds later they're like, "It must have been my imagination" before going back to relaxed guarding. I mean, really?

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

FPS's because 90% of them are carbon copies and extremely generic

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

lol that JRPG example provided by TC gave me pedo vibes, something dreamt up by a sick mind. Anyways..... JRPGs definitely.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ish_basic

@yngsten said:

lol that JRPG example provided by TC gave me pedo vibes, something dreamt up by a sick mind. Anyways..... JRPGs definitely.

At least she's dressed. Meracle (same game) is worse...scantily clad cat girl that looks like she's about 12. However all this pales to the Elins in Tera, which despite years of watching anime genuinely disturb me.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Just say for a start I hated Star Ocean because of that blatant pedophile crap it had going on with that character. I was ok with the cat girl not that i'm into furies (she's technically not classes as a furry anyway) I mean she's the games sultry character who your not surprised to find your character waking up next to after a hard session, but that seemingly 8 year old girl.. Flirting and putting herself into weird uncomfortable situations with the male characters barley short of asking them to stick their cock up her ass in any scene she's on the ship, made me want to puke on my console.

Also having played that game I can recall another weird moment where one character dresses as a school girl and flirts to you by calling you her "big brother". Fucking sick bastards.

Now for the topic.

JRPG.

Not for the same reasons, but because they tend to go OTT when it comes to difficult side bosses. I am pissed off trying to do any of the coliseum bosses in FF-13-2. They are impossible. No one has ever beaten them, no one, anyone who said they has are just saying that to make themselves sound cool, you didn't it's freaking impossible without some sort of cheat. U-Tube vids are all fake they never done it, it's all a lie.

Seriously, I don't get it. You max yourself out, you do everything your meant to, you follow a strategy guide as your unable to do it yourself but the guide itself seems to be living in some alternative reality. An example is one boss that spawns about 8 additional monsters, it recommends you go into a full offensive pattern to take them out fast, then focus on the big one. It seems to fail to realise that by going all out offence and dropping all form of defense, even at max level and gear one or two of your characters will get instantly wiped out by the sheer damage of an alpha strike of 10 mini end game additionals focusing all out on them.

Total crap.

I had to give up on it as it's just ridiculous I don't understand what i'm missing and I've tried almost everything. Only a JRPG can do this, but sometimes it goes beyond changeling and feels like bad design or masochist.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

all "retro" indie crappy 8 bit looking games. they really annoy me. its 2014 and i don't want to be playing games that look worse then games on the nintendo 30 years ago.

Its lazy untalented people making games and classifying them as retro to justify their garbage gameplay and graphics... ya 30 years ago it was ok, actually probably very hard to make a game when you think of the primitive tools they had to use to program for games back then. Now all the backbone of programming tools are out there, graphics, even the physics, and yet they make these garbage games.

Theres almost too many AAA games out there to play, why waste time playing ugly, terrible playing "retro" garbage looking games. Flooding the game space with garbage throw away games really bugs me, reminds me of the Atari and Commodore days where pretty much every game was unplayable.

Zjun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zjun
Member since 2013 • 147 Posts

Lol wut. No fighting games? Then get a 3DS or a Wii U already, why you guys playing Battlefield. -.-

tester_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tester_guy
Member since 2003 • 56 Posts

@nicecall said:

all "retro" indie crappy 8 bit looking games. they really annoy me. its 2014 and i don't want to be playing games that look worse then games on the nintendo 30 years ago.

Its lazy untalented people making games and classifying them as retro to justify their garbage gameplay and graphics... ya 30 years ago it was ok, actually probably very hard to make a game when you think of the primitive tools they had to use to program for games back then. Now all the backbone of programming tools are out there, graphics, even the physics, and yet they make these garbage games.

Theres almost too many AAA games out there to play, why waste time playing ugly, terrible playing "retro" garbage looking games. Flooding the game space with garbage throw away games really bugs me, reminds me of the Atari and Commodore days where pretty much every game was unplayable.

Sir, you have spoken my mind exactly about the recent resurgence of "retro" games. I think the last count was 50 billion hip cool retro platform jumping games, and they are ALL truly original and innovative (if today was 1982).

For me, the most over-done genre is first person shooters. Everyone and their mothers have a first person shooter that is completely original in the way you walk into a room and shoot things in the face. After that, the story takes you to another kind of room where you have to shoot more things in the face. The truly emotional and epic moment comes when you shoot a boss in the face in a forest environment. Seriously, there aren't that many things to shoot in the face before I get super bored. I think that's why I don't really finish many games anymore. I play for a few hours and then get kind of bored. Only open world games like Skyrim or DayZ or GTA can keep me entertained.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Well its not really a genre but its in a lot of games. Games that try and make the female characters look as slutty as possible.
In Devil May Cry 4:

In the cutscenes they made it look like she didn't even have underwear when doing flips lol. A lot of guys may like that shit but its just stupid fan service to me. I think it's cool when they're dressed up showing some cleavage but wearing clothes that make them look good instead of trashy. Like Trish, also in Devil May Cry.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pffrbt

@nicecall said:

Theres almost too many AAA games out there to play, why waste time playing ugly, terrible playing "retro" garbage looking games.

Probably because most "AAA" games are incredibly mindless and generic and boring.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pffrbt

@-paranorman- said:

Well its not really a genre but its in a lot of games. Games that try and make the female characters look as slutty as possible.

In Devil May Cry 4:

That character design is awesome. I should play DMC4 some day.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#32 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Military FPS games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bigboi500

@yngsten said:

I don't know why whenever a young girl is in a game, there are always people claiming "pedo, pedo!" even when they're not portrayed in any sexual fashion at all. It kind of seems more like a reflection of the accuser's own perverted mind more than anything else, in most cases.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

@yngsten said:

I don't know why whenever a young girl is in a game, there are always people claiming "pedo, pedo!" even when they're not portrayed in any sexual fashion at all. It kind of seems more like a reflection of the accuser's own perverted mind more than anything else, in most cases.

lol nice try, it's not about young girls in games, more about the dialogue going on in there which can be interpreted as a bit funny and maybe a tad disgusting to a normal person, and some humour might do you good.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ish_basic

@Bigboi500 said:

@yngsten said:

but we can all agree that exhibit A: click for a screenshot from Tera is over the top, no? That's an elin and it only comes in female. There are a lot of other races in the game and generally it was very common to hear people call Elin users pedos. And check this particular character's name...so you've got a guy playing a toon that looks like this....that doesn't creep you out?

Maybe it's just western sensibilities, but Elins made a lot of people who played and enjoyed that game uncomfortable. Rightfully so, I think. If you want to dress your adult characters up like that, fine, but depicting pre-pubescent bodies like that is disturbing.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pffrbt

There's a free to play Korean/Japanese MMO on Steam where the entire premise for the game was that people crash landed on a planet that turned them all into children for the sole purpose of trying to justify why there's a bunch of children running around in skimpy clothing doing perverted emotes. It's called Dragon Nest and it's creepy.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bigboi500

@Ish_basic said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@yngsten said:

but we can all agree that exhibit A: click for a screenshot from Tera is over the top, no? That's an elin and it only comes in female. There are a lot of other races in the game and generally it was very common to hear people call Elin users pedos. And check this particular character's name...so you've got a guy playing a toon that looks like this....that doesn't creep you out?

Maybe it's just western sensibilities, but Elins made a lot of people who played and enjoyed that game uncomfortable. Rightfully so, I think. If you want to dress your adult characters up like that, fine, but depicting pre-pubescent bodies like that is disturbing.

Eastern culture is just different from that of the West. They seem to not take stuff so seriously as others. As long as there's no blatant sexually explicit situations then what's left is just imagination from the eye of the beholder. If stuff like that bothers people, they should just flat out steer clear of that kind of content.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

FPS, because almost no one manages to tell an interesting story and only have the multplayer that's interesting. But Sports game can be annoying as hell because nothing changes with most of them

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Annoyance is highly subjective

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ish_basic

@Pffrbt said:

There's a free to play Korean/Japanese MMO on Steam where the entire premise for the game was that people crash landed on a planet that turned them all into children for the sole purpose of trying to justify why there's a bunch of children running around in skimpy clothing doing perverted emotes. It's called Dragon Nest and it's creepy.

They do the same thing with the Elin race, using lore to justify half-naked 8 year-old girl models in their game. Every time someone would call out an Elin user in general chat, they'd say something like, "but they're 200 year old tree spirits!" Right, and I'm sure that's why you picked one.

Just the fact that the devs are using lore to rationalize these depictions shows a guilty conscious. So there's clearly no cultural gap in their understanding of the issue; they just know they can get away with it in Japan/Korea.

iamllamapie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#42  Edited By iamllamapie
Member since 2012 • 297 Posts

Either JRPGs because I find their characters all the same, whiny and stories are slow and more of a chore to get through or military FPSs in which the Russians are invading and it's up to 'Murica to save the world from the once democratic, turned back to communist (god knows why) soviets. It talks for itself.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pffrbt

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Thanks Mr. Obvious, do you have anything to add to the topic? What genre do you think has the most annoying games?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

The most annoying genre is multiplaye genre, fps, moba´s

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Thanks Mr. Obvious, do you have anything to add to the topic? What genre do you think has the most annoying games?

Pffrbt

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Usually games that have "Tactical Espionage Action" in the title.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Yep JRPGs wins the cake.....slow...boring....asinine......convoluted.....and did I mentioned Slow, Boring and Asinine?

I'd rather play fast, mindless FPS games JUST TO HAVE FUN, over any Jrpgs any day, any time. I'm sorry, I just cannot possibly get into that Genre.

DarthGumballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarthGumballs
Member since 2013 • 226 Posts

Nintendo

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@nicecall said:

Theres almost too many AAA games out there to play, why waste time playing ugly, terrible playing "retro" garbage looking games.

Probably because most "AAA" games are incredibly mindless and generic and boring.

You're so cool and hip. Please tell us about all the bands you listen to that no one has ever heard of. And that one foreign film that you love that 7 other people have seen.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pffrbt

@firefox59 said:

@Pffrbt said:

@nicecall said:

You're so cool and hip. Please tell us about all the bands you listen to that no one has ever heard of. And that one foreign film that you love that 7 other people have seen.

Why.