What games surpassed all the hype you had for them?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

For me:

• Batman: Arkaham Asylum
  • Uncharted 2: Among Theives
  • The Last of Us
  • The Witcher III: The Hunt
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Lord of the Ring: Shadow of Mordor

What are the games that surpassed all the hype you had for said game(s)?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

The Last of Us

Uncharted trilogy

Red Dead Redemption

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Bloodborne/Dark Souls

BioShock Infinite

Spec Ops: The Line

Mass Effect trilogy

Grand Theft Auto V

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#3 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

GTA V, Fallout New Vegas

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I was super excited for it after loving the second game, and oh boy did it not disappoint. Became my favorite game of all time. Splatoon totally went beyond how great I thought it was going to be.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

SMB 3

Starfox

Golden Eye on N64

Painkiller

Skyrim

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Some games surpassed the hype for me were:

• Skyrim
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • The Witcher 3
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  • Halo 4
  • Bayonetta 1 and 2
  • Grand Theft Auto 5
  • Gears of War 1, 2, and 3
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Fallout 3 and New Vegas
tatman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tatman87
Member since 2015 • 227 Posts

My top 10 in particular order...

1. Grand Theft Auto 3
  2. Hitman Blood Money
  3. Resident Evil Code Veronica
  4. Silent Hill 2
  5. Portal 2
  6. Dead Space
  7. Resident Evil 2
  8. Metal Gear Solid 3
  9. TES Oblivion
  10. Metal Gear Solid 4
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Witcher 3, I was expecting a good RPG, but I thought it would have major flaws with its combat and story like the TW2.

Not the case at all, It ended up being one of my favorite games of the decade.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

There are heaps... but the one that came to mind first was Mass Effect 3. I was very hyped for this, but it totally lived up to my expectations.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gwynnblade
Member since 2015 • 931 Posts

The Witcher 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

No real order;

-Bayonetta 1-2 knew they looked good and got a Wii U with them, now my favorite hack and slash games around

-Bravely Default - I was so excited for a old school JRPG and this for not disappoint, ignoring that one awful section towards the end

-Demons Souls - went into it a little unsure shortly after it came out, I was very fond of it by the end though, my favorite Souls game

-Hatsune Miku PD f2nd - didn't expect a ton of improvement over the first game but it was a lot more then expected, game feels much smother

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

For Uncharted 2. The day after I bought it, I literally threw it in a corner and didn't revisit it for like a month. God after finally playing that game for the first time, my 15 year old mind was blown out of capacity! Uncharted 3..not so much

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

@jasonredemption said:
Loading Video...

For me:

• Batman: Arkaham Asylum
  • Uncharted 2: Among Theives
  • The Last of Us
  • The Witcher III: The Hunt
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Lord of the Ring: Shadow of Mordor

What are the games that surpassed all the hype you had for said game(s)?

Except shadow of modor everything from your list.

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#14 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

I almost forgot... Red Dead Redemption!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Arkham Asylum and City for sure.

Witcher 3 is keeping me as happy as I thought it could even 40 hours in.

The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls were two games I was really looking forward to, but between them TLoU was almost an afterthough as I was really looking forward to the latest Quantic Dream game. In the end, Beyond was just OK but TLoU was one of the most amazing games of any generation.

Silent Hill 2 is still the best of a very beloved series.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories was far better than I thought it would be.

And MGS4 was just phenominal, both technically and from it's sprawlingly epic experience.

-Byshop

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Dark Souls 2 on PC

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gwynnblade

@alim298 said:

Dark Souls 2 on PC

The port was still crap. Though, better than the original. Nonetheless, when I compare Dark Souls 2 to Dark Souls, it doesn't feel as 'colossal' as the first one but it does have that 'familiarity' that makes you feel like 'yes, this is my game' no matter how intimidating it might be. Might have something to do with aesthetics of the two games but really, Dark Souls 2 feel more disjointed.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts
@gwynnblade said:

The port was still crap. Though, better than the original. Nonetheless, when I compare Dark Souls 2 to Dark Souls, it doesn't feel as 'colossal' as the first one but it does have that 'familiarity' that makes you feel like 'yes, this is my game' no matter how intimidating it might be. Might have something to do with aesthetics of the two games but really, Dark Souls 2 feel more disjointed.

Dark Souls 1 was the absolute worst port I'd ever seen only seconded by Prototype 2. I had like 16 fps in blighttown which made the game unbearable. The combat in Dark Souls 1 also didn't feel right. It was so... Playstation 1-style. It was rough.

Dark Souls 2 imho surpassed the first one in nearly every way. The combat was more fluid. Dual wielding was the absolute best part of the combat and I used that new mechanic to the fullest. Dark souls 1 was a nightmare for the dexterity-based classes whereas Dark Souls 2 was a dream come true. Dark Souls 2 had shortcuts but still you could fast-travel between different parts of the world which saved me a lot of time. The mobs only would re-spawn for like 15 times and not forever which made the game less tedious as you were granted the freedom to explore rather than to face the same enemy for the 100th time.

Dark Souls 2 also had better and less ambiguous characters and story. The story and the characters in Dark Souls 2 actually made sense and when you put the pieces together, there's actually a story without any holes in it whereas Dark Souls 1 had an ambiguous story that was ambiguous not for the sake of mystery rather because some characters were simply not developed enough and were only there to provide aid to the player or conclude the story in some way.

The environments in Dark Souls 1 were too dark and disturbing. To the point that sometimes it didn’t make any sense whereas Dark Souls 2 had a rural landscape and its different parts made a lot of sense except for black gulch which seemed unnecessary.

Also Dark Souls 1 was simply about fighting monsters. Dark Souls 2 had you actually fight a lot of human-like creatures and sorcerers which made the challenge seem fair.

Overall I think that things in Dark Souls 2 seemed more collaborated. The combat, the environments, the story, the art etc. everything felt like it belongs to the same place whereas Dark Souls 1 changed its themes and feel many times throughout the game.

Gwynnblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gwynnblade

@alim298 said:
@gwynnblade said:

Dark Souls 1 was the absolute worst port I'd ever seen only seconded by Prototype 2. I had like 16 fps in blighttown which made the game unbearable. The combat in Dark Souls 1 also didn't feel right. It was so... Playstation 1-style. It was rough.

Dark Souls 2 imho surpassed the first one in nearly every way. The combat was more fluid. Dual wielding was the absolute best part of the combat and I used that new mechanic to the fullest. Dark souls 1 was a nightmare for the dexterity-based classes whereas Dark Souls 2 was a dream come true. Dark Souls 2 had shortcuts but still you could fast-travel between different parts of the world which saved me a lot of time. The mobs only would re-spawn for like 15 times and not forever which made the game less tedious as you were granted the freedom to explore rather than to face the same enemy for the 100th time.

Dark Souls 2 also had better and less ambiguous characters and story. The story and the characters in Dark Souls 2 actually made sense and when you put the pieces together, there's actually a story without any holes in it whereas Dark Souls 1 had an ambiguous story that was ambiguous not for the sake of mystery rather because some characters were simply not developed enough and were only there to provide aid to the player or conclude the story in some way.

The environments in Dark Souls 1 were too dark and disturbing. To the point that sometimes it didn’t make any sense whereas Dark Souls 2 had a rural landscape and its different parts made a lot of sense except for black gulch which seemed unnecessary.

Also Dark Souls 1 was simply about fighting monsters. Dark Souls 2 had you actually fight a lot of human-like creatures and sorcerers which made the challenge seem fair.

Overall I think that things in Dark Souls 2 seemed more collaborated. The combat, the environments, the story, the art etc. everything felt like it belongs to the same place whereas Dark Souls 1 changed its themes and feel many times throughout the game.

Haven't been able to finish Dark Souls due to the crap port, so can't comment on the story and characters. But one thing is for sure, I love this type of story-telling. It lets you familiarize yourself with the world in such a way you feel like its your own.

I'm more of a hack n slash guy so even in Dark Souls 2, I found the dual-wielding to be pretty lackluster. Up to level 50, I was a dual-wielder and from then on, I just used the greatsword or the twinblades. I think Souls game really do need the agility in combat as in Bloodborne.

Got to agree with you on the 'respawning' thing.

As for environments, I would like to differ. In Dark Souls 2, it wasn't just the Black Gulch that felt out of place and not-so-exquisite place of exploration, almost every third location in Dark Souls 2 felt uninspired. Dragon's Aerie, Majula, Aldia's Keep and a few others were the only locations that left a deep impression on me. But in Dark Souls, almost every location was worth exploring and a visual treat. The varied landscape was another thing that made Dark Souls feel more like Dark Souls. The bosses in Dark Souls were downright glorious. No boss fight in Dark Souls 2 come close to Artorias The Abysswalker's boss fight. The "Royal Rat Authority'' boss in DS2 was a copy-paste of Sif boss fight. There was little variation in bosses of Dark Souls 2. There wasn't much spectacle. When I walked into the huge chamber of "The Guardian Dragon", I expected a challenging and a spectacular fight but instead, I figured out his move in just one attempt and killed him in another. The "Ancient Dragon" was the only exception. Damn, that guy was a thick-skinned bastard.

All in all, in terms of aesthetics, Dark Souls take the upper hand. But Dark Souls 2 is the superior ''game''.

Another thing that's particularly noticeable in Souls series is the lack of variety in combat. Each weapon has almost the same combos and there's very little incentive in not choosing one favorite weapon and sticking with it. I played 25 hours of Dark Souls 2 for the combat, the rest of the 50 hours were only because of the story. The combat gets boring, repetitive and at times a 'chore'. Even if they have to reduce the number of weapons in the game for including different combos for different weapons - so be it. I'd take quality over quantity any day. For now, I only wish for ''Dark Souls + Bloodborne = Dark Souls 3", which seems pretty plausible and possible at this point.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts

Probably COD: Modern Warfare, absolutely blew me away my first playthrough. "Sigh" anybody when Call of Duty used to be good?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

FF7. my cousin was showing me parts of it when i was at his house so i only got bits of the story. but i was amazed at the game. eventually i got my own PS1 and a copy of the game. mind blown. the game was even better than i thought it was going to be.

the witcher 1 and 3 (not 2. 2 is a great game but i was very hyped and it didnt exceed the hype.). i was following witcher 1 for years and when it released i was initially dissapointed. the english was poor which made the story hard to follow, it was a bit bug ridden and some things just didnt really work. but i could see a great game in there. thankfully CDPR fixed it up what good and the whole game exceeded my expectations. the unclear decisions, the setting and world, i even liked the combat system. brilliant game. witcher 3....nuff said. yeah yeah "teh downgrade"....irrelevant in the end. the game is an absolute stunner. i didnt think they could deliver great secondary and primary quests...it was going to be one or the other. lo and behold they have delivered on both counts.

metroid prime. admittedly i wasnt hugely hyped for it (whats a metroid? this dude has a very feminine figure...odd art style but OK :P) but i kept hearing it was a modern classic. i saw it for 20 quid on a shelf once and decided to take a punt. in my top 5 list of best game of all time. 20 quid well spent.

same for deus ex too. i played the demo...wasnt thrilled. but all the reviewers kept saying its a contender for game of all time....and it did come in a shiny box so i was still somewhat hyped. reviewers were right. best game of all time.

another very pleasent surprise was arkham asylum. again the demo nearly killed it for me (devs...mind your demos!). but people kept saying its a brilliant game and i saw it in a steam sale so took a punt at that too. rocksteady absolutely nailed it. make a great game first...then make it a great batman game.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Gta st andreas.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

No game has ever been able to surpass my own hype, which is why i learned never to expect too much of games and just let them surprise me.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Dying Light

Tomb Raider DE

Metro Games

Wolfenstein TNO

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#25 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@jasonredemption: Battlefront 3 kinda did that for me this year

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

San Andreas, Fallout 3, Metal Gear Solid 3

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

Well when I think hype, it had to have exceedingly high expectations world-wide to begin with, so even though I love many games. Not many can be said to be among the most advertised of games globally. So based on that, most of these games I've barely played or have just heared they've smashed expectations-

From the past gen and this-

• Bayonetta 2 (played and own)
  • The Witcher 3 WH (haven't played)
  • Gears of War 2 (played)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (haven't played)
  • Uncharted 2 AT (played)
  • Assassins Creed 2 (played)
  • Metal Gear Solid IV (played and own)
  • CoD4 Modern Warfare (briefly played)
  • Team Fortress 2 (briefly played)
  • World of Warcraft (haven't played)
  • Bloodborne (played and own)
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1,2 (played)
  • Red Dead Redemption (haven't played)
  • The Elder Scrolls Skyrim (played)
  • The Last of Us (played and own)
  • Mario Kart 8 (haven't played)
  • Forza 360/X1 series (briefly played)
  • Vanilla Street Fighter IV (played)
  • Halo 3 (briefly played)
dragonboygt204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 dragonboygt204
Member since 2010 • 40 Posts

Uncharted 2, definitely.

The first Uncharted was fun, but I didn't expect 2 to be a much more fleshed out and improved game!

Thankfully 3 met my expectations and was great too, but 2 is my favourite.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

I loved batman arkham asylum, uncharted 2, bayonetta and of course Vanquish..

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

none

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

@alim298: Dark souls doesn't belong on pc anyway.

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

Persona 4, Bloodborne & Ace Attorney 3.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#33 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Shadow of Mordor

Arkham Knight

Outlast

The Evil Within

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

World of Warcraft. I started playing in 2007, long after the hype was around and still building. I never expected to spend the next 5 years playing it and almost nothing else. It changed my tastes in gaming. It's by far the most fun game I've ever played by a landslide. Sadly, all good things must come to an end and I just got tired of it. I've never played another game even 1% as much as that one though.

I personally never got the hype around Red Dead Redemption, I just don't get any praise for that game. I found it horribly tedious and really clunky. It has some of the worst controls I've ever seen in a AAA game and the story was such a laughable and forgettable set of cliches. What was so great about it? I can't think of anything. Atmosphere is hampered by poor performance. The combat is a joke. The side activities re-defined boring. It was a large and empty open world populated with nearly nothing. About halfway through the game I just gave up on trying to find any joy there and then blazed through the rest of the game. I don't remember much about the second half because I was completely tuned out of the game by then, just going through the motions and praying for it to end.

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#36  Edited By Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

I might not have been hyped for all of these, but I consider them to be good surprises and some way better than I expected.

• Shadow of Mordor
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Assassin's Creed 2
  • The Witcher 3 (Wasn't Even thinking of picking this up, so glad I did)
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • DmC Devil May Cry
  • Outlast
  • Bayonetta
  • Fallout 3
  • Tomb Raider (reboot)
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Red Faction Guerilla
  • Borderlands 2
  • Halo Wars
  • Rage
  • Far Cry 3
  • Saints Row The Third

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#37  Edited By Running-Target
Member since 2014 • 413 Posts

The Witcher 2/3, Half Life 2, Assassin's Creed 1/2, Arkham Asylum, Max Payne 2.....

Bravo632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bravo632
Member since 2015 • 207 Posts

The only games I could think of now:

• Metal Gear Solid 1
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • StarCraft II

The plot just kept me going & did not disappoint.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

DmC, everyone kept saying how terible it was, but I thought it was a blast.

dark_rising76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dark_rising76
Member since 2010 • 1300 Posts

Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Borderlands 2, GTA V

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@dragonboygt204 said:

Uncharted 2, definitely.

The first Uncharted was fun, but I didn't expect 2 to be a much more fleshed out and improved game!

Thankfully 3 met my expectations and was great too, but 2 is my favourite.

Agreed. UC2 is definitely my fav.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42  Edited By phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

assassin's creed 2 and 4, metal gear solid 4, uncharted 1 and 2, batman arkham asylum, vanquish, witcher 3 and the last of us.

HELLASISGREECE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HELLASISGREECE
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

Final Fantasy VII

Demon's Souls

Super Mario 64

Wipeout 2097

Resident Evil (1996)

Twisted Metal 2

Driveclub

Super Mario World

Quake III: Arena

Portal

Tomb Raider (2013)

Assasin's Creed 2

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Fallout 3

Mass Effect 2

GTA V (single player)

Forza 2

Fight Night 4

Tekken 3

MGS 3 and 4 (def not 5)

Red Dead Redemption

Max Payne 2

Smackdown Here Comes The Pain

Mario Galaxy

Halo 2

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1853 Posts

Witcher 3

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#47  Edited By leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

factorio

kerbal space program

gang beasts

overcooked

overwatch

portal 2

battlefield bad company 1

Swordable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48  Edited By Swordable
Member since 2015 • 14 Posts

GTA V - It's just a great game

The Witcher 3 - One of the few RPG games I've finished

Shadow of Mordor - I was looking forward to this game mainly due to Assassin's Creed being one of my favourite series, turns out it was better than AC in a lot of aspects

Dragon's Dogma - Probably the best RPG I've played

Overwatch - It's fun and doesn't get repetitive

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#49 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Halflife.

sukraj