What games are as fantastic as Ori and the Blind Forest?

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Hello fellow GS's. I recently finished Ori and the Blind Forest and it caused me to completely fall in love with Metroidvania's all over again. I have been breaking my back to find something that is similiar to Ori(art/story/gameplay) and I'm having a difficult time. Guacamelee looks promising, but the art isn't tickling my fancy. So, any suggestions?

Alex839

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2 Alex839
Member since 2015 • 151 Posts

You`ve probably heard, or even played Shadow Complex, if not, don`t hesitate do buy it. I haven`t played many of these Metroidvania games but Shadow Complex is one of the finest examples of that genre. Although it doesn`t fall in category of art style as you`d probably like.

I love these type of games, shame they`re so damn rare. But i kinda get it, it takes some serious skill for a bunch of people to make these kind of games, that`s why we have so many linear military shooters = so much easier to make.

DrFlyntCoal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 DrFlyntCoal
Member since 2015 • 496 Posts

I haven't played Ori but Guacamelee is a fantastic metroidvania. Give it a try at least.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Congrats for finishing that game. In my case, I have give up at mid game I think.

I know no other games similar to this but in term of quality and also a modern platformer, there is Flashback from Ubisoft. Also the new trine is nice platformer.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

Outland may be to your liking. Or shantae and the pirate curse. Neither look glorious as ori, but both are good metroidvania games.

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

Axiom Verge, a fantastic Metroid-style game that's even more impressive when you realize it's all done by one guy.

Valdis Story

Dust: An Elysian Tail, which to your luck is 80% off on Steam right now.

Cave Story. Which is another game made by just one man, but then also updated/remastered by a team. Then let's not forget Ubisoft's Child of Light which is half metroidvania, half RPG.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Guacamelee and Strider are both fantastic. Guacamelee is just the best though. Great jumping puzzles and awesome combat system. Strider is easier but will make you feel like a super awesome ninja :). Both controls perfectly imo.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

The Swapper

John_of_Rivia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 John_of_Rivia
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

Try Child of Light by ubisoft

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

The most recommend Metroidvanias have already been stated so. .

Some sprite based beautys however include. Braid, Dragons Crown, Muramasa, and the two Monkey Islands that got the Special edition treatment.

Lozozozozoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 Lozozozozoz
Member since 2014 • 85 Posts

I was going to say axiom verge before I realised someone already said it........

Axiom Verge

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I just tried The Swapper for 30 minutes and this is better than Ori. Not the same weird theme but, better.

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#13  Edited By Running-Target
Member since 2014 • 413 Posts

Trine 2.

Loading Video...

Rayman Legends.

Loading Video...

Valiant Hearts The Great War.

Loading Video...

Journey.

Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Have you actually played Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night? Most of the one's I was going to recommend have been mentioned, but a lot of people who have played Metroivania/Castleroid games haven't played some of the best the genre has to offer.

If you can, get the PS version of SOTN if you haven't played it. All the remake/re-release versions aren't as good as the original. But if you can't, then the PSP and XBLA versions are both the better of the remake/re-releases.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 intotheminx

@elheber: I grabbed Dust this morning and played it for a couple of hours and it's fantastic. I'm not huge on the whole animorphic? aspect, but the game play is great.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 intotheminx

@foxhound_fox said:

Have you actually played Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night? Most of the one's I was going to recommend have been mentioned, but a lot of people who have played Metroivania/Castleroid games haven't played some of the best the genre has to offer.

If you can, get the PS version of SOTN if you haven't played it. All the remake/re-release versions aren't as good as the original. But if you can't, then the PSP and XBLA versions are both the better of the remake/re-releases.

I have, but I was a young lad. I'm 90% sure I never finished SOTN because I was too young. Maybe I should revisit it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@intotheminx said:
@foxhound_fox said:

I have, but I was a young lad. I'm 90% sure I never finished SOTN because I was too young. Maybe I should revisit it.

You should revisit both, before any of the other suggestions. If you like Metrovania/Castleroid style games, then these are must-plays. And if you enjoy these, then Metroid: Zero Mission and Castlevania: Aria/Dawn of Sorrow should be next on the list.

I'm a MASSIVE Metroid and Castlevania fan, and the first two games (SM and SOTN) are the pinnacle of the MV/CR genre. By far.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#18  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

There arent many that can match up to Ori & the Blind Forest, other than maybe pseudo-vanias that use cognitive puzzle mechanics as a means for progression (Swapper, FEZ, Antichamber - all of which are excellent); I even think Ori is as good as Super Metroid and definitely better than SOTN. But I do reccommend Guacamelee. It's not as strong of a platformer since the game can feel very binary with its movement and its visually/thematically jarring compared to how stellar Ori is, but the combat is sooo worth it.

If you liked the Platforming in Ori, give the Rayman games a go. They're not metroidvanias, but alot of its fundemental platforming generally feels the same.

Other than that, there are good suggestions listed here. May want to add Alien: Infestation. I havent played it, but I've heard good things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

For graphics like that Muramasa and Dragons Crown are both great, gameplay wise I've seen good things about Axiom Verge for a metroidvania, have yet to play it myself sadly