What Game Series Has The Most Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I was just thinking about this. Which one do you think it is? There has been a lot of game series that have an incredible number of entries in them including: Street Fighter, Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, and others.

#2 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

Probably EA's NHL series, possibly Mario.

#3 Posted by Stinger78 (5830 posts) -
With all the different spin-offs it seems there are more than 50 different Mega Man games out there on various platforms, not including Powered-Up on PSP or the 2 arcade fighting games (Power Battles). 2nd in line may be Mario followed by Castlevania.
#4 Posted by whisperingmute (1116 posts) -

I'll have to second Mega-Man as well: there's the original 8, then there's 8 titles in the x-series, 4 in the zero series, 2 in the ZX series, 12 in the battle network series, 7 in the starforce series, 2 in the xtreme series, 4 for the original gameboy, then theres all the offbeat mega man games such as soccer. Then there's the remakes of Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X.

And you thought Final Fantasy would never end? :P

#5 Posted by ultramega9 (178 posts) -

Tetris.

#6 Posted by DevilBorg (810 posts) -
Mario. Aside from his main games, he has thousands of various spin-offs with their own series and spin-offs. Not to mention the obscure games he has, or even the failed ones (like Hotel Mario).
#7 Posted by hydralisk86 (8642 posts) -

I'll have to second Mega-Man as well: there's the original 8, then there's 8 titles in the x-series, 4 in the zero series, 2 in the ZX series, 12 in the battle network series, 7 in the starforce series, 2 in the xtreme series, 4 for the original gameboy, then theres all the offbeat mega man games such as soccer. Then there's the remakes of Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X.

whisperingmute
Wow, that's a lot of games for one series :O
#8 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

whisperingmute

Don't forget Mega Man 9 & 10 for XBox Live Arcade.

#9 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

it seems like theres a million Final Fantasy games. Not one of them is really the FINAL fantasy, kinda annoying title if u ask me.

#10 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

it seems like theres a million Final Fantasy games. Not one of them is really the FINAL fantasy, kinda annoying title if u ask me.

Talldude80

The story I read about the title is that it was gonna be the company's final game. Apparantly at the time of making the original Final Fantasy, the company was bleeding money. So if if FF wasn't a big hit, they were done. Apparantly they didn't have much faith in the game saving, considering the name. Lucky for them, they were wrong.

#11 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8210 posts) -
I think Mario and Mega Man are the biggest contenders each being in several series and tons of spin offs.
#12 Posted by yokofox33 (30493 posts) -

I'd have to say megaman, but I don't really know.

#13 Posted by ModeDude (1135 posts) -
Those "simulator" games :P You know, silly things like Truck Simulator or Bus Simulator or whatever.
#14 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

[QUOTE="whisperingmute"]

Emerald_Warrior

Don't forget Mega Man 9 & 10 for XBox Live Arcade.

not sure if I'm overlapping here, as I'm not certain about all the different Mega Man series...

but there was also Mega Man Command Mission RPG, and the two 3D legends titles on PSone

#15 Posted by chocolate1325 (32652 posts) -

Mario including spin offs and sports games.

#16 Posted by mariokart64fan (19805 posts) -

mario of course , all ports spinoffs original 2d 3d party kart sports etc , mario has the most but it has that right because mario has been running since the arcades ,

but quick games that come every year would probably top this in twenty years , if cod keeps coming out like madden of course it would not get that far , further more mario has more good games then he has bad ones ,thats alot said compared to sonic etc whos had plenty of bad entries

and one series that just wont stop is madden , that is 20 plus yrs old , over 20 games from 92-2011 thats not inlcuding xbla release or 3ds release

#17 Posted by bigM10231 (11240 posts) -

mario consists of 220+ games spinoffs and all, 9 in the main series

#18 Posted by NiKva (8180 posts) -

I'd say that Final Fantasy has the most games. Main series, spin-offs, tactics, dissidia, and remakes, I think it would have the most games :D

#19 Posted by AmericanMuffin (51 posts) -
Mario, including spin-offs, all that stuff, there were ALOT of failed ones.
#20 Posted by godzillavskong (7900 posts) -

Madden? I think Madden or possibly the Street Fighter series.

#21 Posted by Heirren (19407 posts) -

Tetris, aka the prequel to Modern Warfare.

#22 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
Mario without a doubt. I counted the Wikipedia listing for all of the Mario games and I think it ended up being some where around 230+.
#23 Posted by animalmother013 (80 posts) -

Wow Im surprised no ones mentioned the starwars series yet they got quite alot.

#24 Posted by tab134 (346 posts) -

the ultima series deserves a nod.oh yeah and final fantasy.

#25 Posted by Pegalamp (600 posts) -
Mario without a doubt. I counted the Wikipedia listing for all of the Mario games and I think it ended up being some where around 230+.AcidSoldner
That's nice, but then count all the teris games. Every official one.
#26 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Mario without a doubt. I counted the Wikipedia listing for all of the Mario games and I think it ended up being some where around 230+.Pegalamp
That's nice, but then count all the teris games. Every official one.

I did, there are 46 Tetris games in total. :P
#27 Posted by Seiki_sands (1737 posts) -

I think Sonic may have the most main series titles, depending on whether you consider many of the handheld games as separate games, which they truly are in spite of their name (Sonic 2 8-Bit vs. Sonic 2 16-Bit). Wikipedia lists 30 main titles, as opposed to 26 for Madden, which is the next closest I've found.

As for series with spin-offs its usually hard to make heads or tails of the bigger series. Does Kid Dracula count as a Castlevania title? Do the Kingdom Hearts games count as Final Fantasy titles?

Final Fantasy, for instance, may have up to 65 games with spin-offs; not including re-makes and comilations, which are extensive for that series.

Final Fantasy main series: 14
Final Fantasy Direct Sequels: 3 (X-2, XIII-2, IV: The After Years)
Final Fantasy Chocobo Spin-Offs (Including racing & RPGs, among others): 13
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy VII: Before Crisis
Final Fantasy VII: Snowboarding
Final Fantasy: Unlimited With U
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Vs XIII
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light
Final Fantasy Type-0
Final Fantasy Dissidia games: 2
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games: 6
Final Fantasy Tactics Games: 3
Crystal Defenders Spin-Off: 3
Kingdom Hearts Games with FF Characters: 7
Number of SaGa games marketed as Final Fantasy games in the west: 3 (Final Fantasy Legend 1-3)(There are 6 Other games in the SaGa series)
Number of Mana games marketed as Final Fantasy: 1 (Final Fantasy Adventure)(There are 8 other games in the Mana series)

Mega Manhas over 50 games in its meta-verse, theMegami Tensei has a little over 40, the Tales series has around 30 and Castlevania is in the mid-30s.

In terms of appearances as a character Mario almost certainly does have the most, but if you look at that list of 200+ on Wikipedia there are many that are no more than minor cameos like appearing on the borders of tracks in Stunt Race FX, or being the referee in Punch-Out!, which I would certainly not count as "Mario" games. Although even discounting those he still probably has the most major appearances as well, followed by Sonic with 60+ major appearances.

#28 Posted by KilleRotom (25 posts) -
Mario
#29 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I don't think those Mario numbers count here. It's not really fair to call a game like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out a Mario game just because he's the referee. That's more like a guest-appearance.

#30 Posted by ali_java (25 posts) -
Fairly positive Final Fantasy is near the top, if not the leader. Though, with some early titles, you have to remember that they were actually part of the "Mana" series...but I think that only counts for three or four titles max. Mega Man has a ton, and Castlevania is not too far behind...gotta wonder which one you could consider as having the most "quality" games. My opinion...Final Fantasy, though perhaps I'm a bit biased, being a huge RPG fan...which, arguably, is the trait that keeps the Castlevania series as good as it is today. Just stirring the pot!
#31 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

I don't think those Mario numbers count here. It's not really fair to call a game like Mike Tyson's Punch-Out a Mario game just because he's the referee. That's more like a guest-appearance.

Emerald_Warrior
I agree that the number I posted may be a bit inflated due to guest-appearances but I bet you Mario would still come out on top with all of those cut out.
#32 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

AcidSoldner

I agree that the number I posted may be a bit inflated due to guest-appearances but I bet you Mario would still come out on top with all of those cut out.

Here's what I'd consider "Mario" games:

1. Donkey Kong
  2. Mario Bros.
  3. Super Mario Bros.
  4. Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels
  5. Super Mario Bros. 2 (U.S.)
  6. Super Mario Bros. 3
  7. Super Mario World
  8. Super Mario 64
  9. Super Mario Sunshine
  10. Super Mario Galaxy
  11. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  12. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  13. Super Mario Land
  14. Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coincs
  15. New Super Mario Bros.
  16. Super Mario RPG
  17. Paper Mario
  18. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  19. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  20. Super Mario Kart
  21. Mario Kart 64
  22. Mario Kart: Double Dash
  23. Mario Kart Wii
  24. Mario Kart DS
  25. Mario Party
  26. Mario Party 2
  27. Mario Party 3
  28. Mario Party 4
  29. Mario Party 5
  30. Mario Party 6
  31. Mario Party 7
  32. Mario Party 8
  33. Mario Party 9
  34. Donkey Kong vs. Mario
  35. Donkey Kong vs. Mario 2
  36. Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games
  37. Mario's Time Machine
  38. Mario Clash
  39. Mario Golf
  40. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
  41. Mario Tennis
  42. Mario Power Tennis
  43. Mario's Cement Factory
  44. Hotel Mario

That is still pretty impressive. Did I miss any?

#33 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
Well, I recounted the Mario games, discounting guest appearances and the like, and it came out to be about 126.
#34 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Well, I recounted the Mario games, discounting guest appearances and the like, and it came out to be about 126.AcidSoldner

Does that include re-releases of the same games? Personally, I wouldn't consider Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES and Super Mario Bros. 3 on GBA as 2 separate games. In my mind the GBA version would be like a reprint of an old comic.

#35 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Well, I recounted the Mario games, discounting guest appearances and the like, and it came out to be about 126.Emerald_Warrior

Does that include re-releases of the same games? Personally, I wouldn't consider Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES and Super Mario Bros. 3 on GBA as 2 separate games. In my mind the GBA version would be like a reprint of an old comic.

No, didn't count any re-releases or ports. Although, I may have counted Super Mario 64 DS now that I think about it :P
#36 Posted by spawnassasin (18699 posts) -

im going to go with mega man

#37 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8210 posts) -
Did I miss any?Emerald_Warrior
Yep, just from a quick glance you missed Super Paper Mario and the other two Mario & Luigi games. Also there are quite a few Mario sports games you missed, I don't all the titles but I don't see the soccer, baseball, or the recent sports mix one. oh, and Yoshi's Island is also missing, I think Mario has enough of a presence in it for it to count.
#38 Posted by foodonfloor (25 posts) -
Final Fantasy, its that simple.
#39 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Final Fantasy, its that simple.foodonfloor

Did you see some of the lists on this thread before you posted? Final Fantasy is no longer even in the runnings. Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man all have Final Fantasy beat by a mile.

#40 Posted by xXTalismanXx (916 posts) -

EA sports games, Mario, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty(sadly), Zelda, Sonic the Hedgehog.