What game/s do you consider to be unique??

• 85 results
#1 Posted by Ariabed (1099 posts) -

I'm thinking that it's getting harder for game devs to come up with fresh ideas for gameplay, and story in games, and a lot of games feel similar to other games in its genre.

So what games do you think have managed to come up with something unique?

I'm gonna start the ball rolling with Farcry3's gameplay, I think it's gameplay is fairly unique for an FPS, of course it's just a open world FPS at heart but it's the takedowns that give it the edge which look cool, and you feel like a real badass when doing them. Also the amount of wildlife in this game is great. The feeling of genuine fear you get when you're scoping out a enemy outpost, and you hear a tiger or bear near by, it just adds to the immersion of the game.

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (28708 posts) -

Antichamber

#3 Edited by Mesomorphin (741 posts) -

Portal was pretty unique up until a bunch of indie devs started also using the whole first person puzzle mechanic! still a great game though

However a game I consider to be VERY unique definitely has to go to the masterpiece that is Catherine! there are no other games out there that are quite like it, its amazing!

I guess you could also call dark souls/halo unique, even though that they're part of a genre of games, they definitely solo themselves out from the common market of cliches, and play in an entirely new ball game, which is bad ass!

#4 Edited by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

NiGHTS into Dreams.

@ariabed said:
I'm gonna start the ball rolling with Farcry3's gameplay, I think it's gameplay is fairly unique for an FPS, of course it's just a open world FPS at heart but it's the takedowns that give it the edge which look cool, and you feel like a real badass when doing them. Also the amount of wildlife in this game is great. The feeling of genuine fear you get when you're scoping out a enemy outpost, and you hear a tiger or bear near by, it just adds to the immersion of the game.

I disagree with all of this. Far Cry 3 is really boring and average.

#5 Posted by Mesomorphin (741 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

NiGHTS into Dreams.

@ariabed said:

I disagree with all of this. Far Cry 3 is really boring and average.

"Far Cry 3 is really boring and average." wow.......I'am stunned. I mean....what the fucking FUCK! Everyone to their own I guuuueeeessssss.

#6 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

"Far Cry 3 is really boring and average." wow.......I'am stunned. I mean....what the fucking FUCK! Everyone to their own I guuuueeeessssss.

I played the game for about 14 hours. It was totally mindless and did nothing noteworthy or interesting.

#7 Edited by mastermetal777 (558 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus. I can't think of any other game that did boss fights on such a large scale, both in terms of challenge and their ties to the games themes and narrative. And the fact that the game consists only of boss fights is another plus.

I also rarely see an FPS that goes the route that Metroid Prime did, meaning choosing exploration and puzzle-platforming over action.

#8 Posted by Ariabed (1099 posts) -

@Pffrbt: I must admit after playing farcry2, I found farcry3 not all that different and I also found it quite boring, once I unlocked a few takedowns that's when the game became more enjoyable.

Also I said that the takedown aspect to the gameplay was unique wether you enjoyed it or not is irrelevant.

#9 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

@ariabed said:
Also I said that the takedown aspect to the gameplay was unique wether you enjoyed it or not is irrelevant.

Takedowns had been in games for years prior to Far Cry 3.

#10 Edited by Ariabed (1099 posts) -

@Pffrbt: name a FPS game where you can do the takedowns you can do in farcry3?

#11 Edited by Renegade_Fury (16952 posts) -

I can't really think of anything from gen 7 or 8, but older games, sure, I got examples of those.

NiGHTS into Dreams - No game is like it. The gameplay and level design have so much depth, and that, combined with an amazing soundtrack, creates a very unique experience. NiGHTS is artsy fartsy done right, because even though it invokes emotion, the gameplay still takes center stage, and it's very challenging, as getting all A-ranks definitely takes some practice. I'd recommend watching Mark's review from Classic Game Room if you want more details, because it's hard for me to do this game justice. I love his review, because even though he admits that NiGHTS isn't for him, he gets why it's so good, and still praises it greatly.

One thing he doesn't mention though, is that there's an HD version available for the PC/360/PS3, so you don't need a Saturn to play it.

Panzer Dragoon Saga - I usually don't like rpgs, because they take forever, as well as make you go through so many hoops and hurdles just to do the simplest things. Panzer Dragoon Saga does away with all the fat and filler, as it takes arcade game philosophy and applies it to this genre. The gameplay is fast and fun, and it allows you to switch dragon type mid battle, and there's no down time, because grinding isn't required. Another unique thing is that you are in the air almost at all times, and only have to spend very minimal time on the ground unless you need to buy items. The story also isn't about your typical teenagers trying to save the world, but instead, it's about revenge, and by the end, you really aren't sure if the main guy you were going after was even that bad. Speaking of the end, it's also extremely unique, because it breaks the fourth wall, and I've never seen one setup and done quite like this one was. This guy has a pretty good review on Saga if you want to see it in action.

#12 Edited by amalager (87 posts) -

Tecmo's Deception. I play as a villain laying traps around the castle and killing trespassers by doing trap kill combos!

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (6895 posts) -

@ariabed said:

@Pffrbt: name a FPS game where you can do the takedowns you can do in farcry3?

Dues Ex.

#14 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16411 posts) -

Knights in the Nightmare. I have yet to see another game that is RPG, Strategy, and Bullet Hell. With all the small but significant systems you need to take into account.

#15 Posted by locus-solus (477 posts) -

Antichamber

Shadow of the Colossus

great games and i would agree

i would like to add

• Catherine
  • Okami
#16 Posted by Mesomorphin (741 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@mesomorphin said:

I played the game for about 14 hours. It was totally mindless and did nothing noteworthy or interesting.

Well the graphics looked great, very colourful, open world, hunting, weapon crafting, interesting story with awesome antagonist...I really dont see how it wasnt "noteworthy or interesting"

#17 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

Well the graphics looked great, very colourful, open world, hunting, weapon crafting, interesting story with awesome antagonist...I really dont see how it wasnt "noteworthy or interesting"

The graphics were great (the water looks terrible though), but not particularly artistically interesting or appealing. An open world does nothing to make the gameplay more interesting or fun if there's nothing interesting or fun to do in it. Mostly all an open world does is give the player a mundane checklist of mindless tasks to go through, as well as make getting from mission to mission take forever. Hunting is dull and uninteresting. Last I checked you couldn't actually craft weapons, and the crafting that was there was just a matter of grinding supplies/missions till you can mash things together into something. The story isn't interesting at all and nearly all of the characters are so aggravatingly awful I couldn't tolerate any cutscenes involving them.

About the only thing noteworthy or interesting about Far Cry 3 is how unbearably awful and unlikable its characters are, and that's definitely not a positive.

#18 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

Vanquish. It's the only cover shooter on the market that emphasizes not using cover as much as possible while riding the knife edge of how much energy you can expend without leaving yourself vulnerable.

#19 Edited by Ariabed (1099 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: "Deus ex"

Yeah the takedowns in deus ex are cool indeed, not quite the same as the takedowns in farcry3 like the knife throw takedown, where you stab a guy through the chest then grab his knife and throw it into another guys head, that never gets old.

I'm sure there's no other FPS that has takedowns as cool as some of the takedowns in farcry3 maybe even no other game period.

#20 Posted by thehig1 (857 posts) -

@mastermetal777: dragons dogma boss fights are similar...although shadow came first so dogma just copied the mechanic, and not as well either.

I still like dragons dogma the boss fights are still pretty epic.

#21 Edited by MirkoS77 (6866 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@mesomorphin said:

The graphics were great (the water looks terrible though), but not particularly artistically interesting or appealing. An open world does nothing to make the gameplay more interesting or fun if there's nothing interesting or fun to do in it. Mostly all an open world does is give the player a mundane checklist of mindless tasks to go through, as well as make getting from mission to mission take forever. Hunting is dull and uninteresting. Last I checked you couldn't actually craft weapons, and the crafting that was there was just a matter of grinding supplies/missions till you can mash things together into something. The story isn't interesting at all and nearly all of the characters are so aggravatingly awful I couldn't tolerate any cutscenes involving them.

About the only thing noteworthy or interesting about Far Cry 3 is how unbearably awful and unlikable its characters are, and that's definitely not a positive.

Far Cry 3 did bring ecology into the picture and executed on it very well. It brought the world to life. Animals fought and killed each other entirely independent of the player and it was possible to cause interplay between them and the pirates to the player's advantage. I can't think of another FPS that's done this, but would appreciate hearing you name one if I'm mistaken. The only other game that really is similar in this respect is RDR, but that's 3rd person and not the same genre.

As for my choice of a unique game, Katamari Damacy. Developers must have been on drugs to make something like that.

#22 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

@MirkoS77: "Far Cry 3 did bring ecology into the picture and executed on it very well."
It's almost completely a non-factor in any actual gameplay.

"it was possible to cause interplay between them and the pirates to the player's advantage."
"Shoot the cage open in the pirate's base and the animal rampages around for a bit."
That's the entire extent of it.

"As for my choice of a unique game, Katamari Damacy. Developers must have been on drugs to make something like that."
Yes, having even a tiny bit of creativity, sense of fun, or whimsy must mean they were on drugs.

#23 Posted by MirkoS77 (6866 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@MirkoS77: "Far Cry 3 did bring ecology into the picture and executed on it very well."

"it was possible to cause interplay between them and the pirates to the player's advantage."

"Shoot the cage open in the pirate's base and the animal rampages around for a bit."

"I played the game for about 14 hours. It was totally mindless and did nothing noteworthy or interesting."

Regardless of what impact you found it had on gameplay, it's irrelevant. Unless you can name another FPS that did what I mentioned, your above statement holds no merit and is false. This topic's about unique elements in games. As best as I can recall, Farcry 3's ecological aspect made it such and nothing you've said disproves it (not that I'm against the possibility).

#24 Posted by mastermetal777 (558 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

Antichamber

@mastermetal777 said:

Shadow of the Colossus

great games and i would agree

i would like to add

• Catherine
  • Okami

I absolutely LOVE Okami, and will agree that there's no other game like it. Have yet to play Catherine, though I've seen pretty mixed responses to it. Some say it's great, other say its story is a little dumb. I might try it out one of these days.

#25 Edited by SovietsUnited (1777 posts) -

Most of the ones already mentioned, plus:

• Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Team Buddies
  • Proteus
  • Tomba
  • Oddworld Abe's Oddysee & Exodus
  • The Lost Vikings (if it wasn't for Trine)
  • BioForge (for the time)

@amalager

That game looks very fun!

#26 Posted by locus-solus (477 posts) -

I absolutely LOVE Okami, and will agree that there's no other game like it. Have yet to play Catherine, though I've seen pretty mixed responses to it. Some say it's great, other say its story is a little dumb. I might try it out one of these days.

if you like 3D Platformer give Catherine a try it's a little on the hard side, and yes it's story is wired!

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

Portal 2..... Literally nothing else comes close.....

As for unique in terms of story.... Who cares ! :p

#28 Edited by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

Antichamber

And portal and portal 2. Also swapper.

#29 Posted by mastermetal777 (558 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Portal 2 was little more than a retcon of the damn near perfect first game.

#30 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

@amalager said:

Tecmo's Deception. I play as a villain laying traps around the castle and killing trespassers by doing trap kill combos!

Which platform is this game on? This looks fun.

#31 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Hardly.... The Co-op campaign was a whole new animal..... :)

#32 Posted by Vatusus (4229 posts) -

Portal 2..... Literally nothing else comes close.....

hum... Portal 1 maybe?

OT: Shadow of the Colossus and ICO

#33 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

@Vatusus

Nope..... No co-op.

#34 Posted by mastermetal777 (558 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: I must insist that co-op doesn't make a game better. It might be fun playing with your friends, but the same can be said of watching bad movies.

#35 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8611 posts) -

@mastermetal777

True..... But that doesn't Apply to Portal 2 now does it ?

Anyway quality was never the point...... TC wanted Unique.... Co-op Puzzler is pretty Unique... :p

#36 Posted by dethtrain (384 posts) -

There was this weird puzzle game for the PS1 that was something like the game catherine called Intelligent Qube. I think most puzzle games would probably fall into the "Unique" category.

Echochrome, Patapon, Locoroco, Katamari games, One finger death punch, Marble Madness (at the time - smartphones with their digital sensors kinda brought a whole bunch of these marble games)

#37 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5481 posts) -

The Portal games for sure.

#38 Edited by illmatic87 (14973 posts) -

Antichamber

Came in here to say this.

There's really nothing like it.

#39 Posted by huerito323 (1371 posts) -

L.A Noire.

You get to solve crimes and interrogate people, it's awesome. Also, the facial animations are still the best in the business.

#40 Posted by alim298 (1022 posts) -

In terms of story Braid is quite unique. Story and gameplay blend together quite well. In fact every gameplay element is an allegory for the ongoing story.

Also Super brothers. I found it's minimalist environments very captivating. You would really feel immersed in the journey. Even it's combat is minimalist and puzzle-like.

Bastion has interactive real time isometric combat which is unique.

Burnout paradise has a good crash mechanism.

Arkham series has unique fist fights.

Hotline miami and it's unique top down gameplay which is a blend of stealth and run and gun.

Portal 2

Deus Ex HR It's a shooter with rpg elements AND story.

The Neverhood nothing like it.

#41 Posted by Ariabed (1099 posts) -

@alim298: "Deus Ex HR It's a shooter with rpg elements AND story"

There is another shooter like that, alpha protocol but that's a 3rd person shooter so I guess it still counts.

#42 Posted by Ariabed (1099 posts) -
#43 Posted by yokofox33 (28971 posts) -

I thought Valkyria Chronicles was unique. Took elements from different genres and blended them together to create a unique experience for me.

#44 Edited by harry_james_pot (10144 posts) -

Antichamber is one of a kind.

#45 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6596 posts) -

The Last Remnant

Valkyria Chronicles

Skyward Sword

Portal

#46 Posted by firefox59 (4319 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@Pffrbt said:

"I played the game for about 14 hours. It was totally mindless and did nothing noteworthy or interesting."

Regardless of what impact you found it had on gameplay, it's irrelevant. Unless you can name another FPS that did what I mentioned, your above statement holds no merit and is false. This topic's about unique elements in games. As best as I can recall, Farcry 3's ecological aspect made it such and nothing you've said disproves it (not that I'm against the possibility).

Far Cry 3 didn't do anything knew. Basically ever review of the game could tell you that, you didn't even have to play it. It took elements from a bunch of successful games like RDR and the AC series and put them together. Some people really didn't enjoy the game because when you break it down a lot of it seems pointless and superfluous when compared to the main story. A lot of it is just extra stuff to do. That can be quite fun for some people, just not everyone.

#47 Posted by MirkoS77 (6866 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@Pffrbt said:

Far Cry 3 didn't do anything knew. Basically ever review of the game could tell you that, you didn't even have to play it. It took elements from a bunch of successful games like RDR and the AC series and put them together. Some people really didn't enjoy the game because when you break it down a lot of it seems pointless and superfluous when compared to the main story. A lot of it is just extra stuff to do. That can be quite fun for some people, just not everyone.

RDR and AC are third person. FPS is not.

#48 Posted by gamerguru100 (10401 posts) -

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

Derp

#49 Posted by Ariabed (1099 posts) -

@firefox59: "Far Cry 3 didn't do anything knew. Basically ever review of the game could tell you that"

By "knew" I think you mean "new" and the games you mentioned are 3rd person, I asked of uniqueness of a game in its genre which farcry3 did have something unique in some of it's takedowns, unless you can name another FPS with takedowns like the knife throw takedown etc

#50 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15802 posts) -

I don't see any other game with this kind of UI:

FSX multi-window (within the game or separate windows) and multimonitor.