What do you think of games with multiple discs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

Whats your opinion on games that are made up of many discs?(ex: disc 1, disc 2, disc 3 etc.) I mean any muli-disc game in general, but mostly ones where the game's story is contained on all of them and youre required to have all three to finish.

In my opinion, I love how those games have a large deatiled plot, but I really dont like the fact that you need all of them. To me its a huge inconvenience! If one of the discs were to get scratched or there were a problem with one cutscene then you cannot finish unless you buy a set. even just losing one disc prevents you from finishing. I think that the whole the story of the game should always be on one disc, for convenience, and if a game has more than one disc, the other disc should only have additional content, or another story not related to the main one, so youre not required to have those other discs.

I had an idea of a way to keep games with a huge main story(or multiple chapters and characters) on one disc:

A character selection screen like the ones used in Fighting games(ex: Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, super smash Bros etc.) you chose the characters(only a certain amount can be chosen), the game's story is programmed with blank spaces between the beginning and end(in the main story), the individual stories and even the characters themselves are cut&pasted into the main story and all character's chapters are the same length to fill each space in the main plot. so every single time you play the story and characters in it will ALWAYS be different, and the main story will only be on one disc.

#2 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

I only have three games that have multiple discs (Xenosaga Ep 2 and 3, and Final Fantasy 8) and it doesn't really bother me.

I rarely ever lose my games and I don't mind the whole getting up and switching discs things so its not a big deal to me.

#3 Posted by wiouds (5069 posts) -

I have a number of gmaes that are more than on disc.

I have no problem with the games.

I do have the problem with the stupid ideal that it is a huge negative for a game that some try o do

#4 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

I do have the problem with the stupid ideal that it is a huge negative for a game that some try o do

wiouds

What ideal are you referring to?

#5 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
they seem unnecessary. multiple discs are generally from an overload of cutscenes. people always talk about how huge skyrim is but it fit nicely on one 360 disc. it just didn't need all that fluff to tell its story.
#6 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

AntJR

What ideal are you referring to?

Some people are completley appalled and annoyed at even the thought of spending one minute of their life swapping discs. THE HORROR!

A more valid argument that I could kind of understand, is how some games recquire you to swap discs to backtrack. I could see how someone would get annoyed by that. However, not all games do this. In Xenosaga you could backtrack later on and not have to switch back to disc 1.

#7 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

Some people are completley appalled and annoyed at even the thought of spending one minute of their life swapping discs. THE HORROR!

A more valid argument that I could kind of understand, is how some games recquire you to swap discs to backtrack. I could see how someone would get annoyed by that. However, not all games do this. In Xenosaga you could backtrack later on and not have to switch back to disc 1.

Lucky_Krystal

Oh, backtracking, it might be inconvenient if you have to go back to the previous disc to get something required of you to have, but you don't have the previous disc, lol :)

#8 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]Some people are completley appalled and annoyed at even the thought of spending one minute of their life swapping discs. THE HORROR!

AntJR

Oh, backtracking, it might be inconvenient if you have to go back to the previous disc to get something required of you to have, but you don't have the previous disc, lol :)

Star Ocean: The Last Hope does this to no end. I mean, when you're done with Disc 1, you're done with Disc 1, but let's say you get to the final area of the game and decide you want to take on one of the game's superbosses. Disc 3 basically contains the final town and areas of the game (and of course, the cutscene data), and Disc 2 has mostly everything else. You'd have to warp back to a town on Roak, which is on Disc 2. You beat the superboss, but you want to see the game's ending. Back to Disc 3 you go! Of course, I don't mind that sort of thing, but I do wish Games on Demand would sell multi-disc games on XBL. My proposed theory is this: When you buy the game, it comes in 3 separate downloads. You download the 1st disc like normal, and off you go playing. You can optionally download the other 2 discs, or do it later. And when you finally get to the point where you have to switch discs, you press the Guide button, choose Play Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and another prompt will appear, asking for which disc. You choose Disc 2, and the system checks if the file exists or not. If it does, the guide will close and mount the disc, and continue the game like normal. If not, then you'd have to download it from Xbox Live (just make sure you saved first!).
#9 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

Of course, I don't mind that sort of thing, but I do wish Games on Demand would sell multi-disc games on XBL. My proposed theory is this: When you buy the game, it comes in 3 separate downloads. You download the 1st disc like normal, and off you go playing. You can optionally download the other 2 discs, or do it later. And when you finally get to the point where you have to switch discs, you press the Guide button, choose Play Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and another prompt will appear, asking for which disc. You choose Disc 2, and the system checks if the file exists or not. If it does, the guide will close and mount the disc, and continue the game like normal. If not, then you'd have to download it from Xbox Live (just make sure you saved first!).tjoeb123
Downloads would be a good idea, they wouldnt scratch or break, you'd have to have internet access though :)

#10 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
i wouldnt know..i have a ps3 :cool:
#11 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

Wow, last game I played with multiple discs was REmake on gamecube. I didn't know it was still around.

#12 Posted by wis3boi (31122 posts) -

I don't really remember a time I actually opened the dvd drive on my PC

#13 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

They are as good as non existant anymore this generation. Except you play on XBox360

#14 Posted by puddinghead101 (153 posts) -

Being on the PS3 this just does not happen for me anymore but I don't know whether its nostalgia talking but I loved playing through Final Fantasy 9 on four discs because they always switched over at important points in the story so it seemed more special.

#15 Posted by Archangel3371 (15368 posts) -
I have no problem with them. I love cutscenes especially beautifully pre-rendered ones so the more of those the better. Swapping discs doesn't bother me at all so that's a non-issue. You could just as easily lose or scratch a one disc game and the effect would be just the same but I take very good care of my games so this isn't an issue for me either.
#16 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Well I primarily play my PS3, where games only ever require one disc. So when I move to my 360 once in a while I don't like it when there are multiple discs.

#17 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

It feels old school. I don't have to deal with them because I'm on PS3.

#18 Posted by Allicrombie (25133 posts) -
Its a conspiracy to turn us all into mindless disc swapping zombies,
#19 Posted by Floridaman46 (250 posts) -

I have got no problem with more than one disc. BUT I want those Booklets back that are no more.

#20 Posted by ReviewerDrake (766 posts) -

PS3

#21 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2397 posts) -

It probably has more to do with how much can be fit on a disc, as I have some games on my 360 that are two discs but on PS3 are one disc/bluray disc. Though, this seems to happen more for me when a game has a disc for singleplayer and one for multiplayer. Though, The Witcher 2 has 3 discs, I believe 2 of them are for the campaign, and I know one is for the bonus OST disc, which is pretty cool.

Still, while it's nice to have it all on one disc, I have no problem if it needs to be on two, as long as the game is good that's all that matters for me.

#22 Posted by Lord_Terrapin (45 posts) -
I do not own any games that have two discs, I refuse to buy them.
#23 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
I can think of maybe one ps3 game I have that came on multiple disks, and it was a compilation so idk, never really have to think about it.
#24 Posted by skooks (1411 posts) -

It doesnt bother me in the slightest.

#25 Posted by LordBrew (269 posts) -

I don't really see why anyone should care if a game comes on more than one disc, although I guess those that get really annoyed about are those that expect life to be spoon fed to them.

#26 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

I don't really see why anyone should care if a game comes on more than one disc, although I guess those that get really annoyed about are those that expect life to be spoon fed to them.

LordBrew

No, that doesnt automatically mean that.

#27 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Thank god we're mostly past that time in history for games.

#28 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
I don't mind multiple discs, but I have to admit with PS3 it is nice not to have to worry about that. Even if I did it's not the end of the world :cool:
#29 Posted by mariokart64fan (19379 posts) -

I WOULDNT KNOW as i primary game on nintendo consoles i hardly ever see games on two disc infact there was only 4 on the gamecube i owned that did -they are moh rising sun goldeneye rouge agent , re0 and re1

#30 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

It seems like many of you own a PS3. I really like the invention of the PS3 becuase of that only need for one disc, alot more convenient and more space on the disk :D

#31 Posted by LordBrew (269 posts) -

[QUOTE="LordBrew"]

AntJR

Why not?
#32 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -

I WOULDNT KNOW as i primary game on nintendo consoles i hardly ever see games on two disc infact there was only 4 on the gamecube i owned that did -they are moh rising sun goldeneye rouge agent , re0 and re1

mariokart64fan
There was also Tales of Symphonia.... I've always wanted to own that game but never had the chance, despite it being in pretty much every NP issue I was reading at the time.
#33 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

[QUOTE="AntJR"]

[QUOTE="LordBrew"]

LordBrew

Why not?

Because, just because people want to make sure they have all of thier discs and not worry about encountering a problem in the middle of a game doesnt mean they want everything handed to them. That assumption is incorrect, those two things arent related.

#34 Posted by LordBrew (269 posts) -

[QUOTE="LordBrew"][QUOTE="AntJR"]

AntJR

Why not?

Because, just because people want to make sure they have all of thier discs and not worry about encountering a problem in the middle of a game doesnt mean they want everything handed to them. That assumption is incorrect, those two things arent related.

OK, I see your point and maybe I used a somewhat extreme example originally. However, I really cannot understand how or why there are complaints regarding games coming on multiple discs. Someone earlier posted that they refuse to buy games that come on more than one disc. How on earth can you justify not buying a game because it has more than one disc? (Unless it's a crap game of course) If we were still playing games spread across five or more floppy discs that I might be able to comprehend the moaning.
#35 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

I have no problem with multiple discs. It does not necessarily means the quality of the game is good, despite the many discs though.

#36 Posted by photokid201 (220 posts) -
I think that its okay if the story runs onto multiple discs, but it annoys me when the multiplayer is on a separate disc.
#37 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

[QUOTE="AntJR"]

[QUOTE="LordBrew"] Why not? LordBrew

OK, I see your point and maybe I used a somewhat extreme example originally. However, I really cannot understand how or why there are complaints regarding games coming on multiple discs. Someone earlier posted that they refuse to buy games that come on more than one disc. How on earth can you justify not buying a game because it has more than one disc? (Unless it's a crap game of course) If we were still playing games spread across five or more floppy discs that I might be able to comprehend the moaning.

Oh, ok, I see your point too :)

I'd never not buy the game becuase it has more than one disc, personally, I dont dislike it that much :D

#38 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14401 posts) -

I think if I lose a disc, I'm pretty much screwed.

#39 Posted by chicknfeet (15625 posts) -
I typically don't have a problem with multiple discs for a game, unless it's something where you have to go back and forth between discs to make any progress (Mass Effect 3 is a good example of that)
#40 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
I have no problem with it. Sometimes the disc swap moments are timed nicely for breaks, though these days it's not really much of a concern most of the time (especially with things like Forza's car install disc or Halo's multiplayer install disc). Multi-disc games on the PS1 were awesome, though. Even though the only reason for them was that the PS1 had horribly inefficient video codecs that resulted in bloated JRPG file sizes, it still felt great.
#41 Posted by HipHopBeats (2874 posts) -

LordBrew

One annoyance is cheap disc holders companies use. Particularly for Collector Edition versios of games. The discs are locked in the holders so tight, you cracking the disc trying to get it out the case. With current technology, there should be no need for one game on multiple discs. I'm surprised finding out this late in this gen that Xboxers still have to deal with 'please insert disc 2' prompts. PS1 was 2 gens ago.

#42 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
I don't mind it :P How lazy do you have to be to not want to get off your ass to put a disc in after progressing through the story :P
#43 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -

[QUOTE="LordBrew"]

HipHopBeats

One annoyance is cheap disc holders companies use. Particularly for Collector Edition versios of games. The discs are locked in the holders so tight, you cracking the disc trying to get it out the case. With current technology, there should be no need for one game on multiple discs. I'm surprised finding out this late in this gen that Xboxers still have to deal with 'please insert disc 2' prompts. PS1 was 2 gens ago.

This annoys me though, when I still had an xbox I had blue dragon, they placed four discs on one little thing, and it was one of those holders that was just a like bump, so you couldn't push it down, you had to like slide the disc off of it :P that was annoying xP
#44 Posted by AntJR (48 posts) -

I don't mind it :P How lazy do you have to be to not want to get off your ass to put a disc in after progressing through the story :PTrainerCeleste

Its not about being lazy, lol :)