What do you think games will be like in the next 10 to 15 years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by brucecambell (1572 posts) -

Do you think more genres will die, games will become even more dumbed down, all games will be 100% shooters, Call Of Duy will still exist when it hits its 20 sequel & Mario will become a FPS game?

gearsofmario_2.jpg

mario_fps.jpg

Im being serious though. Just by looking at the recent trend in games over these past years what do you think will happen to games just over the next 10 years or so?

Also what would you like to see happen to games in the next 10 years?

#2 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Do you think more genres will die, games will become even more dumbed down, all games will be 100% shooters, Call Of Duy will still exist when it hits its 20 sequel & Mario will become a FPS game?

gearsofmario_2.jpg

mario_fps.jpg

Im being serious though. Just by looking at the recent trend in games over these past years what do you think will happen to games just over the next 10 years or so?

Also what would you like to see happen to games in the next 10 years?

brucecambell

In 10 to 15 years, most games will either be FPS's (as you said) or games like Metal Gear Solid 4 (with barley any gameplay but a great story) or Mass Effect 2 (with lots of lackluster gameplay and a great story). They need to make more games like Saints Row 2, Saints Row The Third and Just Cause 2, those games are FUN, not sure if many game developers even know what they word means. Also, teenagers in 10-15 years will have no idea that the stealth/puzzle platformer/survival horror genres even existed.

#3 Posted by almasdeathchild (9517 posts) -

action action and more action no veriety at all we hardly have that now so many shooters(tps fps) that gameing is just stale hell the best survival horror game is now an action game to appeal to the masses. i dont see much of a bright future but who knows

#4 Posted by Jackboot343 (2574 posts) -

I fear that developers will be hurt by the increasing cost to develop top tier games and put their efforts elsewhere...into games such as Farmville or Angry Birds. I'm indifferent to those games, but I thought they were meant to introduce non-gamers to'real' games. I'd love to see the price tag of sports games reduced to an annual patch/expansion.

I believe it is likely one of the three between Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo will no longer be here, and it's possible a new competitor may enter the gaming market. Physical copies of games will be no more. Single player games will be no more. Piracy will be no more. 4K resolution will be standard. Possible shift toward sandbox or MMO games. Rehashing will be beyond rampant. One potential brightside is that eventually game engines and creation kits will be made readily available and user friendly allowing passionate gamers to create unique full-fledged games. Loading times will be a thing of the past as well as backward compatibility.

I'm curious if any studies will finally be able to confirm or deny violence in video games relating to RL. I feel the ESRB will become more lenient and possible more nudity with more emphasis on boob physics. :lol:

#5 Posted by Gamr2723 (119 posts) -

Personally I think some of the big developers will fade away, EA, for one. I have been a PC gamer since 1983 and I have recently seen a trend that I believe will become more contagious Indie games!!! I believe these developers, (gamers, who write games for gamers) will greatly increase and will become even more popular than they are today. I have played many of these titles, and even though they don't have millions to spend on advertising, these games are amazing. Example...Limbo, Super Meatboy, Bastion, Minecraft, Terraria, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, etc. As you look at this trend I believe it will increase, as these games have to cause the big $$$$$ four, (EA, Activision, Ubisoft and 2K) to take notice. Let's watch and see.

#6 Posted by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

Imho the change won't be exponential as likewise according to "Murphy's law" (if one ever believed in it): e.g., many mobile games available today in both gameplay & graphics are still not too far away from the original 8-bit ones published in the 1990s...

#7 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

Over the next 2 - 3 years we'll see more and more shooters, more and more online, fewer new IP's, etc. Then people will get bored with one near-identical Call of Duty sequel after another and that whole thing will crash and burn. THEN we'll finally start seeing some variety, some interest in genres other than shooters, some new IP's. That cycle will repeat itself over and over in 5-8 year periods, just with some other game getting popular and everyone else copying it each time.

#8 Posted by Norrie91 (2444 posts) -

Terrible if everything is gonna be motion controlled and touch screen controllers.

Plus the curret state of most, not all but MOST games coming out just now aren't even that good. More games need to learn a thing or 2 from Metal Gear Solid 4 which to me is easilly the Best Game on the Current Gens. Consoles.

There are only a handfull of games that even come somewhat close too that game Storywise.

Sure we all love good gameplay but whats the point without a single player good story? More and more games focusing on MP and giving us a half assed single player experience is sickening. Not everyone is obsessed with Multiplayer.

The only Company that seems to do both good and actually give a damn are Rockstar, there's probably a couple more but not many and they certainly aren't putting enough games out..

#9 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Well the future of gaming isn't exactly bright in my opinion. As most games do seem to be accomodating shooter fans, pulling features from previous titles, and becoming multiplayer/co-op oriented. This trend has spread like a virus over the course of this generation. Games that seem to sell these days are shooters like Max Payne 3, Gears Of War, Splinter Cell Conviction, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Ghost Recon and so on.

There are of course other I.P's which sell that do not include much shooting. However these titles are much fewer. Consoles seem to be more focused on becoming a social device and all around entertainment center rather than a gaming system these days. With the future being downloadable titles there will be plenty of gamers left out in the cold. Games will essentially become glorified rentals. Visuals and tech will be the bread and butter while gameplay and variety/depth will become more and more a thing of the past.

Many developers will go under in the coming generation of consoles due to developement costs and other reasons. To be honest, I see gaming going in seperate directions. With one going towards mobile/free to play/10$ downloadable titles and the other side will continue the direction its heading... disaster, with a truck load of bullets.

#10 Posted by brucecambell (1572 posts) -

Well the future of gaming isn't exactly bright in my opinion. As most games do seem to be accomodating shooter fans, pulling features from previous titles, and becoming multiplayer/co-op oriented. This trend has spread like a virus over the course of this generation. Games that seem to sell these days are shooters like Max Payne 3, Gears Of War, Splinter Cell Conviction, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Ghost Recon and so on.

There are of course other I.P's which sell that do not include much shooting. However these titles are much fewer. Consoles seem to be more focused on becoming a social device and all around entertainment center rather than a gaming system these days. With the future being downloadable titles there will be plenty of gamers left out in the cold. Games will essentially become glorified rentals. Visuals and tech will be the bread and butter while gameplay and variety/depth will become more and more a thing of the past.

Many developers will go under in the coming generation of consoles due to developement costs and other reasons. To be honest, I see gaming going in seperate directions. With one going towards mobile/free to play/10$ downloadable titles and the other side will continue the direction its heading... disaster, with a truck load of bullets.

contracts420

This

#11 Posted by brucecambell (1572 posts) -

I have to say so far i agree with every single comment. Everybody that has posted seems to have hit the nail on the head.

#12 Posted by DraugenCP (8471 posts) -

I seriously doubt shooters will still be as popular as they are today. Remember when 3D platformers were flooding the market in the N64/PSone era? Not much are around to day. Granted, the FPS hype has took more excessive forms, but things will eventually shift when a few big-selling franchises fall flat on their face. I think RPGs/action adventure blends are likely to become more popular. These games already seem to become more common, and there's a lot to be gained in terms of both artistic and market potential.

#13 Posted by DraugenCP (8471 posts) -

Sure we all love good gameplay but whats the point without a single player good story?Norrie91

Super Mario Galaxy 2 proved that limiting the story can give leeway to more creativity. So in that case, there very definitely is a point to good gameplay without a good story.

I also think that good storytelling is more important than a good story. Only a handful of video game stories aren't completely terrible anyway, and what makes most single player experiences stick out story-wise is the storytelling. Half-Life 2 is generally praised for its 'story'. Not because of its interesting or deep plot, because it is in fact pretty bad, but because it presented events in an interesting way, had good acting/presentation, and didn't interrupt the gameplay experience. The last thing we need is these 'cinematic' experiences which reduce the interactivity of the player: interactivity is what gaming is about. In this sense, future developers should not take lessons from MGS4, but from Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason, as this is one of the very few games that managed to tell a very deep, original story while only taking the direction out of the player's hands on a few occasions. More video game developers need to realise that story and gameplay need to be blended, and not turn games into pseudo-interactive films.

#14 Posted by 2saugat (1439 posts) -

You people do realize that even if we see the downfall of mainstream gaming. The booming of indie gaming scene has just started.

#15 Posted by ristactionjakso (5725 posts) -

I think the devs will make only half of a game and sell it for 60$, and make you buy the other half as on disc DLC for 60$, and by then every game will have an online pass so you have to spend an additional 15$ to unlock the online portion of the game. Maybe even a story mode/campaign pass for 15$ too.

But all the games will be so glitchy/bugged out/effed up that they will make you buy updates for the games too for 5$ a pop.

And all the systems will have a life expectancy of 4-5 months with a 2 month warranty, if you want the extended warranty it's gonna cost you an additional 250$. If not, you can send it in for a half repair job for 200$ every 4-5 months.

.........I can see it happening.

#16 Posted by Kevlar101 (6100 posts) -
Covered in gold chains
#17 Posted by Kevlar101 (6100 posts) -

I think the devs will make only half of a game and sell it for 60$, and make you buy the other half as on disc DLC for 60$, and by then every game will have an online pass so you have to spend an additional 15$ to unlock the online portion of the game. Maybe even a story mode/campaign pass for 15$ too.

But all the games will be so glitchy/bugged out/effed up that they will make you buy updates for the games too for 5$ a pop.

And all the systems will have a life expectancy of 4-5 months with a 2 month warranty, if you want the extended warranty it's gonna cost you an additional 250$. If not, you can send it in for a half repair job for 200$ every 4-5 months.

ristactionjakso
Your not very joyful......
#18 Posted by jsmoke03 (12837 posts) -

casual crap with simple mechanics...true these games are addicting....but i wouldn't call them fun

#19 Posted by danygo1996 (372 posts) -

Half Life 3

#20 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
The way things are going I can see regular games moving in a Facebook direction by constantly outputting status updates and twitter messages saying what you're playing and what achievements you've got. Prices of games will keep increasing and of course the vast number of games won't be worth their price, their may even be a bubble due to market over saturation. There will be some games which offer good stories and depth but they'll be vastly outweighed by copy cats which will wonder why they don't sell as well as the big titles (we've already had this happening for a while).
#21 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -

ristactionjakso
That $60 is going to increase, we've already seen this in PC games and with a few console titles also collectors editions will probably become the norm to encourage physical sales over digital which will of course raise prices more. I wouldn't be surprised for $100-$120 a game to become normal for a physical copy in a decade or so.
#22 Posted by the_hitman_guy (710 posts) -

Quality strategy and role-playing games will continue to come out on a regular basis.

But really how many genres are there? Adventure games are unpopular now, but have been so for many years now. Shooters are the default genre now but is that so bad? Most people do not want to invest the time required for RPGs and strategy games. That is understandable.

Maybe we will get an increasing number of (quasi?) 2-D games. The 2-D graphics they make now outshine by far the sprite-based graphics of the 90s.

#23 Posted by brucecambell (1572 posts) -

ristactionjakso

LMAO. You are very optimistic :cool:

It is very far fetched but after seeing what i've seen from the game industry i think we all could believe this could happen.

#24 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8846 posts) -

Video gaming will have completely taken over the movie/DVD/Blu-ray industry as our main source of entertainment. At the same time, games will have completely phased out the gameplay aspect of gaming by this time.

Essentially, in 15 years, we will have $70 movies which we'll call video games.

#25 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Video gaming will have completely taken over the movie/DVD/Blu-ray industry as our main source of entertainment. At the same time, games will have completely phased out the gameplay aspect of gaming by this time.

Essentially, in 15 years, we will have $70 movies which we'll call video games.

Pikminmaniac
This and only this
#26 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Uh,i don't think we'll have holograms developed enough,they are still in an experiemental state.

Maybe.

But they'll only get better and better.

#27 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -

gearsofmario_2.jpg

brucecambell

I would buy that in a heartbeat!

But I feel gaming in the future will just be more motion control now.

#28 Posted by OB-47 (10908 posts) -

I can't guess the next 5 years let alone 15 years. My say is that online will become integrated in every game we play somehow

#29 Posted by MirkoS77 (7320 posts) -

I fear for gaming. Look at what has happened just this generation. If it continues I wouldn't rule out another industry crash...which may be what's needed.

#30 Posted by Nightowl99 (756 posts) -

Quality strategy and role-playing games will continue to come out on a regular basis.

But really how many genres are there? Adventure games are unpopular now, but have been so for many years now. Shooters are the default genre now but is that so bad? Most people do not want to invest the time required for RPGs and strategy games. That is understandable.

Maybe we will get an increasing number of (quasi?) 2-D games. The 2-D graphics they make now outshine by far the sprite-based graphics of the 90s.

the_hitman_guy

Excuse me? Think I'll have to disagree with you there. *looks at Elder Scrolls*. Sure RPG'S have hit kind of a dead spot, but when the shooter fad dies down, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of them since they're becoming more open worldish with better graphics then they used to have. RPG'S have been around a lot longer than most shooters, so I wouldn't be surprised if they come back in a few years.

#31 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

I hope to see some virtual reality simulation, where horror games will cause true fear in the face of survival, and action games will be completely intense!!

#32 Posted by the_hitman_guy (710 posts) -

Sure RPG'S have hit kind of a dead spotNightowl99

What dead spot?

#33 Posted by the_hitman_guy (710 posts) -
By the way, shooters have been the default genre for about 15 years. The OP does not predict any change for the future. If anything the OP's hyperbole says that nothing will change.