What do you think are the main reasosn the GC was a disater for Nintendo?

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for KillerCannonade
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KillerCannonade
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts
Above.
MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

It Wasn't.

:|

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KillerCannonade

It Wasn't.

MonkeySpot
Pretty sure it was. But lack of people thinking nothing was wrong such as YOURSELF would be one of the top reasons by default.
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KillerCannonade
Oh and for those that are probably readin my opening post wrong I said "Disaster" not "Failure." 2 different things.
TyberZannxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TyberZannxxxx
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

The Gamecube wasn't really a disaster for Nintendo. It actually did well.

The only Nintendo console that was a disaster was the Virtual Boy.

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KillerCannonade

TyberZannxxxx
The only reason why it did well for Nintendo was because they had other money coming from somewhere else (some of it was from the GBA.) to hold up the lack of money and sales they were getting, especuially in software, having the same result with a high power console the next gen would have stabbed them which is why they went Wii. Also notice I said "Disater" not "Failure" and by that I meant in the market with the competition.
TyberZannxxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TyberZannxxxx
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

[QUOTE="TyberZannxxxx"]

KillerCannonade

The only reason why it did well for Nintendo was because they had other money coming from somewhere else (some of it was from the GBA.) to hold up the lack of money and sales they were getting, especuially in software, having the same result with a high power console the next gen would have stabbed them which is why they went Wii. Also notice I said "Disater" not "Failure" and by that I meant in the market with the competition.

But still, the Gamecube sold decently and got better third-party support than the N64.

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"][QUOTE="TyberZannxxxx"]

TyberZannxxxx

But still, the Gamecube sold decently and got better third-party support than the N64.

Which all suffered from software sales. Also the GC did poorly in NA and Japan (odd) and had decent software sales in PAL (odd) The N64 sold more, they were way to overconfident with brand name, that hurt them with the GC and thus is why they suddenly started being nice to developers. The GC by itself with none of Nintendos arcades, GBA sales, and other products would have had them start loosing money into the red around the late 2002 early 2003 period. The GC never actually met any set expectations (or well at least ones publicly announced.) The question is thugh, what where the leading causes to this? or that' what I am asking you, the consumers. or, well eh, Gamespot gamers in legacy platforms.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I'm surprised people are saying the GC did well in this thread. The console not only finished in last place in terms of sales last gen by a very large margin (ignoring the DC obviously), but it did so poorly that it nearly killed Nintendo (or at least nearly pushed them out of the console market and into handhelds exclusively). The GBA and DS were what kept Nintendo above water last gen, and the Wii was what gave the company a second revival. Anyway, OP, it's pretty well accepted that the reason the GC did so poorly was because of a complete lack of third party software. Most 3rd party games would come out on PS2 and Xbox, but it was rare for GC to get them. Nintendo and Capcom were pretty much carrying the GC by themselves. If you want to go deeper, the reason for the lack of 3rd party support was both Nintendo's arrogance (shown in both their attitude toward 3rd party publishers and their demands for licensing approval that made them unacceptably costly for a lot of publishers) as well as their decision to go with a bizarre media format.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Why are so many people trying to turn Legacy forum into System Wars 2:roll:

It wasn't a successful as some of their other consoles, but it was far from being a "disaster."

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KillerCannonade

It wasn't a successful as some of their other consoles, but it was far from being a "disaster."

Shenmue_Jehuty
What is "Close" to a disater for you? When they are already bankrupt? They had like 4 things that held the Gamecube up, by itself would have stabbed Nintendo HARD. THere's a reason there was a Wii - Notice, GC, overreliance on FP which almost killed them, bad acts toward 3rd party started hitting them N64 gen but they didn't improve, and they changed the GC era but it was pretty much too late, restricted space CD which added to the already high Dev cost for games and how to make them on a console more powerful then the PS2, wasted support on online without actually using it, the GBplayer bombed (you really needed another CD to use it? Really?) etc. etc. They were no where close to being far from Disater.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shenmue_Jehuty

[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

KillerCannonade

What is "Close" to a disater for you? When they are already bankrupt? They had like 4 things that held the Gamecube up, by itself would have stabbed Nintendo HARD. THere's a reason there was a Wii - Notice, GC, overreliance on FP which almost killed them, bad acts toward 3rd party started hitting them N64 gen but they didn't improve, and they changed the GC era but it was pretty much too late, restricted space CD which added to the already high Dev cost for games and how to make them on a console more powerful then the PS2, wasted support on online without actually using it, the GBplayer bombed (you really needed another CD to use it? Really?) etc. etc. They were no where close to being far from Disater.

I don't consider 21 million units sold a disaster, not even close.

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

I agree, the Gamecube was not a disaster...but the reason many of my friends and myself didn't use it as our main console, more or less a secondary. No online when online started getting bigger. No DVD player, and there in the begining of its life the games weren't all that impressive. NOt as many hardcore games like GTA, Halo, and no solid racing games to suck me in.

I did buy one though for the Nintendo exclusives (mario, zelda, etc) and the main main main reason to own one. Resident Evil (all of them!)

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
It wasn't a disaster. Best console last gen IMO.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

It Wasn't.

MonkeySpot

This.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shenmue_Jehuty

I agree, the Gamecube was not a disaster...but the reason many of my friends and myself didn't use it as our main console, more or less a secondary. No online when online started getting bigger. No DVD player, and there in the begining of its life the games weren't all that impressive. NOt as many hardcore games like GTA, Halo, and no solid racing games to suck me in.

I did buy one though for the Nintendo exclusives (mario, zelda, etc) and the main main main reason to own one. Resident Evil (all of them!)

Sportyfamilycar

YES! RE for the win! I actually bought a Gamecube just to play RE:Remake; still one of my all time favorite games :)

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KillerCannonade
It wasn't a disaster. Best console last gen IMO.YoshiYogurt
Disater and Failur are 2 different things. Also Shenue and Warrior Emeraldy seriously? It was clealry a disater for Nintendo, people like you guys thinking everything was fine is why the GC just sunk so low. Most likely, most people here didn't buy a GC during its time. Also Shenmue 21 selling is good? If you are on some drugs that make you ignore things like profits, investing software sales, making up for hardware and other thing which they all failed at and would have been in the red if not for like 4 other Nintendo objects that held the Gamecube up. Selling doesn't mean crap, look at current gen with the PS3 and Sony.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]It wasn't a disaster. Best console last gen IMO.KillerCannonade
Disater and Failur are 2 different things. Also Shenue and Warrior Emeraldy seriously? It was clealry a disater for Nintendo, people like you guys thinking everything was fine is why the GC just sunk so low. Most likely, most people here didn't buy a GC during its time. Also Shenmue 21 selling is good? If you are on some drugs that make you ignore things like profits, investing software sales, making up for hardware and other thing which they all failed at and would have been in the red if not for like 4 other Nintendo objects that held the Gamecube up. Selling doesn't mean crap, look at current gen with the PS3 and Sony.

This was last generation's disaster:

Gizmondo-picture.jpg

As to the Gamcube: Some of the best games of the last generation and sales of 21 million I'd hardly call "a disaster". 3rd place, sure, but they were far from bankrupt or anything. Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Zeldas, Eternal Darkness, Star Wars: Rouge Squadron 2 & 3, StarFox games, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and especially the Resident Evil remake. Definetly some great exclusives.

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"][QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"]It wasn't a disaster. Best console last gen IMO.Emerald_Warrior

This was last generation's disaster:

Gizmondo-picture.jpg

As to the Gamcube: Some of the best games of the last generation and sales of 21 million I'd hardly call "a disaster". 3rd place, sure, but they were far from bankrupt or anything. Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Zeldas, Eternal Darkness, Star Wars: Rouge Squadron 2 & 3, StarFox games, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and especially the Resident Evil remake. Definetly some great exclusives.

Stop it just stop it. Please just stop it. Oh holy lordy what you said makes no sense. Does breath of they faith sir croc neck? Your opinion is not based on reality, reality is based on reality, numbers don't equal anything, for the cost of the GC, for a company that only had like 3 things holding up the GC, by itself, would have hurt Nin terribly. They would have been in deep red. 21 million in sales is pretty bad for what the GC was, it could have been an Xbox disater orworse if the GC was by itself and nintendo is not Ms and would not have been able to take those losses without cutting a few thing immensly. It was a disater. how can liking game on it prevent reality. It's all right there.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

so is the ps3 a disaster for sony?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It wasn't. My collection of over 60 GC games is a testament to that, there are some amazing games on that system.

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KillerCannonade

so is the ps3 a disaster for sony?

KBFloYd
Yes. if you think otherwise you need help. They have build from it though but the damage was already done.
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KillerCannonade

It wasn't. My collection of over 60 GC games is a testament to that, there are some amazing games on that system.

turtlethetaffer
Reality is it was a disater. It can't not be a disater to you because it was. It could have caused Nintendo some much more serious problems then it already did. Thy reality is the key, your liking does not change reality Crocneck.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

KillerCannonade

Reality is it was a disater. It can't not be a disater to you because it was. It could have caused Nintendo some much more serious problems then it already did. Thy reality is the key, your liking does not change reality Crocneck.

How can a system with so many good games be a disaster?

And why the hell do you keep calling me Crocneck?

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

Failure and Disater or two different words. For Nintendo the system was a disater, in the market it was a disater, compared to the competition it was a disater, it;s support was a disater, profit? Was a disater. Failure would be the word you are looking for. This is "Disater" Spell it with me now D.I>>>S.???A:::S////T----E+++R=Disater.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] Reality is it was a disater. It can't not be a disater to you because it was. It could have caused Nintendo some much more serious problems then it already did. Thy reality is the key, your liking does not change reality Crocneck.KillerCannonade

Failure and Disater or two different words. For Nintendo the system was a disater, in the market it was a disater, compared to the competition it was a disater, it;s support was a disater, profit? Was a disater. Failure would be the word you are looking for. This is "Disater" Spell it with me now D.I>>>S.???A:::S////T----E+++R=Disater.

Crocneck?

I find it ironic you're telling me to spell disaster when you said "disater."

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KillerCannonade

turtlethetaffer

Crocneck?

That's how they spell it in EU/PAl. Just ask any PAl type person. Like here it's COLOR, there it's COLOUR Here it's Disaster, there it's Disater. Pal people until 2008 were also mentally unable to see past 50 FPS for a long time. The more you know.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] Failure and Disater or two different words. For Nintendo the system was a disater, in the market it was a disater, compared to the competition it was a disater, it;s support was a disater, profit? Was a disater. Failure would be the word you are looking for. This is "Disater" Spell it with me now D.I>>>S.???A:::S////T----E+++R=Disater.KillerCannonade

Crocneck?

That's how they spell it in EU/PAl. Just ask any PAl type person. Like here it's COLOR, there it's COLOUR Here it's Disaster, there it's Disater. Pal people until 2008 were also mentally unable to see past 50 FPS for a long time. The more you know.

But... if you live in America, which I'm assuming you do since you said "HERE it's disaster" why would you use the EU spelling, if that's really how it is?

Also... Crocneck?

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] Reality is it was a disater. It can't not be a disater to you because it was. It could have caused Nintendo some much more serious problems then it already did. Thy reality is the key, your liking does not change reality Crocneck.KillerCannonade

Right, everyone else is blind to reality and you're the only one that sees it the right way.

...you realize that every single person in this thread except for you is in agreement that Gamecube wasn't a disaster, don't you?

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 turtlethetaffer

Emerald_Warrior

Right, everyone else is blind to reality and you're the only one that sees it the right way.

...you realize that every single person in this thread except for you is in agreement that Gamecube wasn't a disaster, don't you?

I tihnk we should let the troll have his fun for now and play along.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] Failure and Disater or two different words. For Nintendo the system was a disater, in the market it was a disater, compared to the competition it was a disater, it;s support was a disater, profit? Was a disater. Failure would be the word you are looking for. This is "Disater" Spell it with me now D.I>>>S.???A:::S////T----E+++R=Disater.KillerCannonade

Crocneck?

HA HA HA HA!!!! You continue to amaze me. That is in absolutely no way shape or form correct.

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KillerCannonade

Crocneck?

Emerald_Warrior

HA HA HA HA!!!! You continue to amaze me. That is in absolutely no way shape or form correct.

First of all a guy on the first page mentioned it was a disater to. Also it was a disater for Nintedo. You are not Nintedo, your opinion DOES NOT MATTER. Thy Reality is flawed deemd thy rotate Crocneck. Also how is this quoted post wrong? THere's a reson PAL TVS could not see past 50FPS at the time. Ask any Pal guy, they were unable to until recently with higher quality TVs and they evolved. Also Disaster here, Disater over there. I also makes a perfect shape and form.
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] Failure and Disater or two different words. For Nintendo the system was a disater, in the market it was a disater, compared to the competition it was a disater, it;s support was a disater, profit? Was a disater. Failure would be the word you are looking for. This is "Disater" Spell it with me now D.I>>>S.???A:::S////T----E+++R=Disater.turtlethetaffer

So you're Nintedo and that guy on the first page doesn;t exit? Pretending people don;t exist is trolling, what I say is the Truth. Guess Xbox was a disaster for MS either than huh? Gosh you Crocnecks.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Emerald_Warrior

Also how is this quoted post wrong?.KillerCannonade

This part is wrong:

Also Disaster here, Disater over there.KillerCannonade

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] That's how they spell it in EU/PAl. Just ask any PAl type person. Like here it's COLOR, there it's COLOUR Here it's Disaster, there it's Disater. Pal people until 2008 were also mentally unable to see past 50 FPS for a long time. The more you know.KillerCannonade

First of all a guy on the first page mentioned it was a disater to. Also it was a disater for Nintedo. You are not Nintedo, your opinion DOES NOT MATTER. Thy Reality is flawed deemd thy rotate Crocneck. Also how is this quoted post wrong? THere's a reson PAL TVS could not see past 50FPS at the time. Ask any Pal guy, they were unable to until recently with higher quality TVs and they evolved. Also Disaster here, Disater over there. I also makes a perfect shape and form.

You are a master troll. Here, something for you.

citizen-kane-clapping3ny9c.gif

And something else for your trouble.

Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 turtlethetaffer

KillerCannonade

So you're Nintedo and that guy on the first page doesn;t exit? Pretending people don;t exist is trolling, what I say is the Truth. Guess Xbox was a disaster for MS either than huh? Gosh you Crocnecks.

The hell is a crocneck? I searched for it online, got nothin.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

turtlethetaffer

reverse-1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clap

Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

Can't see the first pic.

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KillerCannonade

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] First of all a guy on the first page mentioned it was a disater to. Also it was a disater for Nintedo. You are not Nintedo, your opinion DOES NOT MATTER. Thy Reality is flawed deemd thy rotate Crocneck. Also how is this quoted post wrong? THere's a reson PAL TVS could not see past 50FPS at the time. Ask any Pal guy, they were unable to until recently with higher quality TVs and they evolved. Also Disaster here, Disater over there. I also makes a perfect shape and form.Emerald_Warrior

Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

Can't see the first pic.

Picture must be 50fps too fast for you to see. Subtract 10 from the framerate Turtle.
KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KillerCannonade

turtlethetaffer

Asl yourself. What is a Crocodile? What does it Neck look like? The Texture? Then you have your answer./
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] First of all a guy on the first page mentioned it was a disater to. Also it was a disater for Nintedo. You are not Nintedo, your opinion DOES NOT MATTER. Thy Reality is flawed deemd thy rotate Crocneck. Also how is this quoted post wrong? THere's a reson PAL TVS could not see past 50FPS at the time. Ask any Pal guy, they were unable to until recently with higher quality TVs and they evolved. Also Disaster here, Disater over there. I also makes a perfect shape and form.Emerald_Warrior

Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

Can't see the first pic.

Think I fixed it. If not, it's a gif of Citizen Kane clapping.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] So you're Nintedo and that guy on the first page doesn;t exit? Pretending people don;t exist is trolling, what I say is the Truth. Guess Xbox was a disaster for MS either than huh? Gosh you Crocnecks.KillerCannonade

Asl yourself. What is a Crocodile? What does it Neck look like? The Texture? Then you have your answer./

So you are literally calling me the neck of a crocodile. This calls for one thing and one thing only.

hra43s.jpg

KillerCannonade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KillerCannonade

turtlethetaffer

So you are literally calling me the neck of a crocodile. This calls for one thing and one thing only.

hra43s.jpg

No, I am calling you a stubborn person who has some rought edges on his brain. Some crocnecks also in many cases can't see past 50frames per second (Emeral Warrior) Emerald is also the first non-pal to not be able to see past 50fps without actually being from Europe.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#44 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

This thread.

72865_o.gif

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="KillerCannonade"] Asl yourself. What is a Crocodile? What does it Neck look like? The Texture? Then you have your answer./KillerCannonade

hra43s.jpg

No, I am calling you a stubborn person who has some rought edges on his brain. Some crocnecks also in many cases can't see past 50frames per second (Emeral Warrior) Emerald is also the first non-pal to not be able to see past 50fps without actually being from Europe.

I can't hear you over the sound of spiderman.

spider-meme-6.jpg

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shenmue_Jehuty

hra43s.jpg

turtlethetaffer

I can't hear you over the sound of spiderman.

spider-meme-6.jpg

LMAO! That pic always makes me laugh!

Since we're talking about Nintendo and all

2005849-fe2dc_ORIG-my_body_is_ready_supe

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#47 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Shenmue_Jehuty
*sigh* I know. :( This place used to be SO much more respected.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#48 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

I'm surprised people are saying the GC did well in this thread. The console not only finished in last place in terms of sales last gen by a very large margin (ignoring the DC obviously), but it did so poorly that it nearly killed Nintendo (or at least nearly pushed them out of the console market and into handhelds exclusively). The GBA and DS were what kept Nintendo above water last gen, and the Wii was what gave the company a second revival.gameguy6700
WHAT? :? Sorry, but no. GameCube didn't nearly kill them and GBA/DS weren't the only things that kept them afloat, as Nintendo still made a profit out of that cube.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

It wasn't a disaster,it's just that it didn't have as much support as the PS2.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I dunno, the PS2 and Xbox were easy to pirate while GC wasn't?

I'd say people went with the system that had the best support, DVD playback "out-of-the-box" and was the most advertised/hyped. And that happened to be the PS2 (Xbox wasn't exactly a success either, despite better graphics and some worthwhile exclusives).