What do you predict for the future of gaming??

#1 Posted by Ariabed (1094 posts) -

If things carry on as they are now what do you predict for the gaming industry of the future?

#2 Posted by Minishdriveby (9955 posts) -

Constant delays for giant blockbusters as developer time and team ramp up along with a larger influx of smaller games that can release sooner and don't try to take advantage of a system's hardware.

#3 Posted by coasterguy65 (5719 posts) -

Sony TV...soon to be followed by MS TV.

#4 Posted by Jacanuk (3621 posts) -

More indie games, a huge rise in smaller indie games and bigger indie games in the AAA catagory to fill the singleplayer hole left by the major publishers and developers move to mp games with a heavy focus on microtransactions.

#5 Posted by Behardy24 (2294 posts) -

VR!

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (68827 posts) -

I think we're going to see more of indie games flurrishing and big games becoming even grander with delays all over the place. VR might also become a thing aswell

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8544 posts) -

The future of gaming will be very very unpleasant for me.

#8 Posted by Jeager_Titan (918 posts) -

Gaming will become a service.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8544 posts) -

@Jeager_Titan

Can you imagine a service like "gameflix", pay a monthly fee and have access to a full library of games....

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8544 posts) -

@Jeager_Titan

LMAO That would be a nightmare for me..... Never "owning" my games ? I just can't deal with that.

Also Sony and Microsoft have already fired up their own streaming services so you can bet that even in this future.... We will still have exlcusives on hardware....

#12 Posted by dethtrain (384 posts) -

Gaming will become a service.

Yup. I definitely see that happening and I know it's not going to be consumer friendly. Sony is trying to do that I think with the playstation now service. I was expecting another video game crash with all the garbage and nickel and diming going on but who knows.

#13 Posted by Jeager_Titan (918 posts) -

@Jeager_Titan

LMAO That would be a nightmare for me..... Never "owning" my games ? I just can't deal with that.

Also Sony and Microsoft have already fired up their own streaming services so you can bet that even in this future.... We will still have exlcusives on hardware....

Then screw this. I know what will be the future of gaming in my life. I am going to give up gaming one day.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8544 posts) -

@Jeager_Titan

Me too..... I wana get back into Arts and Crafts..... I should probably make preperations right now..... You never know how quickly things might go South.

#15 Posted by Pedro (20984 posts) -

The death of console gaming. :o

#16 Posted by SovietsUnited (1773 posts) -

Even if there is a crash some people are predicting, a resurgence will follow

VR!

Hopefully!

#17 Posted by Mercuria1_King (263 posts) -

That it would be futuristic.

#18 Posted by XOne_ShotX91 (151 posts) -

microtransactions and forced online interaction. Games like Battlefield with the shortcut bundles and mobile games that are essential pay-to-win and Watch Dogs with the single player invasions.

I'll ignore it as much as I can but I know there will come a point where I just dont play certain games because of this.

#19 Posted by DeusEx_Squid (15 posts) -

Hopefully AAA studios will begin to make more creative indie style games. I doubt it though, there will always be a bigger audience wanting military fps games or whatever time period is the most popular.

#20 Posted by LordFuhnee (15 posts) -

@ariabed: I feel like in the actual game we will see larger, more dynamic and detailed maps. The maps will likely have large amounts of interaction like in Battlefield 4 where you can prettymuch destroy everything, but in a more dynamic and less scripted way. The gameplay aspect of it, I'm hoping for some actually realistic virtual reality gear, like not just the oculus or morpheus but with full control. That is a little far fetched but it would bring an entire new immersion aspect to games.

#21 Posted by Ariabed (1094 posts) -

@lordfuhnee: "That is a little far fetched but it would bring an entire new immersion aspect to games"

Nothing is far fetched when talking about the future, just think back to the olden days when everything was black and white because not even colour was invented yet, and look what we have now.

#22 Edited by outworld222 (2310 posts) -

Hopefully the future of gaming will have some sort of controller buttons and not some holographic back to the future stuff. If that's the case then you can count my out.

#23 Posted by MDK12345 (289 posts) -

So PS5 is just going to be a service, right? When is it coming?

#24 Posted by marlobc (788 posts) -

We saw how motion gaming failed within hardcore fanbase , i dont think VR will be popular until next generation arrives or in the later half of this generation